Bills And Bolts are talking trade talks

We also have plenty of holes to fill, and we can't exactly be throwing away our first day draft picks. I'm firmly against anything involving 1st rounders, no swap, nothing. Here's the problem, anything more than a pair of 3rd's like we got for McGahee and we look stupid, how can we give up as much or more to a guy who's produced half as much as Willis had and is coming off a whopping 80 carry season. I tell AJ Smith we'll give him a 3rd and a 4th, and if he doesn't like it he can shove it up his a$$ and watch Turner walk next year for nothing. No need feeding AFC powerhouses with more picks for guys they are going to lose anyways.

Your post is excellent, if we give up more for Turner than we gained with McGahee's departure then Marv will forver be known to me as Marvtard and forced to wear a helmet while riding in the front seat of the orchard park short bus.

I don't like Turner one bit and I'm against aquiring him at any cost, unless it's a 7th rounder.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just hope Marv realizes we are the ones with the upper hand here, this guy walks next year regardless, and there are other backs in this draft that can be had. No need to give too much, I say a 3rd and 4th, and I liked the idea of swapping 2nd rounders and giving them a higher 3rd.

I agree...

Though I do think the Chargers are less concernned about getting nothing for Turner only because they are VERY close to Championship level...Granted Turner will be gone after 2007 regardless, but having him as insurance behind LT, when only a Championship will do, has got to be at least a bit tempting for AJ and the Bolts...If Turner leaves the Chargers are pretty much forced to use one of their 2007 Picks on a RB to back-up LT, and that RB will likely be a step down from Turner...

Just pointing out that keeping Turner is not necessarily a bad deal for the Chargers...

Your post is excellent, if we give up more for Turner than we gained with McGahee's departure then Marv will forver be known to me as Marvtard and forced to wear a helmet while riding in the front seat of the orchard park short bus.

I don't like Turner one bit and I'm against aquiring him at any cost, unless it's a 7th rounder.

Why?

Two thirds or a third and swap of 2nds is more than fair compensation IMO

For sure. I think even that's a bit much for a guy who hasn't proven much at a position that isn't that important to begin with.

A 2nd & a 3rd is excessive. A 1st and a 3rd is laughable even on Madden.

If the Bills somehow acquire Michael Turner I have a feeling we will not be sorry. I personally have seen him play and it's my opinion that Turner will be a stand out RB in the NFL. Let's have some faith in the Bills scouting department and see what happens.

Michael Turner = a redzone beast! :unsure:

If the Bills somehow acquire Michael Turner I have a feeling we will not be sorry. I personally have seen him play and it's my opinion that Turner will be a stand out RB in the NFL. Let's have some faith in the Bills scouting department and see what happens.

I can tell you that if the Bills land Turner he will be the best RB to play here since Thurman Thomas.

I say the Titans will not be bidding for him. With the big chance of the

Punk Man being suspended for the year they won't have to much

to offer the Bolts.

33 1/3 with the option to play for the Bolts next year.

yeah-

he has sure shown it in his last 3 years in SD! :ph34r:

To begin with a cliche -- the only things certain in life are death and taxes :-)

Lets establish what we know. The Bills have needs for players currently not on the roster to contribute immediately at the following positions:

1) Sam or Middle LB - I think Ellison and (cough, cough) Wire will handle the weak side and Crowell will fill one of the other two. Bills need to draft this early and late realizing that Ellison was a 6 last year -- He slipped that far because other teams playing cover 2 were pretty set at LB. The Bills need to address the two more traditional LB'ing positions this year -- which means drafting earlier--would not be surprised to see round 1 or 2 and then 4 used to address.

2) CB -- McGee has to step up and show he can play in this system. Thomas was good in the nickel last year. Youboty is unproven. Greer will never be anything more than a really good special teams gunner on punt coverage and outside man on KO. The Bills need to add one more top 100 draftee to this mix. BTW -- watch out for Eric Bassey here--they guy has wonderful measurables, played well at Oklahoma when he was not injured.

Also on this one--cover 2 relies a lot on safeties to take receivers deep -- that's why Milloy and Vincent did not work for the Bills and Simpson and Whitner do...if Simpson and Whitner show logical improvement -- the Bills will not miss Nate as the team logically should.

3) Strong Safety Depth-Since the Bills are already young here--I would prefer to add a vet to help tutor and growth. Tony Parrish would be a wise signing.

