Bills And Bolts are talking trade talks

Bills & Chargers Talking About Possible Turner Trade --

Fri Apr 6, 2007 --from FFMastermind.com

The North County Times reports the Buffalo Bills revealed that restricted free-agent RB Michael Turner visited the team on Thursday, prompting Chargers GM A.J. Smith to confirm that the two teams have held trade discussions. Turner is tendered at a level that would require any team signing him to a free-agent offer sheet to give up first- and third-round draft picks if the Chargers don't match it. The more likely scenario is that a trade will be worked out in which a team acquires Turner at a lower cost. "We have had dialogue over the possibility of Michael Turner joining the Buffalo Bills and we have exchanged thoughts on compensation," Smith said. "Right now, like I've said before, it's a one and a three, but we will continue to be flexible. We're very open to any package." The Chargers and Tennessee Titans have also conducted trade talks regarding Turner.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bills & Chargers Talking About Possible Turner Trade --

Fri Apr 6, 2007 --from FFMastermind.com

The North County Times reports the Buffalo Bills revealed that restricted free-agent RB Michael Turner visited the team on Thursday, prompting Chargers GM A.J. Smith to confirm that the two teams have held trade discussions. Turner is tendered at a level that would require any team signing him to a free-agent offer sheet to give up first- and third-round draft picks if the Chargers don't match it. The more likely scenario is that a trade will be worked out in which a team acquires Turner at a lower cost. "We have had dialogue over the possibility of Michael Turner joining the Buffalo Bills and we have exchanged thoughts on compensation," Smith said. "Right now, like I've said before, it's a one and a three, but we will continue to be flexible. We're very open to any package." The Chargers and Tennessee Titans have also conducted trade talks regarding Turner.

The Bills and Titans are both front-runners now then, I'd say 50/50.

I say the Titans will not be bidding for him. With the big chance of the

Punk Man being suspended for the year they won't have to much

to offer the Bolts.

We also have plenty of holes to fill, and we can't exactly be throwing away our first day draft picks. I'm firmly against anything involving 1st rounders, no swap, nothing. Here's the problem, anything more than a pair of 3rd's like we got for McGahee and we look stupid, how can we give up as much or more to a guy who's produced half as much as Willis had and is coming off a whopping 80 carry season. I tell AJ Smith we'll give him a 3rd and a 4th, and if he doesn't like it he can shove it up his a$$ and watch Turner walk next year for nothing. No need feeding AFC powerhouses with more picks for guys they are going to lose anyways.

Tennessee can just draft Lynch at #19 or maybe even bring Chris Brown back..........they have more options available than the Bills. But this will also lower the price the Bills need to pay

I would swap #2's and give up the higher #3 in '08.............

They are also looking at Dillion, so they do have more options than the Bills.

I just hope Marv realizes we are the ones with the upper hand here, this guy walks next year regardless, and there are other backs in this draft that can be had. No need to give too much, I say a 3rd and 4th, and I liked the idea of swapping 2nd rounders and giving them a higher 3rd.

We also have plenty of holes to fill, and we can't exactly be throwing away our first day draft picks. I'm firmly against anything involving 1st rounders, no swap, nothing. Here's the problem, anything more than a pair of 3rd's like we got for McGahee and we look stupid, how can we give up as much or more to a guy who's produced half as much as Willis had and is coming off a whopping 80 carry season. I tell AJ Smith we'll give him a 3rd and a 4th, and if he doesn't like it he can shove it up his a$$ and watch Turner walk next year for nothing. No need feeding AFC powerhouses with more picks for guys they are going to lose anyways.

This gets right to the heart of the matter. How do we get this message to Marv before he does something stupid...or I am I just getting sucked into the hype of Marv having an itchy trigger finger?

I just hope Marv realizes we are the ones with the upper hand here, this guy walks next year regardless, and there are other backs in this draft that can be had. No need to give too much, I say a 3rd and 4th, and I liked the idea of swapping 2nd rounders and giving them a higher 3rd.

There is noway a 1st round pick should even come up in the discussion. The absolute highest I would go is a 3rd this year & a 2nd next year. I think the 2 thirds we got for Willis is more then fair.

anything more than a pair of 3rd's like we got for McGahee and we look stupid, how can we give up as much or more to a guy who's produced half as much as Willis had and is coming off a whopping 80 carry season. .

