PFW Bills "desperately" want to avoid trading Peters

I know, I know...another Peters thread. But hey, any news before draft day is appreciated in my books.

Early word out of Orchard Park is that the Bills are a prime candidate to trade down from the No. 11 spot of the first round, particularly in the event a QB-hungry team needs to jump up to grab Matt Stafford, Mark Sanchez or Josh Freeman. With pressing needs at numerous positions including tight end, defensive end and outside linebacker, and with most of the premier talents likely gone, the Bills’ most prudent move could very well be stockpiling picks. The most significant wild card in their draft plans figures to be Pro Bowl OLT Jason Peters. Ongoing extension talks are hitting a bit of a snag, but we hear that trading him is an alternative that team brass desperately wants to avoid. They’d be more inclined to part with him if they were in position to draft a stud OLT prospect such as Jason Smith or Eugene Monroe, but that appears to be a remote possibility outside the top 10.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+W...rapup040509.htm

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know, I know...another Peters thread. But hey, any news before draft day is appreciated in my books.

Early word out of Orchard Park is that the Bills are a prime candidate to trade down from the No. 11 spot of the first round, particularly in the event a QB-hungry team needs to jump up to grab Matt Stafford, Mark Sanchez or Josh Freeman. With pressing needs at numerous positions including tight end, defensive end and outside linebacker, and with most of the premier talents likely gone, the Bills’ most prudent move could very well be stockpiling picks. The most significant wild card in their draft plans figures to be Pro Bowl OLT Jason Peters. Ongoing extension talks are hitting a bit of a snag, but we hear that trading him is an alternative that team brass desperately wants to avoid. They’d be more inclined to part with him if they were in position to draft a stud OLT prospect such as Jason Smith or Eugene Monroe, but that appears to be a remote possibility outside the top 10.

Interesting news. Not sure where the "early word" is coming out of but hopefully its true and they get Peters on board so we can all stop worrying about the LT position and creating yet another need to be filled. I would find it hard for them to sign TO in a clear effort to save DJ and the current makeup of players and then dump a top end LT (non-dominant year notwithstanding).

Trading down from 11 makes sense unless by some miracle we can get Brown.

According to this, it seems as if the Bills FO doesn't want to trade Peters unless they feel that they have to. I think that is the right approach. Seems to me there is a 50/50 shot at trading Peters by draft day. If the Bills don't trade Peters by draft day, then my guess is he'll sign with the Bills at some point going into the season.

As far as the Bills being a target for a trade down, I think that all depends on whether or not Sanchez gets picked before our draft choice, if he does, then I don't see Denver going after Freeman. He doesn't seem to be a fit to me in what they are trying to do. If that is the case and other NFL teams are thinking the same then all of a sudden our #11 pick becomes much less valuable.

According to this, it seems as if the Bills FO doesn't want to trade Peters unless they feel that they have to. I think that is the right approach. Seems to me there is a 50/50 shot at trading Peters by draft day. If the Bills don't trade Peters by draft day, then my guess is he'll sign with the Bills at some point going into the season.

As far as the Bills being a target for a trade down, I think that all depends on whether or not Sanchez gets picked before then, if he does, then I don't see Denver going after Freeman. He doesn't seem to be a fit to me in what they are trying to do. If that is the case and other NFL teams are thinking the same then all of a sudden our #11 pick becomes much less valuable.

IMHO, if the front office hasn't made any progress with him before the draft, I think they will move him, because I'm not sure they feel they can risk another extended holdout.

Again, just my opinion.

Despartely? a litte too strong of a word methinks. I do think it's 50 - 50. I think if someone offered them a one and a 2 or a one and a three they would be inclined.

Whatever the case it needs to be done by training camp. We cannot be going into the season without the entire OL in Camp. It is the most important area of the team to get into sync.

IMHO, if the front office hasn't made any progress with him before the draft, I think they will move him, because I'm not sure they feel they can risk another extended holdout.

Again, just my opinion.

I definitely agree. If we can't get an extension agreed to in the next two weeks, than we need to start shopping Peters because whoever we are going to trade him to will need time to sign him to an extension as well. Noone will want to trade for him in a matter of 5 minutes while we are on the clock because that team will also have no idea whether they will be able to sign him to a deal that will keep him from holding out.

The team can not keep him past the draft without getting an extension done now. It would be totally irresponsible of the front office to not put our team in the best position to fill Peters spot in the draft if we can not sign him longterm. We have to move on now one way or another.

