Truth, Justice, and the American Way...

stuckincincy

She can double space park then IMHO. The rare occasions where maybe the handicapped space makes sense doesn't justify or balance out the vast majority of time where the space just goes vacant. In California, land is expensive and parking lots are usually to small for the mall or strip mall and the city makes way to many handicapped spaces creating a case of musical chairs for the rest of us non handicapped folks.

Man, you non handicapped folks REALLY have it tough. :P

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rookie douche bag. Yes "ratting" someone out is bad in "every" situation. :P

Hahaha. Nice! Good to know that your number of posts qualifies you for whatever position you've bestowed upon yourself in your Bills website fantasy world.

How about, the guy who drove the car was on his way back from the doctor's office and didn't get his handicapped permit yet? How about, he was driving his handicapped grandmother to the store? How about, he's is one of the tens of millions of Americans who doesn't have health insurance and can't afford to get his injuries looked at? How about letting the cop do his job? I love how everyone here immediately played the holier-than-thou card and said, "YEAH!!! GET THAT BASTARD!!! SHOULD'VE TOWED HIM!!!" But I know, I'm the douche bag...

And if it was just some prick taking a handicapped spot, is it the biggest deal in the world? The next handicapped person has to park in one of the other four spaces, or (gasp!) with the common folk a whole 40 feet further from the front door??? I'm not making light of the disabled...I'm merely saying that I think they can handle it. As we've all seen many times, while the spaces are valuable for many, handicapped passes are handed out for migraine headaches and shoulder injuries!!!!

Just because somebody does something wrong doesn't automatically make it my business. However, I also am not in favor of the police state that you strokes seem to be patting yourselves on the back about. Get over yourselves!!!

Man, you non handicapped folks REALLY have it tough. :thumbsup:

:P People have problems with handicapped spaces? :wallbash: Pick your battles. What about Darfur, Burma, Tibet? Malaria, AIDS, dirty water and starvation? Education, the deficit, world peace, poverty, the economy? No lets argue about handicapped parking spaces

:P People have problems with handicapped spaces? :wallbash: Pick your battles. What about Darfur, Burma, Tibet? Malaria, AIDS, dirty water and starvation? Education, the deficit, world peace, poverty, the economy? No lets argue about handicapped parking spaces

I was thinking hard about solutions to those problems while I was driving home today, and I think I was making some progress...But then some guy in front of me changed lanes without signaling, so I immediately dialed 911 to report this horrid violation.

I think it's stupid to have handicap spots to start with. Park in a regular spot like the rest of us. If you really have mobility issues then get dropped off in front of the store in the unloading zone.

Okay, so MOST aren't driving themselves. Personally, I don't buy it, but lets say that's correct just for the sake of argument.

So if they aren't driving themselves, and can't help themselves, that means somebody else is. So the guy that mentioned above about his son, you really expect him to park in the middle of the "unloading zone" while potentially blocking traffic, to "unload" his son, in front of everyone, then leave his son there, and go find a parking spot? I'm sure its comforting for the driver to just leave someone, often times their child, sitting in their wheelchair by themselves unwatched. That makes absolutely no sense.

Give them a parking spot that is close, so they can properly handle the difficulties they often times can't help in the first place.

Okay, so MOST aren't driving themselves. Personally, I don't buy it, but lets say that's correct just for the sake of argument.

So if they aren't driving themselves, and can't help themselves, that means somebody else is. So the guy that mentioned above about his son, you really expect him to park in the middle of the "unloading zone" while potentially blocking traffic, to "unload" his son, in front of everyone, then leave his son there, and go find a parking spot? I'm sure its comforting for the driver to just leave someone, often times their child, sitting in their wheelchair by themselves unwatched. That makes absolutely no sense.

Give them a parking spot that is close, so they can properly handle the difficulties they often times can't help in the first place.

<channeling FiSD>

handicapped people should really not leave their houses, then no problem. California gets 2.3 million extra parking spaces for illegal aliens.

</FiSD>

ok ok...give the freakin Dali Lama a parking space and be done with it, for goodness sake! Who the hell is Darfur Burma? Guess we could give her one too!

