Trade Whitner while we still can

The most vivid memories I have of Donte Whitner up to this point in his career are watching mediocre tight ends run right by him, or him draped on their back as they go up and catch the ball over the deep middle. I can honestly say I do not have a bias when it comes to Whitner. I was hoping he would step up his game last season. But lets face it, a #8 pick in the draft 4 years ago with 2 career interceptions, who makes no big plays is at this point a bust. Some might not agree but if I could compare him to one player it would be Coy Wire. Always just a half step late on all of his coverage but a decent tackler. Bryd can not possibly be less dynamic than Whitner.

My thought is that much of the league has not caught on to the fact that he stinks. (ESPN line of thinking, that most front offices use. "I've heard of him") So I say we let him go through training camp, hope a starting safety for another team gets injured, and try to get a 3rd round pick. Before everyone else realizes all he can do is tackle. Trade him this year or else all we will be able to get for him is a Losman jersey and a half eaten bag of Lays potatoe chips.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People who don't understand how our defense works and Whitner's role in our defense make me want to... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :w00t::censored: :censored: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Perhaps if Whitner wasn't playing 3 or 4 yards from the line of scrimmage on most plays, he could be better in the passing game?

Ed Reed wouldn't get interceptions either if he was being asked to do what Whitner has been...

People who don't understand how our defense works and Whitner's role in our defense make me want to... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :w00t::censored: :censored: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Perhaps if Whitner wasn't playing 3 or 4 yards from the line of scrimmage on most plays, he could be better in the passing game?

Ed Reed wouldn't get interceptions either if he was being asked to do what Whitner has been...

Im sorry your right, the coaching staff does not want Whitner to make plays or cover the tight ends so they don't blow by him everytime. And that 2 interceptions in three years is problably 2 more than the coaching staff wouldve liked. Since you seem to know that the coaching staff does not want him to make plays, Is his role in the defense to get tasered at night clubs? :wallbash:

As you and Dick Jauron would say "Of course we wouldve liked him not to have screamed when he hit the floor, but that's part of getting tasered. Hopefully we can improve on it for next time. He showed a lot of effort when he was rolling around on the ground for a minute there. It's a learning process and we as coaches have to have patience."

Im sorry your right, the coaching staff does not want Whitner to make plays or cover the tight ends so they don't blow by him everytime. And that 2 interceptions in three years is problably 2 more than the coaching staff wouldve liked. Since you seem to know that the coaching staff does not want him to make plays, Is his role in the defense to get tasered at night clubs? :w00t:

As you and Dick Jauron would say "Of course we wouldve liked him not to have screamed when he hit the floor, but that's part of getting tasered. Hopefully we can improve on it for next time. He showed a lot of effort when he was rolling around on the ground for a minute there. It's a learning process and we as coaches have to have patience."

wow, because his being tasered has anything to do with him as a football player on the field and is totally relevant to the way he is on gamday :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Good point...But that is where the biggest problem lies....Our coaching staff's inability to put your best players on the field to make the plays for the team....No wonder, we have been short of great plays on the defense for the last three years while the likes of Sanders, Polamalu and Reed are asked to play the ball.

Im sorry your right, the coaching staff does not want Whitner to make plays or cover the tight ends so they don't blow by him everytime. And that 2 interceptions in three years is problably 2 more than the coaching staff wouldve liked. Since you seem to know that the coaching staff does not want him to make plays, Is his role in the defense to get tasered at night clubs? :thumbsup:

Well played. :thumbsup:

We need more of your kind here. There are way to many Buffalo Bill jock sniffers here who get angry at actual unbiased and unfiltered evaluations of certain players. Donte "The Bust" Whitner is one of these players. Maybe it's because they don't want to admit that they were initially right when Whitner was picked and all Bills fans collectively said "WTF?!", but then soon bought into the Whitner myth while tearing down the NFL pundits calling him a major reach.

Dude was indeed a major reach, he sucks on the football field, and he's been tasered for being a belligerent drunken mess out in public. Sorry, but I don't ever remember a "star" NFL player being tasered before. :w00t:

I think some of these Donte jock sniffers are his facebook buddies or something.

I think that the OP is interesting.

The thing is, it will never happen. Donte Whitner represents what is important to Jauron. He is a blue chip defensive back who is getting paid millions of dollars to play way too far back in Jauron's "play not to lose" defense. This mind you in the winds of Orchard Park. Jauron proved it once again this year by squandering another very high pick on a small safety. Again, this is what matters to Jauron.

