The playoffs once again confirms...

zow2

Both of those come back to good defenses. If you have a good D, you force a lot of third and longs and can hold. You also force a lot of turnovers. Having a top D will do that for you. Pitt, Balt, Tenn, G Men I think were all top 5 D. Eagles got in playing good D at the end of the year and into the playoffs. The Cards are the only team without a top D.

Then again, the best defense is a good offense, and most those teams can run the ball also.

It's apparent that there is no "best way" to build a contender.

Yah this is why I don't like these threads. Just get good players. We don't have enough on either side of the ball. And turnovers also involve a good deal of luck even if nobody wants to say it.

You realize 3 of the 4 teams left have the top 3 statistically ranked defenses?

Pitt #1 d. Baltimore #2 and Philly # 3. There's nothing average about the defenses of these teams. It stands to reason the best way to build a winning team is to build your defense and get by with an average offense predicated on a strong running game, and game management.

And after this weekend, there will be nothing left but teams with defenses ranked in the top 3.

I agree wholeheartedly, if you want a better than average ability to make the playoffs (and win once in them), you need a superior defense. One with at least a couple top notch playmakers who can lead. One that has attitude, that punishes opposing teams. Something severely lacking w the Bills. We came closest of late w the Wade Philips - Ted Cottrell teams. long gone...