Owens, O-line on the agenda at Booster Club meeting

Lori

Thanks Lori - it is hard not to now be a glass half full person with regards to the upcoming season. I just hope the o-line really does come together. Sounds like Peters really did not want to remain in Buffalo. I suppose we will never know his side of the story.

Hey, call me a homer if you want, and believe me I usually don't spout off like this, but I really believe that IF IF the OL comes together as it has an excellent chance of doing, this Offense has a very good chance of being in the top 5 in TOP due to Jauron's penchant for the ground game and Trent's ability to hit the short ones. Not quite the success in scoring but with luck we have a good chance to crack the top 10........ JMO guys. :thumbsup:

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW Lori,

Great job. That was more Bills info than I have digested in one sitting in many months. Excellent reportage.

At the end of your piece you mentioned that "Trainer Chris Fischetti was on hand to present the team’s Ed Block Courage Award to this year’s recipient, defensive end Chris Kelsay."

I was curious if Kelsay was actually there. I ask of course because of the trade rumors involving him and whether these rumors might have caused him to take a step back from the organization.

Also, is it customary for honored players at Booster Club meetings to actually appear to accept their awards?

Thanks again Lori.

Ugh, unfortunately it seems like Jauron is set on our LB corps. Man, I shudder to think about all of the times that Ellison is going to get run over this season.

As for the O-Line, I noticed a lot of "expects to" and "as of this time" type of comments which makes me think the Bills arent done with O-Line upgrades.

I know, I know...I read between the lines a lot.

I still believe that Alvin Bowen will have a say in that OLB spot this year. Yes, he is basically a rookie but he was quite the hit at camp last year until the injury. Plus he is the "Compliance Linebacker".

I also don't believe that the Bills are done looking at LB's, even though they said so. They know it's probably the one spot they still need to upgrade and didn't through the draft.

you know i have been the biggest critic of the bills for not signing peters but after that article i truly believe Brandon.

its very obvious to me now that peters for whatever reason did not indeed want to be in buffalo any more and harbored very bad feelings because God forbid he made less than dockery and walker for 1 year.

i believe brandon when he said he offered peters the largest contract in bills history and when he said he showed no interest we were in serious trouble.

i truly believe that his prick agent was the death knell to the bills. he obviously poisioned peters towards the bills. i hope the prick dies in a car wreck.

as for peters i hope he blows out both his knees and his achillies on the first play from scrimage on opening day!

this organization took a chance on this rat when nobody in the league wanted him and made him what he is today. what a way to repay them showing no loyality @ all. to me that speaks volumes to this rats character screw him. what goes around comes around.

BTW Lori,

Great job. That was more Bills info than I have digested in one sitting in many months. Excellent reportage.

At the end of your piece you mentioned that "Trainer Chris Fischetti was on hand to present the team’s Ed Block Courage Award to this year’s recipient, defensive end Chris Kelsay."

I was curious if Kelsay was actually there. I ask of course because of the trade rumors involving him and whether these rumors might have caused him to take a step back from the organization.

Also, is it customary for honored players at Booster Club meetings to actually appear to accept their awards?

Thanks again Lori.

Appreciate all the kind words, everyone. Yes, Kelsay was there. (#89 noted that he's changed hairstyles, going with a longer, slicked-back look.) He spoke at some length about the Ed Block Courage Award Foundation and what a great honor it was to receive the award, and that he felt "out of his realm" when comparing his reason (coming back from ankle surgery) against players like Kenichi Udeze, the Vikings DE who battled leukemia, or Matt Bryant, who kicked a game-winning field goal for the Bucs three days after his infant son died.

To show you how much the players value the award, 30 of the 32 recipients traveled to Baltimore for the event.

"It's something that will really mean a lot to me. Oftentimes throughout your career you're recognized for certain things;

this is one thing I'll hang my hat on. It's something I'm really proud of, because it was given to me by my peers -- but also because it stands for something, to get kids out of abusive homes. To be associated with that foundation is a tremendous honor," Kelsay said.

For more information on the Ed Block Courage Award Foundation: http://www.edblock.org/about.htm

Jauron sure shows a lot of faith in Langston Walker. I have a hard time with this.

