Texans say goodbye to Eric Moulds

billfan63

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eric Moulds is probably done. Even if he has a little gas left in the tank, there's no sense in him using playing time to build chemistry with Losman. Moulds would be a one-and-done deal anyway, so the chemistry created in 2007 wouldn't carry over to 2008. You'd have to start from scratch with some other WR.

My understanding is that the title "Possession" receiver comes from the quaility of his hands. Moulds made a career on the other end of the receiver scale, being a physical and athletic guy. IMO his incredibly inconsistent hands and poor concentration disqualify him as being a viable candidate to play in the NFL as an effective Possession Receiver.

My view on that is that it came with his self possessed role as the star receiver, and the attendant ability to take a play off here or there. Whether the last year and his summary dismissal from Texas humbled him, I don't know. In the few instances that I saw him play last year, it seemed that he was adapting to his new role, and using the physicality to be a very solid #2 guy.

Even with his faults, he's a more dependable receiver than Reed, Price or Royal.

(ps - do I really need to respond whether Eric Moulds is a better option on a must have 3rd down pass than Roscoe Parrish?)

And yet he's still better than anyone that Bills call a "possession receiver" now.

The only true possession receiver on the roster is Josh Reed and to be honest, I would rather have Reed than Moulds at this point in their careers. He's quite a bit faster than Moulds, he's a better runner after the catch, he always seems to be open, and while his hands are at times questionable, Moulds dropped more than his fair share in '04 and '05 as well. Four or five years ago, I would've given Moulds the edge in all of those areas, but in 2007, its not much of a contest.

My view on that is that it came with his self possessed role as the star receiver, and the attendant ability to take a play off here or there. Whether the last year and his summary dismissal from Texas humbled him, I don't know. In the few instances that I saw him play last year, it seemed that he was adapting to his new role, and using the physicality to be a very solid #2 guy.

Even with his faults, he's a more dependable receiver than Reed, Price or Royal.

(ps - do I really need to respond whether Eric Moulds is a better option on a must have 3rd down pass than Roscoe Parrish?)

You know, when Eric left Buffalo, I thought he had something left. I had a bad feeling, seeing the Texans down here, week in week out, it was a bad place for him to go. After seeing him a season with Houston, he really did look old, slow, and kind of "puffy"....let's move on...I could see him catching on with a team like Denver or Green Bay (if they don't acquire Moss)...

its official like a referee with a whistle

http://www.kffl.com/player/224/nfl

how about marv getting a good draft pick for this guy and the very next year he puts up a goose egg (kinda reminds me of when we lost peerless the first time).. remember when we drafted this guy??? marv said that moulds was the best natural return man he had seen play college football (that was marvs last year as head coach i believe too..)

i wouldn't mind bringing him back cheap and maybe he and price could duke it out for #2 reciever just for old times sake (they are buddies after all).

And did Marv not take a fair amount of heat from some for letting Moulds go? Looks like a great move now. Imagine that.

And did Marv not take a fair amount of heat from some for letting Moulds go? Looks like a great move now. Imagine that.

I remember at the time, Marv saying, somewhat prophetically, something to the effect of "Eric may find out that sometimes you are better off staying where you are, than chasing money somewhere else..."

With the amounts of money the Bills are paying to keep their own, imagine how much more Moulds could have made, even at a reduced salary, than he will trying to latch on now, with another team....

i completely disagree. you obviously still have the 1999-2001 version of eric moulds stuck in your head.

he hasnt had dependable hands in YEARS. and will not go up or out of his way to catch a ball. he's too good to try so hard.

he's eric mould, he expects the ball to be put right on his numbers and in an easy spot to catch. if its not, its not his problem.

The only true possession receiver on the roster is Josh Reed and to be honest, I would rather have Reed than Moulds at this point in their careers. He's quite a bit faster than Moulds, he's a better runner after the catch, he always seems to be open, and while his hands are at times questionable, Moulds dropped more than his fair share in '04 and '05 as well. Four or five years ago, I would've given Moulds the edge in all of those areas, but in 2007, its not much of a contest.

Great point. Reed > Moulds by any comparison AT THIS POINT IN TIME.

I dont really believe his career is over he was on a bad team with a bad offense.

Moulds was actually in a pass happy offense, and he just didn't make any plays and that really hurt the Texans offense. He has not aged gracefully. Some wr's keep their speed and fluid movement skills right to the end, and then one day their hands just start dropping passes and they have to quit. Moulds got noticeably slower each year from 2003 on. It's about then when he stopped making yards after the catch. S-L-O-W. I'm sorry, but it's time for the Moulds lovers to face it, he is done.

Burning bridges is generally not a good thing to do but that is exactly what EM did on his way out of here. Secondly, as I have been saying this administration prefers guys in their 20s. Lastly, which current WR do we displace to make room for EM ? I think EM's recent performance makes it difficult for him to displace Reed, Price, Parrish. Aiken maybe but it is a stretch. All in all, I highly doubt we show any interest in him. The Jets or NE may sign him up for a 1 or 2 year deal and EM may go for it just to spite the Bills.

If he had kept his attitude and expectations in check and gone with the program, he could have gracefully retired a Bill.

I know I sure wouldn't want to try a pass to Parrish to set up a game winning field goal!

I'll bet he ends up in San Francisco, not us.

He'll retire a Bill, though, in 2 years.

This is a good draft for WR's. Plus I like George Wilson's chances of taking a spot from one of our guys this year.

you know what, i dont even care if he retires a Bill. he's not going into the hall and he decided to crap all over the team and city that showed him nothing but love for a almost a decade.

i actually hope they dont re-sign him to a stupid "retirement" contract. he can retire for whatever team paid him last. thats all he wanted anyways.

I remember at the time, Marv saying, somewhat prophetically, something to the effect of "Eric may find out that sometimes you are better off staying where you are, than chasing money somewhere else..."

With the amounts of money the Bills are paying to keep their own, imagine how much more Moulds could have made, even at a reduced salary, than he will trying to latch on now, with another team....

I think Keyshawn Johnson told Moulds the same thing a few years ago when he had the chance to bolt in free agency and as a result he stayed here. I think Philly and San Fran are good possible suitors as Moulds seem like an ideal WCO WR. You'd also think teams lacking WR depth like Minnesota, Kansas City and Atlanta would be on the list too.