Bills looking for an all-purpose back?

OnTheRocks

From Rotoworld

BuffaloBills.com says that the Bills are looking for a "A true all-purpose back that can handle the load full-time," this off-season.

The implication, of course, is that Willis McGahee isn't one. A few weeks back, the team's website said there was a possibility McGahee would get dealt this off-season. We're starting to think it's likely.

The problem with this is that I cannot find anywhere on BB.com where it says this. Unless they are counting the Chris Brown blog where he says "there has been talk among Bills fans about the prospect of acquiring the soon to be unrestricted free agent. "

If that is the case....Rotoworld is on the same page as ProFootballTalk.com. :blink:

With the recent induction of Thurman into the HOF and Marv starting to get into the full swing of molding this team, it wouldn't really surprise me if Levy is trying to build the same type of offense that he use to employ. MaGahee was Donahoe's choice, not Marv's. Two different RBs, two different offenses. Chicago's Thomas Jones might be a better fit for the kind of offense Levy used to run back in the '90s. I'm just using Jones as an example for the kind of RB that Marv might would like to see in the backfield. I don't know how his blocking is but converting WR Josh Reed to a versatile RB would be an interesting thought. Before you discount such a theory keep in mind that they just got done doing the same type of scenario with Coy Wire. Wire used to play LB and Reed at one time was a RB.

With the recent induction of Thurman into the HOF and Marv starting to get into the full swing of molding this team, it wouldn't really surprise me if Levy is trying to build the same type of offense that he use to employ. MaGahee was Donahoe's choice, not Marv's. Two different RBs, two different offenses. Chicago's Thomas Jones might be a better fit for the kind of offense Levy used to run back in the '90s. I'm just using Jones as an example for the kind of RB that Marv might would like to see in the backfield. I don't know how his blocking is but converting WR Josh Reed to a versatile RB would be an interesting thought. Before you discount such a theory keep in mind that they just got done doing the same type of scenario with Coy Wire. Wire used to play LB and Reed at one time was a RB.

Marshawn Lynch is Marv's kind of running back.

I hope we draft Ramonce Taylor, former running back from the UT national championship team from 2005. He's a Reggie Bush type that we need. We can interchange him and Willis. Ramonce should be around in the 4th-6th rounds.

Marv would be a smart man if he could pull that off. :blink:

You would have to give up your 1st rounder to get Turner....I don't think the Bills are going to give up their 12th pick to get Turner. They will let Mcgahee play out his contract this year and then get a RB in the draft next year.

McGahee is fine for this year. Idon't see wasting any picks on a running back. We have real and immediate needs on the line...maybe corner if we lose clements. Those taken care of I'd look to MLB and tight end. That being taken care of I'd look to another WR (Kellye Washington in free agency?) That being taken care of....finally (and I think I would have used up free agency and the draft at this point.) I might look for a UFA running back to be a long shot back possibility. In other words I would have RB at the very borders of my radar for this year.

McGahee is fine for this year. Idon't see wasting any picks on a running back. We have real and immediate needs on the line...maybe corner if we lose clements. Those taken care of I'd look to MLB and tight end. That being taken care of I'd look to another WR (Kellye Washington in free agency?) That being taken care of....finally (and I think I would have used up free agency and the draft at this point.) I might look for a UFA running back to be a long shot back possibility. In other words I would have RB at the very borders of my radar for this year.

exactly, this team is not to the point yet where we can make luxury picks. we're BUILDING a team here.

The guy you want is Walker from Notre Dame. He will be in the League for at least 10 years (barring injury), and will have a career somewhere between Kevin Faulk and Curtis Martin. Unbeleivable hands and great vision. He can probably be had for a second round pick.

Walker definately has the hands but there are questions if he has the size to be an every down back. The Kevin Faulk comparison is a fair one but don't think the Bills would use such a high pick on a RB.That said I could definately see a RB drafted somewhere from picks 3- and 4 if going to look for a guy to compete with Anthony Thomas to back up McGahee in 2007 and potentially replace him in 2008. I've mentioned Tony Hunt in the past as guy love in Round 3 but another guy a little later to consider would be Kenneth Darby.

From Rotoworld

The problem with this is that I cannot find anywhere on BB.com where it says this. Unless they are counting the Chris Brown blog where he says "there has been talk among Bills fans about the prospect of acquiring the soon to be unrestricted free agent. "

If that is the case....Rotoworld is on the same page as ProFootballTalk.com. :blink:

:lol:

I'd say so. The line of teams wanting an all-purpose back to carry a full-time load winds around the block.

