Brett Favre a Bill?

Frez

Because you'll screw up the salary cap so badly you'll have no $ left to re-sign Evans, make Peters happy, extend other young players, and be able to afford your top rookies without releasing some players. Not to mention that you're not letting the team grow together with Edwards.

This team can make the playoffs this year and the Super Bowl next year without Favre.

Why bring him in and risk him playing this year, while the team may need one more free agent & draft class to reach the top, then pull the same crap he's done in Green Bay & "retire" again? Plus, do you really think GB is going to release him with no strings? It's not going to happen-they'll want compensation-further weakening the Bills long term goals.

I agree-Just say no!

Get creative and make this work. I want to win now. This is an oppurtunity to do so.

Long term goals? Don't tell me about long term goals. We haven't made the playoffs in years. Long term goals?!?!??! :blink::blink:

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THIS JUST IN... Farvre's asked for his release. Bills listed as one of ten likely teams he'd go to. :blink:

I love the Buffalo/Green Bay angle. I'm assuming he wants a winning situation. Minny/Buff/Car offer the best oppurtunity for this.

However.....

Buffalo offers a lot of what Green Bay has. Passionate fans, cold weather (his strength) and a LT to keep his a$$ upright. Not to mention a true #1 WR with fine compliments and a terriffic RB.

You know he's examining this stuff. Buffalo is a good fit.

Now that the release request is on, so is the crusade.

Save the "he'll disrupt what we have going" crap. I don't buy it. Cap wise, roster maneuvering? Make it work.

Bet if I had more "board-cred" more would come out and share their enthusiasm.

OR

Maybe I'm just missing the boat completely. Am I?

Flame away....this is the internet, you can't see me cry.

Inside sources tell me around One Bills Drive that there is a very good chance Brett Favre could be a Buffalo Bill within the next 2 weeks. The Bills would like to sign him to a player/team friendly contract and have him tutor Trent for one to two years.

Take it for what it's worth.

I'm also hearing the Jets could be a strong possibility also.

Let's wait and see what happens, shall we?

:blink:

Inside sources tell me around One Bills Drive that there is a very good chance Brett Favre could be a Buffalo Bill within the next 2 weeks. The Bills would like to sign him to a player/team friendly contract and have him tutor Trent for one to two years.

Wheres that guy who told us about all the FA's coming to buffalo when you need him?

I'd love it. As crazy as it sounds, I think the Bills instantly become a Superbowl contender with Brett Favre. They have the solid players on offense, defense and special teams and what they need now is a leader to take them straight to the top. Holy cow it'd be tough to beat the Bills at home once they became legit! Can you imagine the noise at the Ralph? We've been waiting too long developing QBs and this is an opportunity that I hope the Bills don't pass on. I couldn't care less if it hurts Trent Edwards' feelings. We Bills fans want to win now and not constantly wait three years at a time for the next great QB hope. Do it Ralphie! Do it!

I very rarely weigh in on the potential of free agents that may or may not make their way to RWS on Sunday afternoons. I don't have time to scour the waiver wire to see whose been cut, nor do I usually feel compelled to get involved with the inevitable discussions that follow the second someone with a recognizable name hits the market. Life is too short to waste too much energy on things you can't control. However this is one of those rare occasions I feel compelled to chime in on, because of the huge impact the the signing of Bret Favre would have on western NY.

If Favre somehow wound up on the Bills roster there would be a huge impact on so many levels, regardless of his play. He, and by extension the entire Buffalo Bills organization would be under intent national media scrutiny all season long. Think about it. If he came over and was successful it would be a huge story. We would be cheering in the playoffs. The Bills front office would have shown they are committed to winning and are not afraid to roll the dice. This could make the Bills a more attractive team to come to for free agents. I suspect the team in general would adopt his swagger and that is the type of thing that could carry over after he's gone. It would give Trent a year or two develop further and learn as much as he could from Favre. If all things panned out our defense would be more rested as the offense sustained drives. As a result, in theory they could be stronger late in the game. We have all seen games that we were in, lost in the fourth quarter do to the defense tiring out. It would affect the whole team in so any ways.

If he did poorly the media firestorm would still be the same or worse. There would be all the questioning of the front office for wasting a year of Trent's development. There would be the requisite stories on how the move set the franchise back for years. The Bills bumbling ways of recent years would be amplified and exaggerated by the national media with the whole world would be watching. I can only imagine the discussions that would be spawned on this very board. Our salary cap could be left a wreck, we could lose talented players that we may have otherwise kept.

I keep having this image of Jim Kelly driving down the field for the game tying score and being picked off by in the endzone by Terrell Buckley who ran it back for a TD. The announcer, I seem to recall it being Collinsworth, commenting on the fact that Jim tried to force a pass that he use to be able to make. I remember the look on Kelly's face and the tone of his voice during the press conference. It was when I truly saw the beginning of the end. The rest of the season he was a shadow of what he was in earlier years but he still willed the Bills to some wins. With Jim as a Struggling Hall of Famer the Bills still went 10-6 and made the playoffs. What happened the next year with Collins, Billy Joe (Lazy Bastard) Hobert, and Van Pelt was miserable.

