Bruce Smith's Missed Flu Shot

Anybody remember Bruce Smith having the flu and missing the playoff game v. Pittsburgh about 15 years ago? I remember going into that game knowing we had no chance without Bruce Smith. That's how much of an impact we felt by losing a key starter.

I'm not saying Schobel is a Bruce Smith, but he does make a huge difference in the effectiveness of our defense. He's been gone for weeks. Anybody remember the record of the team when Schobel went down? Not put on top of that the losses of Whitner, Simpson, Jabari Greer, McGee......certainly the cumulative losses have a similar effect to losing Bruce Smith. Do you think having Angelo Crowell in the mix would've made a difference

Maybe that's part of the reason our season has taken a turn for the worse. Granted, they have been nearly unwatchable the past few weeks. And the playcalling has been confounding.

But if we ever get everybody back, we might have something here.

Anybody remember Bruce Smith having the flu and missing the playoff game v. Pittsburgh about 15 years ago? I remember going into that game knowing we had no chance without Bruce Smith. That's how much of an impact we felt by losing a key starter.

I'm not saying Schobel is a Bruce Smith, but he does make a huge difference in the effectiveness of our defense. He's been gone for weeks. Anybody remember the record of the team when Schobel went down? Not put on top of that the losses of Whitner, Simpson, Jabari Greer, McGee......certainly the cumulative losses have a similar effect to losing Bruce Smith. Do you think having Angelo Crowell in the mix would've made a difference

Maybe that's part of the reason our season has taken a turn for the worse. Granted, they have been nearly unwatchable the past few weeks. And the playcalling has been confounding.

It's been said here before, but I think it's an important point. Losing Rusty Jones may have been the greatest loss this team has had in a long while. This team cannot stay healthy, and it seems like a lot of pulls and strains.

It's our offense that is the problem.

That one ended our SB run--I remember it well, and also remember being mad as heck at Bruce for failing to do something as simple as getting a flu shot. So easily preventible--it still makes me mad thinking about it.....

Who was the guy who replaced him that day--anyone remember?

Getting a flu shot does not mean you won't get the flu. They guess what strains will be around teh next year and sometimes they are wrong.

I remember reading that he was so sick he could barely crawl to the bathroom to puke. I've been that sick from the flu (the two weeks before SB XXV)

Id like to think that having Bruce in that game would have changed everything, but in retrospect PGH ran over the Bills so bad that game I dont think five Bruce Smiths would have made a difference. It wasnt even close.

Yes, but on the last couple of PGH drives, when we needed to make a stop via pressure, it would have helped a lot. That would have given Kelly another chance, and Kelly had the offense revved in the ssecond half. Our D couldn't get off the field.

I remember reading that he was so sick he could barely crawl to the bathroom to puke. I've been that sick from the flu (the two weeks before SB XXV)

Altnernately, I was that sick two minutes AFTER Super Bowl XXV. Could barely drag my ass to the bathroom where I seemingly puked for a month.

I remember the game was far closer than it appeared. I recall Van Pelt coming in when Kelly was hurt and connecting with Tasker and a big drive. Only at the end did Pittsburgh pull away.

I remember it that way too. I think Pittsburgh jumped out to a big lead, but the Bills came right back. Van Pelt came in but then Kelly came back in to finish off a drive. I also recall Paup having a very big game - I think they were moving him around to create favourable matchups. The fact that they were managing to get a decent pass rush with Bruce out makes you wonder what might have been had he been there opposite Paup ...

Id like to think that having Bruce in that game would have changed everything, but in retrospect PGH ran over the Bills so bad that game I dont think five Bruce Smiths would have made a difference. It wasnt even close.

That's just not true. The Bills had no pressure on O'Donnell at all during the game (despite the presence of supposed Defensive Player of the Year Bryce Paup ... he owed that award to Bruce) but had pulled within 26-21 early in the 4th quarter and had all the momentum ... Pittsburgh had a big 3rd-and-long from inside their own 10 or 15 yard line ... and again, no pressure, O'Donnell throws up a prayer on the sideline and Thigpen makes a crazy catch and gets his feet in ... they scored on that drive and it was pretty much over at that point ... but a punt there and you never know.

Granted, they definitely could still have lost with Bruce ... even if they get the ball back there Kelly was playing with a cracked sternum that happened earlier in the game ... but to say he would not have made a difference is crazy ... the guy was still the best defensive player in the game at that point and won defensive player of the year the following season. ANY pressure on O'Donnell could have made a difference ... they were right in it in the 4th quarter without him.

Say what you want about Bruce as a person, he comes off as a selfish jerk and I am in no position to doubt that. But he was a GREAT player and I believe they find a way to win that game if he plays.

That's just not true. The Bills had no pressure on O'Donnell at all during the game (despite the presence of supposed Defensive Player of the Year Bryce Paup ... he owed that award to Bruce) but had pulled within 26-21 early in the 4th quarter and had all the momentum ... Pittsburgh had a big 3rd-and-long from inside their own 10 or 15 yard line ... and again, no pressure, O'Donnell throws up a prayer on the sideline and Thigpen makes a crazy catch and gets his feet in ... they scored on that drive and it was pretty much over at that point ... but a punt there and you never know.

Granted, they definitely could still have lost with Bruce ... even if they get the ball back there Kelly was playing with a cracked sternum that happened earlier in the game ... but to say he would not have made a difference is crazy ... the guy was still the best defensive player in the game at that point and won defensive player of the year the following season. ANY pressure on O'Donnell could have made a difference ... they were right in it in the 4th quarter without him.

Say what you want about Bruce as a person, he comes off as a selfish jerk and I am in no position to doubt that. But he was a GREAT player and I believe they find a way to win that game if he plays.

Think you're selling Paup a bit short there. Yes, the presence of Bruce on the other side helped Paup a lot but 17.5 sacks is still 17.5 sacks.

You get the flu from the flu shot more often then not, look it up. The flu shot is actually the flu.

This is 100% untrue. In fact, there is a zero (yes, nada) chance of contracting influenza from the flu shot. The vaccine is actually composed of a recombinant protein, not an actual live virus.

And if one was to actually contract the flu after getting the shot, it is a milder, attenuated form of the flu. It would not keep you out of a football game - especially a playoff game. It is true that you may contract a serotype that was not included in the actual vaccine composition, but this would have been all over the news at the time (like last year - the flu shot was ineffective) and the rest of the team likely would have been out as well.

This is 100% untrue. In fact, there is a zero (yes, nada) chance of contracting influenza from the flu shot. The vaccine is actually composed of a recombinant protein, not an actual live virus.

And if one was to actually contract the flu after getting the shot, it is a milder, attenuated form of the flu. It would not keep you out of a football game - especially a playoff game. It is true that you may contract a serotype that was not included in the actual vaccine composition, but this would have been all over the news at the time (like last year - the flu shot was ineffective) and the rest of the team likely would have been out as well.

Sorry but don't believe the hype. The flu shot is composed of strains of the flu that are rendered "inactive". Anyways, maybe the Bills need a virus to give them an excuse for their poor play.

Yes, when all else fails...I remember it well too, and remember thinking, how can this be? And yes, without Schobel we have no pass rush.

I wasn't sure if anybody would get the point that losing Schobel was important. Also, losing Whitner, Youboty, Greer, #24, and even Crowell have weakened the team considerably. QB's have had a freakin' field day back there.

The offense has stunk, but I think that is largely due to Edwards taking that shot to the lid at the top of the AR game. His play reminded me of a guy from a Zevon song: Brother Billy has both guns drawn, he ain't been right since Vietnam.

Sorry but don't believe the hype. The flu shot is composed of strains of the flu that are rendered "inactive". Anyways, maybe the Bills need a virus to give them an excuse for their poor play.

I'm sorry, I'm a pediatrician. I know a little about vaccines. The regular intramuscular influenza vaccine, the one that the majority of people get, does not contain inactive virus. This has nothing to do with hype - it's a fact. However, Flumist, the intranasal influenza vaccine does contain inactivated virus. But, this was not given to Bruce Smith. It wasn't FDA approved back then.

I'm sorry, I'm a pediatrician. I know a little about vaccines. The regular intramuscular influenza vaccine, the one that the majority of people get, does not contain inactive virus. This has nothing to do with hype - it's a fact. However, Flumist, the intranasal influenza vaccine does contain inactivated virus. But, this was not given to Bruce Smith. It wasn't FDA approved back then.

