Greatest All Time: TBD poster

KD in CA

Anyone remember Kultar's Pouch?

Of course, and Eric's contribution is still missed here.

But, no mention of history is complete without a thorough thanks to Dan Valentine - the godfather of the Buffalo Bills fan community on these Internets tubes and the original BBML.

Cheers to the old folks.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do. Lamb's and Kultarr's columns (such as they were) I used to read pretty religiously before I even started posting on the board.

Pffft. I remember when Emma had to ride the stationary bike to power my IBM Selectric enough for my typed words to travel in space to other people's typewriters so we could communicate by candlelight while the kids were tucked safely in bed and daffodils grew everywhere, and the smell of jasmine filled my mind with the sense that all is safe and good with the world, and a man's word actually meant something...and governor's didn't hide their prostitutes, but paraded them around like the respectable women they were meant to be... [/stuckincincy rant] :thumbsup:

Not you. I was just mentioning the other wife death/suicide ordeal the board went through.

:angry:

Oh, sorry. When people talk about EEEEEVIL deeds, I just assume it's about me.

I really don't want to think about that other situation. Particularly since I've been blamed for both that and Paul's death. :thumbsup:

Of course, and Eric's contribution is still missed here.

There were so many early contributors :thumbsup:

But, no mention of history is complete without a thorough thanks to Dan Valentine - the godfather of the Buffalo Bills fan community on these Internets tubes and the original BBML.

I don't even remeber how this whole thing started - but Rockpile was my first contact (CRS ?) on the BBML after we first got that new fangled electricty in Amherst. First time I thought anything (good) about the Internet was when my wife showed me the Prodigy Football BB. Somewhere along the way SDS provided the vehicle and, as they say, the rest was a sorry mess :angry:

Anyway - from the Prodigy archives - 10 years ago: March 8, 1998 (original copy off the dot matrix printer - :( )

Just remember - if you read this - this was only 10 years ago - cell phones were clunky and Happy Hour was still $1 a beer :lol:

Joe Pendry knows one thing about the Bills offense next season; he'll work with what he has. While he has been labeled as conservative for his oft used power attack, Joe maintains that he works with he has. He said, "It's easy to slot somebody, but that doesn't make it true. Conservative? No, not at all. I don't think I am. But yeah, they tought I was as far as what I did in Carolina."

After a playoff appearence by the Panthers in 1996, the teams' fortunes took a tumble and Joe started catching flak. When Bill Polian left, the Panthers made no effort to stop Pendry from leaving although he was still under contract. Pendry maintains that he did what the available personnel allowed him to do. At Kansas City he had Steve DeBerg (almost as immobile as Jim Kelly) so he had to protect the QB, and he did that with the two back power rush, In Carolina he had a young, run happy QB, Kerry Collins who needed to learn on the run. He said, " My whole philosophy is to take the personnel you've got and do whatever gives you the best chance of winning."

Pendry did Asst. Coaching gigs at KSU, West (by god) Virgina and MSU prior to the pros. He worked for Jim Mora at the USFL Philadelphia Stars and was head coach for the Pittsburgh Maulers. He joined Marty Schottenheimer and the Cleveland Browns in 1985 and despite 4 different QB's in the 1998 season, the team made the playoffs. Joe followed Marty to KC where we locked horns with Wade Phillips for four years. Dan Henning spoke of (the Bills) power running last year but due to the lack of committment by the coaching staff and a comical offensive line, it never happened.

The Bills have made all the right moves so far and the acquisition of Sam Gash gives them what Joe knows - power running the likes the Bills haven't seen since Jim Braxton. Only time and the offensive line will tell.

Speaking of the offensive line, Wade Phillips hired Carl Mauck. Mauck spent the previous five years with Arizona and San Diego. He was well known to Wade, having spent his last seven (NFL) active years as a center with the with the Houston Oilers. Mauck was a 13th round draft choice and played his first season for the Harrisburg Caps-Colts. He first met Wade in 1976 and hated him as the defensive line coach.

