Dick Jauron is a better coach than...

FluffHead

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Norv Turner is closest to Jauron in coaching ability

You mean dis-ability? Both are near worthless but I give turner a big edge.

Jauron is so bad that when I think of the Bills, I think of the HC and must immediately flush my mind of the Bills or I will get sick to my stomach.

Before everybody goes on bashing the head coach, let's take something into consideration from this past season: injuries. When Roscoe Parrish and Josh Ree went down, the offense was affected. Buffalo has a more then capable defense, if the starters are healthy, and Aaron Schobel wasn't. Buffalo is not far off from being a legitimate contender. A few starter positions need to be upgraded as well as a fewback-up positions. I'm thinking center, tight end, defensive end, and a free safety who can stay healthy. I was so upbeat at the beginning of least season until the injury bug hit. I knew then we were doomed. So let's get a couple more good players and throw injury bug out the door and then we can judge coach Jauron on whether or not he i s a good caoch. :rolleyes:

Before everybody goes on bashing the head coach, let's take something into consideration from this past season: injuries. When Roscoe Parrish and Josh Ree went down, the offense was affected. Buffalo has a more then capable defense, if the starters are healthy, and Aaron Schobel wasn't. Buffalo is not far off from being a legitimate contender. A few starter positions need to be upgraded as well as a fewback-up positions. I'm thinking center, tight end, defensive end, and a free safety who can stay healthy. I was so upbeat at the beginning of least season until the injury bug hit. I knew then we were doomed. So let's get a couple more good players and throw injury bug out the door and then we can judge coach Jauron on whether or not he i s a good caoch. :rolleyes:

When you observe that a fellow worker, player, or coach can't think on his feet after 7 years on the job, you don't need another year to draw a conclusion.

I don't care what Jauron did in Chicago. I'm not a bears fan and didn't watch that situation closely enough to have a real strong opinion either way. His tenure with Buffalo has been dissapointing thus far and I'm not arguing that. You are entitled to your opinion. I'm not sold on Jauron either but I don't mind seeing him have one more season. Continuity is something we haven't had in awhile and at this point why not show a little patience.

Continuity is worthless when you're continuing with pure crap. Jauron has had 1 winning season in 8 years as a coach and you still need more time? The light is not all of a sudden going to go on for him.

Norv got to the playoffs with a washed up guy who was supposed to carry the offense and without his best defensive player- erase his time with those two failed franchises as head coach and what do you think then- 4-8 to the AFC title game. I wouldn't want him, but he takes too much abuse

Before everybody goes on bashing the head coach, let's take something into consideration from this past season: injuries. When Roscoe Parrish and Josh Ree went down, the offense was affected. Buffalo has a more then capable defense, if the starters are healthy, and Aaron Schobel wasn't. Buffalo is not far off from being a legitimate contender. A few starter positions need to be upgraded as well as a fewback-up positions. I'm thinking center, tight end, defensive end, and a free safety who can stay healthy. I was so upbeat at the beginning of least season until the injury bug hit. I knew then we were doomed. So let's get a couple more good players and throw injury bug out the door and then we can judge coach Jauron on whether or not he i s a good caoch. :thumbsup:

I agree. I have doubts but I am rooting for the guy.

Everybody loves to pile on when a guy is down. At the same time if the tide turns all the bashers, gush with love for the person. I think Jauron is somewhere in the middle. It's trully impossible to get an exact grade, seeing as all situations are different. He's not as good as most of the crowd thought in 2007, and he's not as bad as most of the crowd thinks now.

Dick Jauron = 1 winning season, 7 losing seasons

Easiest person to blame???? :thumbsup:

Holy sh_t, I can't believe that there are still fans here at TSW supporting this loser and holding on to the ridiculous notion that Dick Jauron is the only good NFL head coach in history who somehow someway consistently finds himself in the most unfortunate of circumstances. Three words...GIVE...IT...UP!

Winning is hard.

Jauron is a decent DC but his lack of knowledge on offense makes him depend on a good OC.

What I don't know, is whether or not, he "handicaps" his OC by his very vanilla philosophy.

If he was a totally hands off type of HC, then it would seem that quality OCs would be attracted to

work with him. My gut feeling, however, is that any would be OC comes in knowing that vanilla

must be the main flavor of the offense. I think his lack of offensive knowledge also shows up in his

sub-par clock management.

