Peters speaks to the media

Jerry Jabber

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for what I'm going to say but... "I picked the Bills so I want to play for them", wait a second.... The Bills picked him when nobody would have, they transformed him into a probowl player and all he wants is dough. Sure he had to do all the hard work himself but they taught him how to do it and coached him well as well as actually giving him a chance and sticking to him.

Man.... Give me the NFL Europe attitude ten times over this, guys who earned $10000,- for the season and were just happy to be playing and enjoying every second of it since it could have been their very last which for lots of guys was the case. They had passion and love for the game. This so called business stuff... Ridiculous.

Also from reading between the lines "My agent called me and said that I had to go in saterday, he wouldnt take no for an answer", so it wasnt as much Parker as it was Peters himself?

Pretty standard awkwardness after a holdout. "Well, I wanted more money, but they didn't want to give it to me so I did the only thing that I could and that was to hold out. But I love the team."

Should be a business as usual for him for the rest of the season. Hopefully he'll be playing at an elite level and we'll give him a new contract that will lock him in for years to come at the end of the season.

Sorry for what I'm going to say but... "I picked the Bills so I want to play for them", wait a second.... The Bills picked him when nobody would have, they transformed him into a probowl player and all he wants is dough. Sure he had to do all the hard work himself but they taught him how to do it and coached him well as well as actually giving him a chance and sticking to him.

Man.... Give me the NFL Europe attitude ten times over this, guys who earned $10000,- for the season and were just happy to be playing and enjoying every second of it since it could have been their very last which for lots of guys was the case. They had passion and love for the game. This so called business stuff... Ridiculous.

Also from reading between the lines "My agent called me and said that I had to go in saterday, he wouldnt take no for an answer", so it wasnt as much Parker as it was Peters himself?

I don't know for sure, but he's probably referring to "picking the Bills" because he had multiple offers from teams after the draft, even though nobody actually picked him in the draft.

The Bills picked him when nobody would have, they transformed him into a probowl player and all he wants is dough.

I really don't know if this is true. A lot has been made of the fact that Peters "owes" the Bills, because we "gave him a chance." Yes, under the Bills supervision, he became a world class tackle, but he was a world class athlete going into that draft. Anyone who followed that draft closely knew about the special talent that was Jason Peters, a 325+ pounder that ran a sub 4.9 40 time. I really couldn't tell you why a team didn't take a chance on him in the 7th, obviously a lot of GMs are kicking themselves now, but I do know that almost every team was trying to get him to sign as an undrafted rookie free agent. He DID pick Buffalo like he said, probably because we had sh------- ass tackles and he saw an opening there, as it was already assumed he was going to try and play o-line. Yes, Buffalo deserves a lot of credit, but so does Peters himself, and we should be lucky to have him on our team. He would probably be just as good anywhere else.

I didn't like the holdout. The Bills rewarded him with a contract extension after we saw how good he was developing. The way he went about the holdout was a slap in the face to the organization that molded him into the high-quality player that he is. I'm glad he's back, and hopefully this will help the team out as Peters will be fresher towards the end of the year since he missed the OTA's, mini-camp, training camp & pre-season.

I really don't know if this is true. A lot has been made of the fact that Peters "owes" the Bills, because we "gave him a chance." Yes, under the Bills supervision, he became a world class tackle, but he was a world class athlete going into that draft. Anyone who followed that draft closely knew about the special talent that was Jason Peters, a 325+ pounder that ran a sub 4.9 40 time. I really couldn't tell you why a team didn't take a chance on him in the 7th, obviously a lot of GMs are kicking themselves now, but I do know that almost every team was trying to get him to sign as an undrafted rookie free agent. He DID pick Buffalo like he said, probably because we had sh------- ass tackles and he saw an opening there, as it was already assumed he was going to try and play o-line. Yes, Buffalo deserves a lot of credit, but so does Peters himself, and we should be lucky to have him on our team. He would probably be just as good anywhere else.

Spot on.

