What do you shave with?

Kingfish

I tried to make the switch recently, but just can't get a decent shave. I spent $40 on a Braun electric razor and didn't expect miracles, but I certainly expected more than leaving patches all over my face. I'd like to know how much a guy has to spend to get a decent electric razor. Probably more than I'm willing to shell out.

I tried to make the switch recently, but just can't get a decent shave. I spent $40 on a Braun electric razor and didn't expect miracles, but I certainly expected more than leaving patches all over my face. I'd like to know how much a guy has to spend to get a decent electric razor. Probably more than I'm willing to shell out.

I got a Remington foil shaver as a gift and tried to shave with it a few times. I didn't work at all. I'll stick with the Mach 3.

$200. That's how much my Braun shaver costs. Gives a good shave, actually. I've had it for eight years, and I'm only starting to think about a new one because the battery's starting to not hold a charge.

Every sub-$100 shaver I've ever used is like shaving with broken glass.

I have been growing my beard for about a month... I am gonna need one hell of a spoiler to get through it. Most of the time I use one of the multiple blades razor when I shave regularly... But when it is time to take the beard off I use the old classic:

Classic

You look better than Andy Reid?

I have never found a great electric razor but I have sparse facial hair and I have problems using a blade razor as well since my skin is so thin so I am not typical.

The few times I have gotten a "barber" shave it worked really well and I wish those type of shaves never went out of style.

I have been growing my beard for about a month... I am gonna need one hell of a spoiler to get through it. Most of the time I use one of the multiple blades razor when I shave regularly... But when it is time to take the beard off I use the old classic:

Classic

no THIS is classic!

EDIT- not sure why that link won't work- here it is- http://www.theonion.com/content/node/33930

I have blond hair with a bit of gray mixed in.

My beard is so light that I can get away with an electric razor. I use a Norelco (can't remember the model name) and I think it's fine. I probably wouldn't if my facial hair was darker, though.

I had an apartment mate in college whose dark facial hair grew so fast he had to shave twice a day. He finally said screw it and grew a beard.

Electric razors are fine as long as you shave at least once a day. They don't get as close as a blade but unless you're very particular about 5:00 shadow I think they're a better option. I can get my AM shave in under a minute with an electric and I never get cut when I'm in a hurry.

Free advice if you're making the switch:

-Give it a week or two of use before you decide whether you like it.

-Make sure your face is completely dry

-If you go more than a couple days w/o a shave (i.e. my avatar:) don't waste time trying the electric.

I never thought I'd make the switch because my beard is too thick and quick, but now that I have I'll never make the switch back.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought the Merkur Safety Razor, a shaving brush, good shaving cream, and a lathering bowl and I am very pleased with it! You can't beat 50 cents a double razor either! My only complaint is I bought the classic- which has a very short handle. The razor is top notch though

I got a Remington foil shaver as a gift and tried to shave with it a few times. I didn't work at all. I'll stick with the Mach 3.

My ex worked for Remmington and brought home a bunch of different models, including the high end ones. I never liked them -- never got a good shave and it chewed up my neck.

I'll stick with the blade; Mach3 is pretty good.