Age and Outlook on the Bills

One thing I've seen here and in talking with fellow fans is the utter dismay at the direction of the team. It seems that the longer you've been a Bills fan, the more hurt you are by the 2008 season and the decision to keep Jauron. The newer fans seem more optimistic - keep supporting the Bills and eventually they'll get better.

Is there a fatigue factor in how you think? I'm curious to find out. Tell me:

• How long have you been a Bills fan? (Be honest - if you're 30 you haven't been a Bills fan for 30 years - when did you really become a fan?)
  • What's your out look on the Bills now? Done with being a fan? Optimistic that with a few small tweaks we'll win the division on the next couple of years? Where are you on the spectrum?

I'm starting to think that recent fans are more optimistic, and REALLY old time fans aren't optimistic, but they aren't ready to jump ship because the team is losing. The ones who are taking it hardest, I think, are those who became fans in the 80's and 90's.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm starting to think that recent fans are more optimistic, and REALLY old time fans aren't optimistic, but they aren't ready to jump ship because the team is losing. The ones who are taking it hardest, I think, are those who became fans in the 80's and 90's.

Good call. The dividing line, I think, is whether or not you suffered through the 84-85 seasons and the "Bring Pro Football Back to Buffalo" jokes. I was still clinging to the Raiders as my team at that point, but going to several Bills games with my die-hard father. So when people say "It can't get any worse" ... well, I know better. It can ALWAYS be worse, and has been several times.

Honestly, I'm not sure about my seasons for next year, especially if we get another $100 price hike for my seats ... but when the invoice comes, I'll probably pony up again, out of hope if nothing else.

Burned out is the best way to categorize how I feel. A complete waste of time with no upside year after year gets to you after awhile. Been a rabid fan for 30 of my nearly 50 years and this season I quit watching for the first time. Maybe it is because I have a three year old son and watching the debacle that is a Bills game on Sunday, when I could spend time with him, is stupid.

Ralph is doing a placeholder strategy until he dies. Everyone outside of Buffalo knows the team is leaving and that the new owners will fire the entire coaching staff. All the coaches worth a sh## know this as well, so Ralph would have to spend massive money to get a guy that is "good" to waste a couple years in Buffalo. Ralph is thinking "Why spend big bucks now when the team will be moving soon?" (Ralph is nearing the century mark for Christs sake) and I am sure his kids have been pushing that philosophy.

Let me ask a related question. What kind of start to next season would make you feel good? If the Bills start out 3-0 or 4-0 again, can anyone really think that they're starting a playoff run?

Thanks, I really didn't need to hear that. :wallbash:

45-ish. Fan since '77. My article summed up the feelings.

This season was different.

That was a very well written article, or it at least expressed my feelings, well.

I'm 38. My grandfather was a charter season ticket holder. My mother was at the AFL championship game. I first became infected in September of 1980 when they beat the fish and the goalposts came down in the opener. My parents took me to the Jets game the following week, and I was hooked.

When I was 12 or 13, Knox first moved training camp to Fredonia, I was psyched! I'd stay with my grandparents, who lived about a mile from there. Then came the first tough years. Cribbs bolted to the USFL, Fergie left, Kelly went to the USFL, Perry friggin Tuttle (a little TE humor), and the Bills were a disaster. Everyone hated Wilson because he was too tight. Then came the Golden Age. I convinced myself that Wilson wasn't that bad. That opinion held until probably this year, although I started wondering about him when he hired Levy as GM. I am sad to say that the last few years I haven't invested as much emotionally until this year. I thought we were finally entering the "next" Golden Age. That's why this year hurts so badly.

SDS at some point said he isn't so much a fan of the Bills. He said he was a fan of the fans of the Bills. That's where I am right now. I wish I could be more of a fan of the Bills. I just can't be Charlie Brown anymore. With Dick as coach, Lucy isn't even holding the ball down anymore before she pulls it away.

It's time for Ralph to sell at least controlling interest in the team to insure the team stays in Buffalo. That may be the only thing that would get me truly excited about the team again outside of a division championship and deep run in the playoffs.

Great thread, btw!

53. My expectations are low, but really unchanged.

From time to time (after the San Diego win for example) I have lapsed into thinking that the Bills would make the playoffs but deep down, I knew that this team was/is screwed.

It's about Ralph, and the ever sacred cow, Marv Levy. As outspoken as I tend to be, even I hold back on Levy because I don't truly want to alienate a majority of other posters, but I am gonna let it go sooner than later.

