My take on the draft

Dan

Going in most posters here thought we had a few glaring holes to fill - WR, TE, CB, OG, DT. Well, upon reflection (while washing my truck for the last bit), I can only come to one logical conclusion. The FO came into the draft thinking we only needed to find about 2 starters - WR and CB.

It's fairly obvious that they started selecting BPA to fit certain need areas in the 3rd round. If they really wanted a starting TE out of this draft, there were just too many options to select a better prospect than Fine. If they really wanted depth on the Oline, they could have easily selected a few guys for that. And so forth.

IMO, they got the 2 guys they wanted - a starting CB and a starting WR. Then they just started filling the roster with depth type players that could be good on Special Teams and possibly surprise us all and step into as starters roll in a few years.

So, I ask, is it possible that the team is closer to competing for a playoff spot than many posters think? Personally, I thought we were still 1 year away from a draft like this. Apparently, the FO disagrees. I guess we'll see in November.

Going in most posters here thought we had a few glaring holes to fill - WR, TE, CB, OG, DT. Well, upon reflection (while washing my truck for the last bit), I can only come to one logical conclusion. The FO came into the draft thinking we only needed to find about 2 starters - WR and CB.

It's fairly obvious that they started selecting BPA to fit certain need areas in the 3rd round. If they really wanted a starting TE out of this draft, there were just too many options to select a better prospect than Fine. If they really wanted depth on the Oline, they could have easily selected a few guys for that. And so forth.

IMO, they got the 2 guys they wanted - a starting CB and a starting WR. Then they just started filling the roster with depth type players that could be good on Special Teams and possibly surprise us all and step into as starters roll in a few years.

So, I ask, is it possible that the team is closer to competing for a playoff spot than many posters think? Personally, I thought we were still 1 year away from a draft like this. Apparently, the FO disagrees. I guess we'll see in November.

Really, after the first 2 rounds, can you really expect a first year impact player? The Bills sucked last year, you can't fill so many holes with one draft. People can bicker about what position should be filled with the first picks, but did you really think we were gonna find a tight end in the 3rd or 4th that was gonna "open up the offense" or be a real impact player?

It happens, but the odds aren't very good.

They got good prospects for starters in two positions of need (CB, WR), the rest of the guys are projects, the same for every team.

Really, after the first 2 rounds, can you really expect a first year impact player? The Bills sucked last year, you can't fill so many holes with one draft. People can bicker about what position should be filled with the first picks, but did you really think we were gonna find a tight end in the 3rd or 4th that was gonna "open up the offense" or be a real impact player?

They got good prospects for starters in two positions of need (CB, WR), the rest of the guys are projects, the same for every team.

I wouldn't say you should "expect" a first year impact player in round 3, but that being said, there are certainly ones out there. Seems like we went for depth when we could have addressed potential starter needs...

This is what I was thinking too, which is why I didn't like the second day picks. The only thing I can say in defense of the FO is that last year wasn't a great indication of where this team actually is due to all the injuries. We're really not just adding two starters from this draft, but all of the guys who we lost last year, including guys like Simpson and Poz.

Here's hoping.

No. But that's my point. If the Bills' brass really thought we needed one, they could have traded up and gotten one. In the past 2 drafts they've traded back up to get players. This year they seemed content to get those situational/depth kind of guys. That's my point. Many think we needed a stud TE or a new C, apparently, Brandon doesn't.

This probably sums up best the opinions of many on this board perfectly. IMO the value of the draft is early on. The first 3 rounds you get your starters, and later on you work on depth, but more importantly you pick players based on how effective you think they will be in time. You don't take a crappy TE in the 3rd if you don't think the value is there. You don't take a center in the 3rd if you don't like who is available. That is the quickest way to build a team full of average players.

This is what I was thinking too, which is why I didn't like the second day picks. The only thing I can say in defense of the FO is that last year wasn't a great indication of where this team actually is due to all the injuries. We're really not just adding two starters from this draft, but all of the guys who we lost last year, including guys like Simpson and Poz.

Here's hoping.

Agree 100%. I'm still very optimistic for the season, but then again, I'm always optimistic about the Bills.

I wouldn't say you should "expect" a first year impact player in round 3, but that being said, there are certainly ones out there. Seems like we went for depth when we could have addressed potential starter needs...

I don't agree with this. All of our first 4 picks will probably see a lot of playing time...

Week 3 Tom Brady 23-29 311 yards 4TD's 0INT's. Final Score NE 38 Buff 7

Week 11 Tom Brady 31-39 373 yards 5TD's 0INT's. Final Score NE 56 Buff 10

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Totals Tom Brady 54-68 (79%) 684yards 9TD's 0INT's NE 94 Buff 17

The Bills had 0 sacks and 0INT's. I think the team needed to improve there pass defense. :bag:

Under the title of... FWIW... NFLN TA just ended with a quick segment..who's under the radar and had a good draft. Tom Waddle selected the Bills. Said we made alot of good moves and got some great talent.

No. But that's my point. If the Bills' brass really thought we needed one, they could have traded up and gotten one. In the past 2 drafts they've traded back up to get players. This year they seemed content to get those situational/depth kind of guys. That's my point. Many think we needed a stud TE or a new C, apparently, Brandon doesn't.

Not necessarily. I think we need to improve those positions too, and it is reasonable to argue about the top picks, but they had needs at WR and CB, and there didn't seem to be a TE worth the 11th pick (how do you know that they didn't try to make trades?).

Blah blah blah blah blah........

How many rookie starters do you think a team is going to get out a draft?

Really, do you think they don't know Fowler blows?

do you think they don't know they could vastly improve at TE?