Btw, this is not a post to bash our OL. Now that the smoke from the draft has cleared, I am actually stunned that we drafted a pair of solid Guards. Jauron said that he was surprised that Levitre was still there. So was I. It is unlike the Bills, and certainly Jauron to draft early round guards.

As for Walker, he is overweight and seems to be plodding when I watch him, which is every game. I honestly thought that he should drop some weight to play Right Tackle, let alone the left side. Things can be done; backs and TEs will certainly be called to help Walker more often than an agile, and even stronger Jason Peters. I am not saying that I am sure Walker will fail at this spot. Not at all, but I view LT as a question mark.

Butler at RT? I have absolutely no idea what to expect. I think that in addition to missing a few games, he played hurt a lot last year because his replacements were just that bad, and I give him lots of credit for doing so. He looks as if he is strong enough to play on the right; we shall see.

Either way, we are deeper in the interior. The middle of the line was probably up there with the worst in the NFL last season. Even with rookies, the running game should improve, especially on 3rd and short. Who knows, maybe the Bills will go for more linemen on both sides next season and turn this team into a tough one. A team that is suited for the climate and the rabid, blue collar fans.

That is pretty much all I ever wanted them to do.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

butler played his entire collage career @ RT you make no sense!

you know i have been the biggest critic of the bills for not signing peters but after that article i truly believe Brandon.

its very obvious to me now that peters for whatever reason did not indeed want to be in buffalo any more and harbored very bad feelings because God forbid he made less than dockery and walker for 1 year.

i believe brandon when he said he offered peters the largest contract in bills history and when he said he showed no interest we were in serious trouble.

i truly believe that his prick agent was the death knell to the bills. he obviously poisioned peters towards the bills. i hope the prick dies in a car wreck.

as for peters i hope he blows out both his knees and his achillies on the first play from scrimage on opening day!this organization took a chance on this rat when nobody in the league wanted him and made him what he is today. what a way to repay them showing no loyality @ all. to me that speaks volumes to this rats character screw him. what goes around comes around.

Wishing disastrous things on others isn't a nice thing to do, but hey, to each their own.

I also wanted to believe that a deal could of gotten done, but after reading many articles and reports and opinions I've come to the conclusion that Eugene Parker felt slighted last year, and there is no doubt in my mind, that he manipulated the less than intelligent Peters to get the hell out of dodge.

This prick Parker, must of felt embarrased that his tactics didn't work for his client last year, and most likely made it virtually impossible for the Bills to keep Peters unless they offered him a ridiculous contract, and I'm thinking considerably higher than what he signed for with Philly.

The past is past, and on paper, it looks like it may work out. We got Woods and Nelson and another draft choice next year in exchange for him. Not to mention we saved boat loads of money to sign other players.

Would it be inappropriate to mention that neither the Snooze nor D&C have word 1 published about last night's meeting?

Brandon's explanation of the Peter's situation goes far beyond anything I've read elsewhere and yet not a word from the 2 papers?

Maybe those quotes will come out at a later time, but...I must say...fine work Lori...

now get back to work

Would it be inappropriate to mention that neither the Snooze nor D&C have word 1 published about last night's meeting?

Brandon's explanation of the Peter's situation goes far beyond anything I've read elsewhere and yet not a word from the 2 papers?

Maybe those quotes will come out at a later time, but...I must say...fine work Lori...

now get back to work

Um, I don't think the media typically staffs too many Booster Club meetings ...

Start 4-12s today. I should probably still be asleep. Ah well.

Based on what you took in last night they should start!

Maybe I'm overblowing this, but Brandon's quotes were very revealing (to me).

I see a free lance article in your future (or is that against the rules)

Come to think of it, Brandon telling Peters we are not going to talk to you until we take care of Evans was stupid. What if they never agreed to a contract with Evans? It was incentive for Peters to hold out, not report to camp. And completely spits in the face of the idea of a huge portion of fans here who said that all Peters had to do was show up and play and be a team player and we will take care of you. It told him just the opposite. Come in and we'll ignore you until we take care of another guy we have been negotiating for a year already with.

I'm glad this is over with, and it may prove to be a good trade but that wasn't smart by Brandon, IMO.

Based on what you took in last night they should start!

Maybe I'm overblowing this, but Brandon's quotes were very revealing (to me).

