hope all you teacher-hating, union-hating neanderthals enjoy:

jester43

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i could do without unions. but ive got nothing but respect for all teachers. and seeing the schools down here in GA, as opposed to Buffalo, be glad for the teacher's unions up there. without them, you get the worst level of horrible teachers.

i still hand it to them though. ive seen the Atlanta Public Schools. i wouldnt even set foot in one.

and had she initiated the attack her career would be over and she would be in Attica now. I'm sure the 17 year will be described as 'a troubled teen'. Put him on his knees and put a .45 slug in the back of his head.

Not that I'm a big fan of litigation, but she should turn around sue the sh-- out of the school district for insufficent parking, which obviously put her in a position where her well-being was in danger. She'll make out a hell of alot better with the suit then with the workers comp claim.

I feel really bad for her, but I think there is something pretty important to consider here. She was not assaulted while she was at work, but rather while she was on her way to work. Worker's Comp covers you for injuries incurred while at work. If I broke my leg in the parking ramp at work I could not file a workers comp claim. I could sue the garage owner, but workers comp would surely be denied.

While this situation sucks, the liability for her injuries lies with the person who assualted her not the state government.

Oh, and I'm sorry, but what does this have to do with the teacher's union? She is still being paid, she is using accumulated sick time. Isn't this why sick days are able to be accumulated? Her health insurance is covering her medical expenses.

The only real "loss" here (in relation to the Worker's comp situation, no the obvious emotional and physical pain) is that she is being forced to use sick days instead of being paid and being able to keep the sick days to cash in when she retires.

I feel really bad for her, but I think there is something pretty important to consider here. She was not assaulted while she was at work, but rather while she was on her way to work. Worker's Comp covers you for injuries incurred while at work. If I broke my leg in the parking ramp at work I could not file a workers comp claim. I could sue the garage owner, but workers comp would surely be denied.

While this situation sucks, the liability for her injuries lies with the person who assualted her not the state government.

Oh, and I'm sorry, but what does this have to do with the teacher's union? She is still being paid, she is using accumulated sick time. Isn't this why sick days are able to be accumulated? Her health insurance is covering her medical expenses.

The only real "loss" here (in relation to the Worker's comp situation, no the obvious emotional and physical pain) is that she is being forced to use sick days instead of being paid and being able to keep the sick days to cash in when she retires.

There is some gray areas though. Teachers dont punch a clock ( I believe). They work at home to create lesson plans, they go to pupils houses to tutor, and so on.

I would think anyone arguing her case will use this and any past history of her work to prove these things.

Still a tough call, though.

There is some gray areas though. Teachers dont punch a clock ( I believe). They work at home to create lesson plans, they go to pupils houses to tutor, and so on.

I would think anyone arguing her case will use this and any past history of her work to prove these things.

Still a tough call, though.

I don't punch a clock either and OFTEN work at home after putting in a day at the office. Again I mean no disrespect to the teacher, but what if she was assualted on a Metro bus on her way to school? Would we be expecting workman's comp for that as well?

I know this is really controversial in some circles but just as California needs New York's cell phone law, New York needs California's Three Strikes law. I realize New York is in shaky financial times but the street crime has gotten past the point where people need to be their own police force. Three Strikes isn't perfect but it helps as a deterrent.

I also support the teachers. And the cops. Talk about important, gutsy, underpaid and underappreciated professionals.

What I find so impressive is that this teacher still wants to teach at Grover. People scream and holler about opportunity. But what about the opportunities that are currently available and currently squandered (publicly funded education, teachers, textbooks)? Quit making babies you can't afford, start using your libraries and quit making excuses.

I need a Red Bull.

I don't punch a clock either and OFTEN work at home after putting in a day at the office. Again I mean no disrespect to the teacher, but what if she was assualted on a Metro bus on her way to school? Would we be expecting workman's comp for that as well?

Like I said, tough call. Workmans Comp laws are different in each state. Some company's are their own carrier in that insurance. For instance, and giggles and grins. If she rode that bus for 20 years, that same bus, to and from work. Even sitting next to one of her pupils on that bus, tutoring him/her, and got assaulted. Lots of ifs.

i don't want to be a prick or anything, but let me play devils advocate for a minute...If, when I worked in the stores at Circuit City, I was working Black Friday and was instructed that we were to park in the overflow lot of the adjacent shopping mall, we were in no way shape or form connected to the shopping mall, to allow customer use of the CC parking lot. Lets assume, I park in the mall lot, get out of my car heading to the store for my shift. As I lock my door a disgruntled Best Buy customer(you know how bad BB customers can be), or for argument sake, one of our customers comes over and starts wailing on me because he/she found out that CC did not have any of those 19.00 DVD players that everyone wanted. My injuries prevenet me from working and cause me to be out with injuries for a lengthy period. Would you consider my injuries workers comp? I wasnt on the clock, or even on CC property...

