Maybin in tears

For those of you on this board that have called him greedy and questioned his heart or desire, read this article on ESPN. The kid WANTS to play, and badly. As lame as it sounds, if you read his posts on twitter he seems like a pretty serious and dedicated football player. I hope he gets signed soon because he wants to play, and he will help the team.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp...ce=NFLHeadlines

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those of you on this board that have called him greedy and questioned his heart or desire, read this article on ESPN. The kid WANTS to play, and badly. As lame as it sounds, if you read his posts on twitter he seems like a pretty serious and dedicated football player. I hope he gets signed soon because he wants to play, and he will help the team.

I'd cry too, if there were millions within my grasp...and be happy to say that the reason for my sobbing was my love of the game and go on and wring my hands about these evil forces all around me. Those forces that can't find their way to give me more millions so I can dry my eyes and unburden my heavy heart.

It's tough being 21, and not being able to sign a contract for millions of dollars. I'm a victim of needing more money. It's not my fault! - that darn extra money is keeping me away from - my love of the game.

Spare me the drama queen stuff and get into camp. If he really wants to play put some pressure on your agent to get it done. Ask Eric Wood.

Here's the deal, and it's simple.

Maybin is a good kid. Hopefully he's a good player. But he has the rare opportunity to make an important statement, to set a precedent.

Okay, Aaron. There are about eight dozen agents out there who would jump at the chance to serve you. Fire the prick who is preventing you from making an impact for the team that is about to give you ludicrous gobs of cash. There is no GOOD reason why his agent needs to see Crabtree's numbers. Base it on last year's slot, plus the % raise given to Moreno.

Done.

Short of that, he can say whatever he wants about "the business side of things". But it will all be the same old BS anyone can utter. There's nothing special about Maybin right now. Nothing at all.

But there could be...

You there Aaron?

I have a fantastic suggestion, forget what the #10 selection will receive, then settle for less.

This way you can enjoy your NFL career, and save a ton of money buying cleanex for the boat load of tears

This is why some players represent themselves and dump agents every year, its your career, not theirs.

Maybin is a good kid. Hopefully he's a good player. But he has the rare opportunity to make an important statement, to set a precedent.

Okay, Aaron. There are about eight dozen agents out there who would jump at the chance to serve you. Fire the prick who is preventing you from making an impact for the team that is about to give you ludicrous gobs of cash. There is no GOOD reason why his agent needs to see Crabtree's numbers. Base it on last year's slot, plus the % raise given to Moreno.

Done.

Short of that, he can say whatever he wants about "the business side of things". But it will all be the same old BS anyone can utter. There's nothing special about Maybin right now. Nothing at all.

But there could be...

You there Aaron?

Good post.

I'd cry too, if there were millions within my grasp...and be happy to say that the reason for my sobbing was my love of the game and go on and wring my hands about these evil forces all around me. Those forces that can't find their way to give me more millions so I can dry my eyes and unburden my heavy heart.

It's tough being 21, and not being able to sign a contract for millions of dollars. I'm a victim of needing more money. It's not my fault! - that darn extra money is keeping me away from - my love of the game.

Outstanding! :unsure:

He -and others- can attempt to spin it any way they want. This spin is the most accurate.

Done.

But there could be...

You there Aaron?

perfectly crafted. :unsure:

Whats up w/ Maybin hanging out w/ Arrington?

Lavar has been reduced to being a hanging on to a college kid. You can be sure if the kid was drafted in the 8th round. Lavar Arrington wuld have narry a word to say to the kid.

Up to a certain degree all the players are absolutly spot-on; they are out there creating the dollars, they are the industry called NFL. Yet as a player, why are you holding out so long that your value to the team and with that your playing time will decrease by the day. What is 1 million more or less on 20 million guaranteed?

You want to play but as a result of business reasons you may be loosing your shot at even playing at all during the season. It's a loop created by the owners themselves, they used to underpay the players that were their $$$ making machines, as a result players turned to people to negotiate for them, agents were born and now through capatilist evolution agents have turned the greediness around on the owners themselves which result in hurting in the game and with that the industry called NFL. There is no way Maybin will not suffer in one way or another from skipping camp.

