Official LOST thread

ofiba

I saw something on another board that made a great point...

In the beginning of the episode, we saw a shirtless Jack getting out of bed. Anone notice that he didn't have a nasty scar, as we'd expect for having his appendix removed via crude emergency surgery?

The timeframe(s) with this show is weird...

A friend of mine pointed that out...perhaps the island healed his scar away?

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, I'll just point out the intended similarities b/w Locke's story and Ben's S2 flashback. Both mothers encountered a car when they went into very early pregnancy and the baby 'miraculously' survived (with some help from either DI or the Others)... Ben's mother's name was Emily... Perhaps the island just got the wrong man in a case of mistaken identity? When Richard showed up at the orphanage and asked young John to pick his belongings, I sensed an homage to the movie about the Dhali Lama (forget... was it "Seven Years in Tibet"?) and how he is identified by selecting physical objects that belonged to the previous incarnation of the DL.

Also interesting that teen John was gifted in science and recruited by Mittelos but disavowed it b/c it made him unpopular... and became the so-called man of faith after the black dude suggested he do the walkabout for spiritual guidance. Just a way of hedging bets. But wait. These people are representing different sides of DI/Others. One is advocating science, the other faith, and it's not the way you might've guessed. DI pushing faith; Others pushing science. What's going on here?

Speaking of Richard, it seems like his appearance to young Ben may not have been an indication that he doesn't age, just that he was time-traveling at that first contact, too. Recruiting does seem to be Richard's main job.

What's the mechanical device under the military guy's arm?

Yes, is Christian alive or dead is a question that's now on the table. We've seen him, had references to him in Jack's flashforwards.... Moving the island isn't a phenomenon that's new to discussion --- and this is going back to the snow globe from the comic book. Many people have argued that the island has been in various places before and moved around.

Some really funny moments from Ben tonight. "Destiny is a fickle... B word!" and him staring at Hurley's candy bar for like 10 seconds of silence and guilting him into splitting it both had me :lol: . Something that's been lacking since Charlie's death.

Wow great episode but too much thinking late at night. Among the questions

-Why wasn't the knife John's?

-Will Sayid make it to the island?

-Are they really supposed to follow the helicopter? I think not.

I still have a left over question. Why didn't the black smoke destroy all the guys from the boat? Seemed to me like they were getting beat up pretty bad but only had one guy even come out of there hurt.

I am thinking that moving the island doesn't necessarily mean picking up the island and placing it somewhere else, I think it means moving the island to another place in time. As it stands now you have to use exact bearings to get on and off the island, by moving it in time, those bearing would no longer be valid. Also, the "soldier" received a message stating the doctors body had washed up on shore about 5 minutes before the doctor was actually killed. If this is indeed the case, I do not know how the "Oceanic 6" would ever find the island again, but it does make it all the more interesting. Just a theory, but it's the only thing that makes sense to me now. thoughts?

Also, the "soldier" received a message stating the doctors body had washed up on shore about 5 minutes before the doctor was actually killed.

Which was uberweird, given that Faraday's experiment suggested that time moved slower on the island. So, you'd think that the doctor's body wouldn't arrive until quite awhile after he was killed in off-island time. Instead, it showed up before it happened.

This is now suggestive that the island's time is not merely lagging as we first thought --- it's wildly differential from off-island time. Could be a day ahead at one moment and 30 minutes behind at another. ... And then, what's to stop it from being 30 years differential that would allow Richard et al to travel into the flashbacks or the flashforwards?

Which was uberweird, given that Faraday's experiment suggested that time moved slower on the island. So, you'd think that the doctor's body wouldn't arrive until quite awhile after he was killed in off-island time. Instead, it showed up before it happened.

This is now suggestive that the island's time is not merely lagging as we first thought --- it's wildly differential from off-island time. Could be a day ahead at one moment and 30 minutes behind at another. ... And then, what's to stop it from being 30 years differential that would allow Richard et al to travel into the flashbacks or the flashforwards?

Could it depend on the coordinates one takes to the island?

-Are they really supposed to follow the helicopter? I think not.

I would guess that the pilot dropped the phone because it shows the locations of all the members of the commando dudes and gives the survivors a chance to hide and avoid them.

