I'd like to see some of the Jauron bashers around here

eball

From this article by Clark Judge:

"My approach is very simple," said Jauron. "I'd like to find out what our guys do best and then do it. And do it consistently.

"I'm not a big believer in beating people with calls. I think you beat them with people. And then execution. Once you have enough skill accumulated, let them play.

"I don't really care what we run as long as we score. I couldn't care less what it looks like or the ratio of run-to-pass or those kinds of things. Anything that will score points is fine with me."

That's straight from the horse's mouth, folks. Really sounds like a guy who is too conservative and hamstrings his OC, doesn't it?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I'm not a big believer in beating people with calls. I think you beat them with people. And then execution. Once you have enough skill accumulated, let them play.

Fundamentally, I agree with this but the reality is the modern NFL uses very sophisticated offensive systems and defensive systems which requires you to beat people with calls. Against Cleveland last year, when we needed a touchdown at the end of the game, I saw three passes in the redzone that were thrown no where near the the endzone. Personnel is a huge component, obviously execution is important but so are the calls. That is why people like Shanahan are paid so much.

"My approach is very simple," said Jauron. "I'd like to find out what our guys do best and then do it. And do it consistently.

"I don't really care what we run as long as we score. I couldn't care less what it looks like or the ratio of run-to-pass or those kinds of things. Anything that will score points is fine with me."

That's straight from the horse's mouth, folks. Really sounds like a guy who is too conservative and hamstrings his OC, doesn't it?

They've had the 30th ranked offense in 2006 and in 2007. He should start caring about actually scoring, instead of explaining why he doesn't care how it's done. So, to sum up his two seasons in Buffalo, he clearly hasn't figured out what his guys do best, he certainly hasn't figured out how to score, and he's going to take the same approach this year, hoping they've "accumulated enough skill." I'm not a Jauron "basher," but it's a comment like that after back-to-back losing seasons that should make people wonder if he's really capable of getting the job done. Kind of sounds like he's calling out his players, too.

Fundamentally, I agree with this but the reality is the modern NFL uses very sophisticated offensive systems and defensive systems which requires you to beat people with calls. Against Cleveland last year, when we needed a touchdown at the end of the game, I saw three passes in the redzone that were thrown no where near the the endzone. Personnel is a huge component, obviously execution is important but so are the calls. That is why people like Shanahan are paid so much.

I agree. Modern football is more like an extremely complicated game of chess than it is backyard two hand touch.

They've had the 30th ranked offense in 2006 and in 2007. He should start caring about actually scoring, instead of explaining why he doesn't care how it's done. So, to sum up his two seasons in Buffalo, he clearly hasn't figured out what his guys do best, he certainly hasn't figured out how to score, and he's going to take the same approach this year, hoping they've "accumulated enough skill." I'm not a Jauron "basher," but it's a comment like that after back-to-back losing seasons that should make people wonder if he's really capable of getting the job done. Kind of sounds like he's calling out his players, too.

He wasnt the play caller for those seasons...thats what the OC was for

These quotes would indicate that you think that he is smart. Look, of course he is smart! He is a freaking Yale Grad! Listen to Trent; he too is smart, and this is a great thing.

I think that the fans/posters who have issues with Jauron have them based on his philosophy. He plays "not to lose," and believes in building a team from the secondary. The very nature of this looks ass backwards to me.

I am not as smart as Jauron. Neither are most NFL coaches. That said, nobody seemed to want him when Levy hired him. I hope that he is able to make his philosophy work, and that he will lead this team to the playoffs. His draft in 07 was splendid imo, as were his free agent signings. We need more of this, and a playoff appearance. Jauron even said as much, ya know?

Words are well, just words. Isn't it ironic how this is touted as the real Jauron, yet this sort of post would never have appeared after the MNF debacle, or the Cleveland game when the real DJ was apparent. IMO, Jauron's history as a coach demonstrates more of cross-section than an interview with Clark Judge. And until I see success on the field, it's hard to be a Jauron fan, nice sound-bite or not.

I'm also fine with his low-key persona, but there were times last season when the team lost focus and seemed unmotivated. Additionally, some of his post-game press conferences left a lot to be desired. These were his first comments after the loss to Philly in the season finale:

"Offensively we did a pretty good job of not turning (the ball) over. I think the fact that we didn't turn the ball over today at all, and didn't have very many penalties in that football game, kept us in the game."

That sort of talk doesn't cut it, and fails to take responsibility for the team's failures. I understand he's got a young team and wants to keep the morale up, but avoiding the problems that dogged them all season long isn't the way to do it.