Insurance laws are not based on how sensational a story is in a newspaper. You cannot bend the rules for one person because you will never be able to cross back over that line. That being said, this is a horrible story and I hope she recovers and can teach again. I would imagine her health insurance is provided by the state and also Disability Insurance. As far as having to use her sick days, nearly every employer would require this in order for Disability Insurance to kick in.

Did the Union ever address these dangerous parking situations for their members? If not, perhaps they should be held liable. Sue the Union.

By the way, my dad has been a public school teacher for over 30 years, so I am certainly not a teacher-hating neanderthal.

i don't want to be a prick or anything, but let me play devils advocate for a minute...If, when I worked in the stores at Circuit City, I was working Black Friday and was instructed that we were to park in the overflow lot of the adjacent shopping mall, we were in no way shape or form connected to the shopping mall, to allow customer use of the CC parking lot. Lets assume, I park in the mall lot, get out of my car heading to the store for my shift. As I lock my door a disgruntled Best Buy customer(you know how bad BB customers can be), or for argument sake, one of our customers comes over and starts wailing on me because he/she found out that CC did not have any of those 19.00 DVD players that everyone wanted. My injuries prevenet me from working and cause me to be out with injuries for a lengthy period. Would you consider my injuries workers comp? I wasnt on the clock, or even on CC property...

One thing you must understand about insurance is that there is no gray area. There is virtually no situation that has not been battled out in court. If you are not injured while at work or on work property, it does not fall under workers comp. I'm not speaking to the fairness of this, simply the law. There is a reason an insurance application is so damn long, lawyers have been amending them for years after a loophole is discovered.

Where were the union toughs to protect her, eh?

;)

I'm married to a teacher. Only thing that union's good for is sheltering older teachers who've mailed it in and protecting tenure. That's it. Otherwise it does nothing for us as a member and spouse outside of threatening a strike every 5 years or so.

;)

I'm married to a teacher. Only thing that union's good for is sheltering older teachers who've mailed it in and protecting tenure. That's it. Otherwise it does nothing for us as a member and spouse outside of threatening a strike every 5 years or so.

You should waive her health insurance and other union won benefits if the union is so bad. Wait, I forgot......you like illegal aliens when they are out of your neighborhood and you are a libertatian who endorses government bans.

Never mind

and had she initiated the attack her career would be over and she would be in Attica now. I'm sure the 17 year will be described as 'a troubled teen'. Put him on his knees and put a .45 slug in the back of his head.

completely agreed. start sending a message to these little !@#$s.

;)

I just did the taxes for my sister and her new husband, a public school teacher. $700 in union dues on a salary of $35k. What a ripoff. I'd rather be a Neanderthal than be stupid enough to buy into the union bullsh-- that does nothing but keep slimey union lawyers in nice suits.

:beer:

That is so wrong I don't know where to begin.

I also support the teachers. And the cops. Talk about important, gutsy, underpaid and underappreciated professionals.

Where's the underpaid? Half the cops in NYS make over 100,000 a year with OT. Most teachers are in the $70-$80,000 range at least working what about 180 days a year. No sympathy here. And if it is so bad, leave and go into another career. In their own minds, they will always be underpaid

Where's the underpaid? Half the cops in NYS make over 100,000 a year with OT. Most teachers are in the $70-$80,000 range at least working what about 180 days a year. No sympathy here. And if it is so bad, leave and go into another career.

I'd like to know where you get your data. NYS Ed Dept says average is in the $53K range. That means that at a starting teacher salary of $35K that the longest tenured teachers MIGHT be making around $70K. MIGHT.

I'd like to know where you get your data. NYS Ed Dept says average is in the $53K range. That means that at a starting teacher salary of $35K that the longest tenured teachers MIGHT be making around $70K. MIGHT.

Agreed. I dont know where the hell he's pulling those numbers from. My mom's been 11+ years at a suburban school in WNY and is only in the mid 40's. She'll hafta teach another 15 years before she starts even sniffing the numbers that he posted.

The HIGHEST paid teachers, after 20 years of service may be making 70-80 (and after 20 years at the same job you should be making that much), new hires begin in the 30s. The poster claiming that the teachers are all getting rich is making a fool of himself.

Another case where there is no remedy without a lawyer...Funny how we badmouth them until we need them.

Let me guess your a lawyer. We may need lawyer's but not as many as there are in this country. I read somewhere, & my numbers maybe a little off that I think it said their is a lawyer in this country for every 1,000 people that live in this country. The next closest country to this ratio is like 12,000:1. That is a pretty amazing stat.