I see a free lance article in your future (or is that against the rules)

Yeah, Lori, you are about the only actual football reporter in WNY, as far as I can tell. The rest are just "mouths". Big love seems to be for hockey.

I also sense that the Peters situation actually got to the point where bad blood spilled over. I sensed the same thing in Brandon's tone at the pre-draft luncheon (days before the trade). I honestly get the sense that the organization feels betrayed: they took a flier on Peters, stood by him when there wasn't an obvious position available, mentored him, developed him into being one of the better tackles in the league -- and thought they were being proactive in signing him to a pretty good contract that DID have escalators pending a move to LT. The point is: they weren't simply trying to buy low. The 2007 Peters may have outperformed that contract, but I don't think the 2008 version did.

My take all along has been that Eugen Parker saw a rookie GM last year and thought he could bully him into coughing up a fat, new contract for his client. When he lost the stare-down contest, it placed him in the position of either getting the biggest contract EVER for his client -- or forcing a trade to maintain face. In the former situation he can claim that his tactics worked after all. In the latter, he can emphasize how reasonable he was being after all -- and that the Bills were low-balling his client. The sad thing is that if Parker had just given his client less self-serving (from the agent's perspective) advice last year, Peters would have shown up to camp, worked his way into shape, performed better for the team AND wound up with a nice, new contract. Instead, he was more interested in forcing him out of town for the reasons I already mentioned.

Also, I do also sense that the team (or at least Jauron) never got over Crowell's 24th hour decision to have surgery last year. Note that Dick brought it up again when talking about Ellison.

Come to think of it, Brandon telling Peters we are not going to talk to you until we take care of Evans was stupid. What if they never agreed to a contract with Evans? It was incentive for Peters to hold out, not report to camp. And completely spits in the face of the idea of a huge portion of fans here who said that all Peters had to do was show up and play and be a team player and we will take care of you. It told him just the opposite. Come in and we'll ignore you until we take care of another guy we have been negotiating for a year already with.

I'm glad this is over with, and it may prove to be a good trade but that wasn't smart by Brandon, IMO.

No, I think Brandon was pointing out: Look how we take care of the guys that actually show up, play under their existing contract and participate in camp. No player is going to hold this team hostage by holding out. I think it is a good precedent to set. Peters claimed that holding out was his only leverage. Why is that? Because he decided to hold out after only playing the first two years of what was a very generous contract at the time; thus, with three years remaining on his existing contract he did not have the added leverage of the free agency timetable (as Lee had).

Actually, all it really means is that they offered him 50 million over 7 years, which would be a million more than the most ever offered, 7-49 mil to Derrick Dockery. We still don't know what they offered Peters, but usually when teams use that term it is total contract, as in 40, 50, 60 mil. Evans' extension was 34 mil.

I think they offered a lot more than 7 mil, and probably between 8-9 mil a year, and Peters was holding out for 10.

It also should put to bed all the nonsense about all Peters had to do last year was come in to camp and they would talk. Brandon explicitly told him come in to camp and we WON'T talk.

cant you read.

believe me if they were only i million apart the deal would have gotten done in a heartbeat. you can bet your as- they offered him gross money. its very obvious from there no interest at all stance that he was not negotiating with the bills its hard to negotiate with yourself.

the rat simply was not going to play here anymore and their stance proved that.

peters signed his deal the year before. he told him to come to camp and they will talk(BY THE WAY HE NEVER CAME TO CAMP). they talked and he told him after lee its you. he was true to his word because @ the end of the year they offered him the largest deal in bills history.

what dont you understand?

you tell me one team who renegotiates a new deal with 3 years left on it, answer nobody.

you tell me one team who renegotiates a new deal with 3 years left on it, answer nobody.

Let's not start another de facto Peters thread here, agreed? That said in answer to oak tree's comment:

"Obviously, I had three years left on my deal so they didn't have to do anything ... so it's good: It's good for both of us," said by Aaron Schobel after the Bills extended him with three years remaining on his existing contract.

And yes, I'm aware that the two situations were not the same. Schobel did all the right things. Just pointing this out.

Well, it certainly appears there was a ton of news value at last night's meeting. If any of the news papers mention anything from this, they better give you due credit.

Lori, I enjoyed your booster club piece. Tons of interesting info and well written, of course, as usual.

(BTW, am I blind or is it not linked on the TBD front page? I actually stumbled onto it from a link on BZone.)

