One point on the past draft:

IT NEEDS TO GO. This whole philosophy of having "light DTs that can disrupt the play" is HORSE-sh--. You need two STOUT DTs in the middle to keep OL off your linebackers. That's how you stop the run. Guys like Kyle Williams, Tim Anderson and "Mr. IR" need to go.

856350[/snapback]

You can't consistently stop the run in the Tampa style defense. The Bucs of Sapp, Brooks and Lynch were always vulnerable to it.

But they made a lot of plays, got turnovers and kept the score down. In that sense it's been working for the Bills as well. I don't like it, but I have to admit it's growing on me as I start to accept the fact that you can give up about 200 yards on the ground every week and still have a chance to win, even with a below average offense and a lot of young players on both sides of the ball. The opposing offenses don't seem to kill clock and wear the defense down like they do against an average 2 gap front, which expends a bunch of energy going toe-to-toe with huge offensive lineman instead of running around them. Those running yards almost have the significance of passing yards when they are all gained 8 yards at a pop. And I do like having athletes on the field, it leads to higher level of violence.

The biggest downside is obviously that you can't stop the run consistently when you need to, so I would hope they add talent and grow to the point where they can effectively tighten up the front when they really have to late in games. As you said, guys like Kyle Williams and Tim Anderson aren't going to stop the run in a 2 gap front matched up man to man against good OL.

The biggest downside is obviously that you can't stop the run consistently when you need to, so I would hope they add talent and grow to the point where they can effectively tighten up the front when they really have to late in games.  As you said, guys like Kyle Williams and Tim Anderson aren't going to stop the run in a 2 gap front matched up man to man against good OL.

857162[/snapback]

I think one of the things to have the cover2 work is have a awesome pass rush.

The Bucs always had good pass rush in Simeon Rice and the colts have had

both Mathis and Freeney. We need to build more pressure from our DEs.

The one thing the cover2 guys have it going is they need a more ball control offense or an offense that can outscore the opponent. The Bucs are the example for the 1st type and the colts are the example for the 2nd type. If you stop the colts offense, then the colts D invariable cannot stop the other team.

IT NEEDS TO GO. This whole philosophy of having "light DTs that can disrupt the play" is HORSE-sh--. You need two STOUT DTs in the middle to keep OL off your linebackers. That's how you stop the run. Guys like Kyle Williams, Tim Anderson and "Mr. IR" need to go.

856350[/snapback]

Now why would you say that?

I don't get it. Levy and Jauron said we were going to improve there with Tripplett who got a ton of money. Forget the fact that he was a backup in Indy. Some said that McCargo was too small.

Something isn't lining up here. Gee, I wonder what it is.

Good luck in getting your wish. I think there are a couple of other positions that you need to fill before that happens.

You can't consistently stop the run in the Tampa style defense.  The Bucs of Sapp, Brooks and Lynch were always vulnerable to it.

But they made a lot of plays, got turnovers and kept the score down.  In that sense it's been working for the Bills as well.  I don't like it, but I have to admit it's growing on me as I start to accept the fact that you can give up about 200 yards on the ground every week and still have a chance to win, even with a below average offense and a lot of young players on both sides of the ball.  The opposing offenses don't seem to kill clock and wear the defense down like they do against an average 2 gap front, which expends a bunch of energy going toe-to-toe with huge offensive lineman instead of running around them.  Those running yards almost have the significance of passing yards when they are all gained 8 yards at a pop.  And I do like having athletes on the field, it leads to higher level of violence.

The biggest downside is obviously that you can't stop the run consistently when you need to, so I would hope they add talent and grow to the point where they can effectively tighten up the front when they really have to late in games.  As you said, guys like Kyle Williams and Tim Anderson aren't going to stop the run in a 2 gap front matched up man to man against good OL.

857162[/snapback]

Well said. You're making some great posts tonight. :doh:

Has anyone made it to the the Super Bowl and/or won the Super Bowl playing cover 2?  Other than Tampa, of course.  Just curious?

856614[/snapback]

Actually.....considering only a few teams have used the cover 2 exclusively in the last decade, the percentages for the teams using it winning superbowls is vastly higher than the other 28(ish) teams. Throw in the Bears & the chances of having a dominant D with the cover 2 look even better.

Bucs, Bears, Colts.....and now Rams, Bills....any others?....Lions???

We are in the first year of having the defence......sure we may end up like the Colts & never get it right(I think due to too much cap money spent on the offence).....but the Bucs & Bears(being the longest running cover 2 teams) have both achieved success with it. I like the odds.....also the fact that we have the coach who brought it to Chicago.

The Cover 2 is supposed to be fairly straight forward as a defensive scheme, but requires a lot of discipline and solid technique from players. It may be that it takes a fair amount of time for the defensive linemen (other than Tripplett who knhows the system already) to really get the technique down and become more disciplined. If hat is the case, Buffalo should get some imporovement next year just from having a year with the system under their belts. I hope they don't depend on that alone however. I think Buffalo does need to upgrade the talent level, particularly on the interior of the defensive line. I think a good player for ?Buffalo to target is Amobi Okoye from Louisville. He has Kyle Williams' smarts and dedication, but he has more natural strength and talent, and he's only 19 years old.

856350[/snapback]

The guy that is missed is Pat Williams. He can still play the run very well in Minnesota. The cover two is for a team with athletic defensive tackles, but in running situations, I think it would be a good idea to have a defensive tackle that their strength is stopping the run.

The Cover 2 is supposed to be fairly straight forward as a defensive scheme, but requires a lot of discipline and solid technique from players.  It may be that it takes a fair amount of time for the defensive linemen (other than Tripplett who knhows the system already) to really get the technique down and become more disciplined.  If hat is the case, Buffalo should get some imporovement next year just from having a year with the system under their belts.  I hope they don't depend on that alone however.  I think Buffalo does need to upgrade the talent level, particularly on the interior of the defensive line.  I think a good player for ?Buffalo to target is Amobi Okoye from Louisville.  He has Kyle Williams' smarts and dedication, but he has more natural strength and talent, and he's only 19 years old.

857573[/snapback]

The problem with this defense is HOW the line lines up. It's absurd to think you'll stop the run when there's a three-yard gap between each DL.

Quinn Pitcock (no, that's his real name) is one of the fastest DT's. You can watch him in the BCS Championship. He plays for THE Ohio State University. He's playing right at 300 lbs, and is the #1 DT on most boards.

857131[/snapback]

He sounds like the cat's meow ! Git er done Marv !