NFL Sunday Ticket Upgrades for 09

Yeah, this is a major rip-off now that HD is supposed to be the "standard" for all television viewing. However, my father told me the other day that he doesn't pay for the Superfan, they gave it to him for free cause he was going to simply get rid of it.

Well, today I called them and asked them their justification for charging me extra for HD when the whole purpose of the ticket is to get local network coverage of all the games. And, if I were to be in the network, and HD option would be available. I told them I didn't want any of the other features, just the HD. They then tried to offer me a discount, but I told them that it still didn't justify charging me for a feature that should be included.

After about 10 minutes on the phone, I just told them to take it off and the operator told me they could offer it to me for free. So yeah, I took that.

Between my father and I, that's two people who got the superfan add-on for free just for saying we wanted to remove it. For those of you out there paying for it, I would recommend trying the same.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wish I had DirecTV and could afford NFL Sunday ticket (Its like over a 100 bucks right). I hate how DirecTV is the only place you can buy the ticket but its business and they pay a lot for the exclusivity. I live in NJ and I get to see the Bills on National TV or when they play the Jets twice a year. I also once a season get to see a game against the Pats or Fins.

So I get to watch 3-5 Bills games from my home each year. I usually go to a sports bar or a friends house to see some more games. All in all I see between 8-11 Bills games every year. I miss a few due to work or just not getting a place to see them. If I can't see them I use NFL.com to track the game in real time.

If I miss a game I usually watch it on the NFL network or another form of replay.

Where are you in NJ? I've been trying to get a bar in Jersey City to start playing Bills games, but need more folks to come.

NFL SUNDAY TICKET™ & SuperFan® Auto Renewal Confirmation

Hi Tom,

Thanks to the convenience of auto renewal, NFL SUNDAY TICKET™ and SuperFan are yours as soon as the season starts.

Your account will be charged 6 payments of $44.99 for NFL Sunday Ticket and 6 payments of $16.50 for SuperFan.

Now, paint your face and get ready for another unforgettable season.

or $368.94

Where are you in NJ? I've been trying to get a bar in Jersey City to start playing Bills games, but need more folks to come.

Bergen County NJ. I use to go to a Bennigans (So pissed they closed that place down) but they closed that place. The bartender was a big Bills fan and he always put on the games. I watched like 7 Bills games at Bennigans. last year but I am looking for a New place.

I think it's up to $279.95...before the HD add-on fee.

And is it just me, or do they purposely make the non-HD games look chittier now that HD is available? I've noticed you can't even clearly make out the names on the scoreboard in the corner half the time anymore. Gotta say, that's one of the things I'm most looking forward to when the lockout hits...DirecTV still paying the NFL Billions despite having no games. D-bags deserve it, too...

I've noticed that the colors flare on the SD stuff on NFL Sunday ticket only but the other SD stuff is fine so I get what you are saying...

It sucks because I can't get HD on DirecTV because I have trees in the way. (I get a fine signal in SD but the HD satellite is lower in the sky). I only have HD on cable so only games broadcast locally I can get in HD

NFL SUNDAY TICKET™ & SuperFan® Auto Renewal Confirmation

Hi Tom,

Thanks to the convenience of auto renewal, NFL SUNDAY TICKET™ and SuperFan are yours as soon as the season starts.

Your account will be charged 6 payments of $44.99 for NFL Sunday Ticket and 6 payments of $16.50 for SuperFan.

Now, paint your face and get ready for another unforgettable season.

or $368.94

jesus

If you pay for HD you do not get the games in HD. You have to buy superfan.

Damn I am late on this one nevermind. Though I did try and get it for free last year and they were more than willing to take Sunday Ticket off! I guess I got the hard ass last year, I will try again this year.

Old movies (Anything that wasn't filmed in HD) don't look that much better in HD

That's a common misconception, but regular film has a MUCH higher resolution than 1920x1080 (HD). So as long as the film exists, the studios can make an HD transfer that will blow your socks off.

As for the topic -- SuperFan is free if you ask for it. It is required to watch games online and in HD.

The PQ online is very good.

You can watch as many games as you have receivers for (plus 1 for a PC). You can't login to your account more than once to watch multiple games (prevents you from giving your account to a dozen people to watch).

Price is $269 for early bird renewal, but word on the street is that you can get a discount if you call and ask. Talk to customer retention.

