Brett Favre a Bill?

Frez

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the owner who wouldn't pay Nate Clements going into his prime, would (over)pay to get Favre in his last years? That is not even remotely in keeping with this owner's M.O.

Let me know when Nate reaches his "prime". Maybe Nate Clemens isn't the best example to cite here.

PTR

Let me know when Nate reaches his "prime". Maybe Nate Clemens isn't the best example to cite here.

PTR

For all we know now, Nate may have peaked when he was with the Bills - whether he did or not is TOTALLY irrelevant.

At that moment in time, with no reason to think Clements would soon decline, the Bills were not willing to lay out huge dollars for a proven mid-career starter. Given that, I don't see Ralph making a play for Favre, a high dollar guy at the very END of his career.

For all we know now, Nate may have peaked when he was with the Bills - whether he did or not is TOTALLY irrelevant.

At that moment in time, with no reason to think Clements would soon decline, the Bills were not willing to lay out huge dollars for a proven mid-career starter. Given that, I don't see Ralph making a play for Favre, a high dollar guy at the very END of his career.

While I absolutely agree this will never go down, it's not for the same reason as letting Clements walk. Favre's impact on the Bills, even at this stage of his career, would FAR exceed whatever contributions a CB would have, even in his prime.

Not even close.

I understand the Packers wanting to move on because of Favre's offseason "fickleness", but a team, the Bills specifically, who have not tasted playoff football for what seems an eternity and has the oppurtunity to acquire an all-time great who still has game, you make every attempt to get him.

Hey Ralph, before you check out, make a phone call. At the very least, inquire. Show me you want to win NOW. This move just might do it.

What's to lose?

A couple #1 draft picks?

I don't know what it would take to get him, but if you believe he'd be the difference maker, what price is too high?

If I need to throw in a testi, pass the numbing agent and some scissors.....get Fed Ex on the horn and warn Wisconsin, they're gonna have a ball.

Firs, I am not advocating the Bills bring in Brett Favre, mainly, because I know it would never be seriously considered by the Bills or Favre, and secondly, because I don't think he makes as much sense for the Bills, as he does some other teams.

That being said, I am just amazed at how many people here are of the opinion that Favre is washed up. Sure, his age is a factor, and he may not be quite as mobile as he was 5 years ago (but he can still move) but there is nothing in his performance to suggest that he is on empty. He just came off what may have been his best season, ever.

There is no guarantee that he will be able to repeat that, just as there is no guarantee that Trent Edwards, Rogers, Ryan, Redman or a half dozen other un-proven QB's will be one tenth the QB that Favre is right now. I understand building a team for the future, and nuturing young players, in your own system, yadda yadda yadda...but there are probably 10-12 teams in the NFL would move from being sub-playoff hopefuls, into playoff contenders, if they landed Brett Favre for the 2008 season.

I think he should/will stay with the Packers if he plays again, but this notion that he is the next Drew Bledsoe or Rob Johnson, is just stupid. I think Buffalo sports fans, in general, are pretty smart fans, but, I think our two pro franchises have gotten us all to believe that constant re-building (sold to us as re-tooling), and keeping it in house, is the smartest and best thing to do. Meanwhile, other franchises, in both of our sports, are taking the "win now" attitude, and some of them are succeeding. Whatever team Favre plays for this coming season, will be better than they were without him. Signing him is not near the gamble that it is being made out to be by some of you. So, what if he only has another year or two left in him. Isn't a year or two of exciting, competitive football more appealing than another 6-10, 7-9, 8-8 season?

Firs, I am not advocating the Bills bring in Brett Favre, mainly, because I know it would never be seriously considered by the Bills or Favre, and secondly, because I don't think he makes as much sense for the Bills, as he does some other teams.

That being said, I am just amazed at how many people here are of the opinion that Favre is washed up. Sure, his age is a factor, and he may not be quite as mobile as he was 5 years ago (but he can still move) but there is nothing in his performance to suggest that he is on empty. He just came off what may have been his best season, ever.

There is no guarantee that he will be able to repeat that, just as there is no guarantee that Trent Edwards, Rogers, Ryan, Redman or a half dozen other un-proven QB's will be one tenth the QB that Favre is right now. I understand building a team for the future, and nuturing young players, in your own system, yadda yadda yadda...but there are probably 10-12 teams in the NFL would move from being sub-playoff hopefuls, into playoff contenders, if they landed Brett Favre for the 2008 season.

I think he should/will stay with the Packers if he plays again, but this notion that he is the next Drew Bledsoe or Rob Johnson, is just stupid. I think Buffalo sports fans, in general, are pretty smart fans, but, I think our two pro franchises have gotten us all to believe that constant re-building (sold to us as re-tooling), and keeping it in house, is the smartest and best thing to do. Meanwhile, other franchises, in both of our sports, are taking the "win now" attitude, and some of them are succeeding. Whatever team Favre plays for this coming season, will be better than they were without him. Signing him is not near the gamble that it is being made out to be by some of you. So, what if he only has another year or two left in him. Isn't a year or two of exciting, competitive football more appealing than another 6-10, 7-9, 8-8 season?

I agree with what you are saying about Favre, but I can't get the image of the freezing old man who couldn't perform on his home field in last year's playoffs (or in a bad weather game in Chicago). Go to Tampa Brett and hope for home field.

I agree with what you are saying about Favre, but I can't get the image of the freezing old man who couldn't perform on his home field in last year's playoffs (or in a bad weather game in Chicago). Go to Tampa Brett and hope for home field.

Tom Brady had a bad game in the Super Bowl...would you take him?

Like I said, the Packers should take him back, no matter how much a pain in the ass he is. You have to wonder how well guys like Jennings are going to do without Favre.

Favre did not wish to speak publicly about his situation when approached while working out Friday morning at a local high school in Hattiesburg. He appeared to be in excellent physical condition and threw the ball with ease, even throwing it 50 yards "on a rope" with high school receivers. He has been throwing and running with the team for more than a month.

Favre did not wish to speak publicly about his situation when approached while working out Friday morning at a local high school in Hattiesburg. He appeared to be in excellent physical condition and threw the ball with ease, even throwing it 50 yards "on a rope" with high school receivers. He has been throwing and running with the team for more than a month.

I say we make a play or him. He can be had. Why not us? Why not go for it?

I say we make a play or him. He can be had. Why not us? Why not go for it?

Because you'll screw up the salary cap so badly you'll have no $ left to re-sign Evans, make Peters happy, extend other young players, and be able to afford your top rookies without releasing some players. Not to mention that you're not letting the team grow together with Edwards.

This team can make the playoffs this year and the Super Bowl next year without Favre.

Why bring him in and risk him playing this year, while the team may need one more free agent & draft class to reach the top, then pull the same crap he's done in Green Bay & "retire" again? Plus, do you really think GB is going to release him with no strings? It's not going to happen-they'll want compensation-further weakening the Bills long term goals.

I agree-Just say no!