I don't have anything personal against the man, but his style of coaching has produced little in 7+ seasons. And until there are results, such as a playoff appearance and perhaps a win in the post-season, it's going to be tough to keep believing he's got the answers beyond words.

Is that why he likes Edwards better even though the offense has proven to score fewer points led by Edwards?

Is Jauron now some kind of expert with his 50-67 career record.

Hey, is this Ralph Wilson?

His demeanor alone makes you wonder if he is the guy who can inspire a bunch of individuals to play and succeed as a team, and believe that they have what it takes to be a successful team. I'm not looking for the "rah rah" coach necessarily...It just seems when the Bills are clearly an underdog, they come out and play like they expect to be the 2nd-best team on the field. I can only imagine Dick's pregame speech, monotone, talking about punting it deep and sticking close till the end....

So far, I have had occasional disagreements with some of Dickie J's in-game management, but overall, I can't really complain. His Bills teams have overcome some difficult times, and they haven't given up on a season like they did under some recent regimes. The locker room appears solid and players usually say the right things behind their coach.

He's had two seasons where the talent pool was being developed, and I believe Dick and his staff have done a pretty good job as coaches. This year it's time to step up into the next level in the conference...Win a few tough games...Make a "legit" playoff push, not the "not yet mathematically eliminated" playoff pushes of the past two years...In the Ralph vs. Seattle on 9/7 will be a good place to start...Maybe a ballsy 4th down pickup ordered by Dickie J to seal the game!!!

Is that why he likes Edwards better even though the offense has proven to score fewer points led by Edwards?

Is Jauron now some kind of expert with his 50-67 career record.

Hey, is this Ralph Wilson?

Do you really think J.P. Losman is one of the top 20 QBs in the league? News flash: he ain't, and he never will be. I mean, seriously -- you don't need to be a rocket surgeon to figure that out. The upshot: time to move on. I like him personally, however, and would hope that he'd agree to stay on as a backup. I do realize, of course, that this will never happen.

Anybody else see click on the video link?

You see that QB draw play they called? :unsure: Since when is TE a running QB? I am all for calling non-standard plays in situations, misdirection, and getting mismatches off of motions and shifts, but QB draw? Perhaps they liked what they saw on Tuesday.

That's ballsy. Not sure how I feel about that. But, making teams worry about another dimension to the offense can't be a bad thing I guess. Too much to hope that opposing Ds have to spy a LB on Edwards I suppose.

The responses are about what I'd expect. Those of you who have Jauron pigeonholed into a certain "philosophy" just don't know what you're talking about. He doesn't call the plays, and he doesn't demand a certain style of playcalling. He wants and expects his coordinators to find the players' strengths and then play to them.

This baloney about Jauron believing you build a team from the secondary is just that -- baloney. I'd like to see ONE quote from Jauron that supports this ridiculous assertion, because merely pointing to draft picks decided by a committee doesn't cut it.

Clearly, the team the Bills take to the field in 2008 is light years beyond the team that took the field in 2006. Jauron is blamed for taking too many DBs, but doesn't get the credit for the overall improvement in the roster? Make up your mind, Bill (and others). The organization under Levy/Brandon/Jauron has done exactly what they should -- build the talent base. Fairchild was a poor choice at OC to implement Jauron's REAL philosophy, and for that Jauron deserves blame. Certainly, Perry Fewell and Bobby April appear to be decent coordinators, and it looks like Schonert may be the OC who finally "gets it" with respect to finding and playing to the players' strengths. Of course, Jauron won't get credit for any success that occurs.

I really don't understand why so many of you seem to WANT Jauron to fail -- where does this come from? Your comments are irrational and don't take into account all the factors that determine a team's success. It's hilarious, or perhaps pathetic, that some of you actually place blame on Jauron for his comments at a postgame press conference -- as if that means anything to anyone.

I have come to the unfortunate conclusion that if the Bills are successful this year, you'll determine it was because the players succeeded in spite of Jauron. If they fail, it will be the result of Jauron's failings. Such are the arguments of the unreasonable. I believe Jauron's words speak for themselves, and are indicative of a very intelligent man who also knows a lot about football.

"

As somebody has already posted:

Talk is cheap.

The Bills were 30th in points scored last year.

Since Jauron made little to no effort to correct the problem during the year, he must have been 'happy' with the way the offense was scoring.

