Last post wins!

/dev/null

Bacon. Bacon. Bacon. Bacon. Bacon. Bacon. Bacon. Bacon. Bacon. Bacon. Bacon. Bacon.

Pancetta. Pancetta. Pancetta. Pancetta. Pancetta. Pancetta. Pancetta. Pancetta. Pancetta. Pancetta. Pancetta.

Pancetta. Pancetta. Pancetta. Pancetta. Pancetta. Pancetta. Pancetta. Pancetta. Pancetta. Pancetta. Pancetta.

Just not so great bacon .... applewood smoked, thickly sliced crispy bacon is far better.

BTW something I learned long ago - if you like your bacon crispy start cooking it in a cold vs. hot pan. It will crisp up better.

Just not so great bacon .... applewood smoked, thickly sliced crispy bacon is far better.

BTW something I learned long ago - if you like your bacon crispy start cooking it in a cold vs. hot pan. It will crisp up better.

Bite your tongue, man! Pancetta is gourmet bacon! But it isn't something I regularly throw on a plate with eggs. But when a recipe calls for pancetta use it. Smoked bacon is not a good substitute, IMO.

Yes, I use a cold pan (unless making multiple batches).

The best traditional "bacon" I ever had was from Trader Joe's. It was organic (I think) and contained no nitrites. I didn't buy it because it was nitrite free. I noticed it after eating it, when it tasted so great.

\

Try tossing it on a foil covered baking sheet and then a 400o oven. Crisps up nicely and you've got an easier clean-up.

Bite your tongue, man! Pancetta is gourmet bacon! But it isn't something I regularly throw on a plate with eggs. But when a recipe calls for pancetta use it. Smoked bacon is not a good substitute, IMO.

Tongue is bleeding :thumbsup: I get your point. Comparing Pancetta to bacon is like saying prosciutto is just ham. With that said, personally I just don't find pancetta that interesting.

Thanks for the heads up on Trader Joe's I'll check to see if it can be ordered online.

BTW another "sorta" bacon that is fantastic is peameal bacon which is hard to find outside of Canada. This year at the holidays my mother and I are going to try to brine our own. It will be interesting to see if we can get a better result.

Tongue is bleeding :thumbsup: I get your point. Comparing Pancetta to bacon is like saying prosciutto is just ham. With that said, personally I just don't find pancetta that interesting.

Thanks for the heads up on Trader Joe's I'll check to see if it can be ordered online.

BTW another "sorta" bacon that is fantastic is peameal bacon which is hard to find outside of Canada. This year at the holidays my mother and I are going to try to brine our own. It will be interesting to see if we can get a better result.

Peameal bacon is fantastic, but not your typical bacon.

I just Googled Trader Joe's Nitrate Free Bacon, and noticed they have a pre-cooked product like that. That is NOT what I was talking about.

:thumbsup: You are omniscient when it comes to cooking flesh :worthy:

Everything goes well with some fava beans and a nice chianti. ...

another plus with cooking it in the oven(Roberta came up with that) is that if you're cooking for a larger group all the bacon is done at the same time.

Ahhhh, bacon. Man candy.

Man candy? I'd prefer this. :thumbsup:

Everything goes well with some fava beans and a nice chianti. ...

another plus with cooking it in the oven(Roberta came up with that) is that if you're cooking for a larger group all the bacon is done at the same time.

Why the hell has such a smart woman been beside you all these years?