He said, " Whenever you are an O lineman, you hate the D Lineman coach. And I had to go every day against Curly Culp, who probably should be in the HOF. Curly usually didn't work that hard in practice, but every once in a while he'd take it to me and I'd see Wade over there snickering"

Wade and Carl were both assistants in New Orleans 1982-85. Carl played in 156 consecutive games and led the blocking for Earl Campbell.

To all you whippersnappers, the king of them all, y'all was the great Bob Lamb on Prodigy in the mid-90's. Never met the man, but lots of people who used to be here did. He practically invented the Bills message board. SDS is a great mentor and I appreciate his work but Bob Lamb was the first person I ever saw with a Bills message board. Are you still out there Bob?

Prodigy was pathetic - I was such a neophyte - but it was Ground Zero and it was fun

There was BBML - wasn't sure about that and then the great Rochester D&C meltdown

And then some (RIT) guy from Pembroke, NY came along - stuff happens

BTW - I paid for my Chargers season tix today - I wish they were Bills ones :thumbsup:

There have been so many contributors but I nominate Deborah

1.) Dib- I am pretty sure i have never read a single one of his posts, those glorious avatars...

2.) Lori- One of the smartest posters, always has good info. espesially in the pre-game writeups.

3.) SDS- Created TBD, and is currently fixing TBD.

damn, I hate going back to UDFA. I miss my posts :thumbsup:

Prodigy was pathetic - I was such a neophyte - but it was Ground Zero and it was fun

There was BBML - wasn't sure about that and then the great Rochester D&C meltdown

And then some (RIT) guy from Pembroke, NY came along - stuff happens

BTW - I paid for my Chargers season tix today - I wish they were Bills ones :angry:

There have been so many contributors but I nominate Deborah

RWS will never be the same without you Bobby!

I hope things are going well!!! :thumbsup::(

Pffft. I remember when Emma had to ride the stationary bike to power my IBM Selectric enough for my typed words to travel in space to other people's typewriters so we could communicate by candlelight while the kids were tucked safely in bed and daffodils grew everywhere, and the smell of jasmine filled my mind with the sense that all is safe and good with the world, and a man's word actually meant something...and governor's didn't hide their prostitutes, but paraded them around like the respectable women they were meant to be... [/stuckincincy rant] :angry:

I wonder if Gutenberg had regrets... :thumbsup:

Nobody could troll as good as hogboy. It simply isn't close, and he was the funniest person to ever post on TSW. Does anybody remember Miami Don Johnson? Or the thread about volunteer firemen? :lol:

One poster got so mad that he was going to fly out to Buffalo to kick his ass in the parking lot of RWS. :lol:

As far as the normal posters, there are probably 10 or so, but I am not going to list them for fear of leaving one out.

I remember. Great stuff!

To all you whippersnappers, the king of them all, y'all was the great Bob Lamb on Prodigy in the mid-90's. Never met the man, but lots of people who used to be here did. He practically invented the Bills message board. SDS is a great mentor and I appreciate his work but Bob Lamb was the first person I ever saw with a Bills message board. Are you still out there Bob?

Ya, Bob lives in Oceanside. I met him a few times. He used to go to LA to watch the games where JP's Mom would go. He posted here again a few months back, so he still lurks the board.

Wow , so many have gone . Where did they all go ?

A lot of good people left when certain un named posters would bug the crap out you for something they deemed disloyal, wrong or whatever. Kind of sucks the fun out of the place when people just hound you to death for expressing your own opinion.

That would be Combo challenging John from Hemet to a "spearing" match in the parking lot. John was ready to get on a plane. What the heck is spearing? :lol:

Wasn't that some kind of Scottish thing? I seem to recall ICE being into that stuff, like Highlands Games kinds of competions. Man, this thread brings back a lot of memories. I had forgotten about tha Hyperbills board, but do remember Kultar's pouch and Bob Lamb. This goes way back and I don't know who else may remember, but I also recall long time ago posters Azalin and The Council, who used to speak as a collective.