Pardon me for attempting to read dablanc's mind...damn, its skeery in there.

Anyway, I think what he means is that life will catch up to people who park in handicapped spots. Someday they will find themselves infirm with a blue sticker of their own.

:wallbash: After rereading that I think you're right. Sorry Phil. Sometimes I jump to conclusions. I shouldn't do that. I tend to get heated before I think fully. Sorry. :thumbsup:

She can double space park then IMHO. The rare occasions where maybe the handicapped space makes sense doesn't justify or balance out the vast majority of time where the space just goes vacant. In California, land is expensive and parking lots are usually to small for the mall or strip mall and the city makes way to many handicapped spaces creating a case of musical chairs for the rest of us non handicapped folks.

I should have saved my snide remark for FISD. :P

Hahaha. Nice! Good to know that your number of posts qualifies you for whatever position you've bestowed upon yourself in your Bills website fantasy world.

How about, the guy who drove the car was on his way back from the doctor's office and didn't get his handicapped permit yet? How about, he was driving his handicapped grandmother to the store? How about, he's is one of the tens of millions of Americans who doesn't have health insurance and can't afford to get his injuries looked at? How about letting the cop do his job? I love how everyone here immediately played the holier-than-thou card and said, "YEAH!!! GET THAT BASTARD!!! SHOULD'VE TOWED HIM!!!" But I know, I'm the douche bag...

And if it was just some prick taking a handicapped spot, is it the biggest deal in the world? The next handicapped person has to park in one of the other four spaces, or (gasp!) with the common folk a whole 40 feet further from the front door??? I'm not making light of the disabled...I'm merely saying that I think they can handle it. As we've all seen many times, while the spaces are valuable for many, handicapped passes are handed out for migraine headaches and shoulder injuries!!!!

Just because somebody does something wrong doesn't automatically make it my business. However, I also am not in favor of the police state that you strokes seem to be patting yourselves on the back about. Get over yourselves!!!

Didya read Albany's post about the problems unloading his father with a car nearby? Didya read Thirdborn's posts about how difficult it is for him and his child if a car parks close? It's not hard to get a handicapped sticker, as has been pointed out, I'm sure the people who really need one would not find it difficult to obtain one. Believe me, I worked in a hospital closely with doctors. If one of them saw a guy who needed one having to walk in they would have helped the guy pro-bono.

Limp those 40 feet in my stepdad's shoes -- two artificial knees and one hip replacement -- then get back to me.

Usually really mobility handicapped folks I'm refering to are not driving themselves. If your mobil enough to drive by yourself, then you can park like the rest of us.

My 81 year old mother get along fine on her own. She doesn't drive at night anymore or go on the highway, but she goes to the doctor, shopping, and taking her 91 year old sister (who could still drive if her vision was better) around. She has osteoporosis, sciatica and arthritis and needs a cane a lot of the time. If she had to walk far at a place like Galleria Mall, she wouldn't go shopping. If you get to that age, being able to get around keeps you going.

Hell, two weeks after she had an operation for appendicitis last summer, the doctor gave her a clean bill of health.

True conversation with my daughter:

Her: Daddy why is that lady in the Lexus parking in Handicapped spot? She does not have handicapped plates or hanger?

Me: Mentally handicapped people do not know they need to hang up their permit. Hopefully a kind officer will remind them in small words in court.

Conversation was in earshot of Lexus driver.

methinks it was simply a case of one of the rare bad days in the land of whales vagina, hopefully it will get back to the regularly scheduled perfect weather and the san diegans can get back to their normal self.....

....course he could just be a bastard

Proof positive that FiSD really is a stupid ass.

Or he's playin us like a violin.

I'm sticking with the stupid ass hypothesis.

Limp those 40 feet in my stepdad's shoes -- two artificial knees and one hip replacement -- then get back to me.

Believe me, my stance here is as far away as possible from "Anti-handicapped parking." It is invaluable for many, and somewhat eases the hassle of something as simple as going to the store, taken for granted by myself and many others. I fully realize that the wider spaces, access aisles, and proximity to the facility entrance are a must for the majority of the elderly and people with disabilities.

