AFC East predictions

This is my first year following TBD, so I don't know if there are annual predictions, and if there are times that are generally reserved for it. If I'm jumping the gun, my apologies. It's a slow time of year, and there isn't much news that we haven't chewed and spit out several times, so...

When I look at our schedules for the AFC east, I see things playing out this way, as of now, without considering injuries. I'll throw in overall win/loss, and then the offense and defense rankings as they'll play out in the division. I'll admit I hope I'm wrong on this, but the schedule is very tough... so here it goes:

Buffalo - 9-7 overall record, 2nd offense, 4th defense

N.E. - 12-4 overall record, 1st offense, 2nd defense

Jets - 5-11 overall record, 4th offense, 1st defense

Miami - 7-9 overall record, 3rd offense, 3rd defense

I could be way off here, I just looked at each teams schedules and considered, without factoring in potential injuries (let's face it, if Brady gets hurt early, N.E. could dive hard, for example), based on each teams perceived strengths and weaknesses, how it will play out. We've got a tough schedule, as a division, and then we've got the 2 division games per team.

I would like nothing less than for the Bills to come out and just dominate everyone, but, following the league, and considering our coaching staff, and it's history, and talent, etc., this is how I see it unfolding. As it goes, the Bills miss the playoffs by a game, but behind a couple teams for the wild-card. I hope I'm off on that part of it.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my first year following TBD, so I don't know if there are annual predictions, and if there are times that are generally reserved for it. If I'm jumping the gun, my apologies. It's a slow time of year, and there isn't much news that we haven't chewed and spit out several times, so...

When I look at our schedules for the AFC east, I see things playing out this way, as of now, without considering injuries. I'll throw in overall win/loss, and then the offense and defense rankings as they'll play out in the division. I'll admit I hope I'm wrong on this, but the schedule is very tough... so here it goes:

I could be way off here, I just looked at each teams schedules and considered, without factoring in potential injuries (let's face it, if Brady gets hurt early, N.E. could dive hard, for example), based on each teams perceived strengths and weaknesses, how it will play out. We've got a tough schedule, as a division, and then we've got the 2 division games per team.

I would like nothing less than for the Bills to come out and just dominate everyone, but, following the league, and considering our coaching staff, and it's history, and talent, etc., this is how I see it unfolding. As it goes, the Bills miss the playoffs by a game, but behind a couple teams for the wild-card. I hope I'm off on that part of it.

not unreasonable...i hope u r right and not me... i see buff at 7-9

Not too shabby. I had Bills and the Pats the same way though I got the Jets at 7-9 and the Fins at 6-10.

I also think that while there are a lot of good defenses in our division, you are underrating the Bills d. They were 14th last year with one of the worst pass rushes in the NFL. If Schobel is 75% of the player he was and Ellis/ Maybin contribute anything, this is a top 10 defense IMO.

09/14 @ New England Patriots (W)--if it wasn't the season opener, I wouldn't have half the confidence

09/20 TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS (W)

09/27 NEW ORLEANS SAINTS (W)

10/04 @ Miami Dolphins (W)

10/11 CLEVELAND BROWNS (W)

10/18 @ New York Jets (W)

10/25 @ Carolina Panthers (L)

11/01 HOUSTON TEXANS (W)

11/08 BYE

11/15 @ Tennessee Titans (L)

11/22 @ Jacksonville Jaguars (W)

11/29 MIAMI DOLPHINS (W)

12/03 NEW YORK JETS (Toronto) (L)--We're ever doomed to lose in Toronto.

12/13 @ Kansas City Chiefs (W)

12/20 NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS (L)

12/27 @ Atlanta Falcons (W)

01/03 INDIANAPOLIS COLTS (W)

There you have it, 12-4, 4-2 in the division, good enough for first place.

I got 6 games locked in, if the non-locks go the other way, we're looking at 10-6, 3-3 in the division.

Yeah, going through the schedule that looks about right, anywhere between 10-6 and 12-4 this year, no better, no worse.