4) Running Back-At the very least the Bills need edge speed at the position and a dynamic option out of the backfield. If the Bills can acquire an every down back with these skills so much the better...

5) Fullback -- Finding a young player who, with Cieslack, can step in immediately to fulfill a position that gets about 30%-40% of the offensive snaps would be great. Need block and catch as the priority here.

Luxury Picks:

1) DT-if Okoye or (some not totally sold) Branch are there The Bills have to at least give pause at 12 if we keep the pick

2) WR - Need some size for Red Zone play--if someone drops like a Sidney Rice --have to think about this early

3) TE-The Bills brass loves Robert Royal and Everett needs to show he belongs in the NFL this year--the one probably does not get attention

So what the hell does this have to do with Turner...well with all these needs you do a bit of mortgaging the future. If you truly believe in the guy..and believe me Ralph would not have sent the plane if the Bills brass didn't believe in the guy....you give AJ most of what he wants...the first third rounder from this year and a contingent first from next year (if Turner finishes in the top 5 in rushing in the AFC its a first; if he finishes outside the top 5 its a second rounder). The Bills lose absolutely no one of current consequence from this roster next year--The Bills can afford to do this--having a first rounder next year is almost a burden when the Bills will be working to extend Losman or Evans (assuming we get one done this year). We keep our top picks from this year--sacrificing the same or less than what we would have on drafting a back anyway.

Just get the deal done and don't look back. Looking back is for fans....if the Bills get a potentially dynamic runner they are sold on -- it kinda doesn't matter what they give up. If they are wrong--it doesn't set us back that much. As this off season has proven -- running backs will be available every year and the Bills will be a total buyer next year in FA -- not the best way to fill holes but it is what it is.

If so, why are we and the Titans the only teams who know how great Turner is? There was a lot of movement of running backs this offseason and no one made a mover for Turner. Why?

I don't dispute that Turner has plenty of potential and could be a very good player, I just don't agree that he is a lock to be a top 5 RB year in and year out as so many hereabouts seem, with such certainty, to believe.

Green, Lewis, Jones, Willis, Droughns, Henry, Bell and Rhodes have all moved this offseason so there was certainly a lot of teams looking for RB's this year. Clearly, not everyone is so certain that Turner is such a stud. Yeah, they could be wrong or maybe they didn't have the jack for his contract. Or, maybe there are some legitimate questions about Turner.

If so, why are we and the Titans the only teams who know how great Turner is? There was a lot of movement of running backs this offseason and no one made a mover for Turner. Why?

I don't dispute that Turner has plenty of potential and could be a very good player, I just don't agree that he is a lock to be a top 5 RB year in and year out as so many hereabouts seem, with such certainty, to believe.

Green, Lewis, Jones, Willis, Droughns, Henry, Bell and Rhodes have all moved this offseason so there was certainly a lot of teams looking for RB's this year. Clearly, not everyone is so certain that Turner is such a stud. Yeah, they could be wrong or maybe they didn't have the jack for his contract. Or, maybe there are some legitimate questions about Turner.

well why is because turner was tendered the the highest of restricted free agents.......any team signing him would have to give up a 1st and 3rd round pick.turner is the most expensive free agent runningback this season.its a no brainer that most other teams looked for other runningbacks.

Guys michael turner is good, but i just don't see him as a long term answer. Yes, he is 25 years old, but he is backing up L.T the best running back in the league. The Chargers offensive line is great, and i just don't think turner is as good as people are hyping him up to be

Guys michael turner is good, but i just don't see him as a long term answer. Yes, he is 25 years old, but he is backing up L.T the best running back in the league. The Chargers offensive line is great, and i just don't think turner is as good as people are hyping him up to be

BBills--I think we as fans can grouse about that all we want..he has 150 carries in three years behind a really good scheme and line. He also breaks a lot of tackles.

The only evaluation that matters is Marv, Modrak, Jauron's, Overdorf, Guy, Fairchild and Studesville and most importantly Ralph..they take the risk. Ralph sent the plane--that's a pretty decent indication of what they think..if they want him they should have the guts to close the deal. We have the need, but we have other needs..its not even Turner vs. Peterson its Turner vs. what we can get in the second or third round which is what we will give for him this year.

Its dollars, but we have those in excess quantity right now. If we do this deal its also an indication that cash to the cap has been relaxed by revenue sharing.

well why is because turner was tendered the the highest of restricted free agents.......any team signing him would have to give up a 1st and 3rd round pick.turner is the most expensive free agent runningback this season.its a no brainer that most other teams looked for other runningbacks.

