"New" Article on Peters

Mickey

Jason Peters Debate: Show him the money!

I ran across this article from 7/25 that I didn't see as having been linked to at the TBD front page so here it is, to be added to the database. Sorry if it already was. Just yet another corner heard from.

Highlights:

"If any team knows how rare it is to find a linchpin at left tackle it’s the Buffalo Bills. Arguably no team has struggled at that position more than Buffalo over the past decade, and it’s kept them out of the playoffs for eight years."

"What a solid first step for Trent Edwards’ development. That’s exactly what Edwards needs – musical chairs on the offensive line and defensive ends constantly in his grill."

"Peters’ base salary for this season of $3.25 million is an insult. Brandon noted that the Bills’ gave him this five-year, $15 million deal in 2006. The compensation-for-good play effect already played out, he attests. But a lot has changed since then. Buffalo rewarded Peters with this deal right after he made the switch from tight end to lineman. But then he made another switch – to left tackle. Now he’s the team’s reliable starter at arguably the most thankless, difficult job in sports. Left tackle. Or more appropriately, Trent Edwards’ blind side."

Quite the drama queen there, aren't you Mick? "Have the stones to accept the reality of my position...?" What are you, twelve? Ride the short bus? Yeah, I got the stones.

Obviously you've read everything I've posted on this matter; in fact, one of your prior rants I think you actually spent the time to dig up every one of my posts referring to Peters/Parker in unflattering terms, so which part of I DON'T GIVE A FLYING !@#$ ABOUT JASON PETERS do you not understand? It's a fairly straightforward, almost entirely monosyllabic construct, but tell me exactly which word is causing you the most difficulty, and I'll help you with the definition.

After the crap this bum pulled - how he won't honor his current contract, how is word is worthless, how he let down his teammates, coaches, the fans, and the organization that took a chance on an undrafted, slow witted TE, recognized his raw ability enough to try him at different positions, and developed him into a top OT - you think ANYONE cares at all that he's so unhappy with the last big raise that he wants another one right now?

There's a few hundred guys around the league that are gonna get cut today after working their asses off in July and August; guys who played their hearts out and gave their all just for the opportunity to try and make an NFL roster. And you want to see some sympathy for poor Jason Peters? Are you !@#$ing insane? You want my plan for Peter to follow to get paid what he's worth? Well, right now, he's sitting on his ass while his teammates are working their asses off, so he's worth NOTHING, but since you asked...

4. Peters, you idiot, you've done so much freakin' damage to your image and your relationship with the fans, teammates, coaches, and front office, that even if the team was inclined to explore a giving you a nice big new contract, providing you're not a useless gimp after the groin tear/hernia operation, you are now gonna have to play out your cleats, like a man possessed, to show management that you deserve any consideration at all. BTW, 9-Wonderlic, you ARE aware that it's the fans, players, and coaches that vote players into the Pro Bowl, right? How many votes you counting on from Bills fans, players and coaches? Good luck.

5. You want money, Jason? Obviously food is more important to you than football, Lard Ass, so when your done licking the barbecue off your fingers, turn the TV off, get off the couch, and get your fat, stupid, lazy, overweight, outa shape ass to practice. You owe the Bills a cool $half-mil$ in fines, so you should start seeing some scratch around October or so.

Should I keep going? You need me to post steps 6 and 7, or do you get the picture?

Go ahead and read that post Mick. No month old article from some second rate website is gonna change anyone's mind.

That "article" was an op-ed piece, and it was meant to be part of a point-counterpoint. Interesting that only one side was referenced by the thread starter. Here's the opposing take: http://buf.scout.com/2/772622.html

And no, since Buffalo Football Report is a pay-to-play Scout.com site, most of Tyler's stuff doesn't get linked here. That's a shame, because I like his work -- been reading him ever since he started stringing games for the Times Herald in high school.

That "article" was an op-ed piece, and it was meant to be part of a point-counterpoint. Interesting that only one side was referenced by the thread starter. Here's the opposing take: http://buf.scout.com/2/772622.html

And no, since Buffalo Football Report is a pay-to-play Scout.com site, most of Tyler's stuff doesn't get linked here. That's a shame, because I like his work -- been reading him ever since he started stringing games for the Times Herald in high school.

