Originally Losman was supposed to have some of Farve's

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn, I forgot Unitas. You one-upped me again. Good call.

Please consider removing brady though...nothing good from him would rise to the top.

Point well taken. We'll just carve out Brady's chin dimple, just for flavor. So let's throw some Staubach in and see what we get.

If you're talking about Tim or Liz, you're right on the money. If you're talking about Matt then :lol: .

What? No comparisons to Gary Marangi or Joe Dufek? Edwards finish last year surely was an uninspiring finish. In fact, I can only recall one game, his initial start against the Jets that he consistently moved the chains. His multi-TD game against Miami was a very mediocre game, except the 3 scores, but I guess that's the bottom line though.

All in all, we're taking a risk with Edwards, yet not a huge one since JP as been a hot & cold type player (more cold than hot although I would like to see how he'd perform with a better OC than what he's had to date). If Edwards can become a consistently decent QB, all will be forgotten with the JP scenario. If not, this board will be calling for his head.....

For me, I'll wait and see. So far I'm not impressed at all with his ability to go downfield, yet his short game and pocket presence seems more than adequate. Time will tell....

What? No comparisons to Gary Marangi or Joe Dufek? Edwards finish last year surely was an uninspiring finish. In fact, I can only recall one game, his initial start against the Jets that he consistently moved the chains. His multi-TD game against Miami was a very mediocre game, except the 3 scores, but I guess that's the bottom line though.

All in all, we're taking a risk with Edwards, yet not a huge one since JP as been a hot & cold type player (more cold than hot although I would like to see how he'd perform with a better OC than what he's had to date). If Edwards can become a consistently decent QB, all will be forgotten with the JP scenario. If not, this board will be calling for his head.....

For me, I'll wait and see. So far I'm not impressed at all with his ability to go downfield, yet his short game and pocket presence seems more than adequate. Time will tell....

Why prolong the agony. Call for his head now.

So now JP has never been properly coached? Here's YOUR chance, then. What is the problem with JP's short throws and why does he have that problem? Now, how would you PROPERLY coach him to correct what causes the problem?

GO BILLS!!!

I NEVER CLAIMED TO BE A COACH. :lol: That said, the throw starts with the feet, & from what I have seen that looks to be his problem, setting up for the throw is important. Having watched the Bills Denver game on NFL Network a couple weeks ago, it looks like Schonert may have helped him already, I did not see any bounces in that game.

faster delivery than Hasselbeck and not quite as reckless with the football. If you want to compare him to an all time great (which apparently it was ok to do with Favre/Losman), I think he's more like Montana than any of the other hall of famers - unflappable, accurate passer, not the greatest athlete for a qb or the biggest arm.

I NEVER CLAIMED TO BE A COACH. :lol: That said, the throw starts with the feet, & from what I have seen that looks to be his problem, setting up for the throw is important. Having watched the Bills Denver game on NFL Network a couple weeks ago, it looks like Schonert may have helped him already, I did not see any bounces in that game.

And you don't have to be a coach to see what's wrong with JP's mechanics. It's ALL about his feet when he's in trouble. You are absolutely correct in that diagnosis.

My problem with your original post was I thought it suggested that JP has NOT had proper coaching. And that is simply preposterous. He's had it since college. EVERY QB coach at the pro level especially, KNOWS how to teach mechanics. Hell, most HS coaches can nowadays. Teaching mechanics is simple. It's having a student MASTER them that's difficult.

In my (and others) estimation, JP WON'T master his mechanical breakdowns until he masters the main reason for them: he tends to panic when his first option is not there. And then his mechanics (starting with his feet) go out the window. He has shown some abililty to make something out of nothing but not often enough to overcome the number of times he's flubbed it.

GO BILLS!!!

And you don't have to be a coach to see what's wrong with JP's mechanics. It's ALL about his feet when he's in trouble. You are absolutely correct in that diagnosis.

My problem with your original post was I thought it suggested that JP has NOT had proper coaching. And that is simply preposterous. He's had it since college. EVERY QB coach at the pro level especially, KNOWS how to teach mechanics. Hell, most HS coaches can nowadays. Teaching mechanics is simple. It's having a student MASTER them that's difficult.

In my (and others) estimation, JP WON'T master his mechanical breakdowns until he masters the main reason for them: he tends to panic when his first option is not there. And then his mechanics (starting with his feet) go out the window. He has shown some abililty to make something out of nothing but not often enough to overcome the number of times he's flubbed it.

GO BILLS!!!

perhaps they should have tried alarm clock therapy.

GO BILLS!!!

I think you have it exactly right. It was hard to know for sure until last year because the protection just wasn't there in the prior years. Last year he was finally given time and he was still panicking in the pocket when the first option wasn't there and then either scrambled toward the sideline (often passing it just before going out of bounds) or making a dangerous or inaccurate pass. After the first option his second tended to be unscripted and all mechanics out the window.