I think its absurd when people talk about how we gave Peters (or McGahee for that matter) "a shot." There ain't no charity cases in pro sports. Teams don't pay someone a minimum of six figures because they want to give them a break. We took a chance that he would be good and we won. He "owes" the team no kind of gratitude or loyalty in that regard.

and the guy makes a good point, everyone quick to say he is hurting his team(family), but he is holding out for more money for his Real Blood Family, which I can see his point. He is a millionaire already, but everyone wants what they deserve. Not saying the way he went about is right, but I can see his point.

Um if you go undrafted by a team you are a free agent. This was the case for Jason. He went undrafted and then the Bills signed him to a free agent contract. Jason Peters was actually cut at the end of training camp, cleared waivers and was signed to the Bills Practice squad in his rookie season.

So yes Jason Peters picked the Bills just as much as the Bills picked Jason Peters by giving him a contract.

Man people only hear and remember what they want.

Evans....

Not picking a fight with you but I see this from the exact opposite side.

- He was NOT drafted.....nobody thought he was a good enough player to draft.

- He was a undrafted free agent TE that the bills took a chance on. There are just so many athletes who are freakishly athletic but never get that chance because they get "pigeon hold"

There is every possibility that Jason Peters could not be playing football right now because teams just didn't pick up on his special talent.....it is the bills that took a flyer on that talent, cultivated him, and brought him along to where he is....giving him money TWICE along the way including incentives for making it to Left Tackle.

I think he should be paid more.....absolutley...the way he went about it SUCKS

So according to Jason Peters, he was always healthy, 100% now, ready to play Sunday, he just wanted more money, the Bills wouldn't negotiate with him, there was nothing to talk about because there was a stalemate, and there was communication between his agent and the team, and the Bills called his agent last week. He feels like he let his teammates down but doesn't regret the holdout. It really was always that simple, and obvious.

[/quote

i'll give peter's all the credit in the world for his part of the development, but take issue with "he would probably be just as good anywhere else." between time, effort and committment spent by the franchise, between the schooling at the hands of an exceptional line coach, and calculating the investment the bills made last year in the line---you're throwing alot out the window as just pure dumb luck where he landed. we're no luckier to have him than he was lucky to be here, if that makes any sense.

anyway, onward. with luck, he plays at the elite level and renegotiates a deal that makes us all happy for the next few years.

Well call me the odd man out then. Ok so he picked the Bills out of numerous offers, but he took it waaaay too far. It really is time for some sort of salary scaling thing. I mean where is the passion, where is the love? This has nothing to do with a game, it's pure business. What's next paying fans to be a fan? Proud to be a Bill as long as you can cough up the dough?

Well call me the odd man out then. Ok so he picked the Bills out of numerous offers, but he took it waaaay too far. It really is time for some sort of salary scaling thing. I mean where is the passion, where is the love? This has nothing to do with a game, it's pure business. What's next paying fans to be a fan? Proud to be a Bill as long as you can cough up the dough?

Passion is only generated when a satisfactory financial reward is in place.

Evans....

Not picking a fight with you but I see this from the exact opposite side.

- He was NOT drafted.....nobody thought he was a good enough player to draft.

- He was a undrafted free agent TE that the bills took a chance on. There are just so many athletes who are freakishly athletic but never get that chance because they get "pigeon hold"

There is every possibility that Jason Peters could not be playing football right now because teams just didn't pick up on his special talent.....it is the bills that took a flyer on that talent, cultivated him, and brought him along to where he is....giving him money TWICE along the way including incentives for making it to Left Tackle.

I think he should be paid more.....absolutley...the way he went about it SUCKS

I actually don't disagree with any of that, it's just all about perspective. I'm of the opinion Donahoe got lucky with Peters, this happens sometimes in sports. The Pats got !@#$in lucky with Brady, they didn't know he'd be that good. I think any of the teams that wanted to land Peters after the draft would be reaping the benefits right now. Peters picked Buffalo and the rest is history.

You are incorrect.

Peters was an undrafted FA free to sign with any team he wanted to. He chose the Bills.

but I agree with the fact that he should of just showed up and worked the system from within. He has to enact a lot of damage control now.