This was a great article and it was on the money. Thanks Lori....

i think this is the point being missied by most...2 sides to a hold out. People whom want to believe Peters is in the wrong, can back it up with solids points, as can those who support the actions taken by Peters to get a pay raise.

Its just business, looks like the bills are gonna hold firm, which is thier right to do so. Peters will show up this week and play out the season at a pro bowl level, and get paid next year. I wish Peters had decided to come to camp, but i also wish the bills had given him a new deal already. Not because i care about a millionare athlete who could use 20 more million, or an owner who could save himself some $ this year.

I just want one of the best LT's in the league, protecting my 2nd yr QB's blind side now.

because im a fan.

Thanks for that one, Lori - I can't imagine why the Mickster would choose not to include both articles????

Maybe the reason lies in the very first sentence...

"Two words come to mind when thinking about this Jason Peters holdout: stupid and selfish."

Go ahead and read that post Mick. No month old article from some second rate website is gonna change anyone's mind.

Just added it to the database along with all the other articles from both sides of the issue. Sure sent a bunch of the Peters haters into a tizzy though. Opinions contrary to theirs seems to do that.

I hadn't seen that one from the Senator yet, I'll have to check it out next time there is a shortage of hysterical bile. I guess he really, really, really hates Peters.

The post you linked to had a link at the end "for the other side of the debate", the one I linked to was apparently the response but contained no such link at the end "for the other side". Didn't link to it because I didn't know it existed. Or maybe I am part of a big conspiracy to silence the hysterical hatred of Peters floating around because not linking to one article would have done the trick.

I simply ran across an article that I hadn't seen linked to here before so I added it to the pile. I sincerely apologize for posting a link to an article on a Buffalo Bills issue that hasn't been linked before on a Bills fan site full of links to articles on team issues. Don't know what I was thinking but clearly, that kind of shocking behaviour on my part deserved the high decibel responses herein.

Just added it to the database along with all the other articles from both sides of the issue. Sure sent a bunch of the Peters haters into a tizzy though. Opinions contrary to theirs seems to do that.

I can see both sides of the story. I'm all for giving Peters more money. He doesn't need to prove anything. He's an all pro. That means he's the best; in his first full year playing the position. That's no fluke. The OT position isn't like the WR position. You don't get hot one year and then suck the next. The dude has completely shut down Jason Taylor everytime he's played against him including twice in 06 when he was the Defensive POY, and including every other player he's ever lined up against.

Should he be in camp? Yes. Are there injury concerns? Yes. I'm not saying they should give him a contract now. He should be here and I side with the bills about that aspect. I also realize there's a concern about precedent regarding negotiating his contract that was already restructured once, but this is obviously an extenuating circumstance. We signed him a new contract hoping he'd become a solid starter, not a perennial pro bowler.

TWO OPTIONS HERE POSTERS:

1. PAY THE MAN WHAT HE DESERVES AND HAVE A PRO BOWL LEFT TACKLE FOR SEVERAL YEARS.

2. LET HIM SIT/WALK AND HAVE AN OFFENSIVE LINE THAT BLOWS FOR ANOTHER EIGHT PLAYOFFLESS YEARS.

You would think we would have learned this lesson after we let Pat Williams walk.

I realize I'm jumping to conclusions about Peters leaving, but that's where this is headed if the bills don't just swallow their pride and actually pay one of their premier players for a change.

TWO OPTIONS HERE POSTERS:

1. PAY THE MAN WHAT HE DESERVES AND HAVE A PRO BOWL LEFT TACKLE FOR SEVERAL YEARS.

2. LET HIM SIT/WALK AND HAVE AN OFFENSIVE LINE THAT BLOWS FOR ANOTHER EIGHT PLAYOFFLESS YEARS.

You would think we would have learned this lesson after we let Pat Williams walk.

I realize I'm jumping to conclusions about Peters leaving, but that's where this is headed if the bills don't just swallow their pride and actually pay one of their premier players for a change.