After the Superbowl years and the departure of Polian, it was Levy imo who started the 1st round defensive back merry go-round of stupidity. This directly coincided with the team going down the drain. For years I spoke of this idiocy, and it only got worse.

Ko Simpson arrested? This makes a first round safety all but certain. Greer a ufa? Look for a 2nd or 3rd round corner just as sure as s :wallbash: t. Jauron is a Levy clone. Who else would have hired this nitwit other than a guy who 10 years earlier was reduced to being a spitting, screaming old fool who who had no control of the sidelines, let alone the team? I remember Mauck standing next to Levy yelling and cursing when the defense was on the field.

I still believe that Levy was outcoached by Parcells and that we should have slaughtered the giants in the 1st superbowl. He also let the last one slip away. I have seen scores of better coaches. Sorry folks, this is how I feel.

I was so mad during the 06 draft that I flung a clipboard accross my living room in front of my daughters. That team was starving for blockers, DTs and pass rushers and he threw it away on the secondary, giving up a pick in the process. What a freaking jackass draft! We would pay for years for something this bad under any conditions, and Jauron continues to dig us a deeper hole.

I won't be throwing any more clipboards. I expect more of the same.

Will I give up DirecTV? No. Will I go to a game in 09? Of course. To not do so would be to turn my back on some people that I consider friends, and making friends hasn't always been so easy for me.

Our foursome will be up next year with way more beer than we can possibly drink. We are pleased and honored to share it with TBDers. Join us at 1/5 before the game. It is one of my joys in this precious life and I will never give it up until my health fails.

At 5-1, I had "permission" from my wife to come up for a home playoff game. She was even going to come up and meet people I told her about.

So yeah....I expect little, but a part of me will always say, some day." :angry:

I think that the reason this year hurts more than any other is this year was our shot. We picked up Stroud and Mitchell in the offseason, we got "the best cover CB" in the draft, we got a "steal" with Hardy in the 2nd Round :angry: , Brady goes down for the season, we start off 4-0 and then 5-1, and our hearts are ripped from our chests again by the coaching, QB play, and the loss of key close games. To lose 7 of our last 9 and to go 0-6 in the AFC East, but have the coach brought back because out stupid :wallbash: owner jumped the gun on a contract extension? This is worse than anything that I've ever seen in 20 years of fanhood of any team. That says alot because I'm a Notre Dame and New York Knicks fan as well. Ralph finds new ways to sell the fans the same old product every year. We aren't even close to the salary cap, but Ralph manages like we're mere pennies from being in the red. I'm tired and have been for about 5 years now.

One thing I've seen here and in talking with fellow fans is the utter dismay at the direction of the team. It seems that the longer you've been a Bills fan, the more hurt you are by the 2008 season and the decision to keep Jauron. The newer fans seem more optimistic - keep supporting the Bills and eventually they'll get better.

• How long have you been a Bills fan? (Be honest - if you're 30 you haven't been a Bills fan for 30 years - when did you really become a fan?)
  • What's your out look on the Bills now? Done with being a fan? Optimistic that with a few small tweaks we'll win the division on the next couple of years? Where are you on the spectrum?

1. Early 40's, been a fan for 30 years.

2. Outlook - seriously pessimistic. Wilson is not the best owner in the NFL. However, as long he recognized crap and was willing to make changes in an effort to improve, I was able to stomach the mediocrity, and approached every season with optimism.

But after the 2007 season, that all changed. It was apparent Jauron learned little to nothing from his first stint as a HC, and he was following the same template that caused him to fail in Chicago. IMHO, I have no idea how anybody can believe Jauron will lead this team to anything but a losing season especially after viewing this past season.

I think that the reason this year hurts more than any other is this year was our shot. We picked up Stroud and Mitchell in the offseason, we got "the best cover CB" in the draft, we got a "steal" with Hardy in the 2nd Round :angry: , Brady goes down for the season, we start off 4-0 and then 5-1, and our hearts are ripped from our chests again by the coaching, QB play, and the loss of key close games. To lose 7 of our last 9 and to go 0-6 in the AFC East, but have the coach brought back because out stupid :wallbash: owner jumped the gun on a contract extension? This is worse than anything that I've ever seen in 20 years of fanhood of any team. That says alot because I'm a Notre Dame and New York Knicks fan as well. Ralph finds new ways to sell the fans the same old product every year. We aren't even close to the salary cap, but Ralph manages like we're mere pennies from being in the red. I'm tired and have been for about 5 years now.