GO BILLS!!!

I TOTALLY AGREE with you about coaches teaching mechanics & having a student master them that's difficult. I have heard different coaches say it is especially difficult with STRONG ARMED QB's. They have said this is due to the fact they have gotten away with using poor mechanics because of their strong arm, so proper mechanics are not second nature to them as they are with a QB like Trent Edwards for example. I feel JP is still a young QB, and MAY YET become a good QB. I feel the same way about Trent, he may well become a good QB as well. (LETS HOPE SO) I just don't know about either yet, that is why I would like to see JP on the Bills one more year.

I see a mixed breed between three QBs

Donovan McNabb - Power. He doesn't have a pure cannon arm but can launch it if he wants to. See Edwards to Evans bomb or Edwards to Parrish throw.

He can not launch the ball nearly as far as McNabb can. His arm strength is average for an NFL starter at best.

I TOTALLY AGREE with you about coaches teaching mechanics & having a student master them that's difficult. I have heard different coaches say it is especially difficult with STRONG ARMED QB's. They have said this is due to the fact they have gotten away with using poor mechanics because of their strong arm, so proper mechanics are not second nature to them as they are with a QB like Trent Edwards for example. I feel JP is still a young QB, and MAY YET become a good QB. I feel the same way about Trent, he may well become a good QB as well. (LETS HOPE SO) I just don't know about either yet, that is why I would like to see JP on the Bills one more year.

GREAT point about the strong-armed aspect of his problems with mechanics. I've been saying these same things since he was a rookie but it's worth repeating in this post: what happens when you launch a rocket from an unstable platform?

GO BILLS!!!

Is there a Qb, or QBs, that Edwards remind you of? Understanding his strengths and abilities may shed some light on who would be a better compliment for him in the receiving department. I'm not sure who he reminds me of physicly but his demeanor may be along the lines of someone like Joe Montana?? I meant be way off base on this one so I'm asking for some input for a better understanding. Thanks.

I havent seen enough of him to form an opinion..At first I was impressed with the way he stood in the pocket and looked over his reads..Then I was disgruntled that he wouldnt take a shot down the field..Like he was too scared..SO as of now I have mixed feelings..I know that I do not want to go through another JP led team again and if it means finding another qb besides Trent I dont care..Just as long as its not JP

Exactly how i feel. He play ok as a rookie and im willing to see what hes got. JP played well his first full season as a starter now its TE's turn. If he plays well next year Sweet we make the playoffs. If not, bring on the CHROISE! :)

Exactly how i feel. He play ok as a rookie and im willing to see what hes got. JP played well his first full season as a starter now its TE's turn. If he plays well next year Sweet we make the playoffs. If not, bring on the CHROISE! :)

Let's be honest here: JP played well in about 5 games as a starter in 2006. Edwards played well in about 4 games (Jets, Ravens given the opponent, Redskins, and Fins).

As far as the comparison goes, if JP can be compared to Farve, Edwards could be compared to Brady here. It wasn't that long ago that Brady was considered by some folks here a dink and dunk QB who simply managed games. Let's hope TE can take the next step.

Let's be honest here: JP played well in about 5 games as a starter in 2006. Edwards played well in about 4 games (Jets, Ravens given the opponent, Redskins, and Fins).

As far as the comparison goes, if JP can be compared to Farve, Edwards could be compared to Brady here. It wasn't that long ago that Brady was considered by some folks here a dink and dunk QB who simply managed games. Let's hope TE can take the next step.

This Trent bashing is getting out of control. First of all, he played the Jets twice so that is 5 games, not 4. Most importantly, he often put up more points against his opponents than any team on their schedule except the ones that had played already. I pointed this out on the board last year when arguing with some JP lovers but those posts have conveniently disappeared.

I actually think that the game against the Redskins wasn't so great but proves a point. Trent rallied the team in the closing minute by hitting a pass he meant to throw to someone else. No way can JP pull that off. This is the kind of intangible only the great ones have.

If it weren't for his horrific performances against the Browns, Eagles, and Giants he would have had mostly games that were almost average. That is unbelievable for a rookie. Plus the kid has got a real personality. He can sometimes string two sentences together. Again, amazing for a rookie.

You know what I really like? At the end of the season he just bolts. None of this "I'm buying a house here" garbage like JP and Marshawn. That crap is just so see through. Trent is his own man and a good golfer. This down time will allow him to focus because he won't have a guilty conscience about all the fake clean up the city crap or get my mother a job at the phone company baloney.

I don't know if he'll ever compare to Brady but he is on the right track. Tom carries those man purses and sets fashion trends all over the place and won the illegitimate father of the year award in addition to several well rehearsed Super Bowls. Trent isn't there yet but those gloves he wore on cold days looked sweeeeet and I'll bet they were flying off the shelves the next day.

The bottom line is just stop bashing Trent and be happy.