A Few One Sentence Observations

I thought we had terrible run blocking almost the entire game, which was the problem last year. There were 2-3 nice holes on spread formations and 4 WR but that was about it. The pass blocking, for the most part, was pretty darn good.

I wasn't watching it that close, but when Marshall Faulk said running backs had to "get skinny" in order to get yardage in narrow running lanes, (I think it was Wright) had a hole big enough to drive a semi through.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't watching it that close, but when Marshall Faulk said running backs had to "get skinny" in order to get yardage in narrow running lanes, (I think it was Wright) had a hole big enough to drive a semi through.

Yeah, I recall one each for Marshawn, Jackson, and Wright. There may have been one for Hall, too. And those were huge holes that all may have gained 10+ yards. And a few of those were spread formations, not run formations. Overall, I though the run blocking pretty much sucked on 80-85% of the plays.

1) I was more impressed with Chambers than any other Bills player last night.

I thought he played well too. Also looked good against Pittsburgh.

2) Poz is a monster and he is going to hurt somebody.

I am not seeing this just yet. Seems to bite on a lot of fakes. Needs some more experience.

3) JP played very well last night, but the sky ball to the fullback tells us that old habits die hard.

He struggles on the short passes/dumpoffs. He may get someone killed with those throws. Otherwise he played great.

9) OK, I admit it; Duke Preston didn't suck last night.

I am quite impressed with him this preseason and I have never been a fan.

Other thoughts:

Wendling and Barnes give us some hope on special teams. Barnes may not last long with some of those colissions but they are fun to watch. Wendling is

a great special teams guy already.

Youboty seems like a much more confident player this year. If not for Bills, he will play somewhere this year,

Fred Jackson is going to make some big plays this year. He runs to daylight better than any back on the roster.

McKelvin is nowhere near ready to contribute on defense. Hopefully he can contribute by October/November. Special teams for now.

1) I was more impressed with Chambers than any other Bills player last night.

2) Poz is a monster and he is going to hurt somebody.

3) JP played very well last night, but the sky ball to the fullback tells us that old habits die hard.

4) I think that for some reason, Trent has better chemistry with Reed than does JP.

5) Interestingly enough, Walker was given more help in terms of the TE than Chambers, or so it seemed to me.

6) I have a feeling that Kelsay is going to be quite productive this year.

7) Faulk said over and over that the players and coaches support Trent as the starter, but I think that the deal will be etched in stone when he can utilize Evans a bit more.

8) To all of the "Brandon Fans" I pose a question: Do you think that with Jason Peters, the Bills are a playoff possibility?

10) If Trent can play as well as he interviews, he will be a superstar. :wallbash:

11) J.P. COME HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8.I think we are a playoff possibility without Jason Peters. Our line has been very solid without him. Even JP who still holds the ball way too long and can not throw over the middle with any accuracy had time to scan the field 2 or 3 times before reluctantly letting go of the ball which still seems glued to his hand. Peters has bailed on his team. Do you really want someone like that playing for us? I sure as hell do not. It is time you get over Peters and move on to your next obsession. Besides, Demetrius Bell may very well turn out to be the next Jason Peters.

i agree with this too. it is too early to extend him right now. for all we know, we could go 5-11 this season. but it isnt too early to at least start talks and get an offer on the table.

i am in NO WAY saying we should lock him up now. just that, there is no reason to plan on letting him walk at the end of this season.

Why put an offer on the table unless you're willing to re-sign him? Marv Levy hired him, and I think the current front office wants to see something with what they've got before keeping him for another few years.

I thought we had terrible run blocking almost the entire game, which was the problem last year. There were 2-3 nice holes on spread formations and 4 WR but that was about it. The pass blocking, for the most part, was pretty darn good.

Indy may not have game planed, but they had 7-8 guys in the box all night...likely figuring the Bills were still a run-run-pass-punt offense.

I liked Turk's play calling a LOT in they way he took advantage of that over commitment.

Why put an offer on the table unless you're willing to re-sign him? Marv Levy hired him, and I think the current front office wants to see something with what they've got before keeping him for another few years.

because you dont let the entire last season of a contract go by without at least starting talks. just in case.

i didnt say make a HUGE offer (like thats going to happen anyways). but at least put something out there just to let both sides know where they stand.

A new coach doesn't mean rebuilding. A change in direction yes, but not necessarily rebuilding. Dallas last year was not in a rebuilding mode with their new coach.

It is true that a new coach doesn't mean rebuilding, but this is usually only the case for teams who are already having a great deal of success (San Diego, Dallas, etc.)

I think it would be a terrible decision to extend Jauron right now simply because it isn't necessary. The Bills have a lot of weapons and the most talent they have had in some time. But Jauron has never coached a team with this much young talent on it. We don't know either way if he is the guy yet. He has shown an ability to over-coach a lousy a team. But he hasn't shown any ability to take it to the next level. Why would we extend him right now, we could tank. I don't think we will but there isn't a lot of good reasons to do it now.

I've heard from multiple sources that Jauron is in the last year of his contract, signing him to an extension in such a situation makes sense.

Besides, Demetrius Bell may very well turn out to be the next Jason Peters.

Nothing would make me happier, but his footing looked poor. He will get thrown around in a real game, or so it would strongly appear. I wasn't seeing lots of balance.

Watching Estes was making me wince in pain. :wallbash:

We may not like it. Some might hate it, but Jason Peters is our best player.

A few one sentence observations:

Regarding our ball-hawking D, and efficient O: getting one or two turnovers in a single game can be blamed on the opponent's O; a +5 turnover ratio over 3 games, including the Steelers and Colts, cannot. Oh, and the D lead the league in INTs and are about 15-16th ranked overall = significant improvement.

Our starting D has given up one(1) TD to the opponents starting O in three games, and that was in the first game.

All that matters is: we were all sick to death when we thought Walker was seriously hurt.

OTOH, we might have good depth at O line, in terms of talent, but we certainly don't in terms of experience. Sometimes talent is enough, sometimes it's not.

All season, O line depth will be a minor annoyance at best, or a serious problem at worst, and we don't know which right now.

One thing i loved from watching last night

The offense moves no matter who is in there which is great to see

good point. its funny that "certain" posters recently bashed DJ for saying "i'm not trying to outcall someone. we need to line up and move the ball" (paraphrasing of course)

when in actuality, what we are seeing for the first time since Mularky and Fairchild, is an offense that isnt trying to "trick the other team into letting us move the ball". we're just lining up and playing football.

how dare Jauron (and Schonert) make a simple game simple again.

I've heard from multiple sources that Jauron is in the last year of his contract, signing him to an extension in such a situation makes sense.

Before you know if he is the right guy or not? I don't think that has been established yet. Jauron is a very loyal guy and seems to love it in Buffalo. If we have a good season this year, I would be shocked if he took his services elsewhere, trying to get the most money (although he is surely underpaid by NFL coaching standards). But certain coaches at all levels are good at building teams or getting under-talented teams to over-perform. But that doesn't at all mean that coach can take a talented team and win a championship. Those are completely different things. He has yet to show that he is a good game day coach. That stat provided yesterday that they didn't score a single TD in 32 tries in the last two minutes is horrifying. I just think it would be dumb to give him a few year extension right now. What if we go 5-11 this year? Then I would have to say that Jauron is clearly not the head coach for this team.