I was amazed at how forthcoming and coherent Brandon was. He usually drives me crazy with his deadpan, say-nothing, man-in-the-gray-flannel-suit speak. Secrecy is a WAY overrated commodity in the NFL. Over the long run, I think you build a stronger organizational culture - and that culture includes fans and media, of course - by being relatively transparent, honest, and human. Don't need to give the gory details, but understanding and feeling like part of the team's process is important for coaches, players, reporters, and fans alike, each in their own ways.

Anyway, Brandon shocked me with his willingness to describe some the Bills' off-season high-jinks in detail. It was great. Was he drinking? Was his demeanor different than normal? What did you make of it? I'll be happy not to have a Robo-GM (sorry, Robo-COO).

[Edit: Whoops, just saw the long thread about Lori's article. Don't know how I missed it. Mods, feel free to merge this into that or close it or delete it or whatever.]

cant you read.

believe me if they were only i million apart the deal would have gotten done in a heartbeat. you can bet your as- they offered him gross money. its very obvious from there no interest at all stance that he was not negotiating with the bills its hard to negotiate with yourself.

the rat simply was not going to play here anymore and their stance proved that.

peters signed his deal the year before. he told him to come to camp and they will talk(BY THE WAY HE NEVER CAME TO CAMP). they talked and he told him after lee its you. he was true to his word because @ the end of the year they offered him the largest deal in bills history.

what dont you understand?

I understand it all. I understand Brandon putting his out his side of the story.

I understand that the biggest contract ever in Bills history was 7 years 49 million for Derrick Dockery, and then it was Schobel at 7 years and 50 mil who was signed "to the biggest contract in Bills history". And if they offered Peters the biggest contract ever it COULD have meant 7+ million just as easily as 8 mil or 9 mil or 10 mil. I would bet anything that Peters would have signed with the Bills for the same amount the Eagles offered. Peters was shocked that the Bills traded him and said so the day after the trade.

I understand that Brandon told the fans that all Peters had to do was show up and we would talk about a new contract but left out the fact that they werent going to talk about a new contract until after Lee signed, and under no circumstances were they going to talk about a new contract for last season WHICH WAS THE SOLE REASON FOR THE HOLDOUT.

I'll tell you a team that renegotiates a new deal with three years left -- THE BILLS. They did it with Schobel.

Quick, simple answer: He wasn't speaking to the media last night. Same with Jauron.

And no, I didn't give it "top story" billing, which is the only way I can put something on the front page.

Quick, simple answer: He wasn't speaking to the media last night. Same with Jauron.

And no, I didn't give it "top story" billing, which is the only way I can put something on the front page.

Well, you should give it "top story" billing, because it is the most revealing piece on the Bills to come out in a while.

Thanks for writing it.

I understand it all. I understand Brandon putting his out his side of the story.

I understand that the biggest contract ever in Bills history was 7 years 49 million for Derrick Dockery and if they offered Peters the biggest contract ever it COULD have meant 7+ million just as easily as 8 mil or 9 mil or 10 mil. I would bet anything that Peters would have signed with the Bills for the same amount the Eagles offered. Peters was shocked that the Bills traded him and said so the day after the trade.

I understand that Brandon told the fans that all Peters had to do was show up and we would talk about a new contract but left out the fact that they werent going to talk about a new contract until after Lee signed, and under no circumstances were they going to talk about a new contract for last season WHICH WAS THE SOLE REASON FOR THE HOLDOUT.

I'll tell you a team that renegotiates a new deal with three years left -- THE BILLS. They did it with Schobel.

No, I don't believe that to be the case at all.

Parker was in charge of the show, and there is little doubt in my view that he wanted to do business with the Bills. He was embarrassed that he didn't get his new client money last year, he was embarrased that the Bills took control of the situation last year. He is used to teams caving in to his demands, and the fact that the Bills didn't, pissed him off. Once he knew there was another market for Peters, he played hard ball right back with the Bills.

If the Bills thought that all they had to do was increase their offer $1 Million more, because what we had heard was that we were offering just south of $9 Million, I'm sure that they would of.

I believe that Parker gave them the impression that they were no where in the ball park of consideration making the Bills explore their other options.