It wasn't just Ngata that Levy/Jauron passed on in the disaster that was the 06 draft. The list of top quality blockers is long.

Whitner is a good player, but he will never be a star imo. I wouldn't accept a 3rd round pick for him, but if this was a normal team, I would entertain an offer of a second rounder. That said, Jauron is thinking THIS year. He will probably be fired; it would seem that the playoffs might be his only hope to stay in Buffalo. He places more value on the secondary that any other unit (moron that he is), so a trade of Whitner is simply out of the question.

The most vivid memories I have of Donte Whitner up to this point in his career are watching mediocre tight ends run right by him, or him draped on their back as they go up and catch the ball over the deep middle. I can honestly say I do not have a bias when it comes to Whitner. I was hoping he would step up his game last season. But lets face it, a #8 pick in the draft 4 years ago with 2 career interceptions, who makes no big plays is at this point a bust. Some might not agree but if I could compare him to one player it would be Coy Wire. Always just a half step late on all of his coverage but a decent tackler. Bryd can not possibly be less dynamic than Whitner.

My thought is that much of the league has not caught on to the fact that he stinks. (ESPN line of thinking, that most front offices use. "I've heard of him") So I say we let him go through training camp, hope a starting safety for another team gets injured, and try to get a 3rd round pick. Before everyone else realizes all he can do is tackle. Trade him this year or else all we will be able to get for him is a Losman jersey and a half eaten bag of Lays potatoe chips.

Always nice to start the week off with a good laugh... :thumbsup:

Another Whitner jock sniffer. Dude sucks, please tell him I said that on his facebook for me.

You have no clue about my thoughts on Donte Whitner. My post talks about the OP. You are an angry person and perhaps should consider medicating yourself with something besides online message boards and facebook.

Like it or not, this is a huge year for Whitner in my book. You can justify his ineffectiveness any way you want (it's the scheme! :cry:), but any way you cut it, an eighth overall pick can't be largely invisible. As far as my opinion of him, this will be the make-or-break season.

Ed Reed is an unbelievable talent because he has had unbelievable players around him for the majority of his career. When you get constant pressure on a Qb and force teams to throw it way before he is ready to or because your run D is stout that makes the probability of a INT's more likely. Granted Reed is the best at his position in the last 10 years he still know what to do with the ball once he has it. Would trade half of our D for Ed.

Im sorry your right, the coaching staff does not want Whitner to make plays or cover the tight ends so they don't blow by him everytime. And that 2 interceptions in three years is problably 2 more than the coaching staff wouldve liked. Since you seem to know that the coaching staff does not want him to make plays, Is his role in the defense to get tasered at night clubs? :cry:

Sorry but while you can argue his actions off the field are objectionable they have nothing to do with his play on the field. Your post makes no sense. If you want to argue that he should be traded because he may negatively impact the team due to his behavior off the field (ala Packman Jones) then do so. However, to suggest there is a tie between his role in the defense and getting tasered is without basis.

People who don't understand how our defense works and Whitner's role in our defense make me want to... :cry::w00t: :w00t: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

And what has Whitner been asked to to in our awesome 11-gap, oops, I mean, 2-gap defense, play some kind of 4th linebacker/strong safety role, or something? Wow, that would make him even more invisible then he has been in my eyes. Have I missed something? Has he led the Bills in tackles these past 3 years? Has he led the Bills defense to being number one against the run these past 3 years? I certainly have not noticed that. I have noticed him being quite average in pass coverage, and in run support.

I'll say it again. For being drafted number 8 overall three years ago, Whitner sucks. He sucks a little less then the safety the Raiders drafted just before the Bills took Donte in that same draft, Michael Huff. Huff has been just about as invisible as Whitner his first 3 years also. And oh by the way, I'm sure the Ravens are very happy they have Ed Reed playing their style of defense instead of Donte Whitner, no matter how different (or I should say better) then the Bills defense, it is!

The most vivid memories I have of Donte Whitner up to this point in his career are watching mediocre tight ends run right by him, or him draped on their back as they go up and catch the ball over the deep middle.

Then you need to get a better memory, or learn to watch the game more carefully.

Then you need to get a better memory, or learn to watch the game more carefully.

I think a lot of posters could benefit from that. Then again, half of them don't know what they are looking at. If a player isn't producing Tecmo Bowl or Madden-like numbers, then he sucks and should be traded. Which is another point that makes know sense. If a player is that bad, who in their right mind would trade for them? Seriously, are you that delusional to think the the Bills FO that was "stupid" to draft a player is smart enough to trade that player for a team that would take him? Bit of a contradiction there. Even if a trade were to happen, who is Buffalo going to get to step in and be more productive than Whitner?

