Gameplan vs NE

Simon

We can probably deduce quite a bit of it by looking at what the Bills are not running in the preseason.

No screens means we probably see the Bills using them attempting to slow down the Pats pass rush.

No looks to the TE with the first unit offense means we see a heavy dose of it vs the Pats LB's.

No carries outside the Tackles means we'll probably try to get Fred wide a bunch of times.

Very few shots downfield means we'll probably take more than a couple vs NE.

Will it work? Who knows, but it's an appropriate gameplan vs NE and what we should probably expect to see.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We can probably deduce quite a bit of it by looking at what the Bills are not running in the preseason.

No screens means we probably see the Bills using them attempting to slow down the Pats pass rush.

No looks to the TE with the first unit offense means we see a heavy dose of it vs the Pats LB's.

No carries outside the Tackles means we'll probably try to get Fred wide a bunch of times.

Very few shots downfield means we'll probably take more than a couple vs NE.

Will it work? Who knows, but it's an appropriate gameplan vs NE and what we should probably expect to see.

I think we will also do a lot of double TE sets till we do (or don't) gain confidence in the OL's ability.

We may also come out passing a lot and involving Evans while using TO as a decoy

May blitz a lot initially while challenging their WRs to beat our DBs.

I do not expect a lot of trick plays in the beginning.

The key is to get a jump on the score before the Pats* adjust. To state the obvious, it will all depend on how our key personnel perform - especially Edwards and the OL.

So you're in the "Jauron's been sandbagging it" camp? Essentially, we've been doing the opposite of what we will do.

Although I'm highly doubtful, it's a nice thought seeing as how what we've been doing has failed so miserably. I'm sure we'll see some more screens, deep throws and such, but I'm not sure I'll call it a game plan just yet.

What wouldn't surprise me is to see less no huddle. Not that they scrap it all together, but that they only use it occasionally. Considering how little its been used in Buffalo, it would make sense to use it exclusively in the preseason just to get it down as much as possible prior to the regular season - even if you only intend to use it for 3-4 series per game.

I think we will also do a lot of double TE sets till we do (or don't) gain confidence in the OL's ability.

We may also come out passing a lot and involving Evans while using TO as a decoy

The key is to get a jump on the score before the Pats* adjust. To state the obvious, it will all depend on how our key personnel perform - especially Edwards and the OL.

Not sure the Bills can afford to use T.O. as a decoy. Right now, he's about the only WR out there who can fight through coverage and still make the catch. Depends on how they roll their coverage, of course -- if they want to double 81, I'm sure Evans will be pleased.

Assuming they don't blitz the crap out of Edwards and that new line with all those young, fast LBs. Think you're right about the two-TE sets; I do NOT want to see McIntyre out there in the base offense. (Nothing personal; I just think that if Schonert wants his best 11 out there, those plans don't include a FB.)

The Bills haven't done this in 3 years. Why would they start now? I think they should blitz the heck out of Brady, but I fully expect to see our LBs backpeddling in space watching the play while the CBs backpeddle to keep things in front of them. While our front four get easily handled by their 5 linemen and Brady has all day to pick us apart. Offensively, Trent will get blitzed heavy until he proves he can beat it. So, he'll take what the defense is giving him... alot of underneath dumpoffs for little gain.

I want to be wrong, but this team has given me no reason to think differently. :ph34r:

Not sure the Bills can afford to use T.O. as a decoy. Right now, he's about the only WR out there who can fight through coverage and still make the catch. Depends on how they roll their coverage, of course -- if they want to double 81, I'm sure Evans will be pleased.

Assuming they don't blitz the crap out of Edwards and that new line with all those young, fast LBs. Think you're right about the two-TE sets; I do NOT want to see McIntyre out there in the base offense. (Nothing personal; I just think that if Schonert wants his best 11 out there, those plans don't include a FB.)

With so many new personnel in our O, coaches on both sides of the sideline will be probing to find out what we really have. To that extent, early blitzes from their side can be expected - the upside is that they can rattle TE early if successful and if not successful, they may not have a huge downside as we haven't shown the propensity to take advantage of the mis matches down the field.

Regarding TO, I think there will be opportunities no matter which way the Pats* decide to roll their coverage - TO or Evans' side. Again, whether we are capable of taking advantage is another matter i.e. will Reed get separation ? can Jackson find an opening in the flat ?

offensively speaking, I also would think it would be wise to use a lot of 2 TE formations. It's our first game of the year against arguably the best team in the NFL, we have a very inexperienced offensive line, and I think it would be prudent to run the ball and give max protection to our QB. Hopefully if Trent has enough time, you would think that T.O and Evans should have a good chance at getting open.

I would hope to use the No - huddle as a supplemental part of the offense, to either try to get things going or keep them off balanced. I imagine we will not use the No huddle as our base offense.

I think the most important thing we can do is try to establish the run game, be somewhat effective with possession passes and mix in some deeper passes.

To me this would make the most sense.

Gameplan for ne* game:

Unveil "new offense" by taking the opening drive down to the pats* 8 yard line.

On 3rd and goal, run into the middle of the line so we "don't commit a mistake" trying for the endzone.

Kick FG to take a 3-0 lead.

Watch Bill belicheat* systematically dismantle the offense and defense over the next 3 quarters, using our first drive as a template, since jauron cannot/will not make adjustments.

Fall behind 41-3 while gaining 62 total yards of offense.

Score TD with 4 minutes left in the game to make it "respectable."

Lose 41-10.

I swear, when i see belicheat* vs. jauron, it reminds me of Red Beaulieu coaching against Coach Klein in "The Waterboy." Hell, dick jauron even looks like henry winkler.

Not my thread, but can we keep the negativity out of this one ? There are plenty of other threads for that. Let us, for the moment, think about what strategies can be tried and discuss the pros/cons of them. I don't think Simon intended to debate how the game will unfold but rather what the Bills can do to be successful against the Pats*.

I could not disagree more. Too conservative. I would rather see 3 and 4 WR sets to open up the field. It is sick that Marshawn is out for this game.

That would be nice, if we had a more experienced offensive line. I like the idea of opening it up, but considering that we are playing on the road (which most likely means a very loud and raucous crowd) against the *Pats, with an inexperienced line, I just don't see how we would be able to get ample time to get the ball off on a consistent basis. Do you?