Report: Lynch suspended three games

Totally inappropiate for the situation. I am not a big fan of Godell's I think he is ruining the game not saving it.

:blink:

are you kidding? the league is finally starting to do right by the league and is punishing the criminal aspect of it. We are all pissed because it is Marshawn but the truth of the matter is that he has broken the law, and while the law has given him the lighter side of punishments, it does not mean that the NFL has to do that. I hope that his suspension gets reduced, but either way, he made the mistakes and now he is going to deal with the consequences. Maybe it forces him to grow up and realize he is destroying his career, or he goes the way of someone like Adam Jones, and just hopes someone else will give him a chance.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My biggest fear is that the league corrects the BS on our schedule from last year and slams us with 3 Division games to open the season. We're gonna find out early where we stand this year...

Ha. I didn't even think of that. This is a total bag job. Open your eyes people.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4054396

He got off light. I predicted at least 4 games. I think Goodell was encouraged by Marshawn's willingness to meet with him and to admit what an idiot he was. Lynch is now on track to put this crap behind him. Lynch will be in Canton for the Hall of Fame Game with the Bills. He should talk to Bruce Smith for a few minutes. Smith was suspended 4 games in 1988 for violating the NFL drug testing policy. Obviously, Bruce was able to put that experience way behind him as he enters the Hall of Fame.

I'll be looking forward to watching this kid beginning week 4 of this season.

My biggest fear is that the league corrects the BS on our schedule from last year and slams us with 3 Division games to open the season. We're gonna find out early where we stand this year...

I made a post a few weeks ago regarding the fact that I thought we would probably open on the

road against an NFC team this year, and that I did not like playing divisional opponents to open

the season, or on prime time, or back to back to back, for that matter.

Somebody shot back, jokingly, that we will be opening the season on the road in New England

on Monday night, this was before they announced that we would be doing exactly that.

I shot back quickly with "that's not funny, as that is exactly what they will probably do to us, as

the leauge hates us". It was less than a week after when they announced the MNF opener, and I about

sh-- my pants. My point is, it is getting almost predictable as to the annual screw jobs that we get in the

form of scheduling, you are never quite sure how it will come, but you know it's coming.

The problem with prime time divisional games, is that they are so significant to begin with, as it basically

represents a a possible two game swing in the standings, you throw in the MN/SN atmosphere, and home

crowd advantage, and the playing field isn't quite level, add in it being their opener, then ML missing, which,

btw, you can't really blame on the leauge, and you have a recipe for disaster. That being said, I think we

will beat them. The leauge did get away from prime divisional games for a while, but they seem to be migrating

back to them, I would prefer interconference prime times myself, ala Dallas/Buffalo.

In the grand scheme of things, the only real difference between ML and Plax, is ML didn't shoot himself. The possession is a huge issue, especially to those of us who 'want' law abiding gun owners so we don't get all of our rights yanked because of knuckleheads and wrong do'ers

In the end, the best ML can do is serve out the suspension and embrace what the commish is trying to do and maybe even set an example that when you screw up, you man up and don't run to your agent and lawyer to draft an appeal for something you wrongfully did.

I want him there as much as anyone opening night, but enough is enough with these guys already getting away with exponentially more than any of us common folk ever could, then turning around and crying that losing 3 paychecks is "unfair" Anyone that reverts back to the "well 'so and so' got this punishment" really needs to learn the "lead by example" mantra. Otherwise penalties get less and less severe which breeds more bad behavior without fear of actual consequence

LOL! And "the only real difference between" Roscoe Parrish and Donte Stallworth is that Roscoe didn't kill someone while driving drunk. :blink:

The Commish has an obligation to be consistent with his rulings. He wasn't.

Not so fast as far as your assumption about what the NFLPA will do or how hard they will fight for Lynch even if they do file an appeal.

It was certainly true that before the NFLPA became a partner with the NFL after the union forced the owners into signing the new CBA by threatening to decertify itself (the owners ran and did not walk to reach an agreement to collude with the vets to restrict free-trade negotiating with college players with the draft and also to prohibit players far beyond the age of adulthood from even signing with the league).

The NFLPA arguably became the majority partner in this arrangement when Gene Upshaw dictated that the current revised CBA would dispense with the concept of a designated gross and that the players would get a share of the total gross which started with a 6 (it was no accident that the final agreement awarded the players with 60.5% of the total gross receipts).

The result was that Upshaw was quite public in announcing that in the future the NFLPA was going to represent the interests of the majority of its members who were making money like bandits and by far getting the majority of the receipts and would support disciplining of players so these young fools did not kill the goose laying the golden eggs.

The result was that Upshaw joined the NFL in announcing that in the future player disciplines like suspensions would be given out not when a player had been found guilty by a court but in fact when they had repeated incidents of unsavory behavior whether they were convicted or not.

The test cases were idiots like Pac-Man Jones and Chris Henry and the NFLPA did not utter a discouraging word to protect them.

So to with Lynch I suspect, the NFLPA undoubtedly signed off on the tougher than the pre-Pac-Man past when the NFLPA would reflexively defend a player almost no matter how stupid his behavior was.While Machiavelli would have the NFLPA join an appeal and get this sentence reduced to 2 games so it can demonstrate some moderation, it would not be surprising to me if the NFLPA wa joining with the NFLPA to crack down on miscreant behavior by young players.