After weighing many pros and cons, including many I felt would make this already verbose post even longer, I think that if the Bills have a chance to get Favre they should do it. I'm willing to bet that he could jump start a good run for us. I also believe with a few bounces of the ball, or calls in our favor (which Favre seems to get a lot of) we could go to the Super Bowl. I don't think it would hurt Trent to learn from watching a Hall of Famer for another year or two and in the end he and the team would be in a much better situation than they were with Collins/Hobert/Van Pelt in 97. The young core could learn how to win and that could carry over for seasons to come. In my opinion, if we could get him, Favre would be a risk worth taking.

my .02

I'm on board - just think how great it would be to see this on the jumbotron...

"What the hell is Brett Favre doing here?"

"I'm in town to play the Dolphins you dumbass!"

Ok...you've convinced me. It would be worth it just for that. Brett Fah-va-rah.

Wow, I never knew you had inside sources there, excellent!

I don't really want this POS on the Bills, but I am so tired of seeing this team fail year in and year out. If he could end up being the difference between making the playoffs and watching them at home again, I would support bringing him in.

I'm all for it. He's going to sign for much less than his current contract. JP becomes trade bait when someone gets injured in training camp giving us another draft pick or replacing the one we use to get Brett. TE would be ok with it. He's a smart guy and there's little humiliation being replaced by a future HOF'er. Just the value of Favre mentoring Trent might make this seem reasonable.

IF:

Favre signs, Stroud is solid, Ko comes back strong, Hardy contributes and no major injuries. We are playoff bound. Fo' Real!

JP would be the trade bait... I almost think what the Bills want for JP and what the Packers will want for Favre might be similar.... Trade JP FOR Brett Favre..... simple! Everyone would need new contracts, but how crazy is that idea really? GB was the team that would have taken JP had the Bills not traded up to get him remember.... and he would be a Veteran presence for them when they have a cast of untested.

Not that it will ever happen...

Get creative and make this work. I want to win now. This is an oppurtunity to do so.

Long term goals? Don't tell me about long term goals. We haven't made the playoffs in years. Long term goals?!?!??! ;):devil:

Sounds like the guys at ESPN who think that Tom Donahoe was a great GM because he wanted to win now. I remember an owner firing a young head coach (who it turned out was better suited for college) when he said "I want to win now" after he fired Pete Carroll and brought in his "win now" coach, Rich Kotite.

We haven't made the playoffs in years because of that "win now" philosophy. Now when we're actually ready to both win now & in the forseeable future, some of you want to throw it all away for a shot at one or 2 years of Brett Favre at age 39 and maybe 40-an age where a guy can fall off the face of the football map a few games into the season.

I can't change your minds now, so all I can say is watch Edwards & Favre for the next 2 seasons and you'll understand why wanting Favre is a mistake and you'll all be grateful that Favre didn't end up a Bill.

Sounds like the guys at ESPN who think that Tom Donahoe was a great GM because he wanted to win now. I remember an owner firing a young head coach (who it turned out was better suited for college) when he said "I want to win now" after he fired Pete Carroll and brought in his "win now" coach, Rich Kotite.

We haven't made the playoffs in years because of that "win now" philosophy. Now when we're actually ready to both win now & in the forseeable future, some of you want to throw it all away for a shot at one or 2 years of Brett Favre at age 39 and maybe 40-an age where a guy can fall off the face of the football map a few games into the season.

I can't change your minds now, so all I can say is watch Edwards & Favre for the next 2 seasons and you'll understand why wanting Favre is a mistake and you'll all be grateful that Favre didn't end up a Bill.

So Edwards this year will out-play Brett Favre if Favre plays somewhere? I do agree that Favre being a Bill is a waste. The Buffalo coaches wouldn't know what to do with a guy like Favre.

I don't understand your first paragraph, so I'll leave it alone.

Now, if you think for one minute that Edwards, who I truly believe has a bright future, is going to outplay Favre this year, you're mistaken. I get the "when it's over, it happens quick" argument, but BF played his best football last year. We need a QB who can go toe-to toe with Manning and Brady. Favre is that guy.

He doesn't make sense for all teams. He does for the Bills because we are that close.

THIS JUST IN... Farvre's asked for his release. Bills listed as one of ten likely teams he'd go to. ;)

Who writes these articles? Trained chimps? They list 10 teams and they ignore the Atlanta Falcons who have a total rookie in Matt Ryan. Gosh, ya think having a guy like Favre around for a year to ease the guy into the NFL would be a good idea? Naw, the Bills need him more. :devil:

PTR

Your claim that "win now" has kept the Bills organization back is false. Not even close. In the 8 seasons since the Bills last made the playoffs, only twice in that span were the Bills in "win now" mode. 2003 when they signed Spikes/Adams/Milloy and 2004 when they hired Mularkey and just missed the playoffs. Winning consistently in the NFL is about coaching and QB's, and the Bills have had bad coaches and bad QB play for near the duration.