My Meaningless Opinion

R. Rich

Get well soon, Trent. The Bills need you @ full strength in order to get that elusive playoff bid this year. Next time you see Adrian Wilson, one of the very best safeties in the league @ blitzing, line up that close to the line, expect him to come after you and be ready to step up and throw, roll out to give yourself more time to make a play, or maybe even take off and run for a few yards instead of getting blasted. Ah well, it's all part of the maturation process, and I'm sure Trent will be better prepared for such situations down the road.

Yeah yeah the defense was awful and cost the Bills the win blah blah blah. This all seems very familiar to me. Kinda like the '04 season, when the facts that the Bills couldn't guard multiple receiver sets, struggled to rush the passer, and were atrocious on third downs were all lost in the haze of a very sweet win streak that had the team just a game away from a playoff spot. We all remember what happened from there, don't we? Hey, I love this team and the 4-0 start, but there were signs of a performance like this during that streak. I mentioned from the outset how I felt that the LBs struggled covering the pass. That hasn't changed. I mentioned how our LBs and DEs needed to do a lot more in terms of pass rushing and coverage. The problems persist. 'Til the team corrects these issues, there's gonna be chances of more performances like yesterday's.

It's all your fault, JP! Yes, I hear the cries from afar. Damn you for not being able to solving the mystery that is Pro Bowl caliber OT Mike Gandy. Damn you for playing so far off the receivers, allowing for quick slant after quick slant w/ an occasional crossing route mixed in. Damn your poor attempts to tackle, allowing the Cardinals to get truckloads of yards after the catch. Damn you for not blocking that D lineman that shot in there to disrupt the play that caused the fumble. Yep, I blame you. Okay, now back to reality here. Sure, the team could've benefitted from a better effort from Losman. No doubt 'bout it. But to blame everything on his play is ridiculous.

Anyone see Posluszny yet? I know it's customary to wait 48 hours to file a report, but...

Jauron, why didn't you challenge that call? Maybe you realized the player in question was the TE, and just figured he blew it? I dunno.

What a disappointing outing by the O line. I mean, Travis LaBoy is good, but he ain't that good. Pass protection is the strength of this line, but man were they outclassed. As for the running game, I'm still waiting to see this line perform up to its potential. A line this huge should not be allowing a stud back like Lynch to get constantly hammered each time he touches the ball. It's like watching Roethlisberger trying to throw in front of the Stillers' line. Yuck. I love the whole "beast mode" thingy, but it sure would be nice to see the 5 beasts in front of Marshawn give him a free pass to the 2nd level. Then, the league would truly see the kind of beast Marshawn is.

Okay, bottom line is that the Bills limp into the bye w/ a 4-1 record. Not bad. Did anyone here think they'd do that prior to the start of the season? I didn't. Yes, there are issues they need to solve, and we can only hope the coaches get to work on making the proper adjustments needed to solve them. Speaking of, I did like the way the DBs actually got up to the line and challenged the Arizona receivers early in the 3rd quarter. I've been wondering why the Bills haven't done more of that. Then, I remembered just how well they rush the passer. Anyway, everyone try to relax a bit. No jumping out of windows, no "_____ sucks!" or "Fire _____" threads are needed. This team is close to being a postseason contender, folks. They just need to work on some things. Quickly.

Anyone see Posluszny yet? I know it's customary to wait 48 hours to file a report, but...

Now, that's rich! At least no one can accuse you of PSU envy.

Very disappointed with the defense's performance yesterday, including Fewell's gameplan. Could be he (Fewell) flipped a coin, but why he chose a slow and painful death is beyond me.

Excellant post. Couldn't agree more about the OLine. Amazes me that guys run free right by our lineman. JP handed off to Lynch and the Cards defender is in their face 5 yards deep causing a fumble. Fowler appears to be a weak link. Might be time to give Duke a shot.

Excellant post. Couldn't agree more about the OLine. Amazes me that guys run free right by our lineman. JP handed off to Lynch and the Cards defender is in their face 5 yards deep causing a fumble. Fowler appears to be a weak link. Might be time to give Duke a shot.

The Bills have thrown a lot of money at both lines and yet they still seem to be the achilles heel of the team.

Agree with all of that, Rich.

The injuries to Trent, McGee and Ko were certainly felt yesterday. But I also thought the injury to Crowell really hurt us for the first time yesterday. Bottom line is, we got outplayed and outcoached. We weren't going 16-0...I'm fine with 4-1. It's the injury bug that has me worried.

We have to get a better player than Ellison to go with Poz and Mitchell...not that they were great yesterday either. But Ellison is a backup/special teams player. And we need to improve on both lines.

There are a lot of pieces in place...we just need a few more to make this team more complete.

But as for this year, I think we're still OK. I like our schedule. I like our team, assuming we can get healthy and stay healthy. If that happens, we're fine. We'll be right there 'til the end for a playoff spot.

