Well this certainly changes things

You've been backing up the front office for quite some time now. My point remains that the Bills traded Peters and intended to replace him with LW at almost the outset of the off-season. Now they're changing again. This is not merely about depth chart and making cosmetic changes. We're talking about starting a second guy at the most important OLine position in four months.

How many teams change their starting LT out of camp? Not many teams do. Bumping a guy up at WR or LB is one thing. Potentially changing your LT to a guy who hasn't started an NFL game is another. This is, if it happens, major stuff.

If Bell starts and Walker is benched or outright released, that's 14 failed FA's fro 2006-2007. That's how I know the front office is bad.

He may be a mediocre OT, but unless they can save beaucoup $, I can't see him being outright released... if nothing else, April will still want him for his kick-blocking skills.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, that makes me feel better then, knowing that if that's true, I must be right.

FYI I never said I thought he was better, btw.

My bad. I thought that is what you were implying. Just curious as to why you would question who thinks Langston Walker would be better than Brad Butler.

You only want to play someone at a given position if:

a) you can win a Superbowl with them there OR

b) you think that they can develop into someone who you can win a Superbowl with.

I don't think we're going to see much more development out of Langston Walker. He is an 8 year pro. He pretty much is what he is. So, can the Bill win a championship with him at LT? RT?

My bad. I thought that is what you were implying. Just curious as to why you would question who thinks Langston Walker would be better than Brad Butler.

Because I don't think it's a guarantee that he is. I have been pleasantly surprised with how well Butler has handled RT, and I'd take his attitude and style of play over Walker's any day (if they are even).

Much has been said about the line not being athletic enough over the last few years to accomplish simple tasks such as screen plays and draws. I can only assume Walker was a key contributor to that, since he is the largest and least mobile guy on the line by far. If Butler can play RT, which up to this point he's shown me that he can, his nastiness, aggressiveness and mobility may be the better option to go with at RT.

However, I don't believe Butler vs Walker is the only factor in the debate for who starts at RT. IMO, the real question is the progression of Levitre. That is what will decide. It is basically a question of who you'd rather have on the line, Levitre or Walker. IMO, if it was merely a question of who to put at RT, I'd choose Butler. But the question really is, is Levitre Wood and Butler a stronger combination than Wood Butler Walker? Not sure about that one.

Because I don't think it's a guarantee that he is. I have been pleasantly surprised with how well Butler has handled RT, and I'd take his attitude and style of play over Walker's any day (if they are even).

Much has been said about the line not being athletic enough over the last few years to accomplish simple tasks such as screen plays and draws. I can only assume Walker was a key contributor to that, since he is the largest and least mobile guy on the line by far. If Butler can play RT, which up to this point he's shown me that he can, his nastiness, aggressiveness and mobility may be the better option to go with at RT.

However, I don't believe Butler vs Walker is the only factor in the debate for who starts at RT. IMO, the real question is the progression of Levitre. That is what will decide. It is basically a question of who you'd rather have on the line, Levitre or Walker. IMO, if it was merely a question of who to put at RT, I'd choose Butler. But the question really is, is Levitre Wood and Butler a stronger combination than Wood Butler Walker? Not sure about that one.

Fair enough. I don't think Butler is very good, and definitely think there is no question over who is a better RT, it would be Walker. The only question would be are we better off with Butler or Levitre at OG. Butler is better right now, but I think I want the two rookies to play as they are the future. And Butler could be a valuable back-up as he could play G or T in a pinch, like Chambers, only a little better. I like Butler's nastiness and attitude, too, I just don't think he is very good.

You only want to play someone at a given position if:

a) you can win a Superbowl with them there OR

b) you think that they can develop into someone who you can win a Superbowl with.

I don't think we're going to see much more development out of Langston Walker. He is an 8 year pro. He pretty much is what he is. So, can the Bill win a championship with him at LT? RT?

LW is and above average RT and he has done well in that capacity for the Bills. He is certainly better than Butler, or at least much more proven, at that position.