As far as the Bills being a target for a trade down, I think that all depends on whether or not Sanchez gets picked before then, if he does, then I don't see Denver going after Freeman. He doesn't seem to be a fit to me in what they are trying to do. If that is the case and other NFL teams are thinking the same then all of a sudden our #11 pick becomes much less valuable.

I agree that the Bills are taking the right approach. If they can't get him re-signed and he is traded, it would seem to me that Peters wanted out all along. Draft day could also be the day Peters is dealt, depending on many variables, of course.

They should do whatever needs to be done to keep him. I understand that his play has been uneven and his recent actions (i.e., holding out last summer) beyond aggravating, but the reality is that losing him would leave a hole too big to fill. There is no assurance that if the Bills select a tackle in the first round that he would even become a starting caliber player, let alone a pro bowl type player. Do you trust the current front office's ability to make a good pick? Moreover, the Bills have a new center and need a LG. They cannot start the season with a rookie at RT (if they move Walker) or a rookie at LT and a rookie at LG or Chambers or Bell at LG. This would be a disaster, possibly the works offensive line in the NFL.

Finally, in terms of the financial impact, I assure you that if Peters is traded, the Bills will end up searching for a quality LT for the next ten years. That is about how long it was between Fina (during his prime) and Peters, and Fina was barely a quality player.

Again, just my opinion.

you may be right, but think about it like this, if we didn't trade him by draftday, don't you think that we are sending him a strong message that we aren't going to trade him or that he didn't garner enough interest from other teams? Also I believe that it could send a wakeup call to Peters and his agent that his value may not be as high as they hoped it to be.

Personally, I think the Bills should set a deadline by the June minicamps. Offer him something fair, whatever that number may be. If he doesn't accept the deal by the June minicamps, rescind the offer, but communicate to him clearly that this is an offer with a june deadline. Also, make it really clear that he will get fined for every mandatory minicamp and practice that he misses, and there will absolutely be no chance for any sort of a restitution of his fines.

At this point Parker and Peters would be foolish to not accept the contract offer. They would be losing out on at least $6 Million this year alone, not to mention what other teams perception of him would be. He would be risking another year of lack luster play, and then what would his contract value be the following year? My guess is that it would be less than this years and now there definitely would be a big question mark concerning his desire and playing ability.

They know we don't bluff and cave in because of last year, which is another thing that I think really gives us better footing for this contract deal.

I don't know. I think it depends on how the Bills FO plays this. My feelings is that they should play hardball with him.

If there is no contract completed within the next few weeks, you can chalk up another missed opportunity. Peters was fined $600K for sitting with no complaints last season, so I would plan on him to do the same this year if this is allowed to drag out.

you may be right, but think about it like this, if we didn't trade him by draftday, don't you think that we are sending him a strong message that we aren't going to trade him or that he didn't garner enough interest from other teams? Also I believe that it could send a wakeup call to Peters and his agent that his value may not be as high as they hoped it to be.

Personally, I think the Bills should set a deadline by the June minicamps. Offer him something fair, whatever that number may be. If he doesn't accept the deal by the June minicamps, rescind the offer, but communicate to him clearly that this is an offer with a june deadline. Also, make it really clear that he will get fined for every mandatory minicamp and practice that he misses, and there will absolutely be no chance for any sort of a restitution of his fines.

At this point Parker and Peters would be foolish to not accept the contract offer. They would be losing out on at least $6 Million this year alone, not to mention what other teams perception of him would be. He would be risking another year of lack luster play, and then what would his contract value be the following year? My guess is that it would be less than this years and now there definitely would be a big question mark concerning his desire and playing ability.

They know we don't bluff and cave in because of last year, which is another thing that I think really gives us better footing for this contract deal.

I don't know. I think it depends on how the Bills FO plays this. My feelings is that they should play hardball with him.

I like your thinking on this. I prefer to use the word "Firm". Offering a player a multi million dollar raise cannot be termed hardball. Hardball is telling him he has to play under the current contract.

Whatever the case what happened last year is not acceptable.

Again, just my opinion.

I completely agree...and I fully expect this to happen.

My honest opinnion is that Peters does not want to be in Buffalo and that is why he keeps playing hard ball with the FO despite the FO always taking care of him prior to last year. I think he is making these demands knowing the FO won't cave into it, especially after last years showing, as a move to get him traded. I would not be at all surprised to see him traded and then he signs for LESS than he is demanding from Buffalo.

Evidence that leads me to think this is this:

1. He showed up in terrible shape, indicating he wasnt going to be ready to play even if he got his contract last year...

2. He cut off all communication with the FO last year

3. He has played hard ball with the front office both years that isnt known to give in to such tactics. Especially after how Evans went about his contract in comparison, and he got his payday.

