Rub dirt on it and take a lap...

rockpile

Last Monday when I got to work, I was called in to see my supervisor. Turns out that to ring in the new year, corporate decided to shed a few pounds. So my department of eight is now a department of two, and I am no longer employed.

I am in no immediate need, which means I am blessed. But, for the first time in almost 27 years with the same company, I got up in the morning on a work day and had no place to go.

It was not a real surprise. We knew that the day would come when the revenues generated by our group would not justify keeping us. Business is cold and it was a business decision - good for the stockholders anyway.

My wife has been very supportive, but I am in the way since she runs a home daycare. Luckily my son lives near us and he set up a workstation for me so that I can update (well, actually create) my resume, search for jobs, register for unemployment, and all the other things you have to do when you get "released".

Luckily again, my wife was able to put me on her insurance beginning the day my current policy expires - no transition pains. Also, I will get 20 weeks severance and 4 weeks vacation, so I really am "on salary" until mid-June.

So, I get up every day, get ready for work, and go to my office at my son's house instead of work. I am starting to adjust to the new rules, but it is more than a little scary. Tomorrow I start sending out resumes. If the environment is right, there is a LOT I can do. If the environment is wrong there is a lot I can no longer do.

No jobs with fire drills. No "Devil Wears Prada" scenarios. I do not tolerate stupidity real well anymore. But, like I said, if the terms are right I have a LOT to offer, so I will play my hand as it has been dealt. That has worked for over five decades so it must be a good way to manage the cards.

Just sharing with you - do not feel sorry for me. I am one of the luckiest bastids ever born. I expect good to come of this, so I will get what I deserve. :thumbdown:

"You load sixteen tons, and what do you get?

Another day older and deeper in debt.

Saint Peter, don't you call me, 'cause I can't go;

I owe my soul to the company store... "

Merle Travis

I am in no immediate need, which means I am blessed. But, for the first time in almost 27 years with the same company, I got up in the morning on a work day and had no place to go.

Go to Nick's and drown your sorrows in a Garbage Plate. Or ask if they're hiring. Then let us get your employee discount on plates. :thumbdown:

Last Monday when I got to work, I was called in to see my supervisor. Turns out that to ring in the new year, corporate decided to shed a few pounds. So my department of eight is now a department of two, and I am no longer employed.

It was not a real surprise. We knew that the day would come when the revenues generated by our group would not justify keeping us. Business is cold and it was a business decision - good for the stockholders anyway.

My wife has been very supportive, but I am in the way since she runs a home daycare. Luckily my son lives near us and he set up a workstation for me so that I can update (well, actually create) my resume, search for jobs, register for unemployment, and all the other things you have to do when you get "released".

Luckily again, my wife was able to put me on her insurance beginning the day my current policy expires - no transition pains. Also, I will get 20 weeks severance and 4 weeks vacation, so I really am "on salary" until mid-June.

So, I get up every day, get ready for work, and go to my office at my son's house instead of work. I am starting to adjust to the new rules, but it is more than a little scary. Tomorrow I start sending out resumes. If the environment is right, there is a LOT I can do. If the environment is wrong there is a lot I can no longer do.

No jobs with fire drills. No "Devil Wears Prada" scenarios. I do not tolerate stupidity real well anymore. But, like I said, if the terms are right I have a LOT to offer, so I will play my hand as it has been dealt. That has worked for over five decades so it must be a good way to manage the cards.

Just sharing with you - do not feel sorry for me. I am one of the luckiest bastids ever born. I expect good to come of this, so I will get what I deserve. :thumbdown:

Merle Travis

good luck rock! if you decide oyu want a graduate degree in bio-med engineering, send your resume to me and i'll forward it to my boss. we're always looking for new people in the lab. the stipend isnt great, at about 20K a year, but the FSU football is good, and we can always use more people in our bills backers!

A friend of mine got laid off a year or so ago and had the last laugh. After he had found a new job his new boss wrote a nice letter of praise on company stationary and mailed it to his old boss thanking them for laying him off

That's an awesome story! :thumbdown:

Rock - good luck, but I'm sure you'll do fine. Maybe you'll totally luck out and find a job in a few weeks, thus collecting TWO paychecks for a few months! :)

There's been a few resume threads on here lately, so if you want extra sets of eyes to help you out, we'd be more than happy to help :blink:

CW

I've got a good feeling Tom. You'll be fine. Change stinks at first, but... wait a second... you're the sage in this conversation. You know all this.

