One point on the past draft:

Seems to me that what made the cover 2 work in Tampa was a stout interior. Ok, at least one of the things that made it work. Sapp and Booger made things a mess in the middle. So, I don't necessarily think it's the scheme.

We have chosen to use the cover 2 light. I agree with you and hope that the coaching staff realizes their mistake and corrects it. (along with a few other things)

It's not about size is about talent.

Tripplet would be a great complimentary player (as he was his whole carrer), same goes to Kyle Williams, as of right now he's not starting material. That leaves out Anderson and the guy is worthless.

I like the cover two from the linebackers back.....I don't like the philosphy on the line. There are too many blockers getting through to the LB's and there are too many instances where the RB's have a complete head of steam by the time they get to the backers or secondary.

I HATE the cover 2....London said the same thing yesterday that the entire D has said all year...we need to stay in our gaps and focus on our individual roles for this defense to be successful...That's tough for these players to do..since the GW, they were taught to go toward the person with the ball...and hit them...it just seems overly complex with small DT's that get run over by OL, TE's, FB's and RB's....

I like the cover 2 - we just need a big DT who can move like a smaller one. A dominant talent in the middle.

Having two big fat guys in the middle is all fine and good, but there is a reason that we have been getting pressure on the qb this year and haven't in years past. We are getting pressure from the middle.

I HATE the cover 2....London said the same thing yesterday that the entire D has said all year...we need to stay in our gaps and focus on our individual roles for this defense to be successful...That's tough for these players to do..since the GW, they were taught to go toward the person with the ball...and hit them...it just seems overly complex with small DT's that get run over by OL, TE's, FB's and RB's....

856618[/snapback]

I don't buy into that. The players have been given a scheme and to succeed you need to follow the scheme. If you don't, that is free lancing...There is no place for that in the NFL.

IT NEEDS TO GO. This whole philosophy of having "light DTs that can disrupt the play" is HORSE-sh--. You need two STOUT DTs in the middle to keep OL off your linebackers. That's how you stop the run. Guys like Kyle Williams, Tim Anderson and "Mr. IR" need to go.

856350[/snapback]

:blush:

I like Kyle Williams, though.. he can stay as a back-up.

:blush:

I like Kyle Williams, though.. he can stay as a back-up.

856757[/snapback]

Kyle Williams with a full offseason of conditioning with the bills and learning more the pro-game can be our starting DT come next september.

If you listen to the experts (the guys who run it/coach it effectively) talk about the cover 2, they pretty much all say it takes 2-3 years to get everybody playing correctly in the system. It really has a lot to do with discipline, much like the west coast offense.

Also , the Cover 2 really has nothing to do with the type of front 4 you utilize.

Ideally, we need to get atleast one guy (DT) with both size AND quickness to make this thing work better.

If you listen to the experts (the guys who run it/coach it effectively) talk about the cover 2, they pretty much all say it takes 2-3 years to get everybody playing correctly in the system. It really has a lot to do with discipline, much like the west coast offense.

Also , the Cover 2 really has nothing to do with the type of front 4 you utilize.

Ideally, we need to get atleast one guy (DT) with both size AND quickness to make this thing work better.

856880[/snapback]

As long as your defensive line push can take a second or two from the QB's read time, yes, it doesn't matter.

The zone-like cover 2 can get you into mis-matches.

Seems to me that what made the cover 2 work in Tampa was a stout interior.  Ok, at least one of the things that made it work.  Sapp and Booger made things a mess in the middle.  So, I don't necessarily think it's the scheme.

We have chosen to use the cover 2 light.  I agree with you and hope that the coaching staff realizes their mistake and corrects it.  (along with a few other things)

856370[/snapback]

Sapp was right around 300 when he played in his prime in Tampa. McFarland was, and still is, right at 300.

We are in year 1, but I do miss the Ted Washington Pat Williams Sam Adams kind of lines. I think one of the issues is that the linemen in this d need to be agile and fast. We have read that as "small" since there aren't too many agile 330 pounders, but I think we are too small and not athletic enough right now for this to work. I would love to see McCargo emerge as a dominator, or us find another fit who can be a more physical presence without losing the speed that is needed for the scheme.

I definitely don't know quite enough about football to know if modifying or abandoning this scheme makes sense, but I think that learning it and improving some personnel will help us EXECUTE it better. And if we keep giving up 180+ rushing yards we are going to have to do something.

I guess I would want to ask some of the more knowledgeable football minds here what would happen if Pat Williams replaced Kyle Williams and the scheme remained the same? Would it fail because he couldn't move quickly to do what he is supposed to do and the whole thing falls apart? What about (for example's sake) Ngata who was renowned for his speed and agility for a man his size? Or does the penetration aspect of our scheme actually prefer someone to take less space so they can fit through the gaps, instead of taking more space so the running back can't fit through them?