So, I have no doubt the office will not pay him what he wants (nor do I think they should), and I have a really hard time seeing JP lowering his unreasonable demands after such a subpar year...so I just dont see how we keep him.

Do you trust the current front office's ability to make a good pick? Moreover, the Bills have a new center and need a LG. They cannot start the season with a rookie at RT (if they move Walker) or a rookie at LT and a rookie at LG or Chambers or Bell at LG. This would be a disaster, possibly the works offensive line in the NFL.

The Bills are putting out the usual pre-draft non-sense about certain players being starter worthy. At the same time, if LT becomes another position of need, you're correct that the OL becomes filled with rookies and journeymen. This is the same thing Donahoe attempted and it backfired on him.

I do not believe the Bills front office is capable of out-maneuvering other teams on draft day. They are predictable or just downright bad and the man allegedly running the entire front office has not been in personnel very long.

I agree with your assessment here for the most part but wonder if Jason will ever be happy again and no just about the money?

I completely agree...and I fully expect this to happen.

My honest opinnion is that Peters does not want to be in Buffalo and that is why he keeps playing hard ball with the FO despite the FO always taking care of him prior to last year. I think he is making these demands knowing the FO won't cave into it, especially after last years showing, as a move to get him traded. I would not be at all surprised to see him traded and then he signs for LESS than he is demanding from Buffalo.

Evidence that leads me to think this is this:

1. He showed up in terrible shape, indicating he wasnt going to be ready to play even if he got his contract last year...

2. He cut off all communication with the FO last year

3. He has played hard ball with the front office both years that isnt known to give in to such tactics. Especially after how Evans went about his contract in comparison, and he got his payday.

So, I have no doubt the office will not pay him what he wants (nor do I think they should), and I have a really hard time seeing JP lowering his unreasonable demands after such a subpar year...so I just dont see how we keep him.

It's hilarious (to me) that so many are convinced that JP doesn't want to stay in Buffalo, when there is no evidence that it's true. No quotes, no indication whatsoever that he wants out.

What he wants is to be paid like a Pro Bowl LT, regardless of the route he took to get there.

He showed up in terrible shape? He reported in "good physical shape, but not game shape" said our Head Coach at the time.

He cut off communication as a way of saying, "hey, I've told you what I'm looking for, there's nothing to discuss unless you're willing to pay me what I'm worth."

When he played "hard ball", it wasn't clear at all what the FO would do. Lee Evans wasn't signed at the time and holding out was a choice, maybe not your choice, but a choice nonetheless. He tried and they didn't back down. So what?

Nobody knows if he will repeat last year's tactic or show up and play.

If anything, IMO, last year's outcome says loud and clear "Jason, you're under contract and we expect you to play for that contract. We're willing to discuss some changes, but at the end of the day, we own your ass for another 2 years..." Not that they will trade him, even though they might, if they get what the Bills feel is his perceived value.

Ordinarily I say you cant allow a quality LT to get away.......

But I dont know....I am starting to think that mentally he is already GONE........there is way to much ME going on here for a team concept.

If you ask me they have already decided to trade him and this is just posturing so that we dont look desparate.

Again, just my opinion.

What she said. :beer:

They should do whatever needs to be done to keep him. I understand that his play has been uneven and his recent actions (i.e., holding out last summer) beyond aggravating, but the reality is that losing him would leave a hole too big to fill. There is no assurance that if the Bills select a tackle in the first round that he would even become a starting caliber player, let alone a pro bowl type player. Do you trust the current front office's ability to make a good pick? Moreover, the Bills have a new center and need a LG. They cannot start the season with a rookie at RT (if they move Walker) or a rookie at LT and a rookie at LG or Chambers or Bell at LG. This would be a disaster, possibly the works offensive line in the NFL.

Finally, in terms of the financial impact, I assure you that if Peters is traded, the Bills will end up searching for a quality LT for the next ten years. That is about how long it was between Fina (during his prime) and Peters, and Fina was barely a quality player.

God I hated that pick. A first round pick that played like a fourth rounder. :worthy:

God I hated that pick. A first round pick that played like a fourth rounder. :beer:

Fina wasn't Howard Ballard, but he wasn't that bad. Like a lot of guys, his play declined as the talent around him declined...he was pretty decent early in his Buffalo career.

IMHO news like this is leaked to increase his trade value (we really don't want him to go but if you trade us your #1 draft pick for the next ten years we might reconsider, see the Cutler drama). It basicly puts the ball back in the JP camp, if they bring out the story that he really isnt happy with what is offered etc then it will be trade time soon enough.