I was all for wanting to keep Peters, but it was painfully obvious that Parker didn't want him to be here.

Remember, it wasn't Parker who was the point man on this deal, and when the Bills rejected him last year, it was over! Specially knowing that his client would be in high demand

Thank You Lori :thumbsup:

I am certain now that Jason Peters did not want to play here anymore after reading they offered him more money than Lee Evans. WOW that had to be more than 10 million.

and I am surprised they want Walker to play LT. Hope he loses some weight to play the left side

No, I don't believe that to be the case at all.

Parker was in charge of the show, and there is little doubt in my view that he wanted to do business with the Bills. He was embarrassed that he didn't get his new client money last year, he was embarrased that the Bills took control of the situation last year. He is used to teams caving in to his demands, and the fact that the Bills didn't, pissed him off. Once he knew there was another market for Peters, he played hard ball right back with the Bills.

If the Bills thought that all they had to do was increase their offer $1 Million more, because what we had heard was that we were offering just south of $9 Million, I'm sure that they would of.

I believe that Parker gave them the impression that they were no where in the ball park of consideration making the Bills explore their other options.

I was all for wanting to keep Peters, but it was painfully obvious that Parker didn't want him to be here.

Remember, it wasn't Parker who was the point man on this deal, and when the Bills rejected him last year, it was over! Specially knowing that his client would be in high demand

I have been told by a very reliable source that it was Peters idea for the holdout. In your scenario you may be right, which means to me that the Bills WERENT offering within a million a year. I think they were offering about 8 mil a year. Maybe 8.5. That's why Peters didnt respond at all, it was three million less than he was asking for, a million and a half dollars less than what he was willing to settle for, and that much less than the going rate that Jordan Gross just signed for.

Peters fully expected to play for the Bills. If he just wanted out he NEVER would have said what he did the day after the trade, that he was "floored" when he heard about the trade. He never expected it. A guy who doesn't want to play here and makes every indication he won't sign is NOT floored by a trade. Sorry.

I still believe that Alvin Bowen will have a say in that OLB spot this year. Yes, he is basically a rookie but he was quite the hit at camp last year until the injury. Plus he is the "Compliance Linebacker".

I also don't believe that the Bills are done looking at LB's, even though they said so. They know it's probably the one spot they still need to upgrade and didn't through the draft.

Camp was barely a week old when he got hurt. How big of an impact could he have made? :thumbsup:

Thank You Lori :thumbsup:

I am certain now that Jason Peters did not want to play here anymore after reading they offered him more money than Lee Evans. WOW that had to be more than 10 million.

and I am surprised they want Walker to play LT. Hope he loses some weight to play the left side

Again, when teams talk about "the biggest contract" they almost always mean total dollars, not per year. Up until then, whenever we heard the biggest contract in Bills history, it was Mike Williams for 40 million. Then it was Dockery at 7-49. Later it was Schobel who signed the biggest contract at 7 years 50 mil. Brandon didnt say and didnt necessarily mean more than Lee Evans. All it meant was more than 50 mil.

Actually, all it really means is that they offered him 50 million over 7 years, which would be a million more than the most ever offered, 7-49 mil to Derrick Dockery. We still don't know what they offered Peters, but usually when teams use that term it is total contract, as in 40, 50, 60 mil. Evans' extension was 34 mil.

I think they offered a lot more than 7 mil, and probably between 8-9 mil a year, and Peters was holding out for 10.

It also should put to bed all the nonsense about all Peters had to do last year was come in to camp and they would talk. Brandon explicitly told him come in to camp and we WON'T talk.

Peters showed up out of shape and helped scuttle the season for his team. Maybe in your world you reward people like that. Not in mine.

PTR

Again, when teams talk about "the biggest contract" they almost always mean total dollars, not per year. Up until then, whenever we heard the biggest contract in Bills history, it was Mike Williams for 40 million. Then it was Dockery at 7-49. Later it was Schobel who signed the biggest contract at 7 years 50 mil. Brandon didnt say and didnt necessarily mean more than Lee Evans. All it meant was more than 50 mil.

Were you in the room with Russ and Jason or you just assuming?

PTR

I have been told by a very reliable source that it was Peters idea for the holdout. In your scenario you may be right, which means to me that the Bills WERENT offering within a million a year. I think they were offering about 8 mil a year. Maybe 8.5. That's why Peters didnt respond at all, it was three million less than he was asking for, a million and a half dollars less than what he was willing to settle for, and that much less than the going rate that Jordan Gross just signed for.