For me, at least, I'll disagree. What makes the current state of the Bills so dismal is... we all know what the primary problem on this team is. The coaching staff is woefully inadequate. Yet, the team is taking no steps to correct the problem. Personally, I can deal with the team being bad. I can handle multiple losing seasons. I can take all sorts of crushing defeats - hell I'm a life long Bills fan. However, I expect that each year they're taking some measures to correct the problem. If they don't get it right or new problems surface, yeah it sucks. But, at least they tried to get better.

But when the entire football world sees how inept our coaching and game planning are, and there's no change in that, well, what hope is there? I guess Jauron et al. could defy all odds and suddenly find a clue. But, that's not so much hoping they get better as it is just praying for dumb luck. So, for me, it's not so much that we suck; but more a case of we suck and we're not going to address the problem so deal with it. :nana:

Born in WNY, I don't ever remember a time I was not a Bills fan, which I guess would make it the mid 60's.

I will be a Bills fan as long as they are the Buffalo Bills. If and when they should leave, I'm done with the NFL. But not until then.

I believe they have an opportunity to win every game; therefore I watch every game. I understand it is not likely that they will win every game, therefore I am not crushed when they lose. I hope they win enough games to play for and win a championship.

Of course, I predict an undefeated championship season every year, so people think I'm nuts, anyway. But I'm a happy nut, so they can go teach their granny to suck eggs.

Good call - I'm seeing that trend as well. I had seen part of it with all the e-mail I got this week, which is why I asked the question in the first place, but it's interesting to see the responses here...

Fifty going on 51 far too soon, and a Bills fan since growing up in Rochester back in the day of Channels 8, 10 and 13. It was a big deal when PBS (Channel 21) came to town. Four channels! Black-and-white, snowy reception, but glued to OJ every Sunday. I've moved all over the country, I've held season tickets for the Los Angeles Rams while in SoCal 20-some-odd-years-ago, but am eternally grateful that I've been able to steer events such that I'm back in northern New York. I couldn't imagine being anywhere else.

And part of that regional loyalty - and love - is being a fan of the Buffalo Bills regardless of the incompetence, frugality, and seeming-mediocrity of the front office. Would I stop watching them? Sober up!! The most recent example I can give relates to two back-to-back games this season. I was at a trade show in NYC during the Jets debacle in December, and I actually was able to rig up my display screen so as to watch the game at the booth. (Mine was a very popular booth that afternoon!). Losman nearly killed me. I was so pissed off that I cancelled on a dinner invitation proffered by some Jets fans for that evening. I just couldn't deal with it or them. The next weekend, however, I was in Phildelphia on business, but made sure I found a sports bar, and cried tears of joy as Corner knocked the ball away on the last play. My god - Buffalo had won. Buffalo had won. And all was right in my world. Losman, Jauron, and Wilson were not forgiven, but their incompetence was forgotten. For a week.

I guess I'm with the Dean on that point. Of course we're disgusted, infuriated, baffled. But to jump ship? To leave your team?

Here - let me hold the door for you.

I am 51 and have been a life-long Bills fan. I am not ready to jump ship on the Bills but I am ready to cancel my season tickets that I have had for quite a while. The enjoyment I get from the whole experience (tailgates, TBD people, food, etc.) usually trumps however bad the Bills are playing. However, the retention of Jauron and Wilson's apathy to the whole mess is perplexing. This is the first time I have ever felt this way. Perhaps, some unusual occurrences will provide some optimism before I have to make the renewal commitment - if so, then I will renew. Yet, I was at the finale vs. Pats and regardless of whomever the Bills obtain in the off-season, the reality is that BB will always outcoach DJ.

Currently, I use the following analogy on the Bills (this will confirm my age). I liken the Bills to Woolworths: the quality of goods in the store started to decline toward the end and you didn't buy as many items. However, the lunch counter (read tailgate, game-day experience) still remained popular until they closed.

There are reasons to be optimistic that it does not play out the same way for the Bills as it did for Woolworths. But, this is the first time I have felt that I am being 'had' by Ralph. If I cancel tix, I expect I will still travel for a game or two but I am going to be very cautious in my optimism for '09.

How long have you been a Bills fan? (Be honest - if you're 30 you haven't been a Bills fan for 30 years - when did you really become a fan?)

38 (will be 39 by time the season starts). Since 1988 when I went to college and my roommate was a Bills fans, so every weekend we'd watch the Bills.

What's your out look on the Bills now? Done with being a fan? Optimistic that with a few small tweaks we'll win the division on the next couple of years? Where are you on the spectrum?

Same as it is every year at the start, 19-0. After the first loss, 18-1, etc. To me, it's just a game. I'm in it more for the social aspects.