Pat Williams left at the end of his contract. Was it a mistake to let him go? Yes, it was. Does it even remotely relate to the Peters situation? No, it does not.

I hadn't seen that one from the Senator yet, I'll have to check it out next time there is a shortage of hysterical bile. I guess he really, really, really hates Peters.

Oh you saw it, alright, li'l pardner. You've gone so far as to spend hours combing through all my posts about Peters, just to compile a list of all the really, really, really nasty things I've said about poor Jason. :worthy:

"Hates" is a very strong term, junior. I generally reserve my 'hatred' for murderers, rapists, child molesters, terrorists, and other filthy animals of that ilk.

Peters is just a big, fat, stupid football player who's lucky to have a modicum of agility and athleticism - just enough to move his overfed belly fast enough to earn vast sums of money for being big, fat, and stupid. That's no reason to hate him.

So no, I don't hate Jason Peters. Not at all. I despise his attitude, his ignorance, his arrogance, his ingratitude, his disloyalty, his selfishness - and while he may have been a good football player before he tore up his groin and let his body go to schitt, I'll never respect him as a man.

And every time you go begging to be his knob-gobbler or rave about the delicious taste of his rim cheese, I'll be right there to set you straight. B-)

Thanks for that one, Lori - I can't imagine why the Mickster would choose not to include both articles????

Maybe the reason lies in the very first sentence...

That statement (stupid and selfish) was about Peters not Mickey Mouse although it could apply to both. Article could have equally applied words moronic and troublesome.

Horrible article. Poorly written, reasoned and written by a hack retard fan.

I ran across this article from 7/25 that I didn't see as having been linked to at the TBD front page so here it is, to be added to the database. Sorry if it already was. Just yet another corner heard from.

Highlights:

"If any team knows how rare it is to find a linchpin at left tackle it’s the Buffalo Bills. Arguably no team has struggled at that position more than Buffalo over the past decade, and it’s kept them out of the playoffs for eight years."

"What a solid first step for Trent Edwards’ development. That’s exactly what Edwards needs – musical chairs on the offensive line and defensive ends constantly in his grill."

"Peters’ base salary for this season of $3.25 million is an insult. Brandon noted that the Bills’ gave him this five-year, $15 million deal in 2006. The compensation-for-good play effect already played out, he attests. But a lot has changed since then. Buffalo rewarded Peters with this deal right after he made the switch from tight end to lineman. But then he made another switch – to left tackle. Now he’s the team’s reliable starter at arguably the most thankless, difficult job in sports. Left tackle. Or more appropriately, Trent Edwards’ blind side."

The post you linked to had a link at the end "for the other side of the debate", the one I linked to was apparently the response but contained no such link at the end "for the other side". Didn't link to it because I didn't know it existed. Or maybe I am part of a big conspiracy to silence the hysterical hatred of Peters floating around because not linking to one article would have done the trick.

I simply ran across an article that I hadn't seen linked to here before so I added it to the pile. I sincerely apologize for posting a link to an article on a Buffalo Bills issue that hasn't been linked before on a Bills fan site full of links to articles on team issues. Don't know what I was thinking but clearly, that kind of shocking behaviour on my part deserved the high decibel responses herein.

So you scoured the intarwebs looking for data ... but managed to miss a story on the very same site, listed directly underneath the first one in the index. Sure, I believe that.

God, I'll be glad when this crusade ends.

Horrible article. Poorly written, reasoned and written by a hack retard fan.

"Hack retard fan"? You may want to rethink that. Dunne may still be in college (Syracuse J-school), but he's been a working sportswriter for at least four years: Olean Times Herald, May 20, 2005: Contracts mean little these days

Of course, Tyler may want to rethink his current position, if he re-reads this column he once wrote for the TH ...

"Of course, Tyler may want to rethink his current position, if he re-reads this column he once wrote for the TH ..."

of course people who think it's only the players who look for salary adjustments based on performance might want to talk to Willie Anderson

So you scoured the intarwebs looking for data ... but managed to miss a story on the very same site, listed directly underneath the first one in the index. Sure, I believe that.