Just know we've all got a good thought for you. :thumbdown:

Hey Rock, ever considered doing some type of consulting work? You've obviously been in a business for a long time (not sure what business), but with your medical covered and being paid thru June, now may be a decent time to try something on your own. Just a thought.

Best of luck.

Merle Travis

I hear the Cowboys are hiring...

Not giving any type of warning is very unprofessional. I have been "re-engineered" out of a job twice due to cut backs and outsourcing. Gotta keep the stock holders happy. Luckily both times I was able to land a better position within the same company while collecting a stay bonus from my previous position. I has actually worked out well for me. I know that someday my number will be up though, unless you are "senior management" you always run into the possibility of being "re-engineered".

Not giving any type of warning is very unprofessional. I have been "re-engineered" out of a job twice due to cut backs and outsourcing. Gotta keep the stock holders happy. Luckily both times I was able to land a better position within the same company while collecting a stay bonus from my previous position. I has actually worked out well for me. I know that someday my number will be up though, unless you are "senior management" you always run into the possibility of being "re-engineered".

To be fair, our department went from 65 to 12 people several years back. I knew this day was eventually coming - just did not have the date. Coulda been 6 weeks or 6 years! I survived almost a decade of down-sizing. I have no complaint.

Sent out two resumes today. :thumbsup:

Rock - this will be my 21st year w/ the same company - I've been through my share of 'downsizing' programs over that time and know how stressful that alone can be.

I give you tons of credit for your positive outlook and attitude. I know plenty of fellow co-workers over the years who have gotten laid off and ended up on their feet - many no doubt in better shape than if they had stayed. Keep the faith and best of luck.

good luck to you .

when do you start stomping grapes ?

I don't. Erynthered offered me way to little to get purple feet. :angry:

Handed in my severance letter today. I was waiting until my accrued vacation and 1/15 pay were in the bank, since they were only promised verbally.

I am keeping my mind open on this - new paradigms and all...

Still going to Mexico on Valentine's Day for a week. I love walking along the malecon, watching the sunsets on the ocean at night. Doesn't cost much for a bus from the Marina into Puerto Vallarta (40 cents I think) and buckets of beer on ice in the sun. Lunch in "old town" is cheap. Safer than eating at a fast food joint in the states!

We don't stay in the resort except for meals and drinks- too many arrogant or ignorant gringos. :lol: We prefer wandering on the Rambo busses with the locals and just explore. I really should learn some Spanish some day.

It is getting too developed though - it is sad.

God, life is hard. :mellow:

I don't. Erynthered offered me way to little to get purple feet. :lol:

Handed in my severance letter today. I was waiting until my accrued vacation and 1/15 pay were in the bank, since they were only promised verbally.

I am keeping my mind open on this - new paradigms and all...

Still going to Mexico on Valentine's Day for a week. I love walking along the malecon, watching the sunsets on the ocean at night. Doesn't cost much for a bus from the Marina into Puerto Vallarta (40 cents I think) and buckets of beer on ice in the sun. Lunch in "old town" is cheap. Safer than eating at a fast food joint in the states!

We don't stay in the resort except for meals and drinks- too many arrogant or ignorant gringos. B-) We prefer wandering on the Rambo busses with the locals and just explore. I really should learn some Spanish some day.

It is getting too developed though - it is sad.

God, life is hard. :rolleyes:

My best to you and yours. my friend. :thumbsup:

Rock, that's not great news but you're taking it well.

I've been there a few times myself and it's never pleasant.

Like LA said, "Your attitude, as always, is outstanding."

After reading your posts for the past several years it's easy to tell you're blessed with a very nice family too.

Good luck to you. :rolleyes:

Actually, once you are in senior management the chances of being "re-engineered" increase significantly.

You need to start your own gig, Rock. Not sure how. But you need to start your own gig.

Good luck. Your attitude, as always, is outstanding.

Thanks!

I wish my attitude WAS always outstanding. I am working on it.