I blame both lines for the loss as well.

JP needs an extra second compared to most QBs in order to make some decent play - he didn't get it. It also shows how Trents quick release is key for the line to look OK. Run blocking? The best runs were when they ran around the line rather than behind it.

The d-line? Oy vey. If they can't get to Warner - even with quick passes - they won't get to anyone.

I agree with many of your points. Every team has a clunker and runs into a red hot QB. That said, some of the dfense calls were baffling. And the O-line must play better.

Trent needs to get healthy...fast.

Finally, I'm loving SD....they host the Pats*, in a game they will be sky high for. Then they have to come to the rough Buff, in what can only be described as a trap game for SD. We have a two weeks to rest and prepare. I expect our best effort of the season against SD, who will be coming off the emotional high of smoking the Pats*.

5-1, before we hit the division meatgrinder...say we come out of that with 2/3...7-2 and head toward the AFC East title!! My optimism is still sky high!

I agree with many of your points. Every team has a clunker and runs into a red hot QB. That said, some of the dfense calls were baffling. And the O-line must play better.

Finally, I'm loving SD....they host the Pats*, in a game they will be sky high for. Then they have to come to the rough Buff, in what can only be described as a trap game for SD. We have a two weeks to rest and prepare. I expect our best effort of the season against SD, who will be coming off the emotional high of smoking the Pats*.

5-1, before we hit the division meatgrinder...say we come out of that with 2/3...7-2 and head toward the AFC East title!! My optimism is still sky high!

Great point, NE is going to have all they could handle next week. SD is basically playing for their season. This bye has come at a perfect time this year. Regroup, fix the problems & come out firing in front of what should be a juiced up crowd in 2 weeks.

Spot on, R2. For the life of me, I cannot understand why Mortimer didn't throw the reg flag on the Robert Royal catch - R2 was CLEARLY down by contact, and the ground cannot cause a fumble. The ball did not come out til Royal placed it on the carpet. The little ref-guy seemed to be loving being seen on nat'l TV too, and probably would have jumped at the chance to get in front of the camera again to reverse a call.

Very good post. I agree for the most part. I actually had the Bills going 4-1 or 3-2 with losses to AZ and/or Jacksonville. I do find it ironic about JP getting accused of holding the ball to long on a play where he was sacked at the 3 second mark. Any QB in the league should have 3 seconds from his OL. That play was clearly on Peters. Even Beurline accused him of it, and then on the replay he counted 1001, 1002, 1003 bam. Take your foot out of your mouth Steve. You were never much of a QB either. Another lacklustre career.

The cards were playing for their season as well coming off two straight losses and an embarrasing loss against the Jets. The writing was on the wall for a big performance by the cards.

Spot on, R2. For the life of me, I cannot understand why Mortimer didn't throw the reg flag on the Robert Royal catch - R2 was CLEARLY down by contact, and the ground cannot cause a fumble. The ball did not come out til Royal placed it on the carpet. The little ref-guy seemed to be loving being seen on nat'l TV too, and probably would have jumped at the chance to get in front of the camera again to reverse a call.

I think that maybe he should have taken his chances with the challenge, but his knee never touched the ground. There was no way they were overturning that. That's were it becomes tricky. Jauron knew that his knee didn't touch, so is it worth risking a timeout to take a chance the referees screw it up? I don't know.

Good points by R.Rich. The Bills got punched in the mouth.

Get well soon, Trent. The Bills need you @ full strength in order to get that elusive playoff bid this year. Next time you see Adrian Wilson, one of the very best safeties in the league @ blitzing, line up that close to the line, expect him to come after you and be ready to step up and throw, roll out to give yourself more time to make a play, or maybe even take off and run for a few yards instead of getting blasted. Ah well, it's all part of the maturation process, and I'm sure Trent will be better prepared for such situations down the road.

Yeah yeah the defense was awful and cost the Bills the win blah blah blah. This all seems very familiar to me. Kinda like the '04 season, when the facts that the Bills couldn't guard multiple receiver sets, struggled to rush the passer, and were atrocious on third downs were all lost in the haze of a very sweet win streak that had the team just a game away from a playoff spot. We all remember what happened from there, don't we? Hey, I love this team and the 4-0 start, but there were signs of a performance like this during that streak. I mentioned from the outset how I felt that the LBs struggled covering the pass. That hasn't changed. I mentioned how our LBs and DEs needed to do a lot more in terms of pass rushing and coverage. The problems persist. 'Til the team corrects these issues, there's gonna be chances of more performances like yesterday's.