Why is it that I always get sick after I get a flu shot?

I usually do not get the flu, but always feel sick after a flu shot.

If you know anything about flu shots..-they often are ineffective...and sometimes cause you to be sick. So don't buy the hype.

Bruce didn't take the flu shot because he reportedly had a phobia about needles. Ralph actually had a private plane ready in Buffalo to fly Bruce to the game in Pittsburgh in the event that he should recover in time, since he was too sick to even travel.

The offense struggled through much of the first half. When Kelly went down with a shoulder/neck injury, AVP came in and actually helped the offense get back on track. Funny enough, AVP was only the #2 man that day because rookie Todd Collins had stunk it up so bad in the season finale against Houston, who also started a rookie QB by the name of Steve McNair.

The trainers shot Jim up with some pain relief meds and he managed to trot back onto the field in time to finish off a drive that put the team within a score (I think it was like 25-21 or something) late in the 3rd quarter. I remember after that TD, one of the announcers joked that they expected to see Bruce come flying in any second!

Bruce never showed up, the Steelers did a great job of converting 3rd downs and pretty much won going away from there on out.

Meh. I dont recall it being that close. But it was what? 14 years ago? I barely recall what I was doing 14 minutes ago.

Altnernately, I was that sick two minutes AFTER Super Bowl XXV. Could barely drag my ass to the bathroom where I seemingly puked for a month.

LA, when I heard that Bruce wasn't playing due to the flu, I was cursing him to high heaven. Oh yeah, I called him every "pu$$y," etc. on could imagine. Whats a little flu, ya know?

Well, a month later I woke up shivering in the fetal position and the fun began. For days I was burning alive, puking, etc. I lost more than 12 pounds. The fever was so high that at 1 point I was hallucinating cartoons in color on my bedroom wall. After 5 days, I was able to eat a 1/2 of a piece of toast with no butter and a few sips of tea, and I realized that I might not die. It truly was that bad.

A friend of mine had that flu and she had a 3 year old babby to watch. She was crawling on the floor crying until her husband got home.

That was the worst flu I have ever seen or heard of, yet I wanted Bruce to play professional football in Pittsburgh, in January. :bag::(:unsure: There is no way he could have made it to the locker room, let alone out in the cold. I couldn't have made it to my car.

After this, I have taken a flu shot every year, and so does everybody I ever spoke to who had this particular flu.

Sorry Bruce.

LA, when I heard that Bruce wasn't playing due to the flu, I was cursing him to high heaven. Oh yeah, I called him every "pu$$y," etc. on could imagine. Whats a little flu, ya know?

Well, a month later I woke up shivering in the fetal position and the fun began. For days I was burning alive, puking, etc. I lost more than 12 pounds. The fever was so high that at 1 point I was hallucinating cartoons in color on my bedroom wall. After 5 days, I was able to eat a 1/2 of a piece of toast with no butter and a few sips of tea, and I realized that I might not die. It truly was that bad.

A friend of mine had that flu and she had a 3 year old babby to watch. She was crawling on the floor crying until her husband got home.

That was the worst flu I have ever seen or heard of, yet I wanted Bruce to play professional football in Pittsburgh, in January. :bag::(:unsure: There is no way he could have made it to the locker room, let alone out in the cold. I couldn't have made it to my car.

After this, I have taken a flu shot every year, and so does everybody I ever spoke to who had this particular flu.

Sorry Bruce.

well--the flu shots are hit or miss...BUT I will agree with you...a bad flu is a horror show. I had it so bad one xmas I couldn't get out of bed except to literally CRAWL to the bathroom---for an entire week. I thought I was gonna die. I could barely move I was so weak.

That one ended our SB run--I remember it well, and also remember being mad as heck at Bruce for failing to do something as simple as getting a flu shot. So easily preventible--it still makes me mad thinking about it.....

Who was the guy who replaced him that day--anyone remember?

Karl Wilson...that was incidentally the last game he ever played

http://www.databasefootball.com/players/pl...lkid=WILSOKAR01

If there's one thing I have knowledge of, it's the flu shot. Please let me clear things up for you:

There are two types of vaccines:

1. The "flu shot"— an inactivated vaccine (containing killed virus) that is given with a needle, usually in the arm. The flu shot is approved for use in people older than 6 months, including healthy people and people with chronic medical conditions.