Your welcome to butt in and give your opinion. I should have said continuation but I didn't want to set off the masses. It was fairly universal around here, that the JP situation was handled poorly and that he had too many coachs and systems. I know JP sucks and I'm not a JP fanboy. With that beins said, I think theirs alot to learn from the way his career was handled. A young team might benefit from another year in the system. Also, their is no way too tell if the players are speaking highly of their coach because he's easy on them. That speculation is alive and well on TSW but I've yet to see anything to make me believe it's true. I've had bosses like you have described as well and can see your point. On the otherhand I've had bosses who I genuinely liked and believed in. I would have rallied around them if I felt they were in trouble.

Your last point deals with motivation and is a good one. I would like to see more motivation on this team. And that springs from the HC as well.

For those of you that may not be familiar with his term in Chicago, Dick Jauron really DID perform better than his record would suggest. He really came into a bad situation in Chicago, cleaning up the mess that Dave Wannstadt (who had been given too much power in personnel decisions) had left behind. By 2001, the Bears finished 13-3 and Jauron was named Coach of the Year. They came crashing back down to earth in 2002 for a variety of reasons, partly because they had seriously over achieved the year before. Remember, the Bears essentially played every game in 2002 on the road as their "home" games were relocated to Indiana. Many observers actually thought he had his BEST coaching performance the following season (2003), when the team dealt with a ridiculous number of injuries en route to a better-than-expected 7-9 finish. He was fired largely because Angelo wanted HIS guy in place.

As for his time in Buffalo, I thought Jauron's first two seasons were very similar to that final season with the Bears. That is, I felt that he did a pretty good job with damage control and having the team well-prepared most weeks. That a JP Losman-led team could be challenging for a Playoff spot as late as Week 16 in 2006 tells you something. Erratic QB play was certainly a challenge the past two seasons.

Despite how this may come across to some haters, I am NOT a Jauron apologist. He certainly made some bad decisions in various games last season -- and bears a fair amount of blame for the collapse that occurred after the 5-1 start. He has also shown a propensity to stick with weak OCs, which has resulted in a history of poor offensive play. Still, I would have to say that in his 3 seasons with the Bills, Jauron has done a decent enough job in 2+ of those years -- and gets a failing grade in his third.

Should the 2008 collapse have cost him his job? There are certainly a number of people with respectable opinions that believe that it should have. Considering the youth of the team, that it was Turk's first year as an OC and essentially Trent's first full year as a starter, I am willing to side with Ralph and give Jauron another year.

For those of you that may not be familiar with his term in Chicago, Dick Jauron really DID perform better than his record would suggest. He really came into a bad situation in Chicago, cleaning up the mess that Dave Wannstadt (who had been given too much power in personnel decisions) had left behind. By 2001, the Bears finished 13-3 and Jauron was named Coach of the Year. They came crashing back down to earth in 2002 for a variety of reasons, partly because they had seriously over achieved the year before. Remember, the Bears essentially played every game in 2002 on the road as their "home" games were relocated to Indiana. Many observers actually thought he had his BEST coaching performance the following season (2003), when the team dealt with a ridiculous number of injuries en route to a better-than-expected 7-9 finish. He was fired largely because Angelo wanted HIS guy in place.

As for his time in Buffalo, I thought Jauron's first two seasons were very similar to that final season with the Bears. That is, I felt that he did a pretty good job with damage control and having the team well-prepared most weeks. That a JP Losman-led team could be challenging for a Playoff spot as late as Week 16 in 2006 tells you something. Erratic QB play was certainly a challenge the past two seasons.

Despite how this may come across to some haters, I am NOT a Jauron apologist. He certainly made some bad decisions in various games last season -- and bears a fair amount of blame for the collapse that occurred after the 5-1 start. He has also shown a propensity to stick with weak OCs, which has resulted in a history of poor offensive play. Still, I would have to say that in his 3 seasons with the Bills, Jauron has done a decent enough job in 2+ of those years -- and gets a failing grade in his third.

Should the 2008 collapse have cost him his job? There are certainly a number of people with respectable opinions that believe that it should have. Considering the youth of the team, that it was Turk's first year as an OC and essentially Trent's first full year as a starter, I am willing to side with Ralph and give Jauron another year.

A really, really nice assessment. Dick works hard in practice, he works hard all week. He really does. It...it's hard, hard to win in the NFL.

I like the man but, as you say, he is sticking with a weak OC. I would be more inclined to support him if he'd bring in an OC like, say...

Mike Leach

No. And there aren't many past coaches he'd rank ahead of either.

Even Norv is head and shoulders about him, as is Lewis. Don't know enough about Cable to judge, but at least there could be some upside there.

I agree with every word of this. The only coaches I have ever seen that I would prefer Jauron to would be Rich Kotite and Herm Edwards.