Who cares whet we "look" like, is the trade in our best interest is all that matters. Now, I cannot speak for Turner in the pros as I watch next to no Charger games, but that boy tore up a pretty good Maryland defence when he played in college. I can guarantee you the ole old MR Roid Merriman still has nightmares about playing agaisn't Turner when the 1AA program put a whopping on the MD defense, a defense that included two first rd draft LBs

Who cares whet we "look" like, is the trade in our best interest is all that matters. Now, I cannot speak for Turner in the pros as I watch next to no Charger games, but that boy tore up a pretty good Maryland defence when he played in college. I can guarantee you the ole old MR Roid Merriman still has nightmares about playing agaisn't Turner when the 1AA program put a whopping on the MD defense, a defense that included two first rd draft LBs

Who cares how he "looked" in college against a crap Maryland team. They had some good backers'? That's great, what he did in college means as much as what I did in college

Who cares how he "looked" in college against a crap Maryland team. They had some good backers'? That's great, what he did in college means as much as what I did in college

What did you do in college?

But seriously, if Peterson didn't produce in college he wouldn't be considered a top 5 pick. It does matter,

What did you do in college?

But seriously, if Peterson didn't produce in college he wouldn't be considered a top 5 pick. It does matter,

Your talking about a guy who's coming out this year and a guy who came out 3 years ago. Do you really think anybody thinking of trading for MT is looking at his Northern Illinois tapes? I mean get real, what he did then means jack. And what did I do in college? Pfff, I produced, that's all I'll say :wallbash:

Your talking about a guy who's coming out this year and a guy who came out 3 years ago. Do you really think anybody thinking of trading for MT is looking at his Northern Illinois tapes? I mean get real, what he did then means jack. And what did I do in college? Pfff, I produced, that's all I'll say :wallbash:

He hasn't had alot of carries any year in the NFL. If you want to see if he can carry the ball 300+ you should look to the only time he carried the ball alot(college).

I don't expect Marv to overpay. When he wanted somebody (Dockery & Langston) he moved rapidly and paid handsomely. This Turner thing has been brewing about for some time now. I believe that Ralph and maybe some others (Marv) moved quickly to talk to Turner after Tennessee just to have the opportunity and to know the exact preimeters of the compensation. At this point our braintrust will mull over the options afforded to us and make a decision in the very near future but that's not to say that they will over react and pay thru the ass.

He hasn't had alot of carries any year in the NFL. If you want to see if he can carry the ball 300+ you should look to the only time he carried the ball alot(college).

College-NFL, different animals. I could see if the guy was a rookie last year, but he's been around for 3 years now, it's safe to say what he did back at Northern Illinois in the powehouse conference they play in is pretty much irrelevant. Alot of guys carry the load in college and can't in the NFL, I'm sorry but it's just useless. Marv didn't look at any Northern Illinois tape, that isn't what struck his fancy in Turner, he watched him play in the NFL, and he's gotten enough carries for scouts to see what type of runner he is and how that forecasts into a full time role. Do you think prior to acquiring LaMont Jordan the Raiders called Ralph Freidgen and asked for game film? Pfff

As I am pretty sure i pointed out in my post, I watch next to no chargers games. That is why I said the boy had a hell of a college career, and not neccasrily all agaisn't D1AA clubs. And I do believe how guys played in college when they relatively little experience in the pros does weigh in. Brett Farve trade comes to mind. Like I said, I have no earthly idea if Turner will tyrn out to be the next Jerome Bettis(ggod trade for the steelers) or the next Blait Thomas, just relaying what he looked like agaisn't my squad two years in a row in college.

College-NFL, different animals. I could see if the guy was a rookie last year, but he's been around for 3 years now, it's safe to say what he did back at Northern Illinois in the powehouse conference they play in is pretty much irrelevant. Alot of guys carry the load in college and can't in the NFL, I'm sorry but it's just useless. Marv didn't look at any Northern Illinois tape, that isn't what struck his fancy in Turner, he watched him play in the NFL, and he's gotten enough carries for scouts to see what type of runner he is and how that forecasts into a full time role. Do you think prior to acquiring LaMont Jordan the Raiders called Ralph Freidgen and asked for game film? Pfff

I know you look at NFL film since hes been in the league 3 years. But knowing that he could carry the load in college is still good to know, no matter how little it matters. I'm not saying that Marv is looking at college film, i'm just stating that if he never carried the load in college, there would be more questions about if he could now.