The Bills are fascinated with seeing how guys fare outside their natural position.

Walker, Butler, Wilson, Byrd, Maybin at LB, etc. etc.

I have a silly idea, why not try to play guys at their natural position and see what happens? Or, not dradft guys that connot play their natural position, in the NFL?

LT Bell

LG Wood

C Hangartner

RG Butler

RT Walker

Levitre first man off the bench at Guard.

Chambers first man off at Tackle

i agreee, thats the most talented 5some, the question is there enough time for them to gel as a unit in 2 weeks.

I'll say it again: if this works, they're lucky/geniuses.

Chances are it won't, though, in which case they're even bigger idiots than any of us could ever have imagined. They didn't have to trade Peters, you know. They didn't have to draft Maybin over Oher. What's so amazing is that this is a DO OR DIE season not just for the coaching staff, but also, likely, for much if not all of the front office. Oh man, talk about crashing and burning...

Because he is not worth the $$ he is getting at RT. He is a pretty good pass blocker for a RT but a poor run blocker. I said this several times over the last few weeks: LW is either going to make it at LT or will be gone after this season.

you can speed that up

Walker is probably gone before his 2009 salary vests

How about the contracts those guys got. Surely no world beaters, but definitely money well spent, do you think high and mighty one?

What the hell kind of nonsense is this?

Here I'll help you:

Failure- (n)

What the hell kind of nonsense is this?

This sort of nonsense:

1. Dockery-49M over 7 seasons.

2. Walker-25M over 5

3. Tripplett-18.5M over 5

4. Royal-12.5M over 5

5. P. Price-10M over 4

6. Fowler-7M over 3

7. Reyes-5M over 2

8. Kiwaukee Thomas

9. Matt Bowen

10. Anthony Thomas

11. Craig Nall

12. Andre Davis

13. Jason Webster

14. Jason Whittle

130M in contracts over 2 seasons. Granted not all of that was paid, but these UFA signings are typical of this front office: quantity over qualitiy. I don't expect them sign a marquee UFA each season, but wouldn't it be better to sign one or two solid UFA's then a bunch of bad ones?

This sort of nonsense:

1. Dockery-49M over 7 seasons.

2. Walker-25M over 5

3. Tripplett-18.5M over 5

4. Royal-12.5M over 5

5. P. Price-10M over 4

6. Fowler-7M over 3

7. Reyes-5M over 2

8. Kiwaukee Thomas

9. Matt Bowen

10. Anthony Thomas

11. Craig Nall

12. Andre Davis

13. Jason Webster

14. Jason Whittle

130M in contracts over 2 seasons. Granted not all of that was paid, but these UFA signings are typical of this front office: quantity over qualitiy. I don't expect them sign a marquee UFA each season, but wouldn't it be better to sign one or two solid UFA's then a bunch of bad ones?

Last year: Stroud and Mitchel brought in.

This year: Owens and Rhodes brought in.

Last year: Stroud and Mitchel brought in.

This year: Owens and Rhodes brought in.

2008: 7-9 (0-6 in division play; 2-8 in final 10)

Stroud and Mitchell were improvements, but they couldn't make up for poor coaching and inferior all-around play.

Owens will help, but he plays a position which relies on OL and QB play. Rhodes will eventually become the 3rd string RB.

Skill players without top notch OL and DL play aren't worth much.

2008: 7-9 (0-6 in division play; 2-8 in final 10)

Stroud and Mitchell were improvements, but they couldn't make up for poor coaching and inferior all-around play.

Owens will help, but he plays a position which relies on OL and QB play. Rhodes will eventually become the 3rd string RB.

Skill players without top notch OL and DL play aren't worth much.

I don't disagree with any of that, but you said you'd just like to see them bring in 1 or 2 quality players each year rather than the usual bums (I'm paraphrasing). So, I pointed out that they've done exactly that each of the last 2 years.