Dick Jauron is a better coach than...

FluffHead

Before everybody goes on bashing the head coach, let's take something into consideration from this past season: injuries. When Roscoe Parrish and Josh Ree went down, the offense was affected. Buffalo has a more then capable defense, if the starters are healthy, and Aaron Schobel wasn't. Buffalo is not far off from being a legitimate contender. A few starter positions need to be upgraded as well as a fewback-up positions. I'm thinking center, tight end, defensive end, and a free safety who can stay healthy. I was so upbeat at the beginning of least season until the injury bug hit. I knew then we were doomed. So let's get a couple more good players and throw injury bug out the door and then we can judge coach Jauron on whether or not he i s a good caoch. :blink:

As has been pointed out overandoverandover again, every team plays with injuries during the season. It's simply part of the game and every HC has got to be prepared for WHEN they happen, not IF. If you can't do that as a HC, you have no business being in that position. That's your job and your responsibility. Period. Otherwise, be an Assistant or Coordinator where the buck doesn't stop at your desk.

That being said, and to his credit, I don't recall Jauron excusing his 3rd consecutive 7-9 Bills season, complete with a 2-8 free fall, on injuries. And it's a foregone conclusion that 7 out of 8 years with a losing record is due to some factor other than injuries as well.

Perhaps 8 seasons is just not quite enough time to judge Jauron's coaching ability, but 9 seasons would be right on the money.

One thing's for sure.................

We're all gonna find out.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The players like Jauron... on every team he's ever coached. That has to count for something, doesn't it?

Sure, a coach that doesn't make a lot of demands, admits that its hard to win in the NFL, and constantly praises his players whether they deserve it or not -- what's not to like from the player's perspective?

Seriously, it would seem that there must be SOMETHING to the fact that the players love this guy. However, if they really want to show their devotion to him, then some players need to STEP UP and LEAD this team to a Super Bowl or at least make the playoffs.

Although Jauron hasn't shown me he can't field a winning Buffalo Bills team as of yet and only had one winning season in his head coaching career,and he didn't win a playoff game that one lone winning season.

There are so many new unproven head coaches this year and some new coaches from last year that showed more promise then Jauron has done so far. Stating that, until he has an actual winning season with the Buffalo Bills he will remain the worst head coach in the NFL, in my opinion.

It is hard to say, given the varying degrees of latitude that different coaches have and the amount of talent on each team.

However, I would rather have Jauron than any of the following: Marvin Lewis, Jim Zorn, Mora, and Del Rio.

There are certainly about a half dozen other coaches (BB, Reid, Whisenhunt, Tomlin, Fisher, Coughlin, Fox) that I would prefer to have.

Personally, I believe that the verdict is still out on all of the rest, including the rookie coaches that just led their teams to the playoffs. (Remember, the Bills finished 9-7 under Mularky in his first year after an 0-4 start. I don't think too many Bills fans were sad to see him go after 2005.) I see Jauron in pretty much the same realm as the rest (Wade, Norv, etc.).

All in all, I guess what I am getting at is that, while certainly not in the company of elite coaches, Jauron is not as absolutely dreadful as some make him out to be. He is the definition of middle of the road. Look at it this way: Jauron managed to beat 7 different head coaches this year (5 of whom were later fired/retired), while losing to 6.

Yeah, take out the crazed emotions spewing all over these boards and this sounds about right.

I think Norv Turner is closest to Jauron in coaching ability

I read an interesting article in Pro Football Prospectus 2007 that had Norv Turner as being one of the worst coaches in NFL history with any type of lead in the 4th quarter and when leading by 14+ points at any point during a game. They actually broke down statistically the averages, the expected records, etc of all coaches and Turner was in some pretty bad company...

I'll go look for it when I get home and post some info

Jauron has been HC for all or part of 9 of the past 10 seasons. What other HC has that type of longevity with that record?

Look at the guys who got canned this year---especially Shanahan.

Ralphie locked him up cheap early in the season and Brandon was too ashamed to tell the public until he had to. Even a famous cheapskate like Pat Bowlen seemed content to pay $15 million to make Shanahan go away.

Clearly, performance expectations are different (nonexistent) in Buffalo, compared to Denver, Tampa BAy and New York.

As has been pointed out overandoverandover again, every team plays with injuries during the season. It's simply part of the game and every HC has got to be prepared for WHEN they happen, not IF. If you can't do that as a HC, you have no business being in that position. That's your job and your responsibility. Period. Otherwise, be an Assistant or Coordinator where the buck doesn't stop at your desk.

That being said, and to his credit, I don't recall Jauron excusing his 3rd consecutive 7-9 Bills season, complete with a 2-8 free fall, on injuries. And it's a foregone conclusion that 7 out of 8 years with a losing record is due to some factor other than injuries as well.

