James Hardy

Really? So all the cops you've ever talked to have walked into a domestic dispute involving 2 black men with serious records and a firearm and they give them a stern lecture and everyone goes on about their business? Yeah, I'm sure.

I'm assuming NOTHING. There are virtually no facts available. But you keep going on assasinating the guy's character and recommending solutions to "help him" based on what you "know" and all the "experience" you have from the "cops you've talked to".

It's no different than the idiots who said something about him carrying a weapon to his mom's house. Dude just got picked to play in the NFL and is going to be making bank. It stands to reason that someone may have threatened him and he took it as credible and wants to protect himself. Bad James. Bad.

Wow now who is assuming.

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL, the reactions here are hilarious. If he was playing for any other team, the reactions would all be that he has not changed and is still a possible punk. But because he is a Bill we all should reserve judgement and that it was probably someone elses fault that he pulled the gun. No one is saying he should be cut, just that he probably needs some serious help

Looking at what we know as facts from the article and his past

Fact 1 - He has a past incident where he was in a domestic dispute that became physical with his girlfriend and baby

Fact 2 - He was at a family get together with parents that weren't in his life much, and a father who was in prison for 9 years on drug charges

Fact 3 - A weapon that he has registered to himself was pulled out by him during a confrontation with his father

Fact 4 - The police were called to the scene to investigate and no charges were laid

Now using some of my amateur sleuthing skills I had picked up from reading Hardy Boys novels as a kid, and watching Scooby Doo, I can come to a fair assumption that

An arguement had probably broken out between him and his dad, and it probably started to get heated. For some reason Hardy pulled out his gun that he carried (to a mothers day BBQ with his family) during the confrontation and may have pointed it at his father. Either way it was pulled out, therefore there was some intent to use it to either scare someone, or hurt/kill them (if it wasn't pointed, then it was obviously just to scare them) Someone called the police and they came out to investigate and decided not to file charges (also leading me to believe that he didn't point, and only pulled it out to scare someone he had a confrontation with. Also leading me to believe that no one else pulled a weapon or threatened to hurt anyone else.

Now after hearing this, I do believe that Hardy needs help. Yes the second amendment says he has a right to bare arms, and the gun was registered, but no where does it say that he can take the gun out and use it (or threaten to use it). Using a gun on an intruder, or on someone who has a weapon and is threatening your life can be defended as self defence. Someone who feels the need to carry a gun to a family gathering, is not showing good judgement by keeping in contact with this family, especially in a high profile proffession that he is in. Anyone that feels the need to pull out a gun during an altercation when the other person does not have a weapon also needs some help to learn that a gun should be a last resort form of self defence. And for someone with a past situation of domestic violence, it shows that he does have some issues that need to be dealt with. it doesn't matter that his father was in jail for 9 years, that might be part of the root of his problems, but its not an excuse for his behaviour

All Bill and some of the others not defending his actions are saying is that they hope he does get some help so that he doesn't end up the next Henry, Pacman, or Johnson, and that he can get his act together.

Maybe I don't get it because I live in Canada and not in a City called Toronto, so I frequently can leave my door unlocked, or walk outside at night, and not have to carry a weapon on me where ever I guy "for protection". And I don't need to carry a weapon to a family gathering

Ditto :blink:

How is it nonsense?

What about the situation from the eyewitness shows a need for Hardy to have pulled his gun?

Because it is a complete unknown why he pulled the gun. NO one said there was any threat to make him pull it or AS he pulled it. It could very well be he was just showing that he had it. If you were in a fistfight and had a loaded gun jammed in your waistband wouldn't you want it out of there? I know I would. All I am saying is that you're automatically assuming he is a thug because he took out his gun. There are no reports that he did anything with it. And if there WERE threats, they probably would be in the reports.

Beware the compulsion to render JUDGEMENT. Just because it makes you feel better about yourself doesn't mean it has any validity or in any way makes clear the issue that is being JUDGED.

ESPECIALLY WHEN NO ONE KNOWS sh-- ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED.

3) He is a 6'7" professional athlete. His father must be a pretty tough guy for Hardy to need to use a handgun against him, or threaten to.

I am not a psychologist, but to me the gun is just an extension of his anger. "Ooo, Ooo...I'm angry. Let me grab a) A spoon b) A knife c) My gun

C wins every time.

How is it nonsense?

What about the situation from the eyewitness shows a need for Hardy to have pulled his gun?

Its nonsense because you seem unwilling to consider that there may be another explanation beyond him just being a thug who obviously brandished the weapon with the intent to use it.

There may well be other, perfectly valid explanations that don't involve malicious intent and, in fact, one of them may be a lot closer to the truth.

Wow now who is assuming.

