we all want trent to be good, but....

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

realistically, how good do you all think he will be this year? He showed alot of promise last year, but wasnt that great(in trents defense, when compared to JP, when he dropped back to pass, I didnt cringe..)

I cringed, especially late in the game when games are won & lost. The Cowboys & Giants are two games that come to mind, not to mention how BAD he looked at the end of the year. As you said WE ALL hope he does well,but I don't see a lot of promise as some others do yet however.

I think what he showed us last year as a rookie tells me that he's the right guy to be the #1 QB going into camp. I think he can only get better and learn from his mistakes and bad play.

A good part of his bad play was probably due to Fairchild's ineptness as an OC, so at least a new coordinator who knows what Trent can do should help.

I think what he showed us last year as a rookie tells me that he's the right guy to be the #1 QB going into camp. I think he can only get better and learn from his mistakes and bad play.

A good part of his bad play was probably due to Fairchild's ineptness as an OC, so at least a new coordinator who knows what Trent can do should help.

Lets hope so. :rolleyes:

I must be the only one around here that likes both QB's. I think Losman has had a few break thus far in his career, but on the other hand he didnt help his cause either. I still think Losman can be a good QB, he just needs the surroundings to be there. Same goes for Edwards.

I dont care who the QB as long as we get to the playoffs and get some respect. This includes that 3rd stringer of our whos name I wont mention........due to the love fest for him.

Hooooollllllllyyyyyy Sh-t! Can we calm down about all the trent talk already?? Christ. I know its May and you are all bored but use the search function - u have all beat this thing to death. He was..wait for it..a ROOKIE last season. One more time for emphasis...A ROOKIE. We know he showed some surprising poise. We know he looked shaky at times, especially in cold weather. Get off it. What did the Colts do Peyton's first season? I don't think I have to remind you.

Listen, I am a big Edwards fan, I am. I think he's built (great brains, adequate arm) for success in today's league. The criticism has to stop...we've gone over it ad nauseum already and we are comparing him to established guys! Even guys who broke through last year (Romo, D. Anderson) held a clipboard and LEARNED for a period of time before they came in and lit it up last season. Leave the kid alone Christ.

Oh yeah, and my sympathies go out to JP also...he was dikked around by our previous admin. and never got the proper time to develop like the above guys I named did. But he did have a full season under his belt...and he regressed. But to nit-pick Edwards' play all off-season by all of you is getting really old. Find a hobby. Be a big brother or something. It's been done guys. He's in, at the top of the list. He'll be at the top of that depth chart for the entire season, barring injury. And that is the way it should be.

I must be the only one around here that likes both QB's. I think Losman has had a few break thus far in his career, but on the other hand he didnt help his cause either. I still think Losman can be a good QB, he just needs the surroundings to be there. Same goes for Edwards.

I dont care who the QB as long as we get to the playoffs and get some respect. This includes that 3rd stringer of our whos name I wont mention........due to the love fest for him.

exactly. thank you.

Hooooollllllllyyyyyy Sh-t! Can we calm down about all the trent talk already?? Christ. I know its May and you are all bored but use the search function - u have all beat this thing to death. He was..wait for it..a ROOKIE last season. One more time for emphasis...A ROOKIE. We know he showed some surprising poise. We know he looked shaky at times, especially in cold weather. Get off it. What did the Colts do Peyton's first season? I don't think I have to remind you.

Listen, I am a big Edwards fan, I am. I think he's built (great brains, adequate arm) for success in today's league. The criticism has to stop...we've gone over it ad nauseum already and we are comparing him to established guys! Even guys who broke through last year (Romo, D. Anderson) held a clipboard and LEARNED for a period of time before they came in and lit it up last season. Leave the kid alone Christ.

Oh yeah, and my sympathies go out to JP also...he was dikked around by our previous admin. and never got the proper time to develop like the above guys I named did. But he did have a full season under his belt...and he regressed. But to nit-pick Edwards' play all off-season by all of you is getting really old. Find a hobby. Be a big brother or something. It's been done guys. He's in, at the top of the list. He'll be at the top of that depth chart for the entire season, barring injury. And that is the way it should be.

Who exactly are you addressing? All of one person criticized Edwards in this thread. Thats far from being tar-and-feathered.

Heaven forbid even one disciple speak ill of thy holy Trent, huh?

I cringed, especially late in the game when games are won & lost. The Cowboys & Giants are two games that come to mind, not to mention how BAD he looked at the end of the year. As you said WE ALL hope he does well,but I don't see a lot of promise as some others do yet however.

of what you could see of Trent between the snow flakes in that blizzard, you are right- he did not look great. :thumbsup:

The bottom line is that we fielded the worst offense in the history of the franchise last year and everyone involved, Dick, Fairchild, both QB's, etc, etc all have to take a share of the blame for it. All the excuses in the world for the offense or each individual player on it aren't going to change the plain and simple fact that our offense was beyond terrible last year. This offense has a lot to prove.

Who exactly are you addressing? All of one person criticized Edwards in this thread. Thats far from being tar-and-feathered.

Heaven forbid even one disciple speak ill of thy holy Trent, huh?

I think he feels Edwards should be treated with kid gloves. This makes sense because Edwards is a kid. And he wears gloves.

Edwards should not apologize for his fantastic play though. Just remember the streak he had where he put up more points against his opponent than any other team on their schedule except the ones they had played already. That is awesome for a third round rookie.

And forget about the Cleveland game where he put up a goose egg. You would think the defense would score in those conditions. Plus he had the Jets on the ropes in game two before clean up the city boy came in and stole all the glory. The game against the Giants was tremendous when you consider the Giants also wear blue and he was a third round rookie and might have been confused. If you count the interceptions/TD returns he threw as touchdowns for the Bills instead of the Giants his QB rating was through the roof. He is still learning and if we had played a purple or green team that stuff would not have happened.