I would guess that the pilot dropped the phone because it shows the locations of all the members of the commando dudes and gives the survivors a chance to hide and avoid them.

Yeah, that's what I thought, too. It was the only way for Lapidus to let the Beach people know where the guys with the guns are- remember what Michael said, he doesn't want that on his conscience. As to whether or not Jack will interpret the phone for what it is, is another story- he could lead them right to their annihilation.

Yeah, that's what I thought, too. It was the only way for Lapidus to let the Beach people know where the guys with the guns are- remember what Michael said, he doesn't want that on his conscience. As to whether or not Jack will interpret the phone for what it is, is another story- he could lead them right to their annihilation.

Yeah. So far, Jack and that contingent of the Lostaways do not know about Widmore's army. The phones to this point have showed/encouraged them how to meet up with the freighter people, not as a means to avoid them. This may change when Daniel or the other girl fills in, b/c I doubt they want to be on the island when the poop hits the air conditioning of what they know or suspect is coming.

When John asked Christian how to save the island, Claire's little smile totally creeped me out. WTF happened to her? Is she dead? Or is she alive and now under the "spell" of the island? And by Christian saying that Aaron is where he's supposed to be...obviously that means with Sawyer. Which coupled with what Jack was told last week, leads me to believe that Jack was not supposed to leave the island (maybe that's why he wanted to get back so despirately). I think Sawyer was supposed to leave the island with Kate and raise Aaron.

Did anyone else notice the comic book? It seemed to be a city floating above another city with the headline "Hidden Land!". Also something about "The Voice of Warning". Anyone have any thoughts?

Here's the comic...Link

In season 1 wasn't Walt reading a comic book which had the picture of the polar bear on it?

Also, how about the picture of "smokey" on young Locke's wall?

Here's the comic...Link

In season 1 wasn't Walt reading a comic book which had the picture of the polar bear on it?

Also, how about the picture of "smokey" on young Locke's wall?

Weird... I wonder what the comic is about? I searched but can't find much about the content of that issue.

When John asked Christian how to save the island, Claire's little smile totally creeped me out. WTF happened to her? Is she dead? Or is she alive and now under the "spell" of the island? And by Christian saying that Aaron is where he's supposed to be...obviously that means with Sawyer.

I gotta believe Christian and Claire are both dead. But 'dead' on the island apparently doesn't mean gone entirely (as with the dude who clued Locke into where to find the map to the cabin). IMO, Aaron's where he's supposed to be because he's meant to be with the living.

I gotta believe Christian and Claire are both dead. But 'dead' on the island apparently doesn't mean gone entirely (as with the dude who clued Locke into where to find the map to the cabin). IMO, Aaron's where he's supposed to be because he's meant to be with the living.

I highly doubt Claire is dead... yet.

Just b/c she's in the cabin and was brought there by a ghost(?) of her/Jack's father doesn't mean anything in itself. Jack following his father led him to the caves and fresh water. Young Ben following his mother led him to Richard. We also have Hurley following Dave (was this a ghost or mental projection?), Eko following Yemi (was the smoke monster --- was this brought upon by Ben?), among other instances of apparitions of people who shouldn't have been where they were (Walt twice, notably). We have yet to learn the circumstance of why Kate has Aaron, but even that is not necessarily reason to believe that Claire has died.

I highly doubt Claire is dead... yet.

Just b/c she's in the cabin and was brought there by a ghost(?) of her/Jack's father doesn't mean anything in itself. Jack following his father led him to the caves and fresh water. Young Ben following his mother led him to Richard. We also have Hurley following Dave (was this a ghost or mental projection?), Eko following Yemi (was the smoke monster --- was this brought upon by Ben?), among other instances of apparitions of people who shouldn't have been where they were (Walt twice, notably). We have yet to learn the circumstance of why Kate has Aaron, but even that is not necessarily reason to believe that Claire has died.

I just can't see a living Claire ever leaving Aaron unattended in the jungle. I can't recall a scene since he was born where she wasn't with him in some way.

I still think she bought the farm when the house she was in exploded and Christian came to help her 'cross over.' How Christian came to be in the position to be a guide/emmissary/familiar with Jacob is a question I hope they answer this season.