I'm not assuming anything. I have no problem with anyone carrying a concealed weapon wherever and whenever they want to. I was giving a simple, plausible explanation to the dunderheads who can't think for themselves.

Because it is a complete unknown why he pulled the gun. NO one said there was any threat to make him pull it or AS he pulled it. It could very well be he was just showing that he had it. If you were in a fistfight and had a loaded gun jammed in your waistband wouldn't you want it out of there? I know I would. All I am saying is that you're automatically assuming he is a thug because he took out his gun. There are no reports that he did anything with it. And if there WERE threats, they probably would be in the reports.

Again, I'm not assuming he's a thug. I've never called him a thug, and in fact said I didn't think he was a thug.

He pulled it after "beating" on his father. There was no threat of any type that would be a credible threat on Hardy's life. Hardy's life was not in danger.

Again:

When police arrived, the woman said Hardy, also known as James W. Hardy III, had come over to the home and that suddenly she heard a loud noise in her back yard. She looked out to see Hardy “beating up” his 43-year-old father, according to a police report.

The woman said the younger Hardy pulled out a black gun when she yelled for him to stop, according to the report. He then left in his white Cadillac truck. Records indicate Hardy has a permit to carry a gun for protection until 2011.

That is not a situation where you are allowed to pull a gun.

He wasn't in a life threatening situation. Plain and simple.

I didn't say he threated his dad. I didn't say he pointed the gun at his dad, and was on the verge of shooting him. I said it's irresponsible to pull out the gun in this circumstance period.

A loaded gun jammed into your waistband is also not a responsible way to carry a gun. Being licensed to carry a gun requires a person to be incredibly careful about their actions when they are carrying a gun. It is an incredibly large responsibility. Larger than most people realize.

You don't carry a gun, and get into a situation that Hardy was in, and you certainly don't draw your gun after fighting with someone.

Again, I'm not assuming he's a thug. I've never called him a thug, and in fact said I didn't think he was a thug.

He pulled it after "beating" on his father. There was no threat of any type that would be a credible threat on Hardy's life. Hardy's life was not in danger.

Again:

I didn't say he threated his dad. I didn't say he pointed the gun at his dad, and was on the verge of shooting him. I said it's irresponsible to pull out the gun in this circumstance period.

A loaded gun jammed into your waistband is also not a responsible way to carry a gun. Being licensed to carry a gun requires a person to be incredibly careful about their actions when they are carrying a gun. It is an incredibly large responsibility. Larger than most people realize.

You don't carry a gun, and get into a situation that Hardy was in, and you certainly don't draw your gun after fighting with someone.

Dude, you just don't get it. That's all there is to it.

Who made you the JUDGE?

Again:

I'm not sure I agree. If he'd just been involved in a fistfight, it would seem like a reasonable thing to make sure that a concealed weapon you might be carrying was secured (in other words, not falling from its holster, safety still engaged, etc). In the middle of the fight, not a good idea, but immediately following? Yeah, probably. That's especially true if he knew the weapon had impacted something or otherwise been knocked around in the fight.

In any event, we have no idea of the circumstances which led to the weapon being removed from its holster.

A loaded gun jammed into your waistband is also not a responsible way to carry a gun.

Really? I have a specially modified holster that allows me to carry anywhere on my waistband I choose.

And you're assuming a whole lot from the account of a 73 year old woman the the term "pulled his gun".

How is it nonsense?

What about the situation from the eyewitness shows Hardy pulled a gun? Eyewitness statements aren't exactly reliable...and this one's completely uncorroborated.

Anyone here actually been to Fort Wayne? Cause I have. There's a reason why South Bend and Gary, IN are the top 2 worst cities in the country to live in and ranked that way for like the past 5 years: the whole area is fairly prone to gang violence and the per capita murder rate is through the roof, Fort Wayne is not in that class, but is close enough that it is no picnic. Want to bet he wasn't in the nicest neighborhood? My buddy from undergrad's dad was a sheriff in Forth Wayne and the place is full of low lifes. Do I condemn a 2nd round NFL pick for carrying a registered gun in a shady place? No.

Its nonsense because you seem unwilling to consider that there may be another explanation beyond him just being a thug who obviously brandished the weapon with the intent to use it.

There may well be other, perfectly valid explanations that don't involve malicious intent and, in fact, one of them may be a lot closer to the truth.

Am I wrong in assuming that most of you that think I'm way out in left field on this don't have a concealed carry license?

If so I apologize.

If not, look into it. Look into the classes, and what they should be teaching you when you get a license.

Being licensed to carry a weapon is one of the largest responsibilities you can be licensed for. Talk to a few lawyers or cops about what that license allows you to do, and what it doesn't.

The license doesn't allow you to do whatever you want with a gun. It really puts more responsibility on you than someone who doesn't carry a gun.