Doesn't matter which side you side with, in the end both parties are hurting the industry; the customers (fans) are being victimised as a result. I honestly question if either side realizes this.

:unsure:

I understand these guys can get cut at any moment with no compensation. But I could care less.

These guys are paid more money than the majority of people on this board playing a GAME. Why

should I care if he gets 500K more for ruining his career??

My biggest problem is, he will eventually sign for a little more than what the Bills are offering, but

he needs to look at the ramifications of holding out and the impact it will have on his first NFL season

and how it impacts his team mates.

As for the "tears", :unsure: him!

Okay, Aaron. There are about eight dozen agents out there who would jump at the chance to serve you. Fire the prick who is preventing you from making an impact for the team that is about to give you ludicrous gobs of cash.

Come on now! Chafie Fields (Maybin's agent, I'm guessing an underling of Segal's) gotta make a name for himself and feed his family! He didn't make jack squat in his one failed season in the NFL (2000).

I have a fantastic suggestion, forget what the #10 selection will receive, then settle for less.

This way you can enjoy your NFL career, and save a ton of money buying cleanex for the boat load of tears

This is why some players represent themselves and dump agents every year, its your career, not theirs.

If he dumped his agent and signed a % increase from Moreno, he'd make way more...how much is he giving to his agent?

I've got a novel idea....how about the Bills signing him for a little more just to get him into camp? What's a few extra million from a franchise worth $750M or whatever it is they're worth. If Maybin plays well, then it is money well spent. If not, chalk it up to the price to compete now-a-days.

I'd love to see him in camp like everyone else, but there are two sides to this whole negotiation thing.

Look at similarly slotted players last year. Add some. Sign.

Cry me a river. If he wanted to be here with his millions, he'd be here.

Right.

He can't take the #6 and #16 numbers and figure something out? #7 and #15? #8 and #14? #9 and #13? He absolutely needs #10?

Maybe he's like JAIrus Byrd and hates to practice.

We're talking about practice man. Practice. Not a game. Practice.

unless someone has pics of him crying im simply not buying it especially when its coming from a clown like Arrington

Maybins contract does not hinge on Crabtree signing, there are enough players around him that have signed that a fair deal could get done...Crabtree is hurt and wouldnt be playing right now anyway so it doesnt matter if he is signed now or not

if he wanted to be signed and out there he would be, its not like the Bills are lowballing Maybin, he is simply playing the blame game

perfectly crafted. :unsure:

Whats up w/ Maybin hanging out w/ Arrington?

Lavar has been reduced to being a hanging on to a college kid. You can be sure if the kid was drafted in the 8th round. Lavar Arrington wuld have narry a word to say to the kid.

from what Ive read Lavar is actually Maybins publicist...go figure

These guys must not understand the time value of money. If he signed for a Mil less a couple months ago, and invested it, it would prob be worth more today than the fatter contract he will sign tomorrow. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush....

Up to a certain degree all the players are absolutly spot-on; they are out there creating the dollars, they are the industry called NFL. Yet as a player, why are you holding out so long that your value to the team and with that your playing time will decrease by the day. What is 1 million more or less on 20 million guaranteed?

You want to play but as a result of business reasons you may be loosing your shot at even playing at all during the season. It's a loop created by the owners themselves, they used to underpay the players that were their $$$ making machines, as a result players turned to people to negotiate for them, agents were born and now through capatilist evolution agents have turned the greediness around on the owners themselves which result in hurting in the game and with that the industry called NFL. There is no way Maybin will not suffer in one way or another from skipping camp.

Doesn't matter which side you side with, in the end both parties are hurting the industry; the customers (fans) are being victimised as a result. I honestly question if either side realizes this.

i disagree with your assessment about the players creating the dollars. the 'system' creates the dollars. the money funnelled into the program by the owners creates the dollars. it's why walter payton can be an all-time great, carve out a name for himself and play with honor and dignity------and when he leaves the game, it goes on with nary a blip. if albert haynesworth never plays a snap in washington, he's a dominant player who never played a snap in washington and the game goes on.

as talented as the players are in the nfl---and i'm a believer that they are among the most gifted athletes in the world right down to the special teamers we don't hear so much about, i don't think for a second that if all these guys stopped playing tomorrow that the system wouldn't find the next 1700 or so guys to step up.

