I heard Marty Schottenheimer on Sirius radio today and

Tipster19

The original Mike Leach may be available after this season.

As I recall, Spurrier eschewed the long hours of your typical NFL HC , preferring the golf course, and it was reflected in his team's on-field performance. He was a freaking disaster in DC.

The real Mike Leach, OTOH, embraces long hours and - unlike Spurrier (and certainly unlike Jauron), gives great post-game pressers, like his response to this incident...

Tortilla Touchdown

Said Leach...

"I have a real problem with us getting penalized with the throwing of tortillas, especially when you don't know who is throwing them anyway. At no level do I see where the Red Raider football team is responsible at all for any tortillas being thrown. We watch over them very carefully, and before they ever go on the field, we ensure that none of them have tortillas."

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He was talking about how much success he had in turning losing teams around. He then stated that one of the first mindsets he would implement is that he wasn't looking for players to be better than what they were but instead he just wanted them to be the best that they could be. Simple but profound in my opinion. I have to question not only our coaching but the mindset of our team which is directly related. I think that Schottenheimer would be an excellent coach for our perennial underachievers and if Jauron gets the boot then this is the guy that I would like to replace him with.

You maximize your player's strengths and minimize their weaknesses. Not continue to pound perfectly good square pegs into perfectly good round holes.

Hmmm...Sounds Like Marv Levy

And?? You'd rather NOT be a playoff team?? To get to the SB you need to get to the playoffs where anything can happen. I guess our season being over by week 13 is better for you? Seriously people?

Good God, no. Spurrier is a college coach that was clearly in over his head in the NFL. That would be like bringing in a coach that had experience, but didn't win. Hey...wait a minute....

I wasn't suggesting the Bills being in Super Steve. I was noting that Leach might be another Spurrier based on their backgrounds

As I recall, Spurrier eschewed the long hours of your typical NFL HC , preferring the golf course, and it was reflected in his team's on-field performance. He was a freaking disaster in DC.

The real Mike Leach, OTOH, embraces long hours and - unlike Spurrier (and certainly unlike Jauron), gives great post-game pressers, like his response to this incident...

Yes. bringing in a HC with zero NFL experience because he gives a good press conference is just the kind of top-notch football thinking I've come to expect from you, Sen.

Yes. bringing in a HC with zero NFL experience because he gives a good press conference is just the kind of top-notch football thinking I've come to expect from you, Sen.

Dear "The Dean" -

Despite your usual snotty tone, you are clearly of a superior mind and I couldn't agree with you more. It is completely unheard of for a successful college head coach, with no NFL experience whatsoever, to jump directly to an NFL head coach's job and be successful, much less win a Superbowl - or two.

Stupid Senator. :thumbsup:

Signed,

Jimmy Johnson

I doubt Marty is ever our coach. That said, he was a couple of fumbles away from the big dance in Cleveland. He won in KC with the likes of Steve Deberg and Older Joe Montana. He put together one of Snyder's only winning teams in Wash. And he lost playoff games to two pretty good teams coached by some of the best coaches in the history of the NFL. I think Marty can coach in Buffalo any day and not have to apologize for anything.

A couple of fumbles, and allowing that little 98 yard drive (the one they call "The Drive"), to Elway at home with the lead and just a few minutes left in the game.

However, had his defense kept Elway from making "The Drive" and his Browns had gone to the SB that season, they would have matched up 100% better against the Giants, and I think they may have even won the game. A lot of things go into a coaches Conference Championship and SB games records. Nobody gives Marv Levy credit for his sterling 4-1 record in AFC Championship games, naturally becuase of his 0-4 record in SB's.

Tony Dungy had problems getting over the playoff win hump in Tampa, and then the very season he left for Indy, Gruden strolled in and won a SB with Dungy's Bucs. Finally, Dungy got past the Pats after a few years losing to them with the Colts, and into the SB, and had an inferior Bears team waiting for him in rainy Miami. Bang, he wins the Lombardi, and lives the rest of his life as a Hall of Fame coach and mentor to NFL felons.