Lastly, let me say as far as the teacher is concerned, she took the job, she knew what she was getting into, I say let her use her sick days.

Where's the underpaid? Half the cops in NYS make over 100,000 a year with OT. Most teachers are in the $70-$80,000 range at least working what about 180 days a year. No sympathy here. And if it is so bad, leave and go into another career. In their own minds, they will always be underpaid

Exactly. Cry me a river. Best post of the year so far. Teachers a lot like farmers. Always crying poor. Drive by thier homes they have a new Expedition in the driveway and a Arlen Ness custom chopper parked beside it.

The HIGHEST paid teachers, after 20 years of service may be making 70-80 (and after 20 years at the same job you should be making that much), new hires begin in the 30s. The poster claiming that the teachers are all getting rich is making a fool of himself.

I see no problem with that pay scale. Almost overpaying for a glorified babysitter. If security is a problem dont blame the job. Dont blame the school. Blame the criminal and the clueless garbage that raise them.

I see no problem with that pay scale. Almost overpaying for a glorified babysitter. If security is a problem dont blame the job. Dont blame the school. Blame the criminal and the clueless garbage that raise them.

funny. you call belittle teachers by calling them glorified babysitters, but when your kid turns into a !@#$ up, you'll be the first one screaming that it was the teachers fault they didnt train your little !@#$ up properly.

There's a lot more to it than that. No one should be surprised that these behaviors keep escalating. It's a product of the "self esteem is SUPER" parenting/societal endeavor that has been going on for 25 years.

Spare the rod, spoil the mother friggin' child. Congrats liberals, the brats have all the power now.

That is so wrong I don't know where to begin.

I've worked for both AFT and NEA. It's not wrong, trust me. I'm willing to stipulate that some unions do good. I know from direct experience that AFT (of which BTF is an affiliate - yeah, BFT's web site says they're part of NYSUT, but NYSUT and AFT are the same damn thing) and NEA are useless at best.

Few here have said that's a poor pay scale. They'e just pointing out that teachers don't average $70-80K as some clueless hack posted here, without facts to back it up, of course. It's this kind of garbage that spreads poor attitudes nationwide.

You're a real piece of work, man. Glorified babysitter? A babysitter is someone who nukes soup in the microwave and plops the kid in front of the TV. The minds of the future and our country depend on teachers -- and good parenting. And good parents treat teachers with respect and teach their kids to do the same. I hope to God you don't have any kids with an attitude like this.

It's the whole "my kid can do no wrong" idea that's ruining education these days. I've seen it firsthand, where my mother-in-law, well-regarded as a teacher by her colleagues in every position she held, didn't receive tenure after going back to work because she was unafraid to flunk a school board member's daughter.

And Darin, I really wish you'd spare us the idea that good parenting is a liberal / conservative issue. It's a laziness issue, it's a material issue, it's an issue of people who don't have a clue, whatever they believe. I know plenty of so-called conservatives who spoil their kids to no end with new cars, etc, that they haven't earned. And I know plenty of liberals who teach their kids to approach the world with an equal sense of wonder and respect, and they are well-disciplined. Of course, it cuts both ways. But either liberals are ruining everything with too many laws and regulations, or letting too many kids have free reign with not enough rules. Choose one.

What really needs to be expressed are the ideas that loving your kid can include not giving them everything they want, not buying them off with material things, and discipline whenever necessary.

Few here have said that's a poor pay scale. They'e just pointing out that teachers don't average $70-80K as some clueless hack posted here, without facts to back it up, of course. It's this kind of garbage that spreads poor attitudes nationwide.

You're a real piece of work, man. Glorified babysitter? A babysitter is someone who nukes soup in the microwave and plops the kid in front of the TV. The minds of the future and our country depend on teachers -- and good parenting. And good parents treat teachers with respect and teach their kids to do the same. I hope to God you don't have any kids with an attitude like this.

And Darin, I really wish you'd spare us the idea that good parenting is a liberal / conservative issue. It's a laziness issue, it's a material issue, it's an issue of people who don't have a clue, whatever they believe. I know plenty of so-called conservatives who spoil their kids to no end with new cars, etc, that they haven't earned. And I know plenty of liberals who teach their kids to approach the world with an equal sense of wonder and respect, and they are well-disciplined. Of course, it cuts both ways. But either liberals are ruining everything with too many laws and regulations, or letting too many kids have free reign with not enough rules. Choose one.

What really needs to be expressed are the ideas that loving your kid can include not giving them everything they want, not buying them off with material things, and discipline whenever necessary.

Great post, RtDB!