There aren't even many pro TE prospects that come out of college each year. It's not like RB or WR. Which TE did you want at 11?

I would rather that they waited until next year to fill a position with a top pick or in free agency than waste picks on marginal players that aren't any better than the guys they already have.

There aren't even many pro TE prospects that come out of college each year. It's not like RB or WR. Which TE did you want at 11?

I would rather that they waited until next year to fill a position with a top pick or in free agency than waste picks on marginal players that aren't any better than the guys they already have.

this has been my whole stance too.

people are posting like they think Jauron is going to come into work tomorrow and go "OMG, WE FORGOT TO TALK ABOUT OFFENSIVE LINE FOR THE PAST 3 MONTHS!"

Not necessarily. I think we need to improve those positions too, and it is reasonable to argue about the top picks, but they had needs at WR and CB, and there didn't seem to be a TE worth the 11th pick (how do you know that they didn't try to make trades?).

Blah blah blah blah blah........

How many rookie starters do you think a team is going to get out a draft?

Well seeing as how the Chiefs were all about saying they expected 6 starters; I'd say a team gets out of a draft what they want (for the most part).

And yes, they may have tried to trade up and/or down and couldn't. However, I would think that if they wanted to move up a few spots sinto the high second or mid second, they could have. Plenty of teams moved around with fairly reasonable offers - why couldn't the Bills if they wanted to? My guess is they didn't because they didn't want to.

That's exactly what I'm suggesting. Just because you or I think they blow, that doesn't mean that Jauron does.

I agree.

good post, and i agree completely. IMO, a team can expect a starter out of rounds 1 and 2. Anything after that will see time, but i dont think it is reasonable to expect a 3rd rounder to start, unless your team is a mess and you are starting over (atlanta, miami, kc, etc).

I find it funny that everyone was screaming for best player available before the draft, thats exactly what the Bills did today, but now a lot around these parts think the draft was garbage. I think BPA needs to be redefined into the TBD definition "best OL/DL available." Many here would rather see a 6th round graded OL taken in round 4 over another player with a 3rd or 4th round grade.

I don't know about an 'impact' player, but I think you can definitely find contributors throughout the draft. I think you also have to consider their impact on the team 2-3 years down the road and when you don't even bother trying, its a guarantee that you won't find a quality player on offense in those spots, whether they make their impact immediately or a few years down the road.

My preference would have been to trade up from that #114 spot to pick Jermichael Finley, who went to Green Bay late in R3. And maybe Derek Fine is better than I think, but I'd just like to see them try a quality prospect in the first couple of rounds at that position for a change.

The draft went about as well as it could have in the 1st 3 rounds. 3 out of the top 4 needs were filled with non-reaches. Edwards and the offense still need an upgrade at Tight End - it is now the weakest position by far on paper...Royal is mediocre and our 2nd Tight End is either Teyo Johnson, Schouman, Fine, or the other guy the Raiders cut .

Well seeing as how the Chiefs were all about saying they expected 6 starters; I'd say a team gets out of a draft what they want (for the most part).

And yes, they may have tried to trade up and/or down and couldn't. However, I would think that if they wanted to move up a few spots sinto the high second or mid second, they could have. Plenty of teams moved around with fairly reasonable offers - why couldn't the Bills if they wanted to? My guess is they didn't because they didn't want to.

That's exactly what I'm suggesting. Just because you or I think they blow, that doesn't mean that Jauron does.

I agree.

I was going to type " how many starters with the picks the Bills had" or "with a pick each round" but I thought that was implicit. The Chiefs traded away a pro bowler for more picks, that's obviously a special case. And it remains to be seen if they get 6 starters, and if the starters are any good, and if the Chiefs will still blow (likely). Is there anyone more full of Sh*t in the NFL than Herm Edwards?

I think that Everyone knows that Fowler blows (poetry). The tight ends? I think that they know they could do a lot better, but that there aren't that many hot shot TE's to choose from each draft.

WR or TE in the second round? My preference for this draft, and this team, WR.

I'm not convinced that Antonio Gates or Dallas Clark would have been any good in last years offense. I think the OC and the QB's were way more to blame than the TE's.

Trent Edwards?

yea, why not list EVERY player that has been a late round rookie starter? Plus I wouldn't call him a great rookie success, he is more like a nice developing player

I said it HAPPENS, but RARELY!

And he was a VALUE pick!, Exactly what everyone is complaining about. They wanted to get a rookie starting TE and center in the 4th round, that change the offense into a juggernaut.

Do you think they felt "well, this guy could start at TE and transform our offense, but we need some special teamers"? They took the guys the thought would be good players. Most later rd guys don't end up starting, or even stay in the league. they are looking for guys that are good enough to be pros.

The Bills FO did a great job on the second day. Maybe they like the guys that were brought in via free agency. We have like six TEs and I am sure they think that at least one is going to pan out besides RR. What holes were going to filled on the second day of the draft ? NONE ! We picked guys with good character and added some special team depth. I think the scouts had allot of pull in this draft and there opinion was valued.

Everyone acts like we missed out on next coming of Jesus !

My preference would have been to trade up from that #114 spot to pick Jermichael Finley, who went to Green Bay late in R3. And maybe Derek Fine is better than I think, but I'd just like to see them try a quality prospect in the first couple of rounds at that position for a change.

I agree with you on this point. I don't know how good the 3rd round + TEs are but it appears that we waited around and when our turn came, picked who we thought would be adequate. As opposed to trading up and grabbing someone we needed. Granted, this is pure speculation but this incessant desire to add depth to the D is at the expense of similar attention to the O. A more balanced focus would have been nice. I am by no means trashing the entire draft but simply observing that the relative inattention to the O throughout this off-season has been frustrating.