I'd like to see some of the Jauron bashers around here

eball

But if Jauron was the timid and nervous head coach many claim he is, he wouldn't have the sack to go for it on 4th down more often than 21 other head coaches, despite being 27th in time of possession. He'd settle for field goals.

And he wouldn't fake punts on his own side of the field in the 1st quarter.

Jauron simply isn't the coach his haters dream that he is.

Flashback to the home game versus the Jets last September. Buffalo had a fourth and goal from the one yard line when out trotted the field goal unit in what proved to be a 17-14 Bills win. I vividly remember the crowd going crazy and DJ called a timeout with 7 minutes remaining.

Jauron did not want to go for it on fourth and goal, but yielded after taking a TO. That's the DJ I've seen from the first row of 123 for the past two years. When they finally decided to go for it, Edwards ran a PA pass to Gaines for the score. Previous to this, Buffalo had run five times in a row (with a Vilma 15 yard facemask penalty) to get the Bills into the RZ.

I can't imagine the final result of the game had Buffalo kicked the FG.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flashback to the home game versus the Jets last September. Buffalo had a fourth and goal from the one yard line when out trotted the field goal unit in what proved to be a 17-14 Bills win. I vividly remember the crowd going crazy and DJ called a timeout with 7 minutes remaining.

Jauron did not want to go for it on fourth and goal, but yielded after taking a TO. That's the DJ I've seen from the first row of 123 for the past two years. When they finally decided to go for it, Edwards ran a PA pass to Gaines for the score. Previous to this, Buffalo had run five times in a row (with a Vilma 15 yard facemask penalty) to get the Bills into the RZ.

I can't imagine the final result of the game had Buffalo kicked the FG.

So...whats your complaint? :rolleyes:

You're right. Good thing our head coach isn't too conservative to go for it.

So...whats your complaint? :rolleyes:

You're right. Good thing our head coach isn't too conservative to go for it.

DJ had to take a TO to think about going for it. On a fourth and goal from the one.

He gives the impression that he's focused on the negative outcome and waffles when big decisions need to be made. This is one example of indecision on the sideline, and pre-season banter with Clark Judge won't remove real world examples from the previous two seasons.

If it weren't for two awful HC's before DJ, his reputation wouldn't be as golden to some Bills fans. When there isn't anyone in recent memory who performed well, subsequent HC's don't have high expectations, as evidenced by the pro-DJ faction here.

DJ had to take a TO to think about going for it. On a fourth and goal from the one.

He gives the impression that he's focused on the negative outcome and waffles when big decisions need to be made. This is one example of indecision on the sideline, and pre-season banter with Clark Judge won't remove real world examples from the previous two seasons.

If it weren't for two awful HC's before DJ, his reputation wouldn't be as golden to some Bills fans. When there isn't anyone in recent memory who performed well, subsequent HC's don't have high expectations, as evidenced by the pro-DJ faction here.

I'm not pro-DJ, I'm pro-Bills. And I'm anti-those-who-are-unjustifiably-anti-DJ. You dipschits keep making stuff up to support your profound distaste for the Bills' head coach. You just attempted to rationalize yet another unsubstantiated Jauron "philosophy" -- that he's overly conservative -- because he dared call a TO before going on 4th and goal from the one. It's too bad you can't sit back and see how utterly ridiculous that is.

I'm through arguing with you knuckleheads.

I'm not pro-DJ, I'm pro-Bills. And I'm anti-those-who-are-unjustifiably-anti-DJ. You dipschits keep making stuff up to support your profound distaste for the Bills' head coach. You just attempted to rationalize yet another unsubstantiated Jauron "philosophy" -- that he's overly conservative -- because he dared call a TO before going on 4th and goal from the one. It's too bad you can't sit back and see how utterly ridiculous that is.

I'm through arguing with you knuckleheads.

Seriously. You said it better than I could have.

