Dick Jauron is a better coach than...

FluffHead

With the Chiefs hiring Todd Haley today, another young, fiery, inspirational, emotional coach, it just got me thinking, is Dick Jauron better than ANY current coach in the NFL? I'm sure he is, but he's not better than many. Who are the coaches that you are glad we don't have? For me, the only current coaches I can think of that I like Jauron better than are:

Tom Cable, OAK - the Raiders are a mess, so he may actually be an ok coach. But I can't see him turning them around.

Norv Turner, SD - This is a bit of a wash. Dick and Norv seem to be the same person. Except Norv has much more talent to work with.

Marvin Lewis, CIN - This team is consistently a mess. How does he still have a job?

Honestly those are the only three coaches I think are worse than Dick. Honorable mention to Wade Phillips (locker room chemistry and ownership are more the problem than his coaching), Jim Zorn (still young could turn it around), Jim Mora Jr. and Eric Mangini.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the Chiefs hiring Todd Haley today, another young, fiery, inspirational, emotional coach, it just got me thinking, is Dick Jauron better than ANY current coach in the NFL? I'm sure he is, but he's not better than many. Who are the coaches that you are glad we don't have? For me, the only current coaches I can think of that I like Jauron better than are:

Tom Cable, OAK - the Raiders are a mess, so he may actually be an ok coach. But I can't see him turning them around.

Norv Turner, SD - This is a bit of a wash. Dick and Norv seem to be the same person. Except Norv has much more talent to work with.

Marvin Lewis, CIN - This team is consistently a mess. How does he still have a job?

Honestly those are the only three coaches I think are worse than Dick. Honorable mention to Wade Phillips (locker room chemistry and ownership are more the problem than his coaching), Jim Zorn (still young could turn it around), Jim Mora Jr. and Eric Mangini.

Honestly, Cable is the only one that I would agree with. I would trade Disappointed Dick for Norv or Marvin.

I think Norv Turner is closest to Jauron in coaching ability

At this point I'd rather have any other living, breathing NFL head coach. But I think Madden NFL 2009 is a better coach than Juron so I'm kind of sour on our current HQ......

It is hard to say, given the varying degrees of latitude that different coaches have and the amount of talent on each team.

However, I would rather have Jauron than any of the following: Marvin Lewis, Jim Zorn, Mora, and Del Rio.

There are certainly about a half dozen other coaches (BB, Reid, Whisenhunt, Tomlin, Fisher, Coughlin, Fox) that I would prefer to have.

Personally, I believe that the verdict is still out on all of the rest, including the rookie coaches that just led their teams to the playoffs. (Remember, the Bills finished 9-7 under Mularky in his first year after an 0-4 start. I don't think too many Bills fans were sad to see him go after 2005.) I see Jauron in pretty much the same realm as the rest (Wade, Norv, etc.).

All in all, I guess what I am getting at is that, while certainly not in the company of elite coaches, Jauron is not as absolutely dreadful as some make him out to be. He is the definition of middle of the road. Look at it this way: Jauron managed to beat 7 different head coaches this year (5 of whom were later fired/retired), while losing to 6.

is Dick Jauron better than ANY current coach in the NFL?

No. And there aren't many past coaches he'd rank ahead of either.

Even Norv is head and shoulders about him, as is Lewis. Don't know enough about Cable to judge, but at least there could be some upside there.

Both Wade and Eric's teams collapsed badly, costing both playoff appearances. Wade is still at Dallas (snd lucky to have his job considering who his boss is), but he's hanging by the thinnest of threads. Mangini got bounced out of NY, and was lucky he landed in Cleveland instead of Detroit. In terms of collapses, Wade is right behind DJ and could be closing fast next year. Wade looks just as clueless now as he did back in Buffalo. Just .......lost.

I bet Zorn becomes a pretty good coach. Just a hunch.

Norv......What can you say except, "The Curse of Norv". It follows him like a shadow.