James Hardy

The key word there is 'apparently'. In truth, we don't know what happened. The fact that the police didn't haul him to county leads me to believe that it was indeed a misunderstanding by the neighbor.

That, I think would be the best case scenario.

The neighbor saw him "showing" the gun to his father, and got scared and called the cops.

Doubtful, but I guess we can be hopeful.

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No offense, but if this happened to the Pats*, Lions, Bears, Cows*, you and everyone else would be calling them criminals and typical.

Well guess what it's the NFL and a lot of these guys are scum.

As a joke, perhaps, but I doubt it. There have been hundreds of these incidents and I don't really remember commenting "seriously" on any individual one, but I may have. Like, for instance, I said "Chris Henry wasn't a sleeper, he's a sleeper cell". But it's obviously a joke and we surely can't equate what Hardy did to Henry, as Hardy didn't allegedly do anything. I don't think it's an issue, nor would I if this were a Pat. In fact, I'm not even sure it's even "news".

That's true, but in most cases you're not allowed to use more force than necessary to defend yourself (Bring a gun to a fistfight).

Something that should have been taught to Hardy in his concealed carry class.

You keep stating the same thing but aren't doing the math. Hardy hasn't been charged with anything. Care to venture a guess as to why?

Not really, but why let a little thing like fact get in the way of a good emotional stance like "there is never, ever a good reason to pull a gun on someone".

We better watch it, or Hardy is gonna get pissed and start exercising his Third Amendment rights by not quartering his posse in a private home.

You keep stating the same thing but aren't doing the math. Hardy hasn't been charged with anything. Care to venture a guess as to why?

Don't have a clue.

My first guess would be the police officer didn't want to arrest anyone.

Such as a bar fight situation. Many times neither guy gets arrested, because they were both in the wrong, and neither was more wrong than the other.

If the officer was able to deescalate the situation, and get everyone calmed down, then I could see there being no arrests.

That doesn't mean that Hardy didn't show a lack of good judgment in his actions.

Do I think Hardy is a stone cold killer, or lifetime thug, or PoS? No. Do I think this was a rather serious lack of judgment on his part? Yes. Do I think the Bills should be somewhat concerned about it? Yes. Do I think the Bills FO needs to have some words with him, and perhaps get him some of the help and guidance he probably needs? Yes.

Ooooh! Ooooooh! Oooooh! I know this one!

There wasn't a crime?

C'mon. You are certainly a smart enough guy to know that every time the police are called out, even when a crime has technically been committed, that someone doesn't always get arrested.

Just like everyone that gets pulled over for speeding doesn't always get a ticket.

Domestic disturbances are messy situations, and often times, calming the situation down is more productive than arresting someone.

Great point! the more handguns you have LEGALLY REGISTERED the bigger thug you are. All the people I know who have many LEGAL HANDGUNS including myself have never committed any crimes, but let's group them with criminals because you feel that nobody needs a bunch of LEGAL guns.

A little sensitive about owning guns? I grouped Hardy who wielded a gun at his dad, with Harrison who is being investigated in a shooting outside his restaurant.

C'mon. You are certainly a smart enough guy to know that every time the police are called out, even when a crime has technically been committed, that someone doesn't always get arrested.

Just like everyone that gets pulled over for speeding doesn't always get a ticket.

Domestic disturbances are messy situations, and often times, calming the situation down is more productive than arresting someone.

You're right. Police are well known for glossing over gun crimes with famous guys who possess a record for domestic assault, then when confronted by the press say they aren't pursuing anything further. What the hell was I thinking?

GUNS BAD!! GUNS ARE EVIL, PEOPLE WHO OWN THEM ARE EVIL!

I DON'T LIKE THEM SO IT'S GOOD THE GOVERNMENT IS CRACKING DOWN!!

There have been millions and millions and millions of times the police were called out. For good and bad reasons, with millions and millions of results. All we have to go on here is a guy from the hood got in an argument with his ex-con deadbeat dad, pulled but didn't point a legal gun, and then immediately left. The police don't think there is a crime, and the deadbeat dad who was involved doesn't either, but says me and my son have a great relationship.

If I HAD to guess, knowing what little I know, and residing on earth, I would guess nothing much happened and perhaps the dad was in the wrong. If you had to guess, you seem to think something awful happened or the kid has serious problems that need to be addressed.

A little sensitive about owning guns? I grouped Hardy who wielded a gun at his dad, with Harrison who is being investigated in a shooting outside his restaurant.