I am 40. Been a fan since '80. I live in the NYC area and get together with three others every week to watch the Bills at my house. Nothing is going to change that. Every year we make it back for one game in Buffalo and go when they play the Jets here.

I do agree that this year was different somehow...and I thought LAST year was the worst ever. I think it has to do with the fact we never beat a team that we're not supposed to beat. EVER. You know exactly what you are going to get and they never give us a treat and surprise us with a win against a better team. The only thing they surprise us with is a new and inventive way to lose every so often.

As an aside to that, one of the guys I watch games with is actually a Giants fan, but like some others here, he is a fan of Bills fans and even cheers along side us. Being somewhat removed from the Bills it's interesting to get his take on them from time to time. He mentioned the loss to the Jets and said fans of other teams see a play like maybe once a decade and would talk about it as "The Play." He said that after watching with us for several years now that those type of losses really do happen to the Bills WAY more often than other teams...a lot more...like every other week.

I was glad to have this confirmed by a non-biased party and it is one of the reasons that I will always keep watching. Being able to go on after every heartbreaking loss, year after year, is a part of what makes us who we are when we are not watching football.

I'll be turning 40 next month and have honestly been a die-hard fan of this team for going on 30 years. My outlook is one of apathy for the decision to keep Jauron as I don't believe that he'll be the coach for all of the 09 season. I think 5 games into next season we're sitting at 1-4 and Ralph pulls the plug! :worthy:

Mid 40s living in PA and Im seriously pessimistic but with their could be a silver lining in the doom to come next season. If we couldnt put together a winning season with the second easiest schedule this year what do you expect next season with a much tougher road to hoe. The silver lining may be that we tank next year, ensuring DJ is fired, and get a top 5 pick in the draft. These 7-9 seasons just keep teasing the fans that there is hope, yet were not terrible enough to get the blue chip QB. We werent bad enough in the year JP was drafted to get Eli, Rivers or Big Ben, so we traded up and got the worthless Losman. Personally, Im hoping for 2-14 next year, DJ gets fired and the top under classmen QBS dont come out this year and we have a crack at them in the 2010 draft. Sorry Im not sold on Edwards, his production or durability to be a top QB in this league. Bills have too many holes to fill in the off season in the draft and free agency. Think about our needs for solid starters---OC-TE-DE-OLB. Then think about other positions where were weak--a solid starter at DT opposite Stroud, another QB, a solid second WR, Safety will be thin if Wilson goes and Simpson just got arrested. I dont think were solid at G and Langston Walker is a sloth at RT. Im also hoping after next season Modrak is fired and we get a GM who's actually willing to live in the city he works in. There are two people holding this franchise back....tightwad Wilson and Modrak whos drafts and personal decisions have been horrendous. We werent willing to show Pat Williams the money but were willing to show Kelsay and Shobel the money. We werent willing to show Winfield the money but we were willing to show Dockery and Walker the money. We werent willing to show Clements the money but were willing to pay Roscoe 4 million and Spencer Johnson 3 million. So we over pay for marginal talent, and then let bonifide blue chippers go so we can use draft picks maintaining the status quo, instead of improving.

I am 55 and have been a fan for as long as I remember. I will be at the opening day tailgate in 2009, and have met some great people because of Bills' fandom. I will look forward to that big hug from you, too! :P

As I said in another thread, the Bills are like crack, so I will be back, but I am getting very tired of saying "wait til next year". :worthy:

53 years old. Been a fan since the 60's when black and white tv's were still the norm. Had no idea what our colors were, but I liked the little standing buffalo on the helmets.

I like to think of myself as the eternal optimist. Having been thru two divorces and losing both of my parents....I still have that glimmer of hope for the Bills. They've let me down more than they've brought me up, but hope springs eternal.

Don't like the Jauron extension. He needs to grow a set of balls. I want to see a little fire, a little assertiveness.....borderline agressiveness. Will we see it? I highly doubt it. I want to see two-back sets, alot less of running up the middle, more play-action, more slants......do our coaches even know what a slant is? I want TE to stop being Captain Checkdown. I don't really like TE, but I never really liked JK either. I'll give TE a chance. Maybe I've got him all wrong. I'd like to see more blitzes. I'd like to see our defense stop playing back so far. I'd like to see more jumping the route. Be agressive. Be....be agressive.

Will I re-new my season tickets? Hell, yeah. It's the only thing I do for myself each year.

I've met so many fabulous people on this board. I can't envision myself not tailgating with the best at Lot 1 Pole 5.

GO BILLS !!