Peters fully expected to play for the Bills. If he just wanted out he NEVER would have said what he did the day after the trade, that he was "floored" when he heard about the trade. He never expected it. A guy who doesn't want to play here and makes every indication he won't sign is NOT floored by a trade. Sorry.

Where your argument fails is what you think may or may not be true. You don't know you are just assuming your thoughts to be fact. Nice try Kelly but that dog don't hunt.

Were you in the room with Russ and Jason or you just assuming?

PTR

The quotes in the paper when Mike Williams signed, when Derrick Dockery signed, and when Aaron Schobel resigned were "they signed to the richest contract in Bills history". You may substitute biggest for richest. Lee Evans' extension was for 34 million. You can do the math.

The quote about it being Peters idea for the holdout came from a reporter covering the Bills.

The quote from Peters himself about being "floored" when the Bills traded him was all over the news and in the Philly papers for a couple days.

The quotes in the paper when Mike Williams signed, when Derrick Dockery signed, and when Aaron Schobel resigned were "they signed to the richest contract in Bills history". You may substitute biggest for richest. Lee Evans' extension was for 34 million. You can do the math.

The quote about it being Peters idea for the holdout came from a reporter covering the Bills.

The quote from Peters himself about being "floored" when the Bills traded him was all over the news and in the Philly papers for a couple days.

Here's another flaw in your arguement: You think that because Dockery got $49M that Bills offered Peters $49+$1 and called it the richest deal in Bills history. You assume that because you want to defend Peters so badly. Brandon could well have offered Peters $10M/yr and he still could have turned it down. All your arguements are based on assumptions. He's gone. It's over. Let it drop already.

PTR

Where your argument fails is what you think may or may not be true. You don't know you are just assuming your thoughts to be fact. Nice try Kelly but that dog don't hunt.

Pretty much every post on here may or may not be true. Except this post: It's inarguably true. :thumbsup:

But no, I don't assume my opinions are facts. Pretty much everything we know for sure leans toward that conclusion though, IMO.

Peters showed up out of shape and helped scuttle the season for his team. Maybe in your world you reward people like that. Not in mine.

PTR

Well it seems like in mine, and Mark Gaughan and Tim Graham's and most of the rest of the country's world, you do pay that much for one of the best LTs in the game. (I think I was reading Mr. Graham correctly that he would have paid Peters the 6-60, perhaps not). I know Gaughan said it today in his chat. The Eagles sure thought so.

I do understand clearly the Bills side. I understand if they didnt think he was worth the 10 mil a year he would have signed for. That's a VERY legitimate stance for the team to take. I think he is, but there are clearly two schools of thought. Most teams IMO would pay him 6-60 if given the option and a need for a LT. That's just my opinion.

I always said Peters was wrong and I always said Brandon was right. I've said it directly to you about a dozen times because you keep saying the same thing.

My only problem with Brandon, which I said repeatedly, and which was proven by his remarks last night, was that he was lying to the fans. He wasn't at all prepared to talk contract if Peters just showed up. I was slightly wrong about it because I thought there was only one stipulation by Brandon, but there were actually two. Not only was he NOT going to talk contract with Peters for last year, but he wasn't going to talk contract with Peters for THIS year either until Evans was resigned, and who knew when that was going to be a year ago. They negotiated for a year and a half with Evans.

Here's another flaw in your arguement: You think that because Dockery got $49M that Bills offered Peters $49+$1 and called it the richest deal in Bills history. You assume that because you want to defend Peters so badly. Brandon could well have offered Peters $10M/yr and he still could have turned it down. All your arguements are based on assumptions. He's gone. It's over. Let it drop already.

PTR

No, the only thing I was saying was just because Brandon said he offered Peters the richest contract in Bills history, you can't at all assume he meant more than 9 million a year they are paying Evans, and the reason you can't assume that is because three times straight the Bills have used the term "richest in team history" they were talking about total millions, not dollars per year.

And we know for a fact that Peters did sign for 6-60 million, which is what I predicted he would sign for, and what I thought it would take for the Bills to sign him, for several weeks before he signed for that amount.