Because they decided he wasn't worth it. Exactly my point.

BBills--I think we as fans can grouse about that all we want..he has 150 carries in three years behind a really good scheme and line. He also breaks a lot of tackles.

The only evaluation that matters is Marv, Modrak, Jauron's, Overdorf, Guy, Fairchild and Studesville and most importantly Ralph..they take the risk. Ralph sent the plane--that's a pretty decent indication of what they think..if they want him they should have the guts to close the deal. We have the need, but we have other needs..its not even Turner vs. Peterson its Turner vs. what we can get in the second or third round which is what we will give for him this year.

Its dollars, but we have those in excess quantity right now. If we do this deal its also an indication that cash to the cap has been relaxed by revenue sharing.

Best to wait. The price on Turner isn't going to go up. If the Titans sign him, that is one less team that is going to take a RB in the early rounds which means there will be one more back still on the board when our picks come up.

Best to wait. The price on Turner isn't going to go up. If the Titans sign him, that is one less team that is going to take a RB in the early rounds which means there will be one more back still on the board when our picks come up.

Agree. If it were me, I'd wait until draft day to do this deal or not unless the Bill's scouts think he is a can't miss player.

Because they decided he wasn't worth it. Exactly my point.

Oh c'mon. There aren't more than 4-5 backs in the league that a team would spend a #1 and a #3 on. The Chargers didn't do it because that is what he's worth or because they expected to get that much, they did it so no team would sign him at the lower restricted levels, and to get as much as they could for him.

Mickey, not picking on you...I have no idea how good Turner is...but if the coaching staff and front office think he can be a difference maker at running back in our scheme and they are willing to risk their jobs to acquire him...I am okay with "overpaying" a bit, particularly if the overpay part is next year.

AJ holds a lot of the cards in this negotiation. He is sitting on a team with Super Bowl talent and it does him really no harm at all to hold on to Turner. We aren't negotiating against any other team..we are negotiating with AJ Smith who has a great team this year that Turner is a part of and potentially a big part of if LT goes down for any length of time. AJ doesn't care about next offseason--chances to win like the one he has in front of him this coming year are rare it will take a lot to pry Turner away.

Wake up folks--this isn't a competition against the thumbtacks or anyone else -- its can the Bills offer AJ enough to warrant him going out and finding another suitable back up to LT, that's the decision the Bills front office has right now. AJ wants another top 100 pick or to move up in the 1st round to get a receiver. Anyone who says AJ's price is going down isn't thinking. He could care less about next offseason right now...and losing Turner..he has a floor price for Turner -- who is willing to meet it...

I sent the plane because we were out of grey pupon and AJ knew of a speciality shop that carried it there in SD. Turner was nothing more than a delivery boy. I'd be willing to keep him around, for a 3rd rounder and a cash to cap friendly contract extension. Otherwise we'll grab a RB in the 2nd.

Signed,

Ralph

I sent the plane because we were out of grey poupon and AJ knew of a speciality shop that carried it there in SD. Turner was nothing more than a delivery boy. I'd be willing to keep him around, for a 3rd rounder and a cash to cap friendly contract extension. Otherwise we'll grab a RB in the 2nd.

Signed,

Ralph

Fixed.

Oh c'mon. There aren't more than 4-5 backs in the league that a team would spend a #1 and a #3 on. The Chargers didn't do it because that is what he's worth or because they expected to get that much, they did it so no team would sign him at the lower restricted levels, and to get as much as they could for him.

I totally agree. I think AJ wants to keep him around for insurance this year, because they are close to winning it all. If someone wants to overpay then of course they'd be willing to make the deal. (Personally I feel overpaying would be anything earlier than a 3rd.) I'd also expect to see SD pick up a back in the draft that they can groom as LT's back up for '08 and watch Turner leave as a free agent next year.

I sent the plane because we were out of grey pupon and AJ knew of a speciality shop that carried it there in SD. Turner was nothing more than a delivery boy. I'd be willing to keep him around, for a 3rd rounder and a cash to cap friendly contract extension. Otherwise we'll grab a RB in the 2nd.

Signed,

Ralph

AJ hates your guts old man. He could care less if you had to use the expired mustard packets from the concession stand.

Stick with us who love you dearly.