You equated owning multiple guns with criminal behavior. So yes, I am sensitive when ignorant blanket statements attempt to paint gun owners as criminals. The huge majority of guns in this country are owned by law abiding citizens who will never commit a crime with them.

Harrison is being investigated because he may have committed a crime, not because he owned a lot of legal guns.

You're right. Police are well known for glossing over gun crimes with famous guys who possess a record for domestic assault, then when confronted by the press say they aren't pursuing anything further. What the hell was I thinking?

Likely by the time the cops got there, they couldn't get any substantial info because the family knew Hardy would get Fckud. So when the cops arrive they hear that nothing happened, and everything is alright, and no one pulled a gun.

What are they supposed to do? Tell everyone to chill out, and leave. Not much they can do.

That doesn't mean there was no crime, and that it was a misunderstanding. It means no one really wanted to press the situation and get anyone into real trouble (especially the family's soon to be cash cow). It doesn't mean that Hardy didn't show a complete lack of good judgment.

Why the hell does this remind me of arguing with the Senator last year about Hargrove?

That, I think would be the best case scenario.

The neighbor saw him "showing" the gun to his father, and got scared and called the cops.

Doubtful, but I guess we can be hopeful.

If I had to guess, this was just a fistfight or a shoving match, and Hardy was setting the gun aside.

Likely by the time the cops got there, they couldn't get any substantial info because the family knew Hardy would get Fckud. So when the cops arrive they hear that nothing happened, and everything is alright, and no one pulled a gun.

So now we're assuming...

What are they supposed to do? Tell everyone to chill out, and leave. Not much they can do.

I know if it were me, someone would be leaving the scene in my car, in bracelets. Because that guarantees the situation is over for the short term. Even if no charges are filed. Yet that didn't happen either. With 2 convicts and a gun. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

That doesn't mean there was no crime, and that it was a misunderstanding. It means no one really wanted to press the situation and get anyone into real trouble (especially the family's soon to be cash cow). It doesn't mean that Hardy didn't show a complete lack of good judgment.

And we're going to keep going in that direction...

Why the hell does this remind me of arguing with the Senator last year about Hargrove?

I don't recall that one.

3) He is a 6'7" professional athlete. His father must be a pretty tough guy for Hardy to need to use a handgun against him, or threaten to.

I think you missed the most important thing: Hardy made the decision to pull out a gun and point it at somebody over an argument. His life wasn't in danger, there was no physical confrontation - it was an argument.

Somebody with this these types of decision making skills is going to get into trouble time and again - and since he carries a gun on him there's always a chance he ends up hurting somebody seriously.

I was going to reply to the point above from Bill, but MDH basically beat me to it -- pulling a gun isn't an indication of how tough his Dad is, it's a sign of how troubled the "kid" is.

There have been millions and millions and millions of times the police were called out. For good and bad reasons, with millions and millions of results. All we have to go on here is a guy from the hood got in an argument with his ex-con deadbeat dad, pulled but didn't point a legal gun, and then immediately left. The police don't think there is a crime, and the deadbeat dad who was involved doesn't either, but says me and my son have a great relationship.

Agreed

If I HAD to guess, knowing what little I know, and residing on earth, I would guess nothing much happened and perhaps the dad was in the wrong. If you had to guess, you seem to think something awful happened or the kid has serious problems that need to be addressed.

Disagreed. I'm not saying that Hardy was on the edge, and about to shoot his dad, or is a walking psychopath.

I am saying that it is a serious lack of judgment to pull a gun (doesn't matter if he pointed it) when a situation gets a little heated. As a gun owner and a licensed concealed carry guy, Hardy should have known that. It was incredibly irresponsible.

His irresponsibility is what the Bills need to address. Basically, IMO, he needs to grow up, and grow up fast, before something serious does happen.

I was going to reply to the point above from Bill, but MDH basically beat me to it -- pulling a gun isn't an indication of how tough his Dad is, it's a sign of how troubled the "kid" is.

Or maybe they were in a minor fistfight (which we now know they were) and he didn't want the gun he knew was there going off in his pants?

(Joe Miner @ May 13 2008, 07:14 AM) *

So now we're assuming...

(Joe Miner @ May 13 2008, 07:14 AM) *

And we're going to keep going in that direction...

From all the cops I've ever talked to, that's pretty much the norm in domestic cases. Especially in cases that involve people who have had prior run ins with the cops. Is it an assumption? Yeah, but it's also an assumption to think that Hardy didn't do anything wrong. The lack of an arrest doesn't mean anything either way.