My posts are more of a reaction to the original poster bragging about "ratting someone out," followed by the others high-fiving him for chasing down a cop and getting someone a ticket....And just assuming that the person who parked there was in the wrong.

I fully understand that the original poster felt what he was doing was right...I just am a little wary of the way everyone thinks that EVERYTHING that occurs is their business. There are plenty of valid reasons why a person without a ADA parking permit would park in that spot, and I listed some of them above. I wonder if the poster would've been so cavalier about busting this guy if he had a 1994 Dodge Caravan, rather than "a spiffy ride with tricked out wheels." He made PLENTY of assumptions when he decided it was his place to hand out a $250 ticket.

Parking near the back of the lot is the way to go! I zip in, park immediately, and get entertainment walking into and out of the store watching all the lazy people get angry fighting for their spots and dodging people coming out of the store with their carts. After the show, I get to my car with a smile on my face and zip out with minimal obstacles.

The penalty for all this fun? I have to walk 50 yards. How awful. :P

Parking near the back of the lot is the way to go! I zip in, park immediately, and get entertainment walking into and out of the store watching all the lazy people get angry fighting for their spots and dodging people coming out of the store with their carts. After the show, I get to my car with a smile on my face and zip out with minimal obstacles.

The penalty for all this fun? I have to walk 50 yards. How awful. :beer:

Word.

I worry about tons of dumb crap, but taking a short walk in a parking lot is not one of them. I'm happy to do it.

Usually really mobility handicapped folks I'm refering to are not driving themselves. If your mobil enough to drive by yourself, then you can park like the rest of us.

so my 85 YO grandma should park 500 yards away...lol....great idea....

ok ok...give the freakin Dali Lama a parking space and be done with it, for goodness sake! Who the hell is Darfur Burma? Guess we could give her one too!

She did that show on ABC with that guy Greg, Darfur Burma and Greg I believe.

I love how fat is the new handicapped. If anything, these people should be forced to park farther away and walk.

This reminds me of something that I always get a good laugh out of. I work in the 9th floor so I'm taking the elevator most of the time. The 2nd floor of this building has a weight management center. Just about everyone going there always takes the elevator. You know, maybe you wouldn't have to go there half as much if you took the single flight of stairs. Yeah, there are a few people where I understand that they have to use the elevator, but I'm always rolling my eyes because of all the others. But then again, since I work in diabetes research, these people are keeping me employed.

That's just wrong. I might idle in a handicapped spot (though I can't recall ever doing it), but if someone with a tag needs to park there...yeah, you better believe I'll give up the spot.

A woman in my office somehow has handicapped parking privileges for a rotator cuff injury...

:lol: I have a torn medial meniscus and patellar cartilage. Frequently, I have to use a cane. I have to part 200 yards away. Maybe I should tear my rotator cuff so I can park closer... :beer:

DC....I feel I should also preface my comments that if a person need to park closer to the store because of an ailment then they def should be able to do so. I am just thinking of those who get the permits and dont need them could do with some time on the treadmill. I have members in my own family that have those permits and dont need them but def some people do.

I think it's stupid to have handicap spots to start with. Park in a regular spot like the rest of us. If you really have mobility issues then get dropped off in front of the store in the unloading zone.

So I should pick up my quadrapalegic 5 yr old and his chair with 60 lbs of equiptment that helps him breathe, and pack him into my prius , and wait behind the guy idling in front of the store waiting for his fat wife, so that it's fair to everyone? Why didn't I think of that? :beer:

I love watching you pathetic mopes twist around in your own bull sh--. It's really hysterical from my perspective.

Parents with quadriplegic five year old children are pathetic mopes? If you believe that you truly are a pathetic POS!