God, I'll be glad when this crusade ends.

"Hack retard fan"? You may want to rethink that. Dunne may still be in college (Syracuse J-school), but he's been a working sportswriter for at least four years: Olean Times Herald, May 20, 2005: Contracts mean little these days

Of course, Tyler may want to rethink his current position, if he re-reads this column he once wrote for the TH ...

"Scour"???? Were you looking over my shoulder when I did the search? I am actually at my Dad's house today visiting and he uses a different browser and search engine, article was the first one that popped up on the search I did and I thought I never saw it before so I then went immediately to TBD and marched the pages back to July 25 to see if it was already linked. I was surprised to see that it hadn't already appeared. I might have noticed the links at the bottom if my Dad's fonts were set on "blind".

But you're right, it was all part of a diabolical plan, so fiendish in its conception, so heinous in its goals, with serpentine misdirections, so filled with demonic deceptions that only you with your superior dedication to truth, justice and the American way were able to unmask my vile and wicked plan. I would have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for you meddling kids. Curses.

By the way, I just went back to look at those links I missed at the bottom, here they are:

Related Stories

JASON PETERS DEBATE: Get to camp!

-by BuffaloFootballReport.com Jul 26, 2008

Bills Q&A With NFL Analyst Ed Thompson

-by ScoutNFLNetwork.com Aug 11, 2008

Game of hardball reaching climax

-by BuffaloFootballReport.com Aug 19, 2008

What about them indicates that they are a point-counterpoint to the article I linked as opposed to just "related stories"?

The August 19th article requires a subscription, do I have to pay the $8.95 to check it out in case it makes any points contrary to my view so that I won't be accused of hiding the truth if I don't quote it? Really Lori, I am well aware that my opinion is not the only one on this issue and certainly, around here, it is a minority view though I am hardly alone.

Oh you saw it, alright, li'l pardner. You've gone so far as to spend hours combing through all my posts about Peters, just to compile a list of all the really, really, really nasty things I've said about poor Jason. :worthy:

"Hates" is a very strong term, junior. I generally reserve my 'hatred' for murderers, rapists, child molesters, terrorists, and other filthy animals of that ilk.

Peters is just a big, fat, stupid football player who's lucky to have a modicum of agility and athleticism - just enough to move his overfed belly fast enough to earn vast sums of money for being big, fat, and stupid. That's no reason to hate him.

So no, I don't hate Jason Peters. Not at all. I despise his attitude, his ignorance, his arrogance, his ingratitude, his disloyalty, his selfishness - and while he may have been a good football player before he tore up his groin and let his body go to schitt, I'll never respect him as a man.

And every time you go begging to be his knob-gobbler or rave about the delicious taste of his rim cheese, I'll be right there to set you straight. B-)

You get more and more foaming at the mouth hysterical with every post. But no, you don't "hate" Peters now do you? Didn't take hours by the way, a search on your name and a few cut and pastes was all it took, its not like you have many posts that don't rant and rave about how much you hate Peters. I can't wait to hear you instruct me about how you despise him, think he is all these terrible, loathsome things but you don't "hate" him. The subtleties of your spleen venting are really fascinating.

:worthy:

Didn't have to go that far, plenty around here do. Funny though itsn't it, one little article by some guy hardly anyone ever heard of that disagrees with the Peters lynch mob hereaboute and look and the volume and venom in the reaction. Really, the over the top responses here show far better than I could just how irrationally angry some have become over this.

I actually do see why the team doesn't want to pay him this year. I disagree, but I don't think they are mentally challenged or have embarked on some sort of suicidal sabotage of the team's fortunes. I also think Peters has a very good argument that he should get an extension this year, a large one and I understand that the only leverage he has, the only leverage any player ever has is to withhold his services. Simple really. All these Peters haters however just have to villainize him and any one who defends him. Check Senator's posts, he couldn't put more venom in them if he tried.

Pat Williams left at the end of his contract. Was it a mistake to let him go? Yes, it was. Does it even remotely relate to the Peters situation? No, it does not.