Marty never got lucky in the playoffs. That doesn't mean the NFL should give up on him yet if he still has the energy and desire to coach. Tony Dungy, Marv Levy, John Gruden and Marty. All four outstanding coaches who knew how to build and / or motivate a team to win at the highest levels. Two got lucky, and two didn't. Of course I would love to see Marty end his coaching career with 3 to 5 years in Buffalo after Dick goes away this season. Why not?? He was drafted by Ralph Wilson as a linebacker back in the mid 60's. Why not finish up his outstanding coaching career back here where it all started for him as a player?? :thumbsup:

Dear "The Dean" -

Despite your usual snotty tone, you are clearly of a superior mind and I couldn't agree with you more. It is completely unheard of for a successful college head coach, with no NFL experience whatsoever, to jump directly to an NFL head coach's job and be successful, much less win a Superbowl - or two.

Stupid Senator. :lol:

Signed,

Jimmy Johnson

Jimmy Johnson DID come to the NFL with zero previous NFL experience. I might note it was 20 years ago, and the NFL was a bit different then than it is now, but I won't. :)

Instead I will point out Jimma's early record as an NFL head coach:

1989 (his first at Dallas and in the NFL) 1-15

1989 7-9 (Dick Jauron's favorite record)

In today's NFL, it is unlikely Johnson would have had a third season as the Cowboy's HC.

So, you make a good point, there. :thumbsup:

But understand, I'm not arguing Leach CAN'T or WON'T be a good NFL coach, I'm simply pointing out that head coaching success in college football rarely translates to HC success in the NFL. This is particularly true when the HC is without ANY NFL experience. It becomes even less likely when the college HC's success is a product of an offense that doesn't really translate to the NFL (thus the Steve Spurrier comparisons).

Now, I wouldn't take the cheap shots if you could articulate why you believe Leach is the man who will be the exception. So far you have cited his press conferences. So, again, I will point out the stupidity of that.

I suppose in light of today's firing of the OC 10 days before the 1st game that this team is still fine, heading in the right direction, and just underachieving a little. :thumbsup:

The 5-11 question was straightforward and in reference to previous claims that the 2005 Bills team, which went 5-11, was in fact a talentless shambles. This judgment has been used to show that Levy had no choice but to blow the entire thing up with a nuke. Of the starters on that 2005 team, it is interesting to note that roughly half of them were still playing in the NFL 3 years later. Evans, Reed, Schobel, McGee, and Kelsay are still starters in Buffalo. The weakest units with the fewest players still in the NFL: <insert drum roll> ... the offensive and defensive lines. (What a shock.) And, of course, we can throw in QB with both Holcomb and Losman falling by the wayside of the road. As for Mike Mularkey; he's probably not too upset with his position with the Falcons given what happened today.

Jimmy Johnson DID come to the NFL with zero previous NFL experience. I might note it was 20 years ago, and the NFL was a bit different then than it is now, but I won't. ;)

Instead I will point out Jimma's early record as an NFL head coach:

1989 (his first at Dallas and in the NFL) 1-15

1989 7-9 (Dick Jauron's favorite record) Senator's note:I presume you meant 1990, yes Dean?

In today's NFL, it is unlikely Johnson would have had a third season as the Cowboy's HC.

So, you make a good point, there. :wallbash:

Yes Dean, while I (and most others) would disagree, thanks for pointing out that - in your opinion - JJ's 6-win improvement from season 1 to season 2 would not have earned him the opportunity for a season 3 to improve yet further to 11-5, and then go on to win the Superbowl in seasons 4 & 5! :wallbash:

Sure glad you're not the Bills' GM - a 6-win improvement to 13-3 would get Jauron fired, I guess!

(BTW, I think Dick would argue that 13-3 is his favorite record, just one that he's apparently incapable of reprising. B-) )

Considering that Johnson was in his first year replacing Cowboys' legend Tom Landry and had a 1st-year QB in Troy Aikman, I think just about every person on the planet, other than you, would say that a 6-win improvement from a 1-15 season (with a rookie QB) to 7-9 shows marked improvement, demonstrates clearly that the team is moving in the right direction, and more than justifies a 3rd season, so I'm not sure WTF your point is when you say it's unlikely JJ would get a 3rd season in today's NFL to further improve to 11-5, then go on to win consecutive Superbowls in seasons 4 & 5.

But that's just me. Your superior football mind apparently tells you differently.

But understand, I'm not arguing Leach CAN'T or WON'T be a good NFL coach, I'm simply pointing out that head coaching success in college football rarely translates to HC success in the NFL. This is particularly true when the HC is without ANY NFL experience. It becomes even less likely when the college HC's success is a product of an offense that doesn't really translate to the NFL (thus the Steve Spurrier comparisons).

Now, I wouldn't take the cheap shots if you could articulate why you believe Leach is the man who will be the exception. So far you have cited his press conferences. So, again, I will point out the stupidity of that.

Yeah, Dean, that's my whole reasoning right there...I'm saying Leach would obviously succeed as an NFL head coach, because he's very entertaining at the podium. <_<

(If you truly think that, then maybe it's not my stupidity that you're pointing out.)

Or maybe I was just suggesting that, in addition to making a great NFL head coach (IMHO), he's also very entertaining at the podium?

In any case, what you (and many others) either fail to see or deliberately choose to overlook - is that Leach is a brilliant offensive schemer who is simply, at least as far as the NFL goes, way ahead of his time.

Or maybe not...

The Spread: Spreading to the N.F.L.?

Read on...

The spread offense is no longer a collegiate novelty act. It’s a tool for winning in the pros, a tool Meyer helped build with his version of the innovative offense. As colleague Chris Harry recently pointed out in a story about the spread offense, at least seven NFL teams could use the spread this season – including the Patriots, who went 18-1 in 2007 with Tom Brady rifling from spread formations. Belichick and Meyer are close buddies, so don’t be surprised if Meyer is an understudy ready to supplant the Patriots coach once he hangs it up in three, 10, 15 years. Who knows?

Link - Meyer’s next move will be to the NFL

Most significantly, Belichick has soaked up and incorporated elements of Meyer's spread offense. Meyer, however, is quick to tell you that it isn't really his offense, anyway, that, "Most of my ideas are ones that I have borrowed from someone else," adding, "The whole concept of the spread offense started from visiting other great offensive minds."

Belichick turns to unlikey source for coaching advice

(Stupid Belichick - WTF does he know about winning in the NFL anyway? :unsure: )

What Leach does on offense will not only' translate well' to the NFL, it's exactly the direction that many think the NFL is headed.

"Right now, we've been contacted by a minimum of three NFL teams who want to implement a spread element," Meyer said last month. "They're going to do it."

NFL teams eyeing spread offense

And, of course, Leach is a naturally smart guy - more than smart enough to do whatever it takes to adapt his schemes to today's NFL.

Then, there's this...

1) Leach has built a top-notch program - one that competes successfully against NCAA powerhouses with far bigger budgets - from the ground up, with far less recruiting power and a budget a fraction the size of of the top-ranked national programs. In other words, he does more with less - a quality that I think would serve him well in The BuffTown - and seems to be able to get the best out of his players (another quality we haven't seen here in a while).

2) Leach seems to have a magic way with QBs, guiding TT to 6 NCAA passing titles (and 3 total offense titles) in his 9 years (the years his passing offense wasn't ranked #1, it was #2 or #3) and hey - we've been looking for a little offense and some QB magic here in Buffalo for quite a while, no?

3) Leach has never had a losing season as a head coach and received three national coach of the year awards in 2008 - the Woody Hayes Award, Howie Long/Fieldturf Coach of the Year, and George Munger Award.

IOW, I think the guy's MORE than capable of making the jump to the NFL, and being as wildly successful there as he has in everything else he's done. In fact, Leach's resume reminds me quite a bit of JJ's before he jumped to the NFL - which might explain why they hang together...

Great Minds Drink Alike

There. I've handed you your next cheap shot. Now you can call me stupid for suggesting that Leach will be a great NFL coach because he's standing next to Jimmy Johnson in a photograph. :w00t:

Or maybe it's just because he says things like...

"If (former Tech quarterback) B.J. (Symons) is a product of the system, then he's not getting any of those touchdown passes and all those yards. That means our coaching staff is," Leach said. "That would also mean we could go down to 7-Eleven and get the clerk behind the counter and let him play quarterback."