BEST Buffalo PIZZA

Bocce was king then it branched off to leonardis...thats the old days though...70s

Yes, that is correct. Both Leonardi's and Milano's made Bocce style pizza. I knew Leonardi's rang a bell. Good stuff, but something about the sauce got on my nerves, if I ate it more than once in a while.

Austin's a great place. It's hard to believe there is NO decent pizza there. Is there a Carrabba's there? The pizza there isn't bad.

The only places that served pizza close to my apartment were pizza hut, papa johns, dominoes, and little caesars. Certainly nothing reasonable that you could order delivery or pickup.

It was terrible man, terrible.

The only places that served pizza close to my apartment were pizza hut, papa johns, dominoes, and little caesars. Certainly nothing reasonable that you could order delivery or pickup.

It was terrible man, terrible.

That blows, man. You have my sympathies.

I have found that, where there are no good pizzerias, there is sometimes decent/acceptable pizza at an Italian restaurant, that you wouldn't think of for pizza. Almost every restaurant that sells pizza, will sell it for take out.

Is this place any good?

http://www.homeslicepizza.com/

That blows, man. You have my sympathies.

I have found that, where there are no good pizzerias, there is sometimes decent/acceptable pizza at an Italian restaurant, that you wouldn't think of for pizza. Almost every restaurant that sells pizza, will sell it for take out.

Is this place any good?

http://www.homeslicepizza.com/

Eh, homeslice was merely okay. Pretty expensive for what you got, which was of varying quality. Cheese not the greatest, but they spiced it up well at least.

Salt Lake used to be where you'd go if you had zero interest in edible pizza. Now we've got two places that serve some fantastic pizza, some of the best I've had in a long time (since I lived in Buffalo). One of them is a stone's throw from my house: Este Pizza, which serves fantastic NYC-style thin crust pizza. The other is Settebello, an authentic Napoli-style pizzeria which uses a brick oven imported from Italy. Also fantastic thin crust pizza.

Then Chicago is your town. Some of the place's crusts are almost have a fine crispy or pastry feel.

BFLO is doughy.

Not big on deep dish. But, the deep dish pizza I had in Chicago was better than I have had elsewhere.

A place like Angelo's on 57th St in NYC or Johns in the Village is more my style.

Not big on deep dish. But, the deep dish pizza I had in Chicago was better than I have had elsewhere.

A place like Angelo's on 57th St in NYC or Johns in the Village is more my style.

Chicago is also famous for the thin crust... Try that. I know Chicago gets all the PR with the deep dish or stuffed pizza... But, really the thin crust is the mainstay here.

Really the thin almost cracker crust is what I associate with "Chicago pizza" being.

Its another topic....

Who Has the best Pizza in Buffalo?

If you dont live in Buffalo anymore, where is the best place to get Buffalo style in your town.... I travel 3 weeks a month and would love ideas. Especially for LA.

for me, the best Pizza is Atlanta is...

GALLA Pizza

They have Sahlens, Beef on Weck AWESOME pizza and wings.....

UpChuckie Cheeze

Domicookedtoes

Pizza Sl*t

That's what many of us are stuck with .. I miss good Pizza

I had their new one his week, The Natural. I found it to be pretty bland.

I noticed an ad for that. It was very proud of the fact that the Natural contained no high-fructose corn syrup. Well that's pretty impressive!

Am I to understand that Pizza Slut's other pizza's contain high-fructose corn syrup? Who the hell puts sugar, of any kind, on a pizza? No wonder their pizza sucks so hard.

I noticed an ad for that. It was very proud of the fact that the Natural contained no high-fructose corn syrup. Well that's pretty impressive!

Am I to understand that Pizza Slut's other pizza's contain high-fructose corn syrup? Who the hell puts sugar, of any kind, on a pizza? No wonder their pizza sucks so hard.

Now I know why you said something bothered you about Bocce's style sauce. It is a bit sweet.

quote: Yes, that is correct. Both Leonardi's and Milano's made Bocce style pizza. Good stuff, but something about the sauce got on my nerves, if I ate it more than once in a while.

I'm not surprised. So many things today come with sugar, and with there being about 100 different derivatives and forms of sugar, it's easy to hide it in an ingredients list. Corn Syrup is just one of the most well known.

i know this may ruffle some feathers, but growing up, my favorite pizza was found at Pavone's in a few of the Syracuse area malls, specifically, Penn Can Mall. It was a real thin crust, lots of olive oil. I think I would rather have a Pavone's pizza then most any i have had.....except maybe twin trees....mmmm mall pizza....

i know this may ruffle some feathers, but growing up, my favorite pizza was found at Pavone's in a few of the Syracuse area malls, specifically, Penn Can Mall. It was a real thin crust, lots of olive oil. I think I would rather have a Pavone's pizza then most any i have had.....except maybe twin trees....mmmm mall pizza....

There is an acceptable pizzeria in a small mall ("The Small", as we call it) here in St Augustine. Not the best nor near the best...but not bad.

My mother-in-law is Italian and she puts sugar in her red sauce... :worthy: And it is runny too...