It's all your fault, JP! Yes, I hear the cries from afar. Damn you for not being able to solving the mystery that is Pro Bowl caliber OT Mike Gandy. Damn you for playing so far off the receivers, allowing for quick slant after quick slant w/ an occasional crossing route mixed in. Damn your poor attempts to tackle, allowing the Cardinals to get truckloads of yards after the catch. Damn you for not blocking that D lineman that shot in there to disrupt the play that caused the fumble. Yep, I blame you. Okay, now back to reality here. Sure, the team could've benefitted from a better effort from Losman. No doubt 'bout it. But to blame everything on his play is ridiculous.

Jauron, why didn't you challenge that call? Maybe you realized the player in question was the TE, and just figured he blew it? I dunno.

What a disappointing outing by the O line. I mean, Travis LaBoy is good, but he ain't that good. Pass protection is the strength of this line, but man were they outclassed. As for the running game, I'm still waiting to see this line perform up to its potential. A line this huge should not be allowing a stud back like Lynch to get constantly hammered each time he touches the ball. It's like watching Roethlisberger trying to throw in front of the Stillers' line. Yuck. I love the whole "beast mode" thingy, but it sure would be nice to see the 5 beasts in front of Marshawn give him a free pass to the 2nd level. Then, the league would truly see the kind of beast Marshawn is.

Okay, bottom line is that the Bills limp into the bye w/ a 4-1 record. Not bad. Did anyone here think they'd do that prior to the start of the season? I didn't. Yes, there are issues they need to solve, and we can only hope the coaches get to work on making the proper adjustments needed to solve them. Speaking of, I did like the way the DBs actually got up to the line and challenged the Arizona receivers early in the 3rd quarter. I've been wondering why the Bills haven't done more of that. Then, I remembered just how well they rush the passer. Anyway, everyone try to relax a bit. No jumping out of windows, no "_____ sucks!" or "Fire _____" threads are needed. This team is close to being a postseason contender, folks. They just need to work on some things. Quickly.

Or, 4 - 0 was an illusion and the only maginal improvement with the team this season was with the starting QB.

Great opinions. Can't find much that I don't disagree with.

From what I can tell and I don't pretend to be some line guru, but the Bills seem to be stunt happy. It's almost like they learned a new trick and think they should use it all the time. One of the reasons we seem to get no rush from our D-line is they spend half their time stunting and running around each other. Schobel, for example, has been criticized for not getting past Gandy. However, it seemed (and I haven't reviewed the game to verify this) that he spent most of his time stunting and rushing over the center.

How many times did the Bills go with that "lets open the entire middle of the defense" look. Ya know the one where all the Tackles and DEs are lined up a few yards outside either of the guards, the LBs are 10-15 yards off the line of scrimmage. Then at the snap, they all run around each other before they rush the QB. This defense didn't work in the 2007 preseason and its not working now. I have no idea why they continue to try it.

They got great pressure on Seattle because they loaded the line right in the middle and rushed straight through the gaps. It worked. But, for some inexplicable reason they shelved that plan.

Offensively, I'd say its a similar situation. There seems to be too many pulls, stunts and zone blocks and not enough just straight up knock the crap out of the guys in front of you.

It just seems to me they need to dumb down the line play a little. Just line the guys up and let them go at the guys in front of them. And while they're at it, get back to the basics of tackling. I'm not sure how you teach a guy to tackle. But, I'd probably call in a high school or possible middle school coach and have him spend a couple of days with the defense this week. Maybe that would drive the point home that they need to focus on the basics a little more.

Great opinions. Can't find much that I don't disagree with.

From what I can tell and I don't pretend to be some line guru, but the Bills seem to be stunt happy. It's almost like they learned a new trick and think they should use it all the time. One of the reasons we seem to get no rush from our D-line is they spend half their time stunting and running around each other. Schobel, for example, has been criticized for not getting past Gandy. However, it seemed (and I haven't reviewed the game to verify this) that he spent most of his time stunting and rushing over the center.

How many times did the Bills go with that "lets open the entire middle of the defense" look. Ya know the one where all the Tackles and DEs are lined up a few yards outside either of the guards, the LBs are 10-15 yards off the line of scrimmage. Then at the snap, they all run around each other before they rush the QB. This defense didn't work in the 2007 preseason and its not working now. I have no idea why they continue to try it.

They got great pressure on Seattle because they loaded the line right in the middle and rushed straight through the gaps. It worked. But, for some inexplicable reason they shelved that plan.

Offensively, I'd say its a similar situation. There seems to be too many pulls, stunts and zone blocks and not enough just straight up knock the crap out of the guys in front of you.

It just seems to me they need to dumb down the line play a little. Just line the guys up and let them go at the guys in front of them. And while they're at it, get back to the basics of tackling. I'm not sure how you teach a guy to tackle. But, I'd probably call in a high school or possible middle school coach and have him spend a couple of days with the defense this week. Maybe that would drive the point home that they need to focus on the basics a little more.

Dumb it down any more and they will be using Legos to diagram it. :censored: