Official LOST thread

ofiba

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, come to find out that this is all like a gentlemen's game of Risk, as this ep went to lengths to show us, or maybe a reverse-Highlander is a better comparison. A select group of men battle it out for control over this one or more spots on the globe. They can manipulate, kill, cajole all of these "pawns" to get what they want, but the strict rule is that they cannot hurt/kill each other, or up until tonight, their family. Kind of an old-fashioned ideal they're working with. So, now, Ben is tentatively viewed as the "good guy" in all this.... then again, from his smirk in walking away from Sayid, I don't doubt that he ordered Nadia to be killed to get Sayid to want to join him.

I assumed that Whidmore had been to the island. Remember how the island would not let Michael die. My guess is the same for Ben and Whidmore. They won't try to kill each other because they can't unless they are on the island.

Also, I think Desmond wasn't going on a race around the world to gain Penny's fathers approval like he told her. I think he was looking for the island for Penny's father.

Just wanted to mention Sawyer's selflessness in this ep. Running around trying to protect Claire and then deciding to leave Locke & Ben b/c it was too dangerous for the plebians. Then stuck up for Hurley without any smarmy nicknames. For someone who's just "survivin'" (and all the selfishness involved in that ep and in pretty much everything Sawyer's done), he's taken a new role in being a leader and putting himself last (the old Sawyer would probably make for the beach on his own). He cares for these people, as much as he wouldn't admit it.

Also, I think Desmond wasn't going on a race around the world to gain Penny's fathers approval like he told her. I think he was looking for the island for Penny's father.

Maybe, maybe not. I don't think Desmond --- in the first go-round, at least --- had foreknowledge that he would wind up on the island. It was a storm at sea --- one he thought he'd die in, b/c he tried to read "Our Mutual Friend" --- that brought him there. Whether Widmore knew what would happen is another case. I think he did; and I think he knew exactly which buttons to push to get Desmond to want to enter the race. Operates much like Ben in that regard... manipulating people and using them as the "pawns."

Also, wondering how the hell Ben suddenly got to be in the middle of the desert. If I remember right, it started with a thud and he was on the ground when it faded out of black.

---

Also, the more I think about it, the Jack flashforward in last year's finale, I'm pretty sure that it was Michael in the coffin, who was then able to kill himself b/c he couldn't live with what he did and what Walt thinks of him. That he was finally able to do it indicates something has changed on the island, it's a kind of signal that, to Jack, meant something bad had happened to the people left there, or to the island as a whole, or ...?... But the way he said the same thing on the bridge as Michael did when he was about to crash his car "I'm so sorry!" is linked. I'm also wondering if it was something like what the people on the boat are going through.

Also, wondering how the hell Ben suddenly got to be in the middle of the desert.

Same way that polar bear found its way to Tunisia.

The massive power output and the electromagnetics they've been experimenting with have helped them learn some pretty neat tricks over the years. Cloning, teleportation and tweaking the conical relationship between space and time may be among them.

I can't explain it but when I watched the scene between Widmore and Ben speaking I had an odd God speaking to the Devil moment. Widmore playing the role of God and Ben as the Devil. I realize it probably means nothing but just something I felt. I think in part because of the comment that Ben couldn't kill him yet at the same time he it felt to me like they weren't exactly equals as in Widmore was superior or perhaps that was just Whidmore arrogance coming through, just a thought. I think the Risk is an obvious comparison that the writers wanted us to see. Let's not forget Hurley's quote of "Australia being a key". I'm sure this will come up in future episodes. All and all a pretty good episode. Yet if tehre was a time for Claire to die it seems that episode was good as any so perhaps she does survive but still unsure why she'd give up Aaron to Kate.

The massive power output and the electromagnetics they've been experimenting with have helped them learn some pretty neat tricks over the years. Cloning, teleportation and tweaking the conical relationship between space and time may be among them.

Agreed.

The Dharma patch on Ben's jacket was a new one (wavy, circular lines ... almost looked like a comic book "teleportation" type effect).

Add to that he woke up shaking and vomited, I'd say he didn't just happen into the desert. He "transported there". Hence his reasoning for asking the hotel clerk the date ... particularly the year.

I can't explain it but when I watched the scene between Widmore and Ben speaking I had an odd God speaking to the Devil moment. Widmore playing the role of God and Ben as the Devil. I realize it probably means nothing but just something I felt. I think in part because of the comment that Ben couldn't kill him yet at the same time he it felt to me like they weren't exactly equals as in Widmore was superior or perhaps that was just Whidmore arrogance coming through, just a thought.

ah yes, thank you. ive had the same thought but didnt know how to properly put it. but i know exactly what you mean.

i, of course, was going to go a step crazier and try to theorize what exactly the island is as "the prize"...

would the island be then?

That's what I was mulling. Similar to the rabbit in the training video, etc. I thought that w/ the desert scenes we might have gotten a tie-in w/ the helicopter woman's flashback, but I don't think it's really necessary now, and in an indirect way, we did get a tie-in. The fossilized polar bear w/ the Dharma collar is evidence of earlier experimentation of the system Ben used.

I was going to post "like Star Trek" but didn't want all the Kirk > Picard weirdos here showing up and taking over. :lol:

Pretty bored at work today, so I checked out some LOST forums. Here's a pretty interesting theory on the location of the island:

Tunisia is located pretty much directly on the opposite side of the Earth from where the island is most likely located. You can use this tool to see what's directly on the opposite side of the Earth:

http://www.zefrank.com/sandwich/tool.html

Notice that if you target Tunisia, the opposite side of the Earth is located basically smack in the middle between New Zealand, Fiji, and Tahiti. Desmond thought he was about a week east of Fiji at 9 knots. Rousseau said she was 3 days out of Tahiti. The plane was traveling from Sydney to LA and was 1000 miles off course. This is all basically consistent with this location.

This should clear up why Tunisia has come into play now at least twice. The polar bear was found in Tunisia & Ben was in Tunisia in this episode maybe because whatever device that allows them to time travel will always drop them off on the exact opposite side of the globe?

I thought this opposite side of the earth theory was pretty interesting. Don't know if it means anything, but pretty cool none the less. Lot of talk about time travel and time portals and some really out there theories...

I thought this opposite side of the earth theory was pretty interesting. Don't know if it means anything, but pretty cool none the less. Lot of talk about time travel and time portals and some really out there theories...

If opposite of Tunisia, the island location could be on top of the international date line. Might not mean sh-- but who knows.

If opposite of Tunisia, the island location could be on top of the international date line. Might not mean sh-- but who knows.

Wow, you're right! If on the border to Tunisia and Algeria, you're right on top of the Int'l Date Line! Has to be relevant to the time travel.

I can't explain it but when I watched the scene between Widmore and Ben speaking I had an odd God speaking to the Devil moment. Widmore playing the role of God and Ben as the Devil. I realize it probably means nothing but just something I felt. I think in part because of the comment that Ben couldn't kill him yet at the same time he it felt to me like they weren't exactly equals as in Widmore was superior or perhaps that was just Whidmore arrogance coming through, just a thought. I think the Risk is an obvious comparison that the writers wanted us to see. Let's not forget Hurley's quote of "Australia being a key". I'm sure this will come up in future episodes. All and all a pretty good episode. Yet if tehre was a time for Claire to die it seems that episode was good as any so perhaps she does survive but still unsure why she'd give up Aaron to Kate.

I felt the SAME!!!!!

Agreed.

The Dharma patch on Ben's jacket was a new one (wavy, circular lines ... almost looked like a comic book "teleportation" type effect).

Add to that he woke up shaking and vomited, I'd say he didn't just happen into the desert. He "transported there". Hence his reasoning for asking the hotel clerk the date ... particularly the year.

The Dharma patch reminded me of the old tv show, Time Tunnel.

Maybe they don't teleport, but they get suspended in time until the Earth rotates and they shift back into normal time when the opposite side catches up to them. So they don't move, the other side of the Earth moves to them.

The Dharma patch reminded me of the old tv show, Time Tunnel.

Maybe they don't teleport, but they get suspended in time until the Earth rotates and they shift back into normal time when the opposite side catches up to them. So they don't move, the other side of the Earth moves to them.

Interesting theory, but if they were to apply real science to that theory you would wind up a million miles in deep space. That's because the earth not only spins, but travels around the sun. Then the sun in turn rotates around the center of the galaxy, and the galaxy rotates, and so on. If you froze in time even for a few seconds there is no way to know where you'd wind up.

I do agree there is some kind of teleportation. Here's another theory: Charles Widmore is really the captain of the Black Pearl. The island has kept him alive for all these years. He's now immortal like Richard seems to be.

PTR

Here's another theory: Charles Widmore is really the captain of the Black Pearl. The island has kept him alive for all these years. He's now immortal like Richard seems to be.

PTR

Smacks head! I've had that same thought.

Sort of like Capt. Barbosa in Pirates of the Carribean...he can only die (be at peace) when he can find a way to return to the island. In the meantime, his pirate skills come in handy in the business world! :wallbash:

'Zactly.

But are the flash forwards what's happening while they're suspended in time?

Good Episode, I believe Claires/Jacks Dad was like the Grim REaper like when he "took" claire, I believe Hurley saying there all dead has alot of meaning, and what if they are all dead? The dead cant create life, and next week looks crazy.