PFW Bills "desperately" want to avoid trading Peters

Great post. You covered just about everything. I will take it a step farther and say that even if they trade Peters, Jauron won't draft a LT in the first round, or probably even the first day.

Well Bill, we do need to replace Greer.... :beer:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills also appear to be targeting the LG position in the draft so trading Peters leaves the left side of the line in bad shape. I still say the Bills need to get the deal with him done. The market for LT's will only increase. If the Bills had been smart last year they could have signed him for the deal they are now trying to get. I know many people are annoyed by Peters holdout and his decline in play last year but there is no doubt that he has the talent to play at an elite level.

The Bills also appear to be targeting the LG position in the draft so trading Peters leaves the left side of the line in bad shape. I still say the Bills need to get the deal with him done. The market for LT's will only increase. If the Bills had been smart last year they could have signed him for the deal they are now trying to get. I know many people are annoyed by Peters holdout and his decline in play last year but there is no doubt that he has the talent to play at an elite level.

I really hope that this is true, but I am wondering what makes you think this?

I really hope that this is true, but I am wondering what makes you think this?

Wishful thinking? The fact that WE all believe it's obvious that they need one?

If the left side of the line consists of Kirk Chambers and Demetrius Bell when training camp begins ...

:thumbsup:

I totally disagree. After the draft Peters leverage is much better because the Bills wouldn't be able to replace him unless they had drafted an OT high in the draft.

I disagree completely. Remember, Peters makes up 1 /22 of our starting players. Langston Walker showed that he could step in if need be, all be it not at the level of Peters, but none the less he could do so.

Peters has a lot more to lose than the Bills do. Peters could lose out on more than $6 Million and more likely $7 Million after all fine's are levied. That is not all he risks, he risks his career. Just imagine he has another lackluster year, which is possible, then his contract value will be diminished due to two reasons, one he is seen as a malcontent, two he hasn't played at a high level in two years. He has a lot more to risk than we do Steely.

Remember, everything is relative, for us, we risk 1/22 of our starting lineup (with Langston Walker, Demetrius Bell as possible backups), he risks his career. Big difference

All excellent points being made here and who knows how things will work out but I think what trumps everything is that this franchise/Jauron needs to win now. What good is TO if your OL is a mess? Bills coaches can talk all they want about how the OL is in decent shape, but they got rid of Dockery, Fowler, Preston, Whittle (and maybe I missed one). While I applaud the Bills for cutting these marginal guys, now you really have no depth and 2 OL positions up for grabs. Obviously Hangartner is in their plans but what if he doesn't pan out or takes some time to fit into the OL? And Bell? Even if he follows the "Peters plan" he still needs some time to develop.

If they get rid of Peters that's 3 OL positions up for grabs. I think the chances of this team contending/winning with 3 changes on the OL is pretty poor. Even if you can plug those holes, what happens if somebody gets injured? I'm nervous enough about having 2 OL changes and how long it will take the new guys to gel? The Bills need to keep Peters for stability and hopefully some good play. They forced that situation by cutting Dockery. IMO you have to pay 1 of these 2 guys so it'll be Peters.

Keep him this year, try to structure his contract with the underlying premise that he will be cut in the subsequent year(s) when the OL is more stable. You get Hangartner meshing this year, see how Chambers, Bell develop this year and give your drafted new talent time to develop. Next year also brings another crop of FA's.

I know, I know...another Peters thread. But hey, any news before draft day is appreciated in my books.

Early word out of Orchard Park is that the Bills are a prime candidate to trade down from the No. 11 spot of the first round, particularly in the event a QB-hungry team needs to jump up to grab Matt Stafford, Mark Sanchez or Josh Freeman. With pressing needs at numerous positions including tight end, defensive end and outside linebacker, and with most of the premier talents likely gone, the Bills’ most prudent move could very well be stockpiling picks. The most significant wild card in their draft plans figures to be Pro Bowl OLT Jason Peters. Ongoing extension talks are hitting a bit of a snag, but we hear that trading him is an alternative that team brass desperately wants to avoid. They’d be more inclined to part with him if they were in position to draft a stud OLT prospect such as Jason Smith or Eugene Monroe, but that appears to be a remote possibility outside the top 10.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+W...rapup040509.htm

is your picture of jauron and his daughter? that would be one hell of a smart blonde...

One of the reasons they are probably not trading Peters is because Jauron is a lot more likely to be fired if they trade him.

I think think he signs for about 6-60 sometime around the draft, or perhaps slightly after it. As long as they are close they won't trade him.

One of the reasons they are probably not trading Peters is because Jauron is a lot more likely to be fired if they trade him.

I think think he signs for about 6-60 sometime around the draft, or perhaps slightly after it. As long as they are close they won't trade him.

I don't think 6-60 will do it, from what I read he wants to be the highest paid tackle and isn't budging. At LEAST 6-70+ with ton up front is what he's looking for.

I don't think 6-60 will do it, from what I read he wants to be the highest paid tackle and isn't budging. At LEAST 6-70+ with ton up front is what he's looking for.