Love,

JoeF

I totally agree. I think AJ wants to keep him around for insurance this year, because they are close to winning it all. If someone wants to overpay then of course they'd be willing to make the deal. (Personally I feel overpaying would be anything earlier than a 3rd.) I'd also expect to see SD pick up a back in the draft that they can groom as LT's back up for '08 and watch Turner leave as a free agent next year.

I like Turner a lot and hope the Bills get him. That doesn't mean he's a top ten back in the league. And I am not completely sold on the Chargers. They are a very good but not great team IMO and the reason they are so very good is LT. If he goes down, I sincerely doubt they are going to win the Super Bowl with Michael Turner regardless of how much I like him. I think their receivers stink and Rivers is good but not great. Take the great back away and put a very good one in and I don't think they are a big threat to win it all. That's why trading Turner now makes sense.

I like Turner a lot and hope the Bills get him. That doesn't mean he's a top ten back in the league. And I am not completely sold on the Chargers. They are a very good but not great team IMO and the reason they are so very good is LT. If he goes down, I sincerely doubt they are going to win the Super Bowl with Michael Turner regardless of how much I like him. I think their receivers stink and Rivers is good but not great. Take the great back away and put a very good one in and I don't think they are a big threat to win it all. That's why trading Turner now makes sense.

Kelly -- your evaluation is probably spot on--but there is another factor here. AJ has sold the Spanos' on this being the year the team gets it done. They have allowed him to change coaches because he convinced him that Marty couldn't get it done in the postseason.

AJ has them convinced this is the year..and his ass is on the line--I am not convinced that he believes that trading Turner fits into the plan to win this year...just my 2 cents...

Kelly -- your evaluation is probably spot on--but there is another factor here. AJ has sold the Spanos' on this being the team the year to gets it done. They have allowed him to change coaches because he convinced him that Marty couldn't get it done in the postseason. AJ has them convinced this is the year..and his ass is on the line--I am not convinced that he believes that trading Turner fits into the plan to win this year...just my 2 cents...

That's a good point. But I think you win it all with a solid team and a couple stars that put you over the top. There is a big difference between being a playoff team and being a SB winner. The Chargers will still be good and a playoff team without LT, but they won't be a threat to win it all. If LT goes down, I doubt Spanos holds that against Smith unless the team totally tanks.

And no team in the league thinks he is one of those 4-5 backs. Neither do I. All those other teams, despite their need at RB, felt there were better options.

The Chargers don't expect to get that much and will almost certainly take less. All those other teams were aware of that and they still passed on him.

Mickey, not picking on you...I have no idea how good Turner is...but if the coaching staff and front office think he can be a difference maker at running back in our scheme and they are willing to risk their jobs to acquire him...I am okay with "overpaying" a bit, particularly if the overpay part is next year.

AJ holds a lot of the cards in this negotiation. He is sitting on a team with Super Bowl talent and it does him really no harm at all to hold on to Turner. We aren't negotiating against any other team..we are negotiating with AJ Smith who has a great team this year that Turner is a part of and potentially a big part of if LT goes down for any length of time. AJ doesn't care about next offseason--chances to win like the one he has in front of him this coming year are rare it will take a lot to pry Turner away.

Wake up folks--this isn't a competition against the thumbtacks or anyone else -- its can the Bills offer AJ enough to warrant him going out and finding another suitable back up to LT, that's the decision the Bills front office has right now. AJ wants another top 100 pick or to move up in the 1st round to get a receiver. Anyone who says AJ's price is going down isn't thinking. He could care less about next offseason right now...and losing Turner..he has a floor price for Turner -- who is willing to meet it...

Maybe but I think he is worth more to them in a trade than sitting on the bench watching LT. Sure he has a floor price for Turner and just as sure, he hasn't reached it yet which is why I think that whatever he is asking us for now (something none of us knows) it isn't his floor. He will get there eventually which is why I still say the price on him is going to drop from where he is now, not the floor, to where he will be eventually, ie, the floor you reference. Either that or AJ opened negotiations with his lowest price right from the get go and that would mean he is stupid.

With a swap of firsts we could get Turner, Simmons or Beason to play LB and a top WR or CB or Brian Leonard. I would love that draft.

A most excellent draft, indeed.

INCREDIBLE!!! They have A 219 page thread on trading this guy

so do we....it is just that on the chargers message board they make all the turner post's be on the one thread.if you go to the titans message board they do the same thing.the turner thread is long ,but there is only one.we have 90 jillion turner threads on our board ,but they are spread out.