I'd like to see some of the Jauron bashers around here

eball

From this article by Clark Judge:

"My approach is very simple," said Jauron. "I'd like to find out what our guys do best and then do it. And do it consistently.

"I'm not a big believer in beating people with calls. I think you beat them with people. And then execution. Once you have enough skill accumulated, let them play.

"I don't really care what we run as long as we score. I couldn't care less what it looks like or the ratio of run-to-pass or those kinds of things. Anything that will score points is fine with me."

That's straight from the horse's mouth, folks. Really sounds like a guy who is too conservative and hamstrings his OC, doesn't it?

Show me. I don't care what he says.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another thing...where is this conservative, play-not-to-lose label coming from?

I remember a team that would forego field goals in order to go for it on 4th down as early as the 1st quarter of games. I remember a team that, in last year's season opener against Denver, attempted a deep ball to Evans on a 3rd and short to try to win the game right there, rather than try to grind out a 1st down and keep the clock moving.

The OPINIONS are that Jauron is a conservative, timid, almost nervous and fearful coach, and runs his team accordingly. The FACTS are that last season, his team had the 11th most 4th down attempts despite being 27th in total time of possession.

Taking more risks than the majority despite less chances to take them...how does that fit the "58 minutes of 'don't lose' ball" mold that many of his detractors repeatedly tell us he falls into?

"My approach is very simple," said Jauron. "I'd like to find out what our guys do best and then do it. And do it consistently.

"I'm not a big believer in beating people with calls. I think you beat them with people. And then execution. Once you have enough skill accumulated, let them play.

"I don't really care what we run as long as we score. I couldn't care less what it looks like or the ratio of run-to-pass or those kinds of things. Anything that will score points is fine with me."

That's straight from the horse's mouth, folks. Really sounds like a guy who is too conservative and hamstrings his OC, doesn't it?

Words, words and more words. The results have been there on the field for all to see. The worst offense in the history of the franchise. Nothing he says will erase that.

The FACTS are that last season, his team had the 11th most 4th down attempts despite being 27th in total time of possession.

Taking more risks than the majority despite less chances to take them...how does that fit the "58 minutes of 'don't lose' ball" mold that many of his detractors repeatedly tell us he falls into?

When you're losing at the end of games, you tend to go for it on 4th down.

It a strange issue...I can easily see what his detractors don't like about him, and I can easily see the qualities his supporters like.

Coming out of the previous two disaster hires, with a gutted young roster, I think Jauron was the right guy for the job. 14-16 over the past two years, with this roster and all the injuries and the young QBs, is certainly more than respectable.

However, when you have a team that is SUPPOSED to be 11-5 and make some noise, can Jauron be that guy to elevate them into the discussion with the Pats and Colts and Chargers? Personally, I don't think he can. Players make the plays, I fully realize that. But a team often takes on the identity of their coach. If the Bills take on the identity of Jauron, I see them curling up with a good book at halftime and then taking a nap.

Another thing...where is this conservative, play-not-to-lose label coming from?

I remember a team that would forego field goals in order to go for it on 4th down as early as the 1st quarter of games. I remember a team that, in last year's season opener against Denver, attempted a deep ball to Evans on a 3rd and short to try to win the game right there, rather than try to grind out a 1st down and keep the clock moving.

The OPINIONS are that Jauron is a conservative, timid, almost nervous and fearful coach, and runs his team accordingly. The FACTS are that last season, his team had the 11th most 4th down attempts despite being 27th in total time of possession.

A team as desparate for points as we were last year has no choice but to go for it on 4th down whenever they have a drive that stalls just outside of FG range. It was the worst offense in the history of the franchise. That is a FACT. There is no statistic you can cite that will change that.

I remember a team that, in last year's season opener against Denver, attempted a deep ball to Evans on a 3rd and short to try to win the game right there, rather than try to grind out a 1st down and keep the clock moving.

I said then and I will say it now.

That was one of the worst play calls of the year. :unsure:

That cost them the game.

Get the first and burn the clock.

Please explain how "firing the guy running the show and making 100% of the decisions" equates to "little to no effort to correct the problem." Thank you.

Are you talking about Fairchild?

1.) Newsflash: Fairchild was NOT fired. I know the apologists want to believe that, but, sorry, it is not true.

2.) What steps did Jauron take during the year in attempt to correct the abortion of an offense? or Out of a 16 game season, how many games does the HC wait before taking action to correct a major problem?

Actually, I'm a believer in this. I've been doing a little unscientific study on this years' team vs. our best ever teams re: how many players on each side of the ball were/would be starters on any other team:

'64 AFL Champs: OL - 3 (Bemiller, Shaw, Barber), TE - 1 (Warlick), QB- 1/1.5(Kemp/Lamonica), RB- 1 (Gilchrest), WR- 1 (Dubenion)

DL -3 (Dunaway, McDole, Sestak) LB -2 (Jacobs, Stratton), CB -1(Byrd) S-1 (Saimes)

Total= 7 Offense, 7 Defense

'91 AFC Champs: OL - 4 (Hull, Ritcher, Ballard, Wolford) TE - 0, QB - 1(Kelly), RB -1 (Thomas) WR -2 (Reed, Lofton)

DL - 2-(Hansen, Smith) LB - 3 (Talley, Conlan, Bennett), CB -1 (Odomes) S- 1 (Jones)

Total= 8 offense, 7 defense

'08 team: OL- 3 (Walker, Dockery, Peters), TE -0, QB -0, RB -1 (Lynch), WR -1 (Evans)

DL - 2 (Schoebel, Stroud) LB- 1.5 (Poz, Mitchell) CB - .5 (pick em), S- 1 (Whitner)

Total= 5 Offense, 5 Defense

Again, unscientific -I didn't poll league GM's, but I think it's accurate and says we are getting very close to a very competitve team and it bodes well that Jauron appears to sees this as well with his statements.