that said, the guys who raise to the top deserve to get paid based on the market they can command. the system is now set up to reward rookies early and often, at least through the the top rounds of the draft, and i can't help but think that hurts a ton of players in the short term, though it may drive up salaries for the collective good (of the players) later on.

i don't disagree that the owners are part of the issue and the desire to make money and keep money drives everybody and everything in the organization. put another way---the player's job is to see to the end of his reach. it's a rare player who sees not only what happens to him, but happens to the team as well (i hate to say it, but it seems tom brady is that type of guy). the owner's job is to see to the end of the organization----revenue, personnel, league obligations, staffing, public relations, travel scheduling, etc. using the union analogy--who really deserves the the windfall, especially since it's the owner's money to begin with???

It would be funny to see the Bills sit him the entire year.

Really though, it is a business, and he's trying to get paid the highest amount possible. The problem I see is that it is affecting his performance at his job, which ultimately needs to be rectified.

The NFL needs to set a cap for rookies in my opinion. 1st rounders, 2nd, 3rd, etc all at seperate pay grades and then fnally they get a contract from the drafting team based on performance from the 1st year. I truly cant see how that system would fail.

His people offer the creative excuse that he can't sign until the person drafted in front of him signs. Yet somehow Moreno managed to sign without the guy in front of him (Maybin) being signed. And Orakpo signed with Washington before Moreno signed with Denver. What a load of crapola.

That's the most ridiculous article I've read in a long time. Yeah, he can't figure out what he's worth because of Crabtree. What a crock of sh--. There are 27 other signed first round data points to work from. It takes about two seconds to see a 5 year/$25M/half guaranteed contract is perfectly reasonable and in line with the rest, so he could sign that any damn time he wants to. Tears my ass.

It's pretty apparent to me that most, if not all of you, who have responded to this thread either hate that he's holding out or just outright hate the pick. Am i happy that he's not playing, no. But it's not his damn fault. We are talking about millions of dollars here. He wants to play, but he's not going to rush into it until he is able to do the best for himself and his family. I want him to play as much as anyone, but all of you stop hating. My god, are you telling me that if you could make a million more or hundred thousand more here or there, you wouldn't take it. You f'ing crazy.

So the Bills drafted a sissy boy with the 11th pick? Great...

Or a kid who is hungry to play football. Face it, it is a business first. Would anyone of you settle for less money if you had the choice? And I don't believe Maybin represents himself in contract talks.

That's the most ridiculous article I've read in a long time. Yeah, he can't figure out what he's worth because of Crabtree. What a crock of sh--. There are 27 other signed first round data points to work from. It takes about two seconds to see a 5 year/$25M/half guaranteed contract is perfectly reasonable and in line with the rest, so he could sign that any damn time he wants to. Tears my ass.

Well put, there is no mystery as to what he is going to get. It is merely a matter of putting the deal together, there is more than enough information available to craft a deal in line with what #11 would get. I have no idea why it is contingent on crabtree. average out #9 and #12 get, and get your a$$ into camp son. If you wanted it bad enough, you would be here. If your agent is lacking the sufficient brain cells to forecast the financials of your deal, then he isn't worth the keyboard i typed this on.

Well put, there is no mystery as to what he is going to get. It is merely a matter of putting the deal together, there is more than enough information available to craft a deal in line with what #11 would get. I have no idea why it is contingent on crabtree. average out #9 and #12 get, and get your a$$ into camp son. If you wanted it bad enough, you would be here. If your agent is lacking the sufficient brain cells to forecast the financials of your deal, then he isn't worth the keyboard i typed this on.

Oh, I forgot, it's Maybin who is responsible for all of this. I understand now....Give me a break. His agent is doing what he's hired to do. Make his client money. It sucks, sure, but if Crabtree's agent (and we know him well), wasn't such an f'ing d'bag then we wouldn't be in this situation

Oh, I forgot, it's Maybin who is responsible for all of this. I understand now....Give me a break. His agent is doing what he's hired to do. Make his client money. It sucks, sure, but if Crabtree's agent (and we know him well), wasn't such an f'ing d'bag then we wouldn't be in this situation

but taking the argument to the logical conclusion, isn't crabtree's agent doing what's best for him, and isn't what's best for him to squeeze every nickle out of the game for him? what about crabtree's family and his desire to what's best for them? wouldn't you want to financial guy to actually be a douchebag?

it's really gotten pretty pathetic...first preseason game in the book and guys still not even frigging signed.