Overall, 3 games seems a little harsh but would not surprise me if when Lynch met with Goodell after his first auto malfunction that what may have happened is that Lynch promised to change his ways after the first incident. If this were the case Lynch is getting 3 games for the league because he already fooled them once claiming he would change his ways.

The NFLPA agreed to the "personal conduct policy" in order to get the owners to bend over for them and give them more of a percentage of total revenue. Now that the owners are looking to take back some of that money, look for the NFLPA to tell the owners to stick their personal conduct policy where the sun don't shine.

Hopefully, it's reduced to two on appeal.

This is what I expect will occur. Either way I believe Lynch got a fair shake - he was not at all smart for putting himself in the situation and was lucky that more did not happen. I wonder if the league had opted to have him hair tested for drugs (can go back 60 days) shortly after the event if they would have discovered he was using. This would have only added to Lynch's woes.

I really hope he cleans up his act.

In the grand scheme of things, the only real difference between ML and Plax, is ML didn't shoot himself. \

Wrong. Even if he didn't shoot himself, Plax carried a loaded weapon into a nightclub. While I agree unregistered guns are an issue (strangely several retired military guys down here in Florida disagree), carrying a gun into a nightclub is far different than having one locked in the trunk, IMO.

Bingo. I expected a 1-2 game suspension by Goodell and it to get reduced to nothing but a fine, again using Marshall's more egregious transgressions as the precedent. Giving him 3 games is a farce, and it will be a worse one if he ends-up serving more than 1 game.

Expecting a 1-2 game suspension that would subsequently get reduced to a fine was delusional. Still thinking that he may escape with no suspension is just bizarre.

By the way, the appeals process is.......Roger Goodell.

I think the commish is being strict because of the pattern of behavior Lynch has shown moreso than because of the severity of the wrongdoing.

Having said this the commish is a Jets fan so his penalizing a AFCE team as he did isn't surprising.

Complete bull sh-- suspension. Yes, Marshawn does need to be punished, but apparently Goodell is determining punishment based on which side of the bed he wakes up and on whether he has waffles or eggs for breakfast that morning. I don't mind if he's going to be harsh on players, but i do expect the commissioner to be consistent in his penalties. This "i determine the punishment based on how i see fit" gives him too much leeway. You can bet your ass that if this was Willie Parker or Laurence Maroney, they'd be fined and that would be that. I fully expect this to be appealed and reduced to 1 game, just like what happened with Marshall last offseason.

1 more question: Lynch gets suspended 3 games for having a gun in the trunk, but Matt Jones can snort coke and only gets 3 games?

Wrong. Even if he didn't shoot himself, Plax carried a loaded weapon into a nightclub. While I agree unregistered guns are an issue (strangely several retired military guys down here in Florida disagree), carrying a gun into a nightclub is far different than having one locked in the trunk, IMO.

Oh yeah? Get a 'load' of this!

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2009/ap...s/?breakingnews

I sent this to all my buds and they replied that this Yankee 'better do all your drinkin' at home'.

The guy hit a pedestrian and left the scene of the crime, and later implausibly pleaded ignorance. That is the behavior of a lowlife a-hole. He may not have been punished for that (and I'm sure the legal eagles here will parse out my judgment on him as a consequence), but frankly, he deserves what he just got. It's karmic payback. Hopefully, he'll learn from the episodes and take the message to heart.

Complete bull sh-- suspension. Yes, Marshawn does need to be punished, but apparently Goodell is determining punishment based on which side of the bed he wakes up and on whether he has waffles or eggs for breakfast that morning. I don't mind if he's going to be harsh on players, but i do expect the commissioner to be consistent in his penalties. This "i determine the punishment based on how i see fit" gives him too much leeway. You can bet your ass that if this was Willie Parker or Laurence Maroney, they'd be fined and that would be that. I fully expect this to be appealed and reduced to 1 game, just like what happened with Marshall last offseason.

1 more question: Lynch gets suspended 3 games for having a gun in the trunk, but Matt Jones can snort coke and only gets 3 games?

Vick is again in the news. Bad PR for the league, so the hammer is swinging.. See also ex-B'gal LB Odell Thurmann getting an additional years' suspension when Vick's case was peppering the airwaves and the newspapers.

I think this is the best thing for Lynch longterm. He is probably the best guy in all of sports when it comes to apologies. And i want to give him the benefit of the doubt that he is sincere. But if this doesn't sevre as a wake up call to him, then nothing will. He should learn from this and understand how much he has let himself down, and his team. At some point everyone of us here has gotten a wake up call. Well most of us. And someone sat us down and told us this is life. We all have made mistakes, a man is judged ultimately on how he responds to the mistakes he has made.

It will be tough going the first few games with out him, but ultimately this could be the best thing for Lynch and the Bills.

I believe the Bills will wait till training camp cuts before they sign a vet. A guy that could come in and play during the first part of the season while Lynch is out, and while he gets back into game day shape. I like Jackson a lot, but he will need another competent back splitting time with him those first few games. And also will help Jackson have better legs later on in the season, while he is splitting time with Lynch.

Lynch will be allowed to practice with the team during preseason correct?