Terrence McGee and Bills discussing

Terrence McGee is a good player but not an elite cornerback in my book and seems to be getting a bit more dinged up in games. He'll turn 29 this season. Hope they don't go crazy on the money but I imagine he'll at least get as good a contract as Jabbari Greer got in free agency this year.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/775885.html

Well, he is going to require some big money whether or not he is worth it. But to win in this league, sometimes you have to pay quality players like pro-bowlers. It's just the way it is. We let him go, we are going to have to be drafter a cornerback high in the draft next year.

Well, he is going to require some big money whether or not he is worth it. But to win in this league, sometimes you have to pay quality players like pro-bowlers. It's just the way it is. We let him go, we are going to have to be drafter a cornerback high in the draft next year.

no we won't...that's why we drafted McKelvin...only on a dick jauron team would people think we need 2 1st round draft picks/pro bowl calibre players at CB at all times

Terrence McGee is a good player but not an elite cornerback in my book and seems to be getting a bit more dinged up in games. He'll turn 29 this season. Hope they don't go crazy on the money but I imagine he'll at least get as good a contract as Jabbari Greer got in free agency this year.

Please god no!!!

I really like McGee but he is getting old and is not worthy of a large 5 year deal. I said it at the end of last season that we should have offered that money to Greer (younger) and traded away McGee. If we got a 6 pack for him that would have been more than letting him go for nothing, or letting Greer go for nothing in this case.

I dont like the thought of drafting another CB just to fill a spot that is lost if we dont retain McGee, but whos to say we will need to draft high at that position with Lankster and Corner playing so well. We can always pick up guys like Florence in FA to fill in spots when needed. I think Lankster and Corner are the real deal and that gives us both of them and McKelvin at our starting CB's and Nickle spots. Id much rather save the money were looking at spending on McGee and get another needed position in FA next year. Maybe another DE, DT, OLB, G, T, QB, WR (if we dont resign TO), RB (if we cut ties with ML because he cant stay out of trouble).

If his contract demands are determined to be unreasonable I think we'll let him walk with no hesitation. We have some pretty good young CB's in McKelvin, Corner, Youboty(injury prone though), Lankster(looks like he could be a star), and don't forget about Jairus Byrd, who was a good CB in college, even though they're talking of him playing FS. Would I like to keep McGee? Yes, but I wouldn't give up outrageous money just to do so.

If his contract demands are determined to be unreasonable I think we'll let him walk with no hesitation. We have some pretty good young CB's in McKelvin, Corner, Youboty(injury prone though), Lankster(looks like he could be a star), and don't forget about Jairus Byrd, who was a good CB in college, even though they're talking of him playing FS. Would I like to keep McGee? Yes, but I wouldn't give up outrageous money just to do so.

But if we resign him, that is one less DB we will choose in next years draft

There aren't that many really good players on this team. they can't just let them all walk because the player is "getting old". You have to keep some of those players around. That's the problem, we have way too many young players on this team that are average.

I would like to see McGee stay (with a reasonable contract, of course).

Good news.

and 29 getting old? Until what age did Darrel Green play effective football?

Hopefully it would be a 4 year contract somewhere in the ball park of $20-25 Million

OK, but really, we are not going to start making comparison's between McGee and Darrel Green, are we?

I agree with your numbers.

I think this is good news and hope the deal gets done for a reasonable amount of $$. For the record, I think Youboty will be released.

Good news.

and 29 getting old? Until what age did Darrel Green play effective football?

Hopefully it would be a 4 year contract somewhere in the ball park of $20-25 Million

I agree with those numbers as well if thats what we can get him for. But if he asked for more than that Id say let him walk. Dont get me wrong. I really like McGee but the guys gonna be 30. Just like any other position in the NFL once you hit that mark you start to lose a step. It might be a little ok to lose a step as a QB, LB, or WR (with good hands and route running), but if you lose a step as a DB and get smoked by young stud WR's everybody sees that. We already have removed him from the ST unit because he has had a few small injuries and we didnt want to add to his workload. We also have Lankster, McKelvin and Corner. I doubt Youboty will be here after this year unless he lights it up in the season and that would be another good CB we have.

And you cant even think about comparing the (at the time) fastest player in NFL history and a HOF'er with McGee. The guy has had a few TD's on KR's and INT's. I dont think he will EVER be close to being mentioned for the HOF.

You mean we're actually going to re-sign one of our star corners for once?

I know, it's weird. I even fell into the trap by saying that I wish we kept Greer instead... like it wasn't even an option to have both guys. :wallbash:

I think McGee is quite good. If he wants 5-6 million a year for a guy who is already 29, which is highly unlikely, I would sign him up. But if he wants, 7-8 million, which is highly likely, that's a very difficult call. We will probably lose another good CB next year because someone will pay him a little more than he is worth (like Clements), and possibly Winfield (although Winfield's Viking deal looks more and more like a steal).

The problem lies with Youboty. If he plays well this year, and stays healthy, he could move into the starting line-up next year and wqe would still have Florence and Corner for the nickel and dime. I really wouldn't want to go into the season with Corner or Florence as a starter unless we see something in their play this year when the real bullets fly that warrants it. But Youboty is not a sure thing either, and he is a UFA, too, I think. He just wouldn't cost 7-8 million a year to re-sign.

With the occasional exception like chambers torching of him in ~07(?) fro 200+ yards, McGee has been a solid player for years. He has made some game winning plays and could probably still do damage returning kicks and punts.

Why not re-sign the guy. I agree Jabari worked his tail off and was a sad loss, but McGee has played consistently well against some very good receivers, and has been the bills #1 corner for years. He likely still has 3-4 solid years left.