At some point the fans have to say enough is enough. If I was paying a 100 dollars and than within a few years it doubled in price I would just stop buying it. I mean 250 dollars to watch football is just too steep. If you can afford it congratulations and I guess the free market has spoken because enough people can afford it.

The problem is that for some people (myself included) there would probably be no price high enough that would prevent me from getting ticket. I'm not going back to the sportsbar scene.

I tried cancelling my NFL Package on Direct TV because we get most of the games here and to be honest, I do not believe the Bills product this year will be any good. Anyway, to spot me from quitting, they sent me another free HQ tuner to set up in the house (free), all upgrades to the NFL ticket, (some fan thing I do not care about...or want) and best of all - crediting my account $25 a month for the next 6 months....I think they are desparate to keep customers...

I tried cancelling my NFL Package on Direct TV because we get most of the games here and to be honest, I do not believe the Bills product this year will be any good. Anyway, to spot me from quitting, they sent me another free HQ tuner to set up in the house (free), all upgrades to the NFL ticket, (some fan thing I do not care about...or want) and best of all - crediting my account $25 a month for the next 6 months....I think they are desparate to keep customers...

You don't want to watch the games in HD....?

Also -- they're giving you a sweet discount (I've read others getting that as well), but remember that you're probably extending your contract for 2 years. That helps you out (cheaper football) and it helps them out (keeping a customer). With the current economy, lots of people are cancelling TV service and going with OTA to save money.

Yeah, this is a major rip-off now that HD is supposed to be the "standard" for all television viewing. However, my father told me the other day that he doesn't pay for the Superfan, they gave it to him for free cause he was going to simply get rid of it.

Well, today I called them and asked them their justification for charging me extra for HD when the whole purpose of the ticket is to get local network coverage of all the games. And, if I were to be in the network, and HD option would be available. I told them I didn't want any of the other features, just the HD. They then tried to offer me a discount, but I told them that it still didn't justify charging me for a feature that should be included.

After about 10 minutes on the phone, I just told them to take it off and the operator told me they could offer it to me for free. So yeah, I took that.

Between my father and I, that's two people who got the superfan add-on for free just for saying we wanted to remove it. For those of you out there paying for it, I would recommend trying the same.

i have had DT for this will be my fourth year. when i signed up with verizon they said i would receive all games in HD.

second year they gave me the basic package no HD. i called them said i was told all was in HD and thats what i signed up for and they told me i had to subscribe for super fan. i told them no way so the gave me super fan for no charge.

same thing for last year.

just called them and asked them if i was signed up to receive all the games in HD and that i was not going to pay for super fan. the gentleman said it was in my records that i was to receive super fan free and that i was all set to go.

he went on to say he would update my account notes to verrify our conversation today and if i had any problem opening day just call but i am all set.

so all i can say is the squeeky wheel gets all the greese. dont be shy fellas tell them when you signed up you were assured that all the games were in HD or you would have never signed up and believe me it may take you a couple of calls but you will get superfan free and HD.

Does anyone know why this isn't available on cable?

DirectTV has an exclusive agreement (within the US) with the NFL for the Sunday Ticket. I believe it was due to end after the 2010 season, but they extended it (I believe but I could be wrong). So cable cannot offer it. The only other provider that I know of in North America to offer the Sunday Ticket is the Canadian Satellite TV provider (Bell Express).

I was a subscriber to the Ticket for the past four years. They WILL give you the Super Fan upgrade for free if you ask.

I cancelled this year. I've got better things to do than pay a ton of money to waste my time watching Limp Dick and the Jills stink up the joint and crush my spirit again this year. I'd rather spend Sundays enjoying my time with my little son.

I might reconsider getting the Ticket again someday, if someone buys the team and keeps them in Buffalo. Of course, if they move, I will NEVER watch another NFL game again. Right after I burn all my Bills stuff in a blaze of glory in the back-yard...

You were the guy that blasted me last year for trying to make a few extra bucks scalping tickets to fellow posters. You hypocritical son of a B word. :rolleyes:

And you're just plain stupid. I'd rather be me.