2. The nasal-spray flu vaccine — a vaccine made with live, weakened flu viruses that do not cause the flu (sometimes called LAIV for “live attenuated influenza vaccine” or FluMist®). LAIV (FluMist®) is approved for use in healthy* people 2-49 years of age who are not pregnant.

Each vaccine contains three influenza viruses-one A (H3N2) virus, one A (H1N1) virus, and one B virus. The viruses in the vaccine change each year based on international surveillance and scientists' estimations about which types and strains of viruses will circulate in a given year.

You cannot get the flu from the flu shot (#1). Repeat after me. You cannot get the flu from a flu shot. Many people do feel crappy after getting the flu shot, but this is not the flu. Believe me, if you've ever had the flu, you'd know that this is not the flu. It's just your body's reaction to it, and it's far, FAR better than getting the flu.

You cannot get the flu from the live vaccine (#2), although it's not recommended if you're going to be around people who have severely compromised immune systems. The virus is a complete wimp and can't cause the flu, but if you don't have an immune system it can still cause problems.

Finally, the most important thing to consider: the flu shot helps prevent YOU from getting the flu, but more importantly, it helps prevent you from spreading the flu to other people, like your family. You CAN get the flu virus and spread it around before you know you have it, so get vaccinated. Do it for yourself, and do it for those around you.

If you have small children, grandchildren, or elderly parents or grandparents, do it. For them.

So stop screwing around and help save a life, for crying out loud.

It's true that you will likely feel like you have the flu after you get the vaccine, just like the real infection. When we get the real flu, our own immune system starts producing certain proteins in our blood that help us fight the virus. These proteins make us feel like hell, it's not the actual flu virus that cause the misery. So when we get the vaccine, we are actually tricking our own body to think it is being invaded by the flu and these same immune system proteins are then produced (and also make us feel bad too). The good thing is this crappy feeling only lasts about 12 hours (not 5-7 days) and we develop immunity against the flu.

If there's one thing I have knowledge of, it's the flu shot...

So stop screwing around and help save a life, for crying out loud.

Well said! Everyone should receive a flu shot. Hundreds of people die from the flu each year (mostly just at the extremes of age) and this can be prevented.

Back on topic, Bruce was always a game changing force. He could single-handedly take over a game and win it for us. If Bruce played in that game, I really can't say we still definitively still would have lost that game.

The last time I had the flu I had a flu shot. Spent five days dying. Haven't had one in 12 years and haven't had the flu. In fact in the 12 years I have only called in sick to work 3 times. I will admit to attitude adjustment days (went and saw the shuttle take off one time).

I remember it that way too. I think Pittsburgh jumped out to a big lead, but the Bills came right back. Van Pelt came in but then Kelly came back in to finish off a drive. I also recall Paup having a very big game - I think they were moving him around to create favourable matchups. The fact that they were managing to get a decent pass rush with Bruce out makes you wonder what might have been had he been there opposite Paup ...

I don't recall Paup ever having a big game as a Bill w/o Smith on the field

I wish we wouldve had Paup in the last Bowl we played in..We wouldve won..Aikman wouldve been on his backside more often than not...We were done when Pitsburgh beat us..The Bills had their shots and missed the boat..Bruce wouldnt have mttered..We ran our course by then...

Getting a flu shot does not mean you won't get the flu. They guess what strains will be around teh next year and sometimes they are wrong.

I was sick for about two weeks after that super bowl and it wasn't because of the flu. :P

Well said! Everyone should receive a flu shot. Hundreds of people die from the flu each year (mostly just at the extremes of age) and this can be prevented.

Back on topic, Bruce was always a game changing force. He could single-handedly take over a game and win it for us. If Bruce played in that game, I really can't say we still definitively still would have lost that game.

Alas, we'll never know if we would have gotten the Bruce who was capable of tremendous, game changing play, or the Bruce who was totally dominated by Boselli (Jags) the following year. Had this been one of Bruce's better games, well....

One other note. I simply cannot recall when Bruce HAD a big game when we were playing in a BIG game. Anyone?