'Vet, I just don't know how to answer that. I'm saying Jauron isn't the tentative, conservative coach people claim he is...and you come back saying real-world examples don't support my stance...and then you point to an instance where Jauron made the right call...and better yet, you agree that Jauron made the right call. I'm speechless.

Seriously. You said it better than I could have.

'Vet, I just don't know how to answer that. I'm saying Jauron isn't the tentative, conservative coach people claim he is...and you come back saying real-world examples don't support my stance...and then you point to an instance where Jauron made the right call...and better yet, you agree that Jauron made the right call. I'm speechless.

I used the example to demonstrate indecisiveness. Only when the crowd got worked up did DJ finally make the call to go for it.

eball raised this topic, and now acts as though anyone who doesn't believe as he does is an idiot. That sort of heavy-handed mentality is what I don't understand.

DJ's the HC this year. That will not change. I'm willing to give him another year, but based on the Chicago years, I'm not optimistic. As much as I'm pro-Bills, I'm also a realist. Until DJ proves me wrong, I'm going to go the doubting Thomas route.

I used the example to demonstrate indecisiveness. Only when the crowd got worked up did DJ finally make the call to go for it.

eball raised this topic, and now acts as though anyone who doesn't believe as he does is an idiot. That sort of heavy-handed mentality is what I don't understand.

DJ's the HC this year. That will not change. I'm willing to give him another year, but based on the Chicago years, I'm not optimistic. As much as I'm pro-Bills, I'm also a realist. Until DJ proves me wrong, I'm going to go the doubting Thomas route.

So we know that the only reason that DJ went for it in that case was because the fans got worked up???

I raised the topic specifically because Jauron's statements show that the Jauron-bashers have nothing substantive upon which to base their comments that Jauron is "overly conservative" or "controls the play-calling." If you're calling Jauron a liar for what he said to Clark Judge, then come right out and say it. I don't give a crap about what Jauron did with the Bears, just like I didn't care what Marv Levy did with the Chiefs or Wade Phillips did with the Broncos. Coaches grow and evolve just like professionals in any other occupation. The first two teams of DJ's tenure here were talent poor -- there is NO other way to look at it. Both of those teams were competitive, however, even when they had no right to be. The situation appears to be different going into the 2008 season, and it boggles my mind that so many of you have no ability to rationally analyze these facts.

Do you ACTUALLY think Jauron only went for it because of the fans? A Yale graduate, who has spent 30+ seasons in the NFL, is deferring to a bunch of drunks? Thats your opinion?

Do you ACTUALLY think Jauron only went for it because of the fans? A Yale graduate, who has spent 30+ seasons in the NFL, is deferring to a bunch of drunks? Thats your opinion?

It's another indefensible position taken by a DJ-basher, BBB.

Is that why he likes Edwards better even though the offense has proven to score fewer points led by Edwards?

Is Jauron now some kind of expert with his 50-67 career record.

Hey, is this Ralph Wilson?

Could you please tell me what Norv Turner's record was prior to going to San Diego and making the AFC title game? The only thing that separates Turner and Jauron as head coaches is that Turner has had one year as a head coach with what isn't universally known as a woeful franchise.

On the contrary...

Everyone knows the offense was a disgrace. I wouldn't try to change that.

But if Jauron was the timid and nervous head coach many claim he is, he wouldn't have the sack to go for it on 4th down more often than 21 other head coaches, despite being 27th in time of possession. He'd settle for field goals.

And he wouldn't

Jauron simply isn't the coach his haters dream that he is.

Would it make you feel better if we substituted "bad" for "conservative"?? The results were a disgrace, period. I don't think he had the "sack", he just had no choice but to take those risks if we were to score at all. A lot of those 4ths, and fakes, were situations where the choice was punt or go for it, not punt or kick a FG. Check the stats on how often we ran the ball compared to other teams. The word "conservative" will surely leap off the page. But if it bothers you, fine, lets just say he is bad. I don't think, by the way, it is fair to call those of us who have concerns about Jauron to be "haters". That is over the top, melodramatic, trite, and unjustified. The guy fielded the worst offense in the history of the franchise and believe me, as a fan since 1966, I have seen them field some pretty pathetic offenses. You would have to be basically delusional not to think there is cause for concern over whether Jauron should have a long future with this team.