Why does he need #10 to sign first?

If this was the case then the last pick in the seventh round would have a long wait every year.

Why can't he use other data points like #9 or 12 or 13 or 8? It is because he is hoping Crabtree gets top 5 money and he can piggy back from that. Blaming Crabtree and his agent is an absolute joke. He was the #11 pick. He does not deserve #6 money.

Is it possible the Bills FO is the holdup? Sure. But blaming Crabtree is dumb to an almost Canadian level.

Don't be suckered in by this. It is like believing JAIrus Byrd really wants to practice but first he had finals and now he all of a sudden needs an operation. The fact of the matter is some of these guys are not about football.

but taking the argument to the logical conclusion, isn't crabtree's agent doing what's best for him, and isn't what's best for him to squeeze every nickle out of the game for him? what about crabtree's family and his desire to what's best for them? wouldn't you want to financial guy to actually be a douchebag?

it's really gotten pretty pathetic...first preseason game in the book and guys still not even frigging signed.

The problem with the Crabtree situation is that he isn't falling into line, which is what normally happens. His agent wants to get him paid as if he was a top 3-5 player. The fact is..he wasn't. He was the 10 pick. Expecting to get paid more than that is crazy. The fact is, however, by him holding out he may force the hand. The other players before and after Crabtree, are banking on the hope that he hits a big payday that would lead to them getting more money. Had he just accepted being picked 10th and taking that money it would be fine. His agent is doing the same thing, but he is going against the grain. Crabtree WAS NOT a top 5 pick and therefore should not be paid as such.

Why does he need #10 to sign first?

If this was the case then the last pick in the seventh round would have a long wait every year.

Why can't he use other data points like #9 or 12 or 13 or 8? It is because he is hoping Crabtree gets top 5 money and he can piggy back from that. Blaming Crabtree and his agent is an absolute joke. He was the #11 pick. He does not deserve #6 money.

Is it possible the Bills FO is the holdup? Sure. But blaming Crabtree is dumb to an almost Canadian level.

Don't be suckered in by this. It is like believing JAIrus Byrd really wants to practice but first he had finals and now he all of a sudden needs an operation. The fact of the matter is some of these guys are not worth about football.

Jairus Byrd? What's wrong with him? He's signed. I'm sure with a pro-bowler father, he'd rather sit at home and watch TV. You people need to stop sniffing so much glue

The problem with the Crabtree situation is that he isn't falling into line, which is what normally happens. His agent wants to get him paid as if he was a top 3-5 player. The fact is..he wasn't. He was the 10 pick. Expecting to get paid more than that is crazy. The fact is, however, by him holding out he may force the hand. The other players before and after Crabtree, are banking on the hope that he hits a big payday that would lead to them getting more money. Had he just accepted being picked 10th and taking that money it would be fine. His agent is doing the same thing, but he is going against the grain. Crabtree WAS NOT a top 5 pick and therefore should not be paid as such.

So Maybin is holding out because the guy picked before him has an inflated view of his own value? Maybin realizes this but decides to use it to his own benefit and get #6 money despite being #11 and he is somehow a victim of circumstance? Poor Maybin.

If Crabtree gets paid more than the #5 or 6 pick should that guy try to re-negotiate? Will the planets soon see the light and start revolving around Crabtree?

Jairus Byrd? What's wrong with him? He's signed. I'm sure with a pro-bowler father, he'd rather sit at home and watch TV. You people need to stop sniffing so much glue

JAIrus Byrd skipped the OTAs because of "final exams", then he signed a contract with a big bonus, then he had to have surgery just before his first practice.

Practice? We're talking about practice? Not a game. Practice.

Don't be suckered in by this. It is like believing JAIrus Byrd really wants to practice but first he had finals and now he all of a sudden needs an operation. The fact of the matter is some of these guys are not worth about football.

an astute and brilliant attempt at button-pushing. sir/madam, my hat is off to you, because i am amused.

jw