The playoffs once again confirms...

zow2

Turnovers and 3rd down conversions. Year in and year out it's the same formula. If your team is in the top 10 of both categories, they will be a playoff team. I don't care what the offensive and defensive yardage stats are, a team needs to be good at those two things.,

Turnovers and 3rd down conversions. Year in and year out it's the same formula. If your team is in the top 10 of both categories, they will be a playoff team. I don't care what the offensive and defensive yardage stats are, a team needs to be good at those two things.,

Those are clearly the main reasons that all the teams who won this weekend did so, but I still think you need to play good to excellent defense and run the ball. Turnovers usually happen because of good defenses, IMO.

Pittsburgh has an O-line that is near bottom of the league and yet they still are in the AFC title game. I realize they have a top D though.

It's apparent that there is no "best way" to build a contender. Just look at this year teams. Some have great O and an average D. Some rely on the running game. Others rely on the passing game. Some rely on Defense and turnovers. A couple teams are just a hodge-podge of O and D but not special on either side.

It's clear that you can probably be in the mix quicker by building a solid defense and special teams (which is how Buffalo should build),,,,rather than trying to be a great offense (which is harder to do imo).

top D

running game

protecting the ball (i.e. not turning it over, whether it be on downs or by fumble/interception)

its a fairly simple game that has gotten over-complex in itself. you can still win by following the basics, but you really need to set it as your identity and get everyone believing.

i love the type of ball that Pittsburgh (and even Baltimore) plays. i wish the Bills would adopt that identity. or ANY identity for that matter.

i love the type of ball that Pittsburgh (and even Baltimore) plays. i wish the Bills would adopt that identity. or ANY identity for that matter.

You know what I noticed yesterday? The Steelers did a lot of Fairchild-esque "run, run, pass" putting them in many 3rd and long situations-- yet Big Ben consistently converted. It goes to show you that if you have good players who can execute, then it can overcome suspect playcalling sequences.

You know what I noticed yesterday? The Steelers did a lot of Fairchild-esque "run, run, pass" putting them in many 3rd and long situations-- yet Big Ben consistently converted. It goes to show you that if you have good players who can execute, then it can overcome suspect playcalling sequences.

As a Bills fan down here in Steeler country its obvious the Bills are no where in the steelers league. The Steelers defense is truly awesome. Casey Hampton is very underratd noseguard. They have never over spent on linebackers, see James Farrior, they also get blue chippers in the 2-3 rounds. Hell Harrison wasnt even drafted. A great safey like Polamalu is a tremendous assest, like the Ravens having Ed Reed and the Pats with Rodney Harrison. How many plays does Donte Whitner make? Sorry I cant remember any. I would take any of the Steelers skill position players on offense over the Bills. Holmes and Hines Ward blow away Evans and Reed. Roethlisbuger is a gem, Heath Miller is a quality TE and Willie Parker give you the homerun. The difference in the Bills and Steelers is ownership and the front office. Its the reason Cowher went to Rooney and told him its either me or Donahoe, the Steelers kept Cowher and we got Donahoe and JP Friggin Losman. Its reason we keep and overpay for the like of Kelsay, Denney, Parish, Walker, Dockery and let Pat Williams, Clemens and Winfield go. Anybody who thinks this franchise is a year or two away is nuts.

Sign Haynesworth, moved down in the first to take Jerry (Ole Miss), move up in the 2nd to take Mack....now there is a start. Put Jerry at LE opposite Schobel and in the mix with Spencer Johnson at backup DT.

If our scouts are especially good, we can find a starting guard/OT and another DE.

Forget the WR's and LB's.....you can get the toys after you build the foundation up front

As a Bills fan down here in Steeler country its obvious the Bills are no where in the steelers league. The Steelers defense is truly awesome. Casey Hampton is very underratd noseguard. They have never over spent on linebackers, see James Farrior, they also get blue chippers in the 2-3 rounds. Hell Harrison wasnt even drafted. A great safey like Polamalu is a tremendous assest, like the Ravens having Ed Reed and the Pats with Rodney Harrison. How many plays does Donte Whitner make? Sorry I cant remember any. I would take any of the Steelers skill position players on offense over the Bills. Holmes and Hines Ward blow away Evans and Reed. Roethlisbuger is a gem, Heath Miller is a quality TE and Willie Parker give you the homerun. The difference in the Bills and Steelers is ownership and the front office. Its the reason Cowher went to Rooney and told him its either me or Donahoe, the Steelers kept Cowher and we got Donahoe and JP Friggin Losman. Its reason we keep and overpay for the like of Kelsay, Denney, Parish, Walker, Dockery and let Pat Williams, Clemens and Winfield go. Anybody who thinks this franchise is a year or two away is nuts.

If the Bills hit a homerun in this draft like bleacherroom report is saying here, free up some money letting go of deadweight on the roster and bring in some free agents(Bertrand Berry, a DT, LB) they will make the playoffs despite having Dick Jauron as coach.

Are those skills you can actaully have by themselves? Generally, if an offense is good it's going to convert on 3rd down. So these things cause or effect?

yeah true---but good teams are often in short yardage 3rd down situations....and they hit harder and smarter--causing more turnovers--as well as having playmakers who get things like interceptions when other Ds get the knockdowns.

Well prepared,tougher,more talented teams usually win the turnover battles.

Pittsburgh has an O-line that is near bottom of the league and yet they still are in the AFC title game. I realize they have a top D though.

It's apparent that there is no "best way" to build a contender. Just look at this year teams. Some have great O and an average D. Some rely on the running game. Others rely on the passing game. Some rely on Defense and turnovers. A couple teams are just a hodge-podge of O and D but not special on either side.

It's clear that you can probably be in the mix quicker by building a solid defense and special teams (which is how Buffalo should build),,,,rather than trying to be a great offense (which is harder to do imo).

You realize 3 of the 4 teams left have the top 3 statistically ranked defenses?

Pitt #1 d. Baltimore #2 and Philly # 3. There's nothing average about the defenses of these teams. It stands to reason the best way to build a winning team is to build your defense and get by with an average offense predicated on a strong running game, and game management.

Jauron likes to use 3rd down to set up the kicking game. Usually to punt but sometimes for a field goal. 4th down can sometimes be used to get a first down, but only if it's really close. It's better to play it safe on 3rd down because you're usually kicking after 3rd down.