They've had the 30th ranked offense in 2006 and in 2007.

IMO, they had the personnel to be the 30th ranked offense as well.

The quick banishment of WM, the aggressive spending on o-line FAs, and rapid ascent of Edwards from third round clipboard holder to starter were the first steps in addressing the problem. The addition of a viable #2 WR and rehab of Royal's knee should change that talent deficit this year...

IMO, they had the personnel to be the 30th ranked offense as well.

The quick banishment of WM, the aggressive spending on o-line FAs, and rapid ascent of Edwards from third round clipboard holder to starter were the first steps in addressing the problem. The addition of a viable #2 WR and rehab of Royal's knee should change that talent deficit this year...

Say what you want... Willis was a tool. Lynch is a Major upgrade!

EDIT: And that's sayin alot cuz WM is pretty good.

I assume we are talking about the Jet game? That was not only the right call, it was a pretty easy call to make under the circumstances.

Prior to Greer's pick, the Jets had just driven 78 yards in 7 plays against our very much depleted defense and on their possession before that, had gone over 60 yards to our 19 before missing a chip shot FG they were forced to take only because the half ran out.

We were on the one yard line. Even if we don't get the TD, they get the ball back in the hole with a loud crowd so there was at least a fair chance that we could hold them and get it right back. A FG at that time would have given us only a 6 point lead, its still a one score game and our defense was down to street free agents to fill the roster. Given how the Jets were moving the ball at that point and the condition of our defense, you didn't need a crystal ball to conclude that a FG wasn't going to be enough to win it.

Sure enough, the Jets went 64 yards in 11 plays for a TD that, had we kicked the FG, would have given them the lead. They then held us without a first down and got the ball back with 1:43 left and a time out left. Plenty of time to get close enough for a FG. They had a first and 10 at our 39, arguably already close enough for a FG that would have tied it. Fortunately for us, the limp armed Pennington underthrew a sideline fade designed to be complete and out of bounds or just out of bounds which enabled McGee to make the game winning play.

I give Jauron credit for making the right call but it wasn't all that much of a gamble. While you are praising his daring-do for that call, remember that we started that drive on the Jet 25 and were assisted by a 15 yard face mask call and yet still needed 4 downs to get it in. And as for the "too conservative" charge, you might note that we ran the ball up the gut with Lynch on first down, on second down and on third down which is why we needed a 4th down to get it in. Not exactly what I would call a bold play selection.

It's another indefensible position taken by a DJ-basher, BBB.

We are very upset today, aren't we? Take it for what it's worth, but we're all entitled to our own opinions. This ain't China.

If you want to place a lot of faith in a coach with a 50-67 career record, then fine. It's unlikely to believe he's the guy who, after 7 years is going to suddenly become a great coach. Frankly, I need to see more before I have faith in the guy. I'd like to know why you both go to bat for this guy, especially after one article where he says some feel-good things. Pardon me for being a little doubtful until I see it on the field.

Your posts make it seem like no one's allowed to criticize DJ. It sounds like you're asking us to shut up about his prior shortcomings and be pro-Bills, no matter who the coach is. And for the record, I never called him a liar. He's posturing and giving a sound-bite because it's pre-season, and who knows what's really going on. Do you believe everything you read and hear?

Mickey outlined the example I earlier used regarding the Jets game. I was there, and have video of the offensive players half on the field, unsure of whether or not they would go for it or not. Jauron wanted to send the FG unit onto the field, but had to take a TO when the play clock went down. What about that isn't indecisive?

eball, if you want to solicit people's opinions, be prepared to get ones you don't want. Deal with it.

eball, if you want to solicit people's opinions, be prepared to get ones you don't want. Deal with it.