The bottom line is that we fielded the worst offense in the history of the franchise last year and everyone involved, Dick, Fairchild, both QB's, etc, etc all have to take a share of the blame for it. All the excuses in the world for the offense or each individual player on it aren't going to change the plain and simple fact that our offense was beyond terrible last year. This offense has a lot to prove.

You're damn right they do. Talent is better, now go score some points and put some teams away early in games.

I think to be fair, the Offense really stunk the joint in that last 3-4 games except for the 1st half of the Giants game.

Edwards while he showed promise also showed his weakness.

Fairchild showed that he could not get creative and move the ball.

The WRs and TEs dropped passes at critical times and could not keep the chains moving.

What I liked about Edwards was his poise in many of those games....Against Washington (I was at the game at Fedex), when the Bills got the ball for one last time he did not flinch and calmly made the throws to move the Bills down field and have Lindell kick the field goal for the win.

Against the Browns, the Offense struggled mightly....They could not run the ball effectively....and yet down 8-0, with one last chance, he almost had the Bills scoring a TD to give them a chance.

I hope Edwards was able to learn from his rookie season and translate that into better performance. What I am yet to see completely for Trent is a full complete game where he dominates.

I also pray that someone from that TE group has a coming out party this season...We desparately need a pass catching TE.

What I liked about Edwards was his poise in many of those games....Against Washington (I was at the game at Fedex), when the Bills got the ball for one last time he did not flinch and calmly made the throws to move the Bills down field and have Lindell kick the field goal for the win.

Against the Browns, the Offense struggled mightly....They could not run the ball effectively....and yet down 8-0, with one last chance, he almost had the Bills scoring a TD to give them a chance.

High praise indeed. Reminds me of Brave Sir Robin who nearly fought the dragon of Angnor.

I think he feels Edwards should be treated with kid gloves. This makes sense because Edwards is a kid. And he wears gloves.

Edwards should not apologize for his fantastic play though. Just remember the streak he had where he put up more points against his opponent than any other team on their schedule except the ones they had played already. That is awesome for a third round rookie.

And forget about the Cleveland game where he put up a goose egg. You would think the defense would score in those conditions. Plus he had the Jets on the ropes in game two before clean up the city boy came in and stole all the glory. The game against the Giants was tremendous when you consider the Giants also wear blue and he was a third round rookie and might have been confused. If you count the interceptions/TD returns he threw as touchdowns for the Bills instead of the Giants his QB rating was through the roof. He is still learning and if we had played a purple or green team that stuff would not have happened.

:unsure:

JP makes me, and every Bills fan I know, nervous. It's mainly his body language. He looks nervous and projects that anxiety. He's also had a bad habit of giving up the ball in critical situations. Trent looks more in control out there, and his calm projects. I have high expectations of him. Sumpin about the guy. Seems like a winner to me. I like JP, too. But as a backup. I don't believe that ANY team in the league would be interested in JP as "their guy".

I really thought JP was going to be the guy after the year he had in '06. Boy was I wrong. He took a step back instead of a step forward. He seems to fold under any kind of pressure. He fell apart when he had his first chance to start because there was some one waiting right behind him to take his spot on a week to week basis. When they brought in Nall to compete and he got hurt early, JP knew the job was his and played the game relaxed. That's when he had the '06 campaign. Last year, when we drafted Edwards in the 3rd round, JP felt the heat again and collapsed. He doesn't seem to have what it takes mentally to be a good starting QB. Cannon arm that's pretty accurate on the deep throws? Yes. All the intangibles? No.

Now Edwards seems to have the intangibles that you need in a starting QB. He never really looked "shook" out there on the field. He didn't have the greatest of years, even for a rookie, but he did show that he could lead an NFL team. In his defense, the only people he had to throw the ball to were Lee Evans and Josh Reed. Reed always ran 4 and 5 yard routes when we needed 6 and 7 yards, while Evans was getting double and sometimes tripled in the deeper levels. Everyone knows our team was busted up last year on defense so we also couldn't get the ball back into his hands alot. Our defense played hard, real hard, they just weren't as effective as they could've been to give our offense more opportunities. Edwards did make the common rookie mistakes throwing INT's and missing open WR's sometimes. Heck, even Peyton Manning threw 28 INT's versus 26 TD's in his rookie year. Edwards only had 7 TD's versus 8 INT's, but he didn't start from day one either. I think Edwards will be alright and continue to progress as long as we have a STRONG running attack getting 4+ yards per carry, while Evans has a viable threat opposite him to pick up the slack(enter the James Hardy era), and if he can absorb this new playbook quickly. I think he showed that he has the mental stability, unlike JP, to make it as our starting QB for years. But like anything else, only time will tell.

I think he can only get better and learn from his mistakes and bad play.

We hope he gets better, but he might not. It's a mistake to assume that more snaps will help.

More snaps sometimes expose weaknesses. Two years ago JP was a top half of the league starter. It was assumed he could only get better. Last year, defenses reacted to what they had seen from Losman and the Bills offense in 2006, and between the injuries and Edwards taking time, JP was relegated to backup duty on the second worst offense in the league by seasons end.

Expect teams to pressure Edwards more this year and take away the short pass he specializes in, with the idea being that you will either knock him out of the game(injury prone) or force him to make the long throws he is not particularly good at. Kind of a "Chad Pennington" defense.

IMO, the Bills really screwed Edwards by not getting a TE to help him out. If there is one good deep ball Edwards throws it's the deep middle(not coincidentally the shortest distance between points), and a seam stretching TE could be the difference between him making it in the league and not. But, once again, the Bills felt there were higher priorities than putting the QB in the best position to succeed(which is actually the most important thing an organization can do, period).