Yeah, but he left because they wouldn't sign him to a new contract at the market price for a guy of his abilities. The Bills don't want to pay Peters the market price for a guy of his abilities either. Lots of other differences for certain, no need to post them all, I totally agree there are many differences but yeah, there are some similarities too.

I have to wonder if the volume of hate being leveled at Peters is really a function of just how important he is to this team which, ironically, is probably the exact argument Peters and his agent would like the chance to make to the team to justify a new deal. I don't think you would see this much belch and bile if it were Kirk Chambers holding out.

Mickey, when Jason returns to The Bills, his official roster picture will show you with a lip-lock on his love muscle.

Jesus H. Christ! give it a break!

Sure, as soon as all the "Peters is a Peckerhead" posts stop, I'll stop defending him. I guess you have missed the parts of my posts acknowledging that the team isn't exactly crazy for not wanting to cash in on the good bet they made two years ago even though I disagree with them?

Peters is, I believe, the league's last holdout. Most of the reports I've read indicate that even the guy's teammates think he's in the wrong on this one.

I won't say Peters is an idiot, because these guys only have a limited amount of time to earn all the money they can. But that being said, I think he's actually hurting his future earning potential. These holdouts almost always end badly, with the player coming back, usually out of shape, and getting either seriously injured or dinged up the whole season. therefore lowering his level of play, while increasing his reputation as a "problem".

I don't think Jason is a bad guy, just a guy getting bad advice.

Highlights:

So I suppose that Peters would have contacted the Bills and let them know he wanted a 2 million dollar paycut if he remained a backup tackle and never got into any games?

So I suppose that Peters would have contacted the Bills and let them know he wanted a 2 million dollar paycut if he remained a backup tackle and never got into any games?

No in that case the Bills would inform him he had to take a cut in pay or get cut off the team - just the same as Willie Anderson

You get more and more foaming at the mouth hysterical with every post. But no, you don't "hate" Peters now do you? Didn't take hours by the way, a search on your name and a few cut and pastes was all it took, its not like you have many posts that don't rant and rave about how much you hate Peters. I can't wait to hear you instruct me about how you despise him, think he is all these terrible, loathsome things but you don't "hate" him. The subtleties of your spleen venting are really fascinating.

ALL of my subtleties are fascinating, junior, but that's beside the point.

You're not so good with the English comprehension thing, I guess, and that's been fairly obvious throughout your crusade. I'll say it again - read it very slowly: I do not hate Jason Peters.

'I', 'do', 'not', and 'hate' are all monosyllabics, so which one is causing you the most difficulty? I'm sure Peters is a fun guy, probably a riot to be around and pound a few beers. In fact, quite likable, I'm sure. Lots of stupid people are still quite likable, despite their mental deficiencies.

That doesn't make what he's doing now - breaching his contract, showing contempt for the organization that gave him this huge opportunity and tons of money to play a game he's loved since he was a young kid, and abandoning the teammates that were counting on him to be there - any more 'right' or justified.

So don't turn this into a 'Senator hates Jason Peters' argument, just because you love his rim cheese. What I hate, and have said all along, is his selfishness, his greed, his laziness, his ingratitude, and his disloyalty to his teammates, the fans, and the organization that gave him this huge break, rewarded him handsomely, and made him who he is today - in terms of his football ability, not his stupidity.

I notice the article doesn't mention (even once) about Peters not showing up as being the major issue or even being a factor in the impasse. Sure he's underpaid, he deserves more money, the Bills have been hurting at that position for a decade, and it's arguably the toughest position to fill. But by refusing to communicate and participate, he ruins his chances and the team's ability to achieve success. That's what Mickey fails to see in his crusade.

If Peters comes to OBD, works hard, and delivers, but doesn't get the money, you will see a tidal wave of current supporters, (be they fans, players, or the media) switch sides and go against the Bills office.

Look, I can see that you obviously have a strong appreciation for homoerotic imagery, not that there is anything wrong with it, but really, couldn't you just PM that stuff to eachother?

Easy. In all these posts I have never attacked you personally. Just trying to have some fun. You should try it once in a while.