Go re-read post #48 of this thread. If you still don't understand, I can't help you.

Cheers. :rolleyes:

I assume we are talking about the Jet game? That was not only the right call, it was a pretty easy call to make under the circumstances.

Prior to Greer's pick, the Jets had just driven 78 yards in 7 plays against our very much depleted defense and on their possession before that, had gone over 60 yards to our 19 before missing a chip shot FG they were forced to take only because the half ran out.

We were on the one yard line. Even if we don't get the TD, they get the ball back in the hole with a loud crowd so there was at least a fair chance that we could hold them and get it right back. A FG at that time would have given us only a 6 point lead, its still a one score game and our defense was down to street free agents to fill the roster. Given how the Jets were moving the ball at that point and the condition of our defense, you didn't need a crystal ball to conclude that a FG wasn't going to be enough to win it.

Sure enough, the Jets went 64 yards in 11 plays for a TD that, had we kicked the FG, would have given them the lead. They then held us without a first down and got the ball back with 1:43 left and a time out left. Plenty of time to get close enough for a FG. They had a first and 10 at our 39, arguably already close enough for a FG that would have tied it. Fortunately for us, the limp armed Pennington underthrew a sideline fade designed to be complete and out of bounds or just out of bounds which enabled McGee to make the game winning play.

I give Jauron credit for making the right call but it wasn't all that much of a gamble. While you are praising his daring-do for that call, remember that we started that drive on the Jet 25 and were assisted by a 15 yard face mask call and yet still needed 4 downs to get it in. And as for the "too conservative" charge, you might note that we ran the ball up the gut with Lynch on first down, on second down and on third down which is why we needed a 4th down to get it in. Not exactly what I would call a bold play selection.

Uh, yeah. Someone else brought that play up, not me. Vet is trying to say Jauron is a bad head coach because he had to call a timeout in order to make the right call. I took issue with that opinion. Thats it. Nobody's trying to say its this ballsy, gung-ho Pattonesque decision...just that its the right one, and it shouldn't matter to a Bills fan whether or not a timeout was used to set up one of the biggest plays of an eventual win.

You just attempted to rationalize yet another unsubstantiated Jauron "philosophy" -- that he's overly conservative -- because he dared call a TO before going on 4th and goal from the one. It's too bad you can't sit back and see how utterly ridiculous that is.

With all due respect to your omniscience, Jauron did not call timeout to ponder what to do. The special teams called timeout because they didn't have enough time to get the field goal off. Jaurons' excuse after the game was priceless. He went for the field goal because he didn't realize the Bills were so close to the endzone because it's hard to tell from the sidelines. He realized during the timeout that he should go for it.

I give him points for admitting he isn't particularly aware, but that is a problem he has on gameday. He got SMOKED by the Cowboys in that Monday Night game when he failed to use his timeouts to either setup an onsides kick defense OR to instruct his defense to keep the Cowboys receiver in the field of play on the last play prior to the decisive field goal.

When things are moving fast and furious, the contemplative Jauron is a bit slow on the draw. Not being a good and quick decision maker and not having excellent coordinators is a bad combination. The best way to counteract this bad combo is to slow the game down. I don't think Jauron is an exceptionally conservative coach, I think he's just not very good on gameday, but smart enough to know it and work around it. I think he CAN win if given great talent and good coordinators. He's definitely on par as a head coach with Norv Turner or Wade Phillips. But those guys also were standout coordinators and can help themselves out in those areas. Jauron is only slightly more esteemed as a designer and implementer of defenses than he is as a head coach....which is to say not at all.

I actually like Jauron and want him to succeed, but I think you could count the number of NFL head coaches he could out maneuver on gameday on one hand and that's a tall order for a small market team to overcome. And contrary to Jauron's downplaying of calls(which essentially are decisions), having the better decision makers on your sideline is a huge advantage.