I surely considered our defense, but in light of the other teams defenses. The Jets are going to be Defense this year, no doubt. They'll be a Ravens in green and white defense. Miami has a solid unit that has weaknesses, but is consistent, and the fact that Buffalo, in this four way rating, has fared poorly against 3-4 teams, doesn't set the tone for optimism. I think N.E. will have a decent defense - somewhere between 7-12 in the league. I think the Jets will be in the top 5. Miami should hover around 9-12. That leaves the Bills, who, on the bright side could break the top ten and throw that prediction out...but, we're depending on Maybin, on a healthy Schobel, on a resolved OLB, on Poz stepping it up, and on Byrd being a big game changer, not to mention our CB's performing excellently. There are a lot of if's with the Bills D - which could translate into a ton of improvement, or a relative stay at the middle of the pack. I chose the realistic approach to predicting, thinking that our major improvements would be offensive, and that we might slowly, over the year, creep into the top ten on defense. But, factoring schedules, and who teams play when, it seemed to me that things would pan out that way.

Again, I hope I'm wrong on us missing the wildcard.

The Jets are going to be Defense this year, no doubt. They'll be a Ravens in green and white defense.

No, they won't.

Miami has a solid unit that has weaknesses, but is consistent, and the fact that Buffalo, in this four way rating, has fared poorly against 3-4 teams, doesn't set the tone for optimism.

Miami didn't beat Buffalo in 2008, Buffalo did. Also, Levitre, Wood, Handy, for better or worse, WILL, at the very least, be better up the middle against the 3-4 than Dockery, Fowler/Preston, Butler.

I think N.E. will have a decent defense - somewhere between 7-12 in the league. I think the Jets will be in the top 5. Miami should hover around 9-12.

Are you basing these rankings on match-ups? Or do they come from your gut?

There are a lot of if's with the Bills D - which could translate into a ton of improvement, or a relative stay at the middle of the pack. I chose the realistic approach to predicting, thinking that our major improvements would be offensive, and that we might slowly, over the year, creep into the top ten on defense.

The defense was far from problematic last year, far from it. First quarters aside, the defense was very, very reliable. Throughout the season we were in every game to the end. (except AZ) The margins were so tight, that minimial improvements to the offense equates to more wins.

09/14 @ New England Patriots (W)--if it wasn't the season opener, I wouldn't have half the confidence

11/01 HOUSTON TEXANS (W)

11/08 BYE

11/29 MIAMI DOLPHINS (W)

I got 6 games locked in, if the non-locks go the other way, we're looking at 10-6, 3-3 in the division.

Yeah, going through the schedule that looks about right, anywhere between 10-6 and 12-4 this year, no better, no worse.

Been sprinkling ecstasy on your breakfast muffins?

Well, there's no better time of year to go wild. I certainly hope you're right, but IMHO you are way overoptimistic.

Miami didn't beat Buffalo in 2008, Buffalo did. Also, Levitre, Wood, Handy, for better or worse, WILL, at the very least, be better up the middle against the 3-4 than Dockery, Fowler/Preston, Butler.

levitre and wood haven't seen any game time yet, how do you know? so many players come out of college and go nowhere.

11/01 HOUSTON TEXANS (W)

11/08 BYE

11/29 MIAMI DOLPHINS (W)

I agree with 11/08. Rest? <_<

12-4??? Sorry to be critical but.......are you out of your mind? 7-9 at best. We'll get out coached every week (as always) and if they can ever get pressure with a 4 man rush I'd fall off my bar stool. After trying to find a silver lining for the last 30+ years I have zero faith this season. Of course, I'll watch every down but this organization is a joke. Starts at the top.

11/01 HOUSTON TEXANS (W)

11/08 BYE

11/29 MIAMI DOLPHINS (W)

I would like to believe this but you have us winning 6 straight to start the season against teams that beat us 7 times just last year (twice each for Miami, NE and NYJ). I just don't see that as being realistic. The Pats are going to be better this year or at least just as good now that Brady is back. He has regularly carved us up due to our lack of a pass rush. This includes two road wins against teams that beat us 4 times last year. It is not as if we closed the season strongly showing that we were a team on the rise when the season ended. Quite the opposite. We were a team in virtual free fall when the season mercifully ended.

I really have no idea about this season, given the entirely new OL, including possibly 2 rookies.. We want them both to be pro bowler's but realistically, we should only hope one has a nice career with us.. If the experiment doesn't work out, we could go winless in the division again.. On the other hand , we were the AFC WEST Champs last year, whooppin' 'em all! <_<

I surely considered our defense, but in light of the other teams defenses. The Jets are going to be Defense this year, no doubt. They'll be a Ravens in green and white defense. Miami has a solid unit that has weaknesses, but is consistent, and the fact that Buffalo, in this four way rating, has fared poorly against 3-4 teams, doesn't set the tone for optimism. I think N.E. will have a decent defense - somewhere between 7-12 in the league. I think the Jets will be in the top 5. Miami should hover around 9-12. That leaves the Bills, who, on the bright side could break the top ten and throw that prediction out...but, we're depending on Maybin, on a healthy Schobel, on a resolved OLB, on Poz stepping it up, and on Byrd being a big game changer, not to mention our CB's performing excellently. There are a lot of if's with the Bills D - which could translate into a ton of improvement, or a relative stay at the middle of the pack. I chose the realistic approach to predicting, thinking that our major improvements would be offensive, and that we might slowly, over the year, creep into the top ten on defense. But, factoring schedules, and who teams play when, it seemed to me that things would pan out that way.

Again, I hope I'm wrong on us missing the wildcard.

There are a lot of "IFs" with other teams too. You say the Jets D will be top 5....On what basis...There is a big IF if Rex Ryan can transform from a DC to a good HC that can bring the same defense from Baltimore to Jets. Romeo Crennel could not translate it from NE to Cleveland. There is a big IF for the Patriots defense to have some of the new CBs and Safeties to Pan out. Every year in the NFL is different since teams play drastically different schedules every year and see different types of teams....

Just 2 seasons ago, the Bills went 4-2 in the division sweeping both Miami and the Jets and yet went 0-6 the next year losing to both the Jets and Fish. If you go back to the scoreboard in those seasons, the bills wins were by narrow margins and so where their losses. THey could have easily beaten the Jets twice last year if not for stupid decisions on the field. They were leading 16-8 against the DOlphins on the Road in the 3rd qtr before self destructing....

I am optimistic about the BIlls every year....Lets go Bills.

No, they won't.

Are you basing these rankings on match-ups? Or do they come from your gut?

The defense was far from problematic last year, far from it. First quarters aside, the defense was very, very reliable. Throughout the season we were in every game to the end. (except AZ) The margins were so tight, that minimial improvements to the offense equates to more wins.

For the most part I agree re the defense. Our offense gave them VERY little help. That said, they couldn't get off the field to save their life much of the time. Especially against Miami in Miami and Jets at home. I don't care how tired they were, you just can't have a defense that gives up 10 minute drives in the 4th qtr when you still have a chance to win, IN SPITE of how much the offense did everything to lose those games.

We need playmakers on defense.

GO BILLS!!!

I would like to believe this but you have us winning 6 straight to start the season against teams that beat us 7 times just last year (twice each for Miami, NE and NYJ). I just don't see that as being realistic. The Pats are going to be better this year or at least just as good now that Brady is back. He has regularly carved us up due to our lack of a pass rush. This includes two road wins against teams that beat us 4 times last year. It is not as if we closed the season strongly showing that we were a team on the rise when the season ended. Quite the opposite. We were a team in virtual free fall when the season mercifully ended.

Well, your perspective, and the perspective of the other gloomy doomers aside, let's at least look at the six wins I'm calling a lock in 09

09/20 TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS, home opener, TB not the most stable franchise in the league right now.

10/11 CLEVELAND BROWN, last year's home MNF loss was a complete fluke, Brownies get squashed this time around

10/18 @ New York Jets, new HC, rookie QB? I don't know how some of you see their silver lining and not ours, first ones's ours next year

11/01 HOUSTON TEXANS, please. In our house these guys don't stand a chance.

11/29 MIAMI DOLPHINS, ibid.

12/13 @ Kansas City Chiefs, after last year's trail of tears at Arrowhead, all Trent's "happy dreams" are in red.

Can we all agree on those six wins?

Now, for you knee-jerk (I stress jerk) "we're gonna go 7-9'ers," we've only got to add one more out of these ten:

09/14 @ New England Patriots

09/27 NEW ORLEANS SAINTS

10/04 @ Miami Dolphins

10/25 @ Carolina Panthers

11/08 BYE

11/15 @ Tennessee Titans

11/22 @ Jacksonville Jaguars

12/03 NEW YORK JETS

12/20 NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

12/27 @ Atlanta Falcons

01/03 INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

I've picked 5 of those that we have a very, very good shot at winning, which means 11-5, if all goes according to plan. If you think we'll be huriting to get more than 1 of those 5 wins, please demonstrate, based on opponent, where we'll falter outside our 6 locks.

Just wanted to comment on the Jets D. They will not be the Ravens D in green/white. Just like the Bengals weren't when Marvin Lewis left the Ravens and joined them.

B. Scott is a definite upgrade. Jim Leohnard will struggle (at the very least) without Ed Reed. With their new defensive scheme and the QB position slowly taking shape, the Jests will struggle an offense AND defense. I'm not saying they won't be good - I believe they will improve as the season progresses. They will be no better than 8-8. They will be better in December than they are in September. This year is fro retooling - maybe next year will look better (depending upon how they take to the QB and the new defensive scheme.)

Well, your perspective, and the perspective of the other gloomy doomers aside, let's at least look at the six wins I'm calling a lock in 09

09/20 TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS, home opener, TB not the most stable franchise in the league right now.

10/11 CLEVELAND BROWN, last year's home MNF loss was a complete fluke, Brownies get squashed this time around

10/18 @ New York Jets, new HC, rookie QB? I don't know how some of you see their silver lining and not ours, first ones's ours next year

12/13 @ Kansas City Chiefs, after last year's trail of tears at Arrowhead, all Trent's "happy dreams" are in red.

Now, for you knee-jerk (I stress jerk) "we're gonna go 7-9'ers," we've only got to add one more out of these ten:

09/27 NEW ORLEANS SAINTS

10/04 @ Miami Dolphins

11/08 BYE

11/15 @ Tennessee Titans

12/03 NEW YORK JETS

12/27 @ Atlanta Falcons

01/03 INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

I've picked 5 of those that we have a very, very good shot at winning, which means 11-5, if all goes according to plan. If you think we'll be huriting to get more than 1 of those 5 wins, please demonstrate, based on opponent, where we'll falter outside our 6 locks.

The Texans took the Bills to the wire in Buffalo two years ago. Now i know Buffalo has improved a lot since then(atleast i hope so) but so has the Texans. They are by no means a lock for anyone this year.

Also Atlanta in Atlanta at the end of the year is going to be a fight. Atlanta will probably be fighting it out with New Orleans for the division. So that game will be hard as hell.

I like you optimism. And you atleat provide thought and reason. And at this point it is all speculation. But to me the team that drops way off this year is the Tennesse Titans.

I like 9-7 for this team maybe 10-6. Hell i would take 8-8 as long as it is meaningfull football in January.

The Texans took the Bills to the wire in Buffalo two years ago. Now i know Buffalo has improved a lot since then(atleast i hope so) but so has the Texans. They are by no means a lock for anyone this year.

Also Atlanta in Atlanta at the end of the year is going to be a fight. Atlanta will probably be fighting it out with New Orleans for the division. So that game will be hard as hell.

I like you optimism. And you atleat provide thought and reason. And at this point it is all speculation. But to me the team that drops way off this year is the Tennesse Titans.

I like 9-7 for this team maybe 10-6. Hell i would take 8-8 as long as it is meaningfull football in January.

Yes, but that Houston game was IN Houston, and the Bills just let them back into it. Wasn't that the game Lee had over 170 yards in the first quarter? It was shades of the Miami game from four years ago, but JP and co. were actually able to cling to the victory at game's end.

It will definitely be a good game, but I like our chances at home. And you're right, it IS speculation. What's funny is you referred to mine as having "thought and reason" when all I did was look at the schedule, never once combing through opponents' off-season moves, etc. Goes to show you where the "prediction" bar is set around these parts. :rolleyes:

09/27 NEW ORLEANS SAINTS

10/04 @ Miami Dolphins

11/08 BYE

11/15 @ Tennessee Titans

12/03 NEW YORK JETS

12/27 @ Atlanta Falcons

01/03 INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

I love your optimism but none of those 6 teams will be a push over & NO win is a lock.