Parents with quadriplegic five year old children are pathetic mopes? If you believe that you truly are a pathetic POS!

wow i read this whole post and there are some sick people, i totally agree..... but next thing you know he and longlive raplh will come back with another comment showing all we are doing is profiling because the person getting the ticket was in some tricked out vehicle and not a 1990 hoopty........ come on..... you must be kidding me---- good to see so many of us "normal" people defending what shouldn't even need to be defended in the first place

The way I see it handicapped spaces are a very small price we pay for including the handicapped in society. Far better than the days not so long ago where many of the handicapped couldn't get access to education or employment or pretty much anything else because of lack of physical access. Handicapped parking, TTY's curb cuts and all of that aren't all that big of a deal and the result is many people with disabilities can work, get an education etc.. It also gives those not handicapped the opportunity to work and be educated with people with disabilities and work through their own prejudices. Good for you stuckin...

I fully understand that the original poster felt what he was doing was right...I just am a little wary of the way everyone thinks that EVERYTHING that occurs is their business. There are plenty of valid reasons why a person without a ADA parking permit would park in that spot, and I listed some of them above. I wonder if the poster would've been so cavalier about busting this guy if he had a 1994 Dodge Caravan, rather than "a spiffy ride with tricked out wheels." He made PLENTY of assumptions when he decided it was his place to hand out a $250 ticket.

I think you are missing the point. First of all, a couple of cited incidents in this thread do not imply the posters think 'everything' is their business. Secondly, one can rationalize just about anything and any action of people in this world. But there are some laws which are rooted in humanity and intended to assist those less fortunate than most of us. While I would not call the cops about someone going 10 miles over on an open road, I would not hesitate to draw the cops attention to a guy taking the purse of an elderly lady (no matter how badly the guy needs her money). Thinking that you have a reason for doing something does not imply you are correct or lawful in activities. And the OP did not hand out a ticket, he brought the apparent infraction to the attention of a cop who then made a judgment of right or wrong. If say the guy in the spiffy ride was physically impaired but simply forgot his tag, do you think the cop would have ticketed him ?

I think you are missing the point. First of all, a couple of cited incidents in this thread do not imply the posters think 'everything' is their business. Secondly, one can rationalize just about anything and any action of people in this world. But there are some laws which are rooted in humanity and intended to assist those less fortunate than most of us. While I would not call the cops about someone going 10 miles over on an open road, I would not hesitate to draw the cops attention to a guy taking the purse of an elderly lady (no matter how badly the guy needs her money). Thinking that you have a reason for doing something does not imply you are correct or lawful in activities. And the OP did not hand out a ticket, he brought the apparent infraction to the attention of a cop who then made a judgment of right or wrong. If say the guy in the spiffy ride was physically impaired but simply forgot his tag, do you think the cop would have ticketed him ?

I'm not missing the point...I agree with every requirement brought on by the Americans with Disabilities Act, and firmly believe that it is in EVERY business's best interest to make their facility as accessible as possible for all people.

I suppose I would just give the "tricked out ride" the benefit of the doubt...Maybe it's a 19-year old kid who drove his grandmother to the store. Maybe it's just some lazy prick. Either way, there is a sign right in front of his face warning him that parking without a permit is a $250 fine. I guess I would let the cop on duty locate him and write him up. I personally wouldn't make it my business, and I certainly wouldn't brag about getting someone busted after the fact.

I agree completey with your statement that having a reason for doing something doesn't qualify that something as legal. I too would make every attempt to stop someone who stole a purse or was assaulting somebody.

I guess my line of thinking is...If stuckincincy is such a champion of the disabled, there are hundreds of other, better, MORE REWARDING ways to help....And then coming to this message board and discussing those activities would sound much better than, "I just ratted someone out to the cops who was parked in a handicapped spot. HOORAY FOR ME!!!"

:thumbsup:

This is starting to rank up there with "Volunteer Firemen are arsonists"

We've just recently passed "I talk to janitors and people who ride the bus all the time" territory and rocketting ever higher.

I dont know if we have gotten to that point yet..... getting close though..... ah the good ole days of big green tub o crap and billdo.... wherever have they gone?

I love watching you pathetic mopes twist around in your own bull sh--. It's really hysterical from my perspective.

Up until this post, I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt. I'm done here.