Bergen County NJ. I use to go to a Bennigans (So pissed they closed that place down) but they closed that place. The bartender was a big Bills fan and he always put on the games. I watched like 7 Bills games at Bennigans. last year but I am looking for a New place.

check out the northern jersey Bills backers - bigkidsid runs it - they meet in a bar on north jersey somewhere

(email soruiz@kpmg.com) or look for his and other backers group at buffalobills.com

for Central NJ - head to my place - Millstone Township near Great Adventure - for every game. I cook wings (real things).

RichNJoisy

Central NJ Buffalo Bills Backers

If you pay extra for the extra HD receivers, unless you're in to pirating...Each TV needs its own receiver.

...or you can watch one game live and DVR the other and watch it later

Thanks for the answer.

Can you crack the receiver to get multiple channels or do you have to get another one (or something to function as such)? Anyone know if it's easy to crack into?

Thanks for the answer.

Can you crack the receiver to get multiple channels or do you have to get another one (or something to function as such)? Anyone know if it's easy to crack into?

A regular receiver has one decoder. A DVR has two decoders. Nothing to crack.

If you already pay D-TV for HD, all the games are in HD anyway. Last year, you had to subscribe ($) to "Supercast" to get the games on PC. It's this little streaming video window where you can't see crap. You can barely make out what's going on watching a 50 inch HD TV, so what do you expect to see on a 3 inch streaming window or a smaller blackberry.

If you want that stuff, go to the D-TV home page, and hit the link for your account.

huh?

Can barely make anything out on a 50 inch HDTV?

Are you blind?

At some point the fans have to say enough is enough. If I was paying a 100 dollars and than within a few years it doubled in price I would just stop buying it. I mean 250 dollars to watch football is just too steep. If you can afford it congratulations and I guess the free market has spoken because enough people can afford it.

I have had it every year since '96 and although I can still afford it, I am contemplating dropping it just on principle because of how high it is getting. My current bill has on it a charge for early renewal of NFL Sunday ticket in 6 payments of $44.99. Do the math and that is $269.94, plus another $100 for Superfan in order to get HD. I also don't like that they auto renew without consulting me first.

I have had it every year since '96 and although I can still afford it, I am contemplating dropping it just on principle because of how high it is getting. My current bill has on it a charge for early renewal of NFL Sunday ticket in 6 payments of $44.99. Do the math and that is $269.94, plus another $100 for Superfan in order to get HD. I also don't like that they auto renew without consulting me first.

You can call them and stop auto-renew.

You can call them and stop auto-renew.

Yeah -- they tell you a couple of times during the previous season that you're enrolled in auto renew. In addition, you get a slight discount (~$20) for keeping auto renew on... It's worth it -- especially since it costs you nothing ahead of time and gives you leverage right before football season to say, "I want to cancel if I don't get Superfan free."

Yeah -- they tell you a couple of times during the previous season that you're enrolled in auto renew. In addition, you get a slight discount (~$20) for keeping auto renew on... It's worth it -- especially since it costs you nothing ahead of time and gives you leverage right before football season to say, "I want to cancel if I don't get Superfan free."

I have NFL on auto renew and tried to get hockey off of it. I got exactly what you said.

thanks for the heads up - i just called DTV customer service and told them that i needed to cancel the sunday ticket. "times are tough, you know what i mean?" their service agent says hold on, let me see what i can do for you. comes back and gives me the upcoming season for $149 instead of the $269 that i was slated to spend.

then i say, "is that all in, including the superfan? if i'm going to renew, i would definitely need the games in HD". after a minute or so on hold, he comes back and says they'll throw in the superfan for free.

10 minute call saved me $220!

thanks for the heads up - i just called DTV customer service and told them that i needed to cancel the sunday ticket. "times are tough, you know what i mean?" their service agent says hold on, let me see what i can do for you. comes back and gives me the upcoming season for $149 instead of the $269 that i was slated to spend.

then i say, "is that all in, including the superfan? if i'm going to renew, i would definitely need the games in HD". after a minute or so on hold, he comes back and says they'll throw in the superfan for free.

10 minute call saved me $220!

Nice! I was going to make the call tonight about Superfan. Now I'll just threaten to cancel the whole package and see what they offer.

I was a subscriber to the Ticket for the past four years. They WILL give you the Super Fan upgrade for free if you ask.

I cancelled this year. I've got better things to do than pay a ton of money to waste my time watching Limp Dick and the Jills stink up the joint and crush my spirit again this year. I'd rather spend Sundays enjoying my time with my little son.

