Owens, O-line on the agenda at Booster Club meeting

Lori

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Russ Brandon is really growing on me. He sounds very intelligent, and has made some good moves the last few years.

I like the direction we've been going as far as player aquisitions and departures are concerned. Literally, trimming the fat, and adding some lean mean football players.

Btw, Great read Lori!

Ugh, unfortunately it seems like Jauron is set on our LB corps. Man, I shudder to think about all of the times that Ellison is going to get run over this season.

With Jauron saying that "Keith did a terrific job filling in all year at that spot," it says to me that they're not looking for him to start again this year. Otherwise he would have said "Keith proved he could be a great player" or something close.

Please explain how this translates into not having to overpay. A few of these guys will get huge contracts before even taking the field.

I don't really see where you are going with this. Sorry.

Outside the top 10, rooks aren't making ridiculous gobs of money. So you can snag a decent OT in the pick 15-25 range and only have to pay him about 3-4mil per year with about 10 guaranteed.

They offered the largest contract in Bills history to Peters... wow. Evans is making $9 million a year, so it has to be more than that.

Actually, all it really means is that they offered him 50 million over 7 years, which would be a million more than the most ever offered, 7-49 mil to Derrick Dockery. We still don't know what they offered Peters, but usually when teams use that term it is total contract, as in 40, 50, 60 mil. Evans' extension was 34 mil.

I think they offered a lot more than 7 mil, and probably between 8-9 mil a year, and Peters was holding out for 10.

It also should put to bed all the nonsense about all Peters had to do last year was come in to camp and they would talk. Brandon explicitly told him come in to camp and we WON'T talk.

Ugh, unfortunately it seems like Jauron is set on our LB corps. Man, I shudder to think about all of the times that Ellison is going to get run over this season.

As for the O-Line, I noticed a lot of "expects to" and "as of this time" type of comments which makes me think the Bills arent done with O-Line upgrades.

I know, I know...I read between the lines a lot.

What's interesting is he said Ellison did a good job "filling in". Not a ringing endorsement for a starting OLB.

I think it will be an open competition between Ellison, Digiorgio, Pat Thomas, Nic Harris, and Alvin Bowen.

Remember, this is our 3rd best LB, this guy isnt going to be asked to do the things Poz and Mitchell are. I mean we had Spikes and Fletcher here, Posey hardly ever did anything, he hardly ever hurt us either.

With Jauron saying that "Keith did a terrific job filling in all year at that spot," it says to me that they're not looking for him to start again this year. Otherwise he would have said "Keith proved he could be a great player" or something close.

So we have a guy in the wings who they think is going to be better than "terrific"? Awesome!!

I agree; the verbiage he chose does not say Ellison is our starter. It says, he is a backup and did a great job as such. And I'm keeping in mind DJ is a very smart guy and doesn't just throw his words around.

So we have a guy in the wings who they think is going to be better than "terrific"? Awesome!!

I think they are counting on Bowen to start. They were very high on him last year before the injury. But that seems pretty stupid.

I agree; the verbiage he chose does not say Ellison is our starter. It says, he is a backup and did a great job as such. And I'm keeping in mind DJ is a very smart guy and doesn't just throw his words around.

I think they are counting on Bowen to start. They were very high on him last year before the injury. But that seems pretty stupid.

I agree and disagree with your first point. I do think that DJ is very smart, there are certain times that he goes out of his way to praise someone with some very strong language. But everyone else "does a terrific job for us". I don't think those words are chosen carefully. We would have a team full of pro bowlers based on his observations.

I think I would rather have Nic Harris win the job, but who knows. I really don't know why people are so excited about guys like Bell and Bowen because the team talks them up. They talk up everyone, including the players that suck, like Ellison.

I agree and disagree with your first point. I do think that DJ is very smart, there are certain times that he goes out of his way to praise someone with some very strong language. But everyone else "does a terrific job for us". I don't think those words are chosen carefully. We would have a team full of pro bowlers based on his observations.

I think I would rather have Nic Harris win the job, but who knows. I really don't know why people are so excited about guys like Bell and Bowen because the team talks them up. They talk up everyone, including the players that suck, like Ellison.

You are correct. The team pumps up players all the time. I still think he is mindful of what words he uses. I think pumping up the players is strategic, as is his vagueness. What I watch for is when he breaks from the chorus of "does a terrific job for us" and gets more specific, that's when you know he is really saying something.

I too would like to see Harris take the job, but Bowen deserves a shot. Not necessarily a starting shot, but a shot to prove himself in camp and the preseason games.

I too would like to see Harris take the job, but Bowen deserves a shot. Not necessarily a starting shot, but a shot to prove himself in camp and the preseason games.

Heck yeah he deserves a shot. I could care less (you too, I know) the name on the back of the jersey; put the guy that gives us the best chance on the field.

Who knows, it could be 2 or 3 in some combination. If one plays the run better...good; if another plays the pass better substitute away...

"A couple of quick notes before I shut this down for the night:

--Booster Club president Sharon Jackson asked that thoughts and prayers go out not only to Ralph Wilson and family upon the passing of his daughter, Linda Bogdan, but also to the surviving family members of Tom Sestak, whose wife died yesterday. And if Lou Saban’s family didn’t already have enough heartache to deal with, the family home was apparently destroyed in the wildfires that devastated parts of North Myrtle Beach, S.C."[/i]

Yeesh!

Very sad time in the Bills family! :thumbsup:

I share my thoughts and condolences to all affected by these loses.

P.S. Thank you, Lori

I also agree that he chose his words carefully in stating what he did. To me that says he most likely won't be our starter this year. Good insight VOR

i get the impression some nfl teams are moving towards an idea of the line being uniform, preferring to spend LG to RT rather then blowing the wad on LT LG. I think this suits our team best, as like corners LTs are actually always available round one in the draft, so you don't absolutely have to over pay to sign one, but the actual addition to winning comes from the line being a good unit, not a compliment of players like how the D line is.
Please explain how this translates into not having to overpay. A few of these guys will get huge contracts before even taking the field.

I don't really see where you are going with this. Sorry.

Depends on where in the first round you draft the tackle. Here are the highest and lowest paid first round tackles from last year's draft:

1. Jake Long, Miami Dolphins - 5 years, $57.5 million ($30 million guaranteed)

26. Duane Brown, Houston Texans - 5 years, $11.4 million ($6.5 million guaranteed)

If we had drafted Michael Oher at #11 or Ebben Britton at #28, neither of them would have cost us much money. Last year's #11 and #28 contracts:

11. Leodis McKelvin, Buffalo Bills - 5 years, $19.4 million ($12.6 million guaranteed)

28. Lawrence Jackson, Seattle Seahawks - 5 years, $11.25 million ($6.1 million guaranteed)

So first round tackles can be had for a relatively small contract.