I think that the fans/posters who have issues with Jauron have them based on his philosophy. He plays "not to lose,"

I feel he's never been in position to be more aggressive in his offensive approach. To do so with the quarterbacks and offensive players he's had would decrease the chances of winning. He's just had no offensive talent in all his years of a coaching. As a result he runs a very conservative approach which helps average talent win. I can't imagine what our record would have been the last two years if we opened it up as much as some people want. We either didn't have the talent, we didn't have the experience, or we didn't have both. We don't need to be Fairchild asleep, but I don't think DJ wants that either.

and believes in building a team from the secondary. The very nature of this looks ass backwards to me.

I agree that fundamentally the strength of a team is it's lines, but no evidence supports that drafting lineman makes you successful. The only thing that makes you successful is drafting good players. We keep doing that and we will be fine.

The responses are about what I'd expect. Those of you who have Jauron pigeonholed into a certain "philosophy" just don't know what you're talking about. He doesn't call the plays, and he doesn't demand a certain style of playcalling. He wants and expects his coordinators to find the players' strengths and then play to them.

This baloney about Jauron believing you build a team from the secondary is just that -- baloney. I'd like to see ONE quote from Jauron that supports this ridiculous assertion, because merely pointing to draft picks decided by a committee doesn't cut it.

Clearly, the team the Bills take to the field in 2008 is light years beyond the team that took the field in 2006. Jauron is blamed for taking too many DBs, but doesn't get the credit for the overall improvement in the roster? Make up your mind, Bill (and others). The organization under Levy/Brandon/Jauron has done exactly what they should -- build the talent base. Fairchild was a poor choice at OC to implement Jauron's REAL philosophy, and for that Jauron deserves blame. Certainly, Perry Fewell and Bobby April appear to be decent coordinators, and it looks like Schonert may be the OC who finally "gets it" with respect to finding and playing to the players' strengths. Of course, Jauron won't get credit for any success that occurs.

I really don't understand why so many of you seem to WANT Jauron to fail -- where does this come from? Your comments are irrational and don't take into account all the factors that determine a team's success. It's hilarious, or perhaps pathetic, that some of you actually place blame on Jauron for his comments at a postgame press conference -- as if that means anything to anyone.

I have come to the unfortunate conclusion that if the Bills are successful this year, you'll determine it was because the players succeeded in spite of Jauron. If they fail, it will be the result of Jauron's failings. Such are the arguments of the unreasonable. I believe Jauron's words speak for themselves, and are indicative of a very intelligent man who also knows a lot about football.

So what you are saying is that Jauron is basically like the kid who sets up the pieces on that game with the metal football field and just watches them vibrate to see what happens. To think that he has no say during a game is rediculous. I want him to have a say. Heck, I'll take him just throwing a review flag once in a while. At least then I know he's watching the game.

I agree that he/they have put together a much better team and I really want him to succeed, But I saw too many things the last two years during games that really had me scratching my head and can think of two maybe three games where I believe we were outcoached. What is it that you have seen in him during games that makes you think he is the coach that will get us to the playoffs. If his only skill is assembling a great team then he should be a general manager, not a coach.

I don't care what he says...I can say I'm a world-class sprinter, it doesn't mean sh-- on the track.

I only care about what he does...and the simple fact is that in the guy's coaching career he's put together one winning season, based on an overall strategy of "make sure you're competitive in the final two minutes." He consistently coaches 58 minutes of "Don't lose" ball, followed by two minutes of "play to compete" ball. It's a bull sh-- strategy.

For example, how many games were the Patriots last year "competitive in" within the final two minutes? The answer: four. Because they beat the living hell out of their opponents the other twelve games. Don't necessarily need to be "competitive in the final two minutes" if you're playing to win in the other 58.

But hell...it's a strategy that consistently generates sub-.500 results. So I'm sure it'll work wonders this year. :unsure:

As somebody has already posted:

Talk is cheap.

The Bills were 30th in points scored last year.

Since Jauron made little to no effort to correct the problem during the year, he must have been 'happy' with the way the offense was scoring.

Please explain how "firing the guy running the show and making 100% of the decisions" equates to "little to no effort to correct the problem." Thank you.

Not "hamstringing" your OC by pulling in the reigns, and not letting out the reigns when the reigns clearly needed to be let out, like in the middle of last year, are equal offenses and faults. Jauron has a responsibility to let his OC do his job, but when that OC is clearly not doing his job, he has an equal responsibility to do something to fix it, and not idly watch the ship sink. He just sat and watched the ship sink. Unless he was complicit, and then we are in bigger trouble.