My wife has been hiding the fact that she hates her mother's sauce for over 40 years... Shhhhh! :wallbash:

Nothing like enabling denial for almost half a century... She's got me doing it too! :P:wallbash:

Now I know why you said something bothered you about Bocce's style sauce. It is a bit sweet.

quote: Yes, that is correct. Both Leonardi's and Milano's made Bocce style pizza. Good stuff, but something about the sauce got on my nerves, if I ate it more than once in a while.

I don't like Bocce's... And you are right, it is sweet... :worthy::P

Yup. I think they used sugar in their sauce (but probably not high fructose corn syrup, which is about the worst possible way to add sugar). Normally, I wouldn't like it at all (I don't like sugar in sauce), but the pizza was good, otherwise, and in small doses it actually tasted OK.

If you are making a sauce (pasta or pizza...which are different sauces) and the tomatoes seem a little bitter, my advice is to add bay leaves, basil and, a touch of dry red wine (which has a residual sugar content). Your bitterness will be gone, and you won't have the obvious taste of sugar in your final product.

Yup. I think they used sugar in their sauce (but probably not high fructose corn syrup, which is about the worst possible way to add sugar). Normally, I wouldn't like it at all (I don't like sugar in sauce), but the pizza was good, otherwise, and in small doses it actually tasted OK.

If you are making a sauce (pasta or pizza...which are different sauces) and the tomatoes seem a little bitter, my advice is to add bay leaves, basil and, a touch of dry red wine (which has a residual sugar content). Your bitterness will be gone, and you won't have the obvious taste of sugar in your final product.

I don't who it was here... I think some conservartive shill... :P:wallbash: But, they would have you believe that HFCS is the same as say pure cane sugar.

Exactly! A fella that works with my wife (older Italian guy) tried to give that advice to my mother-in-law... She didn't listen! :worthy: The one thing she did take his advice on was to make meatballs in pyrex or glass... There she has seen the "light."

Isn't there a pizzeria in WNY that uses wood fired, or coal fired, brick ovens and makes their pizzas very thin, and cooks then until the crust is blackening? I thought there was a Tuscan-style place in the area.

Deano - If you're ever in south FL, check out Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza. There are quite a few locations. It's a bit pricey, but the money goes to really fresh ingredients. I highly recommend the sausage with roma tomatoes. :D

Also, there's some sugar in all pizza recipies (in the dough). It gives the yeast something to nosh on during the rising.

Deano - If you're ever in south FL, check out Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza. There are quite a few locations. It's a bit pricey, but the money goes to really fresh ingredients. I highly recommend the sausage with roma tomatoes. :D

Also, there's some sugar in all pizza recipies (in the dough). It gives the yeast something to nosh on during the rising.

Yes, there is a little sugar in the dough...I wasn't thinking about that. Good call. Still, HFCS is not the way to go when adding sugar to dough, IMO.

As for Anthony's, I haven't been there (I am in Northern Florida) but it is one of my niece's (and my Sisters, when she visits) favorite places. My niece lives in/near Boca. I plan to visit there, soon, and try that pie. When i can order just for myself, I like pepperoni and garlic...or, if they have it HOT sausage and peppers. Also, at a traditional Italian pizzeria a Margharita pizza (with fresh tomatoes and fresh basil laid on top) is pretty damn good.

BTW, my sister really likes their coal roasted wings, too. I understand that they have nothing to do with Buffalo-style wings, but that's cool, if they are tasty. Have you tried them?

BTW, my sister really likes their coal roasted wings, too. I understand that they have nothing to do with Buffalo-style wings, but that's cool, if they are tasty. Have you tried them?

I hadn't tried their wings. I'm sure they're good - they take care with their food. If you're into 70s schmaltz, Anthony's Runaway 84 (same owner) is a fantastic Ft. Lauderdale restaurant. It's designed to look like it's set up for jet setters of days gone by. They even have a guy roaming the place singing Sinatra songs. The food is really great with old school NY waiters taking care of you.

I've moved away, but I keep in touch with a bunch of people there (Got a call just last night begging for my return - damn drunk dialing) so I'll have to send someone in to try the wings. Coincidentally, I'm making my own wings today. I'm using the Alton Brown "Good Eats" method we discussed a few months ago. I steamed them yesterday and I'll be baking/coating them later. :D

New York Pizza, 160 Allen Street has such a crust. Also - please don't laugh - Gino & Joe's Pizzeria in the Main Place Mall food court. Both are quite good.

I could testify for the food at Gino & Joe's Pizzeria. They have thin style crust pizza & chicago style. However there was an incident there 3 years ago & I have never been backed since. Me & my friend from work went there for lunch one day. So we get our food(both got subs) & across from us sure enough this lady is breast feeding her kid. Then the other kid that is with her(was 4 or 5) throws up this orange stuff(I have no idea what it was) right in the middle of aisle. The lady looks at it, picks up her kids, does not notify anybody & just walks out of the place. Me & my friend look at each other, look at our whole subs(neither one of us have taken a bite out of them yet) & get up & leave. Have not been in that place since then & even three years later when I walk by the place I get a sick feeling in my stomach.

Yeah Dean, it was called Milano's. I ate there all the time when I was in college. THe owner used to work at Bocce's and opened his own place with basically the same recipe. I agree that Pizza Junction is good but I like their subs and wings more than their pizza.

Milano's is my favorite because they did something that not enough people do: They crisp up their thickly slices pepperoni before baking the pie.