I might reconsider getting the Ticket again someday, if someone buys the team and keeps them in Buffalo. Of course, if they move, I will NEVER watch another NFL game again. Right after I burn all my Bills stuff in a blaze of glory in the back-yard...

dont understand why you would need the nfl ticket to watch the bills.

you get the ticket to watch all the nfl games each sunday you dont make any sense unless you live out of town.

your not listening man. i guarantee you my friend keep calling and tell them when you signed up you were told all games were in HD if they tell you no hang up and call again and again until you get a good guy.

if that doesnt work ask to talk to a manager. i have been getting super fan for free for 4 years believe me i know this to be factual.

I've had DirecTV and the Sunday Ticket since I moved to Florida in 1996 and believe me, it's worth every penny I've spent on it. Let's just say on average, going out to a Sports Bar, that you spend $30 per game, which is terribly low, it would cost you $480 per season just to go out and catch every Bills game. Obviously, there is the cost of having the basic DirecTv package, roughly $40 per month plus the $250 for the Ticket. Overall, the price is worth it plus when Jauron pulls some dumb a$$ stunt, you start drinking more and the Bar Tab goes up along with the DUI possibilities.

I say get off the wallet and get the package. It's worth it in so many ways.

your not listening man. i guarantee you my friend keep calling and tell them when you signed up you were told all games were in HD if they tell you no hang up and call again and again until you get a good guy.

if that doesnt work ask to talk to a manager. i have been getting super fan for free for 4 years believe me i know this to be factual.

It works, I haven't paid for Superfan yet and I have all the games in HD. Ask for the Customer Retention Department if the flunky you're talking to isn't budging. I've talked to them, told them that I am a loyal subscriber and really don't want to change back to cable but have told them that it's just costing too much and they gave me Superfan for free and my HD service ($9.99 I think) for free ever since I've upgraded to HD two years ago.

DirecTV will work with you on the other services and fees as long as you pay for your regular service and Sunday Ticket. They really do have a pretty good customer service department once you get past the first flunky that answers. Just be patient, it's worth it.

dont understand why you would need the nfl ticket to watch the bills.

you get the ticket to watch all the nfl games each sunday you dont make any sense unless you live out of town.

Bingo!

That's alot of money just to get pissed off each Sunday and turn the game off early in the fourth quarter...

I've had DirecTV and the Sunday Ticket since I moved to Florida in 1996 and believe me, it's worth every penny I've spent on it. Let's just say on average, going out to a Sports Bar, that you spend $30 per game, which is terribly low, it would cost you $480 per season just to go out and catch every Bills game. Obviously, there is the cost of having the basic DirecTv package, roughly $40 per month plus the $250 for the Ticket. Overall, the price is worth it plus when Jauron pulls some dumb a$$ stunt, you start drinking more and the Bar Tab goes up along with the DUI possibilities.

I say get off the wallet and get the package. It's worth it in so many ways.

I agree. There is nothing like being able to watch the Bills and having the ability to act as much like an idiot as you want (either out of joy or anger) in the comfort of your own home.

Update - Took the advice of Dilliards and others here and called DTV. After some rough sledding with the first rep I talked to (who was actually going to just cancel my Sunday Ticket as per my threat), I ended up talking to another rep and got the Superfan ($99) for free.

I am presently paying the full price for DIRECTV, NFL Sunday Ticket, and Superfan. I do so willingly. But after reading this thread I have a feeling my costs will go down a bit, at least $100 dollars. Thanks for all the advice everyone.

As far as the maximum cost...$375, if you divide that by the 16 weeks of Bills games thats only $23.44 per week. So I get to watch the Bills in hi-def, at home for that amount.

We make a nice meal, have a nice stocked bar, can have friends over (although my wife and I don't like having people over for Bills games unless they are hard-core Bills fans), avoid the DUI/DWI thingy, etc.

Plus we have the DVR so we can record the game and watch later or do as many home replays as we want and fast forward through commercials as we catch up...

And also the ability to watch almost every other game for all 17 weeks and the Red Zone Channel hosted by Andrew Siciliano who does an excellent job.

To be able to watch my favorite sports team in hi def every week plus all the other benefits...$23.44/week is a great value for us.

Compare it to the cost per couple for seeing a movie, playing a round of golf, etc.