Walker definately has the hands but there are questions if he has the size to be an every down back. The Kevin Faulk comparison is a fair one but don't think the Bills would use such a high pick on a RB.That said I could definately see a RB drafted somewhere from picks 3- and 4 if going to look for a guy to compete with Anthony Thomas to back up McGahee in 2007 and potentially replace him in 2008. I've mentioned Tony Hunt in the past as guy love in Round 3 but another guy a little later to consider would be Kenneth Darby.

if we could get Hunt in Round 3 i would be the happiest kid(lol) watching the draft. but i think he'll go in the 2nd.

if we address some needs in the trenches in round one, i wouldnt be completely opposed to snagging Hunt in the 2nd ourselves.

Rotoworld is citing bb.com as the source. Here's the link to Brown's article: http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?blogger_id=1

That Roto quote is so misleading it's not even funny. Brown is just speculating about Rhodes because he's a FA and comparing him to Willis. It doesn't say the Bills are LOOKING for an all-purpose back, just that they WANT one - just like every other team in the league!

It's like me saying - An article on BB.com says that the Bills are looking at Dominic Rhodes this off season, saying that "He'd be a primary target of the Bills." :blink:

Here's a scenario that wouldn't upset me. Resign Anthony Thomas, pick Tennessee's Chris Brown for cheap and trade off Willis MaGoofey for a first day pick. If Brown can stay healthy, he'd be a steal. Add the fact that Thomas is more than adequate in a shared backfield. As far as MaGahee goes, I just don't see him as this current administration's type of guy, especially after his contract expires. Get value for him and move on. In the last 3 years I think the RB position has become alot more expendable than in years past.

The guy you want is Walker from Notre Dame. He will be in the League for at least 10 years (barring injury), and will have a career somewhere between Kevin Faulk and Curtis Martin. Unbeleivable hands and great vision. He can probably be had for a second round pick.

So he'll be somewhere between a mediocre 3rd down back and one of the most reliable every-down backs in recent memory. Not exactly narrowing it down.

Here's a scenario that wouldn't upset me. Resign Anthony Thomas, pick Tennessee's Chris Brown for cheap and trade off Willis MaGoofey for a first day pick. If Brown can stay healthy, he'd be a steal. Add the fact that Thomas is more than adequate in a shared backfield. As far as MaGahee goes, I just don't see him as this current administration's type of guy, especially after his contract expires. Get value for him and move on. In the last 3 years I think the RB position has become alot more expendable than in years past.

Why would TEN be interested in dumping Chris Brown on the cheap?

Thomas Jones anybody?

As far as I know Thomas is under contract and don't see the Bears letting him go anytime soon. Though his brother, Julius, might be an interesting option but think a rookie is a better way to go.

Why would TEN be interested in dumping Chris Brown on the cheap?

He's an UFA so it might not be an option. Of course with Travis Henry and LenDale White in the fold, they might not be rushing (pun intended) to re-sign Brown. That being said, I'd predict Brown might looking to start somewhere and might be targetted by the Browns, Jets and Texans.

BINGO.

I haven't watched football as long as many here, but I've never seen a college RB with the vision, patience and field awareness of Darius Walker. Give him Reggie Bush's athletic ability and he is the next LT. Unfortunately, he was not even fast for college standards and while he was very crafty, his upper limit is a change of pace back in the NFL.

Since we have been discussing Thurmal lately, I'd offer to those of you who don't watch ND with regularity that Darius Walker ran screen passes like Thomas did in the early 90s. It was a thing of beauty to watch him set up his blockers like chess pieces.

I'd love to grab him in the 3rd.

I don't know how his blocking is but converting WR Josh Reed to a versatile RB would be an interesting thought. Before you discount such a theory keep in mind that they just got done doing the same type of scenario with Coy Wire. Wire used to play LB and Reed at one time was a RB.

You raise an interesting point there, Tipster!

In the last game or 2 of 2006, the Bills put Reed in the backfield. It was only a couple of plays where they did it, I think, but it certainly seems worth exploring IMO.

Reed had been a RB at LSU before becoming a WR, so maybe they will look into it as an option.

I also like this kid. Very versatile, not a real game breaker as far as speed goes but has great hands good vision and has played in a prostyle offense. You didnt hear his name much because of Quinn. Could be a steal in the 3rd.