One thing I have to give the Bills credit for is recognizing the value of current players when their contract in Buffalo ends. With the exception of Pat Williams, the Bills have let players go to FA and those players have proven to be nothing more than a reliable starter. I.E Nate Clements, Takeo Spikes, Drew Bledsoe, Antoine Winfield ( OK he made the Pro Bowl last year but it was a first for him)

Trade Whitner and replace him with whom? There is more to being a defensive back than just interceptions. Often, defensive schemes don't put safetys in a position to make interceptions. Is Whitner the best safety in the NFL? No. Is he as good as Ed Reed? No. Is he in the top 25% of safeties in the NFL? I would easily say yes. You obviously don't know a whole lot about defenses or coverage schemes. Just because someone gets open downfield, doesn't mean you have to blame it on the player that was the highest draft pick. Glad you aren't the GM, this team would really be in trouble, more so than it has been.

You have no clue about my thoughts on Donte Whitner. My post talks about the OP. You are an angry person and perhaps should consider medicating yourself with something besides online message boards and facebook.

You called the OP's post ridiculous, called him uneducated all the while making the insinuation that low post count totals somehow is equivalent to a Bills fan's level of football knowledge. Don't throw stones if you aren't prepared for the blow back.

Whitner has played 42 games for the Bills, he was picked 8th in the draft. Dude has just 2 interceptions. For all the angry and hate-filled criticisms that the former 26th pick JP Losman took while he was here, at least he threw 29 touchdown passes for the Bills. 2 freaking lousy interceptions in 42 games for a former 8th pick????? Don't get mad because the OP was telling the truth. For someone who's a former 8th pick overall, Whitner does stink.

One thing I have to give the Bills credit for is recognizing the value of current players when their contract in Buffalo ends. With the exception of Pat Williams, the Bills have let players go to FA and those players have proven to be nothing more than a reliable starter. I.E Nate Clements, Takeo Spikes, Drew Bledsoe, Antoine Winfield ( OK he made the Pro Bowl last year but it was a first for him)

Clements and Winfield were little horses on the Bills first round corner merry go-round of stupidity.

Spikes was seriously injured to the point that he wasn't even a fraction of his former ability, and Bledsoe was 100x better than Losman when he was released.

I think a lot of posters could benefit from that. Then again, half of them don't know what they are looking at. If a player isn't producing Tecmo Bowl or Madden-like numbers, then he sucks and should be traded. Which is another point that makes know sense. If a player is that bad, who in their right mind would trade for them? Seriously, are you that delusional to think the the Bills FO that was "stupid" to draft a player is smart enough to trade that player for a team that would take him? Bit of a contradiction there. Even if a trade were to happen, who is Buffalo going to get to step in and be more productive than Whitner?

Trent Edwards sucks! He doesn't have the speed to run back to the back of the endzone from midfield without being sacked, and even if he did, he doesn't have the arm strength to throw a 110-yard TD pass!

If Whitner was to be traded, who would:

a) hold slumber parties for the defense?

b) guarantee the playoffs, then go the whole season without being noticed?

c) be sammy morris' tackling dummy on gameday?

d) spend all his time on facebook instead of perfecting his craft?

He's too slow to catch quick rb's, too weak to tackle big ones, and too stupid to get interceptions (anyone remember the play early on at the jets this year?). The only reason people defend him is because he was the 8th overall pick, and is 'supposed' to be good. Newsflash, he's not.

If you can't get anything for him, give him a set of pompoms and tell him to join the Jills, because cheerleading is the only notable thing he's done thus far in his career.

Anyone who even debates how good of a football player Donte Whitner is until this clears up (Kelsay, Williams, Stroud, Denney/Schobel) is a moron.

Whitner is a solid football player, and would be much better, if there was even an inkling of talent outside of Marcus Stroud up front. The pass rush is your pass defense. Period. The better the line, the better the people behind the line. Some of you really need to coach football, even if it's at the pee wee level, to better see just how a dominate line can be of help.

Im sorry your right, the coaching staff does not want Whitner to make plays or cover the tight ends so they don't blow by him everytime. And that 2 interceptions in three years is problably 2 more than the coaching staff wouldve liked. Since you seem to know that the coaching staff does not want him to make plays, Is his role in the defense to get tasered at night clubs? :cry:

Wow, you're a real piece of work, aren't you?