He may get more. He's looking to be the highest paid LT but they are still holding strong to their individual offers and the game of chicken is coming closer. There is little incentive for either party to give in right now which is why there is this alleged stalemate.

I really doubt if the Bills offer him less than the 6-60 that Gross got. But they may hold firm and say this is as far as we will go. It will be hard for him to turn down sixty million dollars, and a lot may depend on the guarantee amount as much as the final tally. IMO, he probably just wants to be able to brag he made more than Gross for bragging rights (as almost all of these guys and agents do). If he is in the top three in the league I think he agrees to it. But that is just speculation. The Bills may go as high as something like 6-66, they just don't want to.

you may be right, but think about it like this, if we didn't trade him by draftday, don't you think that we are sending him a strong message that we aren't going to trade him or that he didn't garner enough interest from other teams? Also I believe that it could send a wakeup call to Peters and his agent that his value may not be as high as they hoped it to be.

Personally, I think the Bills should set a deadline by the June minicamps. Offer him something fair, whatever that number may be. If he doesn't accept the deal by the June minicamps, rescind the offer, but communicate to him clearly that this is an offer with a june deadline. Also, make it really clear that he will get fined for every mandatory minicamp and practice that he misses, and there will absolutely be no chance for any sort of a restitution of his fines.

At this point Parker and Peters would be foolish to not accept the contract offer. They would be losing out on at least $6 Million this year alone, not to mention what other teams perception of him would be. He would be risking another year of lack luster play, and then what would his contract value be the following year? My guess is that it would be less than this years and now there definitely would be a big question mark concerning his desire and playing ability.

They know we don't bluff and cave in because of last year, which is another thing that I think really gives us better footing for this contract deal.

I don't know. I think it depends on how the Bills FO plays this. My feelings is that they should play hardball with him.

I think just grab a 1st and a 3rd for him and be done with it!

The guy has dissention written all over him starting from his college days when instead of being a 3rd or 4th rounder, as he should have been, he went all the way to being a FA. His attitude screwed him back then and will continue to do so thoughout his career. Let it be with someone else! :thumbsup:

The guy has dissention written all over him starting from his college days when instead of being a 3rd or 4th rounder, as he should have been, he went all the way to being a FA. His attitude screwed him back then and will continue to do so thoughout his career. Let it be with someone else! :thumbsup:

Grab that 1st and 3rd and give the picks to Carolina for Peppers.

To suggest the Bills front office would be tempted by a first round pick and another pick is ludicrous. If they make a trade, it will be an absolute last resort, and something that they do not want to do. It is so easy for fans to sit here and say "trade the bum" but the reality is that the Bills FO knows a lot more about football than all of us do and are not entertaining thoughts of trading away one of their most talented players at the 2nd most critical offensive position. No matter what you get for JP, you are on the extreme losing end of any trade there, and the Bills realize this. If they have to trade Peters, it is a terrible omen that this will be yet again another losing season, and it once again outsources a player of elite caliber talent that the team desperately lacks otherwise. It is an absurd suggestion IMO.

Yeah, a guy who goes from a TE to a pro-bowl LT has a bad attitude towards becoming a great player. :wallbash:

Just pay the man and be done with it. JMO

Grab that 1st and 3rd and give the picks to Carolina for Peppers.

1. Julius Peppers doesn't want to be a Bill.

2. Julius Peppers doesn't want to play DE.

3. The Bills can't afford an exorbitant salary for a player who does not have enough time left to learn to play OLB at an elite level, and shouldn't be willing to bet that he can make an instant transition to elite OLB.

4. The Bills are far more likely to find an impact player at DE than at LT with their #11 pick.

5. Bad idea.

It seems like Jason Taylor is a much more viable option at DE, especially considering the Bills' 4-3 system...plus Jason Taylor is a free agent so you don't have to give up any picks to acquire him. I can't think of a single good reason to pursue Peppers over Taylor. I think the only way you trade Jason Peters is if you acquire a solid starter at either LT or LG and a 1st round pick in return, or better.

Here's what I think the Bills should do in the ideal situation:

1. Sign Jason Peters. Give him his money and enough incentives in his contract that he will be motivated to play to his top level.

2. Sign Jason Taylor.

3. Draft an OLB in the first round, and a TE in the second round.

4. Trade a 3rd round and 6th round pick for a solid guard.

5. Win the AFC east running away.

1. Julius Peppers doesn't want to be a Bill.

2. Julius Peppers doesn't want to play DE.

3. The Bills can't afford an exorbitant salary for a player who does not have enough time left to learn to play OLB at an elite level, and shouldn't be willing to bet that he can make an instant transition to elite OLB.

4. The Bills are far more likely to find an impact player at DE than at LT with their #11 pick.

5. Bad idea.

CAR is stuck big time with Peppers. Huge cap hit if they move him on. That's what results from the negotiated union contract.

I also happen to think that his play has declined, and that he's looking for some sap outfit to give him more millions of dollars...