4th Round Selection: Reggie Corner CB, Akron

Reggie Corner

Height: 5-93/8 | Weight: 180 | 40-Time: 4.49

Official Bio

Strengths:

A ballhawk in the secondary...Great instincts and awareness...Nice hands and ball skills...More quick than fast but he has a burst to close....Very smooth and flips his hips well...Displays good footwork...Competitive...Confident...Excellent production.

Weaknesses:

Doesn't have the ideal size that you look for...Timed speed is merely average....Is not real strong or physical...Struggles to match up with big wideouts...Intelligence has been questioned....Level of competition is a concern...Upside might be limited.

Notes:

Was a four-year starter for the Zips....Earned first team All-MAC honors....Doesn't have everything that you look for from a size / speed perspective but manages to get the job done and is just a good football player..Probably won't profile as much more than a nickel type at the next level....Could be a poor-man's Nathan Vasher.

Linkage

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clearly we need DL help, but they did get that in the 3d. I agree that they should continue to look for more OL and DL help after this, but I have no problem with this pick trying to improve a secondary that was woeful last year. A defense works as a unit -- a good secondary will help the pass rush.

As someone said, ya gotta cover Well-kah, and a LB ain't gonna do it.

A good secondary will help the pass rush? You've got that backwards. A good pass rush will help the secondary.

11:33, Sunday, April 27th 2008:

Buffalo Bills War Room

One Bills Drive

Orchard Park, NY

Jauron: Mr. Wilson, we need to get our pick in, we have 45 seconds left - should we go with the center from Oklahoma, or do you want to look at another defensive back?

Ralph: Whad'ya say?

Jauron: Would you like a Center or a Corner?

Modrak: 30 Seconds...

Ralph: Center or what now, son?

Jauron: CORNER!

Modrak: 15 SECONDS!

Ralph: Coroner?

Jauron & Modrak: CORNER!!!

11:38 Radio City Music Hall

NFL 2008 Draft

NY, NY

Goodell: And with the 114th pick the Buffalo Bills select...

:thumbsup:

What they're saying about Corner

"First off he plays a lot bigger than his size. He's very, very good in his run support. Good instincts, good coverage ability, very good ball skills. Really there aren't many negatives. They played Ohio State, Indiana and he covered Hardy and that was a split. They both did well (Hardy had just 4 catches for 65 yards and a TD). He rose above the competition in those games. You turn on the film and he's an exciting player. He's a 4.5 guy that plays like a 4.4 guy."

Bills scout - Tom Roth

Really? Didn't the Pats* score 8 straight TDs against this D last time around by primarily passing the ball? A friggin 4th round project at TE isn't going to help stop that anytime soon. An overlooked and talented CB might.

No kidding. How tall is wes welker, BTW?

2 things...

1. Mike Mayock really liked both the McKelvin and Corner pick

2. now i know this wont compute with most of you, but it IS possible that the next hghest OL on the Bills draft chart was rated 150 or so, so they felt there was no need to reach just so they can say they took an OL.

This pick made the least sense to me.... the kid is a ball hawking smurf, but at the time There were very good OLBs and TEs available which seemingly fit much better than another corner who might be 5th or 6th on the team, while a TE or OLB would at least be a #2 or 3.... THEN with the 5th round pick you can afford to go get FB Owen Schmitt.... The team is misfiring badly today... they had their chances at getting much better players at positions that were thinner in depth.... I have no problem with a CB somewhere later on....

Funny thing is.... then with the 6th pick we take a RB! ??WTF??

I am trying to have faith in the scout team but this just makes so little sense to me!

Listening to the scouts, they love the guy. They seem pretty damn excited to have him. Doesn't really mean anything, but usually during those interviews everyone's so stoic, it's nice to see some emotion.

A good secondary will help the pass rush? You've got that backwards. A good pass rush will help the secondary.

Never heard of a coverage sack? Once again, the defense works as a unit...benefiting one area will help the others as well.

You don't even know the guys name who we signed in FA? That is funny. I consider him our best CB at the moment, and I'm really glad we have James here.

eh. James is ok. i dunno if I want him as a starter. It will be interesting to see if they start McKelvin out of the box or if they spot him in and let him run back kicks for awhile.

McGee

McKelvin

Greer

James assuming he stays healthy and Youboty doesn't remember how to play football

Corner or Youboty depending on who steps up

IMO - barring an act of God Youboty is gone, possibly first cuts at camp.

The more I hear about him the more I'm liking (I did see 1 game of his didn't really jump out) Sounds like a Greer type player. So for a #4 CB he will be very good. Would I draft him in round 4 no, but I can't really do anything about it.

eh. James is ok. i dunno if I want him as a starter. It will be interesting to see if they start McKelvin out of the box or if they spot him in and let him run back kicks for awhile.

McGee

McKelvin

Greer

James assuming he stays healthy and Youboty doesn't remember how to play football

Corner or Youboty depending on who steps up

IMO - barring an act of God Youboty is gone, possibly first cuts at camp.

I see us keeping 6 DBs and 4 safeties.... Plus an STer...(Maybe not)

Starters (Initially) - McGee and Greer with James as Nickel back and Mckelvin/Corner/youboty as Dime backs.... with reserves being the two that lost the Dime spot.

After the BYE I think our Starters might look more like....McKelvin and Mcgee with Greer/james in the nickel and whomever loses out in the dime... I think Wendling will be the STer we carry.... if we do...

Listening to the scouts, they love the guy. They seem pretty damn excited to have him. Doesn't really mean anything, but usually during those interviews everyone's so stoic, it's nice to see some emotion.

I did notice the same thing in the Presser after the Corner Pick...They LOVE this Kid...They said over and over again the only negative is His height...I think they actually said that some in The Bills Organization felt He was the best CB in this Draft...Does not mean a thing until We see this Him against NFL competition...But there is no question The Bills were going to Draft Corner unless someone blindsided them... :D

I did notice the same thing in the Presser after the Corner Pick...They LOVE this Kid...They said over and over again the only negative is His height...I think they actually said that some in The Bills Organization felt He was the best CB in this Draft...Does not mean a thing until We see this Him against NFL competition...But there is no question The Bills were going to Draft Corner unless someone blindsided them... :D

If this were so, then why on earth would they use a #11 on McKelvin? Are there any other positions out there that matter even a little?

If this were so, then why on earth would they use a #11 on McKelvin? Are there any other positions out there that matter even a little?

WR, DE, TE, LB, OT all mattered a little in this draft. DT mattered a little when we used a 3rd for Stroud. G, OT, LB, RB mattered when we spent boat loads of money and high draft picks on them last year.