Wow, I missed this. You are a dumb fuc#, aren't you?

You called the OP's post ridiculous, called him uneducated all the while making the insinuation that low post count totals somehow is equivalent to a Bills fan's level of football knowledge. Don't throw stones if you aren't prepared for the blow back.

Whitner has played 42 games for the Bills, he was picked 8th in the draft. Dude has just 2 interceptions. For all the angry and hate-filled criticisms that the former 26th pick JP Losman took while he was here, at least he threw 29 touchdown passes for the Bills. 2 freaking lousy interceptions in 42 games for a former 8th pick????? Don't get mad because the OP was telling the truth. For someone who's a former 8th pick overall, Whitner does stink.

1) Interceptions are not the sole measure of a defensive back.

2) Even if they were, he's a SS without a pass rush in front of him.

3) He's probably too busy leading the team in tackles and assists over the last three years to do much intercepting.

So...yeah, get rid of him. Great idea. :cry:

3) He's probably too busy leading the team in tackles and assists over the last three years to do much intercepting.

Apparently you don't understand that tackles are meaningless, unless they are behind the LOS. That's why Fletcher sucked so hard when he was here.

:w00t:

this is a pretty dumb post but hey, you're open to your opinion. we have 2 bad starters on defensive, and neither is named whitner. Ellison and Kelsay. Whitner is a run supporting SS. He is not going to get INTs ala Mark Kelso. Heck, not even like Henry jones because he is used differently in this system. Anyway, like I said, you have your opinion, it just seems brash and a little unfounded.

Apparently you don't understand that tackles are meaningless, unless they are behind the LOS. That's why Fletcher sucked so hard when he was here.

:cry:

Ah, but there's a difference: Fletcher wasn't a #8 pick.

See, that's the argument. Not that Whitner should be traded because he sucks. Whitner should be traded because despite being the team's leading tackler over the past three years, he sucks for a high first-round pick three years ago.

Make sense now? Or you need a few more drinks to comprehend it?

I don't care if they got rid of him or not, but if Byrd or someone else looks as good during training camp then I'd love to see them get a shot at starting. I find it funny that one of his big supporters here just stated that if you even debate Whitner's skills then you're a moron, then he goes on to describe him as just a "solid" football player! :w00t:

Even his biggest supporters can't bring themselves to go beyond describing him as only "solid". He was the 8th pick in the draft and has done much less to help the Bills win in his career than Losman, who was drafted 18 spots lower. Sorry, but he's a third rounder kind of talent who was a major reach by the Bills. The pundits were right in laughing at that pick. I was hoping the Bills would be seen as the smart and crafty one's, but how foolish I was to think that. Initial gut reactions are generally the right reactions. Donte who??!! Real great pick there Marv and Dick. :w00t:

Ah, but there's a difference: Fletcher wasn't a #8 pick.

See, that's the argument. Not that Whitner should be traded because he sucks. Whitner should be traded because despite being the team's leading tackler over the past three years, he sucks for a high first-round pick three years ago.

Make sense now? Or you need a few more drinks to comprehend it?

I'll let you know in a little while. :cry:

Even his biggest supporters can't bring themselves to go beyond describing him as only "solid". He was the 8th pick in the draft and has done much less to help the Bills win in his career than Losman, who was drafted 18 spots lower. Sorry, but he's a third rounder kind of talent who was a major reach by the Bills. The pundits were right in laughing at that pick. I was hoping the Bills would be seen as the smart and crafty one's, but how foolish I was to think that. Initial gut reactions are generally the right reactions. Donte who??!! Real great pick there Marv and Dick. :cry:

So you think he sucks because he was picked in the first round, but wouldn't suck if he was picked in the third if all his numbers stayed the same?

So you think he sucks because he was picked in the first round, but wouldn't suck if he was picked in the third if all his numbers stayed the same?

Well duh. You should never simply judge a player by how he performs on the field. You should always base your analysis on where the player was drafted. I mean, who cares if the guy is a merely a good player if he was drafted in round 1? If your 1st round picks aren't pro-bowlers, they should be cut regardless of their performance,simply for not living up to their draft billing.

If Matt Stafford develops into merely a decent QB who throws 22 TDs per year and stabilizes the position for the Lions, he should be cut since the #1 pick should be tossing 40+ TDs and playing in the pro bowl every season.

When does Whitner's current contract end?

Signed through 2011. Here are the base salary numbers:

2009 $2,355,000

2010 $2,445,000

2011 $1,950,750