Go Bills!

Talking and implementing are two completely different things.

The Bills better win 9 games this season or Jauron can pack it up.

That was pretty much Levy's approach during the glory years of the 90's. There wasn't a huge playbook with tons of trickery and so forth. They had a few base plays that they executed to perfection. Nobody could stop them because of the mismatches in personnel.

Hell, if you have one play you can run effectively everytime, that's all you need. It's all about skill level, matchups, and execution.

Obviously, in the real world, there will be injuries and other factors that come into play, but an overly-complicated playbook can hurt the offense more than it helps. Better to have 20 plays perfected than 100 that they can execute "fairly well".

I'll respond. Dick Jauron is a big dumb idiot if he doesn't believe in beating people with calls. In fact you need BOTH to be a successful head coach. Which explains to me why Jauron has been a failure as a head coach for such a long time. It's amazing he actually said that. I think he's talking from the other end of the horse.

I wish I could ask him a couple follow up questions...

"Hey coach, did you not know that Marshawn Lynch was an excellent pass catcher? It was clear to me that it's one of the things he does best, yet he only had a measly 18 receptions last year. This was the main guy in our offense and you did not follow your creed of finding out what your guys do best and then do it and do it consistently. Explain yourself."

I don't care what he says...I can say I'm a world-class sprinter, it doesn't mean sh-- on the track.

I only care about what he does...and the simple fact is that in the guy's coaching career he's put together one winning season, based on an overall strategy of "make sure you're competitive in the final two minutes." He consistently coaches 58 minutes of "Don't lose" ball, followed by two minutes of "play to compete" ball. It's a bull sh-- strategy.

For example, how many games were the Patriots last year "competitive in" within the final two minutes? The answer: four. Because they beat the living hell out of their opponents the other twelve games. Don't necessarily need to be "competitive in the final two minutes" if you're playing to win in the other 58.

But hell...it's a strategy that consistently generates sub-.500 results. So I'm sure it'll work wonders this year. :rolleyes:

Agreed 150% with the sentiments of DC Tom. Dick Jauron is CONSERVATIVE. I don't care how many statistics you can pull out claiming otherwise (the 4th down conversion one already being debunked by Mickey - well done!), Jauron's style is to play not to lose. I know, the rest of the league knows, even my grandma has figured it out. It's a pathetic, ball-less approach to football and I hate it. I would rather go down swinging then go down limping like the Bills did in far too many games under Jauron's leadership.

I am not wishing failure on the Bills, but they will NEVER win a SB under Jauron. Nobody wins a Super Bowl hoping not to lose it. That's why his 13-3 Bears (a team my friend was on) bit the big one hard in their first playoff game.

Agreed 150% with the sentiments of DC Tom. Dick Jauron is CONSERVATIVE. I don't care how many statistics you can pull out claiming otherwise (the 4th down conversion one already being debunked by Mickey - well done!), Jauron's style is to play not to lose. I know, the rest of the league knows, even my grandma has figured it out. It's a pathetic, ball-less approach to football and I hate it. I would rather go down swinging then go down limping like the Bills did in far too many games under Jauron's leadership.

I am not wishing failure on the Bills, but they will NEVER win a SB under Jauron. Nobody wins a Super Bowl hoping not to lose it. That's why his 13-3 Bears (a team my friend was on) bit the big one hard in their first playoff game.

He didn't debunk anything, cause if Jauron was conservative, he would go for the points and just try to get the Ball back again instead of going for it. In the Denver game he went for the kill while the Bills had the lead, along with the Dallas game. If he was so afraid and scared and conservative, he would go for the easy points or just try to run the clock out which he didn't.

Did anyone not read the line where he talks about having the talent/skill accumulated? We are talking about a coach in the 1st 2 years of a complete rebuilding process with one of the youngest teams in the league and alot of attempted "stop Gaps" in the lineup, and last year a bunch of guys who started the season on their couches at home. I would hardly say they had alot of talent/skill accumulated at that point.

And he doesn't say that you don't occasionally beat them with calls, just that he believes that you beat them with better players. You can call a great call, but you need to have the players to execute the play for it to work. He does not believe that there is a science to playing football. No direct correlation between running a certain amount of passing or running plays, or running a certain play on a certain down to win a game. He believes that having good players even running simple basic plays will win games in the league

Sure its all talk at this point, everything is at the moment. But the talk so far is pointing to them understanding what went wrong in the past and what to do to fix it. Its good to see that he wants to score, and doesn't care how as long as they do it. Everyone's making it sound like he sat there and enjoyed the fact that the Bills couldn't score last year and that it is all part of his elaborate scheme

On the contrary...

A team as desparate for points as we were last year has no choice but to go for it on 4th down whenever they have a drive that stalls just outside of FG range. It was the worst offense in the history of the franchise. That is a FACT. There is no statistic you can cite that will change that.

Everyone knows the offense was a disgrace. I wouldn't try to change that.

But if Jauron was the timid and nervous head coach many claim he is, he wouldn't have the sack to go for it on 4th down more often than 21 other head coaches, despite being 27th in time of possession. He'd settle for field goals.

And he wouldn't

Jauron simply isn't the coach his haters dream that he is.

and Juarons decision last year to not the the quarterbacks audible on the line last year when 11 people on the defense were standing on the line of scrimmage was disgraceful. You could blame that on fairchild, but juaron let him do it