Perhaps 8 seasons is just not quite enough time to judge Jauron's coaching ability, but 9 seasons would be right on the money.

One thing's for sure.................

We're all gonna find out.

First off, the thing about every coach deals with injuries is a completely biased statement to make a point about not liking DJ. A coach can only do so much with the talent he has...for instance, if we formed a football team out of the posters on this board, we would go winless playing against High School teams even if Vince Lombardi himself was coaching us. When a coach loses critical starters and there are not competent reserves behind them, its going to be a tough up hill battle. No team in the league was as devastated by injuries as the Bills in 07 and we still won 7 games and were in the playoff hunt, not to mention we had an INEPT rookie QB who had more games with ZERO TD passes than games with TD passes...add in JP's struggles, and we have NO PRODUCTION from the QB spot, and a defense decimated by injuries that wasnt all that talented to begin with.

Then in 08, we go out and shore up our D, just to see our best LB go down with injury before the season, lose our ONLY threat of a pass rush for most of the season with Schobel hurt, lose 2 productive corners, lose LB's despite already being thin, lose OL on an OL where we have terrible backups, lose our starting QB (who was struggling as it was) with JP stinking it up in his replacement, lose Reed which really derailed the offense...

So, to dismiss the significane of the inuries is just a biased way to make a case against DJ...Truth is, in DJ's stay in Buffalo, the QB position has been incredibly inconsistent and mostly unproductive and turn over prone, yes even your beloved Trent...yet we still managed 7 win seasons both years.

Honestly, (and I dont mean this in an insulting way) you posters who want to blow off the injury situation, rookie QB, and struggling QB play this year have probably never played football at a competitive level. Otherwise, you would not undermind the tremendous impact this has had on our team the last 2 years...

Before everybody goes on bashing the head coach, let's take something into consideration from this past season: injuries. When Roscoe Parrish and Josh Ree went down, the offense was affected. Buffalo has a more then capable defense, if the starters are healthy, and Aaron Schobel wasn't. Buffalo is not far off from being a legitimate contender. A few starter positions need to be upgraded as well as a fewback-up positions. I'm thinking center, tight end, defensive end, and a free safety who can stay healthy. I was so upbeat at the beginning of least season until the injury bug hit. I knew then we were doomed. So let's get a couple more good players and throw injury bug out the door and then we can judge coach Jauron on whether or not he i s a good caoch. :)

Yeah, I hear ya, all other 31 NFL teams experience injury, and although we were decimated with them in 2007, the

situation last year regarding injuries was not nearly as bad, and in 2006, I think that they were pretty healthy with

a few notable exceptions, maybe not talented, but fairly healthy. Injuries do not account for his miserable game day decisions, and his team's collective lack of preparedness, so I think that if they stay healthy next year, and Jauron get's his head out of his ass, and in to the game, we might have a chance of going, oh say, 7-9, and then we can go out and get

a real coach in here. I hope that I am wrong, but I think Dickie just has too much to correct with his own problems, let

alone trying to turn this thing around, I think that his ultra-conservatism will be his eventually downfall, the leopard doesn't

change his spots, and Dickie won't either. He shows signs of shading that image once in a while, but then something happens, and he is right back into his conservative cocoon.

Just an FYI: Here is the combined QB production in 2007, and 2008 for Buffalo QB's Trent and JP

2007:

Yards: 2834 = 177 yards per game

TD's: 11

INT's 14

TD:INT ratio: .79:1

Sacks: 26

2008:

Yards: 3283 = 205 yards per game

TD's: 13

INT's: 15

TD:INT ratio: .87:1

Sacks: 38

Summary, in 32 games our QB's have passed for only 24 TD's total (unbelievably pathetic), 29 INT's (awful), have a TD:INT ratio less than 1:1 at .83:1, average ONLY 191.16 yards per game (incredibly pathetic) and have been sacked 64 times (or twice a game, not terrible, but not very good).

Also, during that span, Trent has 5 LOST fumbles and JP has 6 LOST fumbles for another 11 turnovers...so TD to turnover ratio plummets to .60:1 when you factor that in...(horrendous)!

But you are all right, DJ is out biggest problem...or DE is why we are not in the playoffs...LMAO! You can't be serious...

I mean seriously, name one coach in this league that can win with that? In all honesty, with that kind of production from our QB spot the last 2 years (and that is not even mentioning the injuries to key players like Schobel, Crowell, Poz, Reed, etc during the same span) it is a MIRACLE we even won 7 games either season...

But go ahead, put your blinders on and keep putting it all on DJ even though our QB's played at the combined level of a 3 win team...

Just an FYI: Here is the combined QB production in 2007, and 2008 for Buffalo QB's Trent and JP

2007:

Yards: 2834 = 177 yards per game

TD's: 11

INT's 14

TD:INT ratio: .79:1

Sacks: 26

2008:

Yards: 3283 = 205 yards per game

TD's: 13

INT's: 15

TD:INT ratio: .87:1

Sacks: 38

Summary, in 32 games our QB's have passed for only 24 TD's total (unbelievably pathetic), 29 INT's (awful), have a TD:INT ratio less than 1:1 at .83:1, average ONLY 191.16 yards per game (incredibly pathetic) and have been sacked 64 times (or twice a game, not terrible, but not very good).

Also, during that span, Trent has 5 LOST fumbles and JP has 6 LOST fumbles for another 11 turnovers...so TD to turnover ratio plummets to .60:1 when you factor that in...(horrendous)!

But you are all right, DJ is out biggest problem...or DE is why we are not in the playoffs...LMAO! You can't be serious...

I mean seriously, name one coach in this league that can win with that? In all honesty, with that kind of production from our QB spot the last 2 years (and that is not even mentioning the injuries to key players like Schobel, Crowell, Poz, Reed, etc during the same span) it is a MIRACLE we even won 7 games either season...

But go ahead, put your blinders on and keep putting it all on DJ even though our QB's played at the combined level of a 3 win team...

`

Jauron puts his stamp of approval on the offensive design and game plan. A game plan that was usually very predictable and too easy to defend. An offense that tipped its hand run/pass the vast majority of the time. An offense that used less of the field in the passing game. An offense that allowed the other team too often to jam the line of scrimmage and stifle the running game. When you make it that easy for the opposing defense, they get more sacks, picks and fumbles. They also stop you from scoring. The stats tell the story. Certainly the players have a large role in the teams performance. Certainly this whole thread is all opinion. Three questions I ask.

1. Do we feel the schemes Jauron deploys puts pressure on the other team and makes it difficult for them to prepare to play the Bills?

2. Do we feel Jauron gets the most from his player talent?

3. Do we have any reason to think that Jauron with better talent can ever lead an NFL team to a playoff win?

For me the answer is easily "no" to all three.

`

Jauron puts his stamp of approval on the offensive design and game plan. A game plan that was usually very predictable and too easy to defend. An offense that tipped its hand run/pass the vast majority of the time. An offense that used less of the field in the passing game. An offense that allowed the other team too often to jam the line of scrimmage and stifle the running game. When you make it that easy for the opposing defense, they get more sacks, picks and fumbles. They also stop you from scoring. The stats tell the story. Certainly the players have a large role in the teams performance. Certainly this whole thread is all opinion. Three questions I ask.

1. Do we feel the schemes Jauron deploys puts pressure on the other team and makes it difficult for them to prepare to play the Bills?

2. Do we feel Jauron gets the most from his player talent?

3. Do we have any reason to think that Jauron with better talent can ever lead an NFL team to a playoff win?

For me the answer is easily "no" to all three.

Fair Questions...here is my response:

1. Do you think Jauron is forced to scheme to the limitations of his QB's?

2. Do you think the QB has shown Jauron and his staff enough to trust him to take chances?

3. The answer to #3 is yes...with atrocious QB play, and it has been atrocious, just scroll up and see the stats...24 TD's and 40 turnovers from QB's alone in last 2 seasons...and ALL the critical injuries, he still managed to pull out 2 7 win seasons and was in playoff hunt deep into both seasons. With better QB play we win FIVE more games this year (Cle, SF, Jets, Mia, and NE) and that puts us in first place and in the playoffs. We were only blown out of one game and our inept passing attack blew 5 VERY winnable games for us...

Fair Questions...here is my response:

1. Do you think Jauron is forced to scheme to the limitations of his QB's?

2. Do you think the QB has shown Jauron and his staff enough to trust him to take chances?

3. The answer to #3 is yes...with atrocious QB play, and it has been atrocious, just scroll up and see the stats...24 TD's and 40 turnovers from QB's alone in last 2 seasons...and ALL the critical injuries, he still managed to pull out 2 7 win seasons and was in playoff hunt deep into both seasons. With better QB play we win FIVE more games this year (Cle, SF, Jets, Mia, and NE) and that puts us in first place and in the playoffs. We were only blown out of one game and our inept passing attack blew 5 VERY winnable games for us...

In the age of parity, if you are going to give credit to teams that are in the playoff hunt late in the season, you're going to have a very long list. :w00t:

In the age of parity, if you are going to give credit to teams that are in the playoff hunt late in the season, you're going to have a very long list. :w00t:

Agree. Mathematically alive keeps several teams in the hunt who really aren't